Mizzou

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mizzou still has an RPI of 35 somehow, but we have dropped to 60. How does a team with zero road wins have an RPI of 65?

I have to admit, their RPI is a bit of a mystery to me, particularly since their non-con home schedule was so amazingly horrible. That being said, the RPI forecaster site suggests it will even out down the stretch as their RPI was expected to be 38 while ours was 42, and that is prior to last night's games.

Speaking of RPIs, last night was pretty rough for us as only A@M won of past opponents. Losers included SC Upstate, Santa Clara, Washington, North Texas, Savannah St. and SIUE. We dropped 3-4 notches simply from all those losses.

Random observation that has nothing to do with Mizzou.

I saw that the Illini knocked off #1 Indiana. Illinois is not a good team, but they have so many opportunities at home to beat great teams that it makes them look good. They will have a crappy record and still make the tournament. If they are hot from the outside they might even win a couple of games. In reality they have no business being in the tournament.

The only part that stung was seeing Griffey make the cut for the game-winning layup. Soderberg offered him EARLY and couldn't get him to stay home, unfortunately.

I expect this assclown Alex Oriakhi or whatever the hell his name is to be suspended by the League for his comments:

Pressey (13 points, three assists, seven turnovers) then missed a 3 with about 5 seconds left that was rebounded by Bell, whose shot was blocked … one way or another.

“He got fouled, of course, and the refs didn’t call it,” MU forward Alex Oriakhi said. “Just the story of the game.”

Assclown. UConn't say those things in the SEC, son!

I have to admit, their RPI is a bit of a mystery to me, particularly since their non-con home schedule was so amazingly horrible. That being said, the RPI forecaster site suggests it will even out down the stretch as their RPI was expected to be 38 while ours was 42, and that is prior to last night's games.

Speaking of RPIs, last night was pretty rough for us as only A@M won of past opponents. Losers included SC Upstate, Santa Clara, Washington, North Texas, Savannah St. and SIUE. We dropped 3-4 notches simply from all those losses.

I hope Missouri loses every goddam game they play. F*ck them and their goddam obnoxious fans.

Vegas power rattings, which are structured for different purposes than RPI, have SLU tied for 30th and Missouri tied for 34th.

As for the question, "How is Mizzou ranked without a road win?" - so much of the rankings all season hinge upon the preseason rankings. It's a totally BS system for that reason. Mizzou was thought to be a very good team coming into the season, and they haven't done anything to warrant a major rise or fall in the rankings prior to last night's loss. Whereas a team that's on no one's radar might win a bunch of games early, taking a long time to creep into the top 25, and then a single loss will knock them out again, probably for the rest of the season. Most of the voters probably didn't even notice Mizzou didn't have a road win until this loss brought that storyline to the forefront. So it will hopefully bump them out and make room for a team that's playing better right now.

Mizzou will still make the tourney they play well at home and on a neutral court will do fine. However, watching Phil flip that ball over the bench into the seats reminded me of Rotnei's response to our pressure. Mizzou has no one else to run the point.....nice having three good guards who can handle pressure defense.

The only part that stung was seeing Griffey make the cut for the game-winning layup. Soderberg offered him EARLY and couldn't get him to stay home, unfortunately.

No big deal. We're fine without him. Hope he enjoys that moment because he will be sitting at home during March Madness for the second year in a row. Hopefully he can catch on tv his hometown Billikens play in the Dance for the second year in a row. I also hope that Connell Crossland enjoyed TCU's one conference win this year. He wanted to play in a "big time" conference even if it meant playing for a really sh!tty team, He turned down the chance to play here for an NCAA Tournament caliber team for two years. What a dumb a$$.

As for the question, "How is Mizzou ranked without a road win?" - so much of the rankings all season hinge upon the preseason rankings. It's a totally BS system for that reason. Mizzou was thought to be a very good team coming into the season, and they haven't done anything to warrant a major rise or fall in the rankings prior to last night's loss. Whereas a team that's on no one's radar might win a bunch of games early, taking a long time to creep into the top 25, and then a single loss will knock them out again, probably for the rest of the season. Most of the voters probably didn't even notice Mizzou didn't have a road win until this loss brought that storyline to the forefront. So it will hopefully bump them out and make room for a team that's playing better right now.

I was asking how is Mizzou ranked so high in RPI with zero road wins. RPI is supposed to place a premium on road wins.

I hope Missouri loses every goddam game they play. F*ck them and their goddam obnoxious fans.

this is a good post mb. i agree completely

I was asking how is Mizzou ranked so high in RPI with zero road wins. RPI is supposed to place a premium on road wins.

Gotcha. Maybe I was just answering all the Mizzou fans on Facebook, then. I've seen the question posed there and Twitter a few times now. This was the game that exposed Mizzou. 5-4 in a mediocre conference.

The polls are complete marketing gimmicks. They have very little value because of the reasons Pistol pointed out.

ESPN/CBS need the polls to market these games throughout the year, even if preseason #4 ends up post season #104.

While I agree that the polls mean nothing in terms of NCAA tournament bids/seeding and/or how good you really are, the unfortunate reality is that a lot of average fans (which comprises most hoops fans in general) are only concerned about Top25 rankings. Unless you have that stupid number next to your name, you're not worth watching.

Mizzou will still make the tourney they play well at home and on a neutral court will do fine. However, watching Phil flip that ball over the bench into the seats reminded me of Rotnei's response to our pressure. Mizzou has no one else to run the point.....nice having three good guards who can handle pressure defense.

Yeah, they did real well against Norfolk State last year on a neutral court.

After last year's debacle where someone broke down the poll vote by vote and caught at least one voter who clearly paid no attention to actual results (wasn't this documented on our board?), I'm kind of surprised no media outlets have ever challenged the voting procedures.

After watching Mizzou battle an A&M team we destroyed and watching Indiana against Illinois, I gotta say, these teams are just plaing at another level and any discussion that SLU could compete against these great "athletes" from the BCS conferences is ridiculous. I gotta agree with Mike DeArmond, Mizzou Cheerleader (Kansas City Chapter) who so eloqunetly dismissed RM's calls for a Mizzou/SLU series. ;)

After last year's debacle where someone broke down the poll vote by vote and caught at least one voter who clearly paid no attention to actual results (wasn't this documented on our board?), I'm kind of surprised no media outlets have ever challenged the voting procedures.

-media outlets questioning the worthfulness of a piece they publish? come on, Joe :P

After watching Mizzou battle an A&M team we destroyed and watching Indiana against Illinois, I gotta say, these teams are just plaing at another level and any discussion that SLU could compete against these great "athletes" from the BCS conferences is ridiculous. I gotta agree with Mike DeArmond, Mizzou Cheerleader (Kansas City Chapter) who so eloqunetly dismissed RM's calls for a Mizzou/SLU series. ;)

Ace, I get excited after watching top ranked team after top ranked team go down. Gives me hope that a veteran team that has flown under the radar most of the season and that seems to just now becoming the team they should, could really make some noise in March because there are no really dominant teams.