Any news on where Carter is transferring?

just FYI to a few of you:

KC does not lose a full year of eligibility; he can transfer and play in January 2014, I believe.

I also disagree with some of the evaluations -- he'll do well wherever he ends up, I think. The Big Ten is pretty stacked this year, but I think it's safe to say many programs would welcome him. I'll stand by Coach RM's original talking points. I also think that anyone at the NM game the other day should try to remember what Cory Remekun looked like as a freshman (i.e. helpless out there). Carter will be a very nice upperclassmen for someone.

How are you defining losing a year of eligibility? He can play in January 2014 but will be classified as a sophomore. He will only have 2 more years after that. Effectively he will only get to play 3 years in a 4-year window. To me that sounds like losing a year of eligibility.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i may be mistaken, but i think carter has to enroll somewhere this coming semester to be eligible after the fall semester anywhere. i.e. he cant enroll in august and play december/january. he has to enroll now or else he sits until fall of 2015.

His transfer year will go from January 2013 to January 2014. He will be a redshirt freshman and have 3.5 years of eligibility at his new school.

in your example he would be a soph january 2014, junior 2015 and senior 2015. he will only have 2.5 years remaining. if he indeed enrolls now and waits until fall of 2015 to start playing he may have 3 full years, but i believe there is no way he gets 3.5 years of actual playing time.

His transfer year will go from January 2013 to January 2014. He will be a redshirt freshman and have 3.5 years of eligibility at his new school.

in your example he would be a soph january 2014, junior 2015 and senior 2015. he will only have 2.5 years remaining. if he indeed enrolls now and waits until fall of 2015 to start playing he may have 3 full years, but i believe there is no way he gets 3.5 years of actual playing time.

Roy is correct. Look at Jabari Brown at Mizzou. He played 2 games at Oregon then transferred. He is a sophomore this year and will be a junior next year. Carter is in the same boat if he goes to a D1 school: he'll only get 3 years of on court time.

The one option he does have is to transfer and sit out ALL of next season. If he does that he can start the beginning of the 2014-15 season and still have 3 years of eligibility.

I think this was a number of issues. Part of which is the circumstance, ie came to play for majerus, but his injury played a role as well. He may not feel fully healed, he may not have reacted to being away from home and hurt..... I do not know.

It may also be that he did not take constructive criticism well, and that pushed him to leave, as Timmerman implied. IF he does not learn to take criticism and work hard to change, then he will be a living example of the Peter Principle. I wish him well, but I also think he bailed on his team mid season, the rules clearly allowed to do so, but I think it says something about him as well, and it is not favorable.

Roy is correct. Look at Jabari Brown at Mizzou. He played 2 games at Oregon then transferred. He is a sophomore this year and will be a junior next year. Carter is in the same boat if he goes to a D1 school: he'll only get 3 years of on court time.

The one option he does have is to transfer and sit out ALL of next season. If he does that he can start the beginning of the 2014-15 season and still have 3 years of eligibility.

My mistake then. Doesn't make sense to me why he would essentially lose a year of eligibility if he started playing at the semester break next year.

You have to sit a year from the date he enrolled at his new school. Therefore, if he is currently admitted to some other four-year, Division 1 basketball school his clock starts now. I think he'd be a red-shirt freshman as well. McBroom and Barnett both sat out their year and came/will come back as redshirt sophomores. He would not be eligible until December 2014, whenever the semester year flips over. Likely games now; in reverse, this is when you see guys declared acadmically ineligible as well.

In college, you have five years to compete/complete four years. In some cases, some get a sixth, medical redshirt year based on idividual circumstances. Carter has used up one half year. If he sits out the next full year Spring 2013 and Fall 2014, he's used up 3 parts of a ten-semester clock. I think he'd have three and a half years left, no? It all depends on his enrollment date at the next college.

Any truth to the rumor he has grade issues hanging over him too? If he was that "homesick" or whatever, it seems an immature kid could easily not understand just how important grades are if he wants to move on at his pace. Happened to my nephew; didn't like two teachers, quit going to their classes, two A's, two F's. That's a painfully expensive lesson for one's permanent acadmic reocrd. Does that possibly affected us in regard to the dreaded APR numbers?

All the books had him as the sleeper recruit in the A10 this year. I think where he goes will also serve to validate those marks as well.

Shoe & Roy: no, I may be wrong, but as someone said if you enroll right away, you do still have the basic 4 years of competition in 5 years rule. Yes, he would have to enroll for this month to do it; but if he does do it, then as far as eligibility he would still have the 3.5 years of athletic eligibility. It has nothing to do with status in the school of the year (freshman, soph., etc.).

I do not follow Tigers bball, but as for Jabari Brown at Mizzou -- did he enroll in January?

Again, no big deal and I may be wrong, or they may have changed the rule -- but this has been done many, many times.

As for the questions of attitude: it's plausible to suggest they are very good questions to ask. sorry no more on that one...

Argh.

Here is the deal with mid-season transfers. This is 100% accurate.

IF Carter enrolled at UIUC in January, for example, he would have to sit out 2 semesters.

You cannot split a redshirt between academic years, so he would not be able to use a redshirt in a Spring/Fall situation, only a Fall/Spring.

He would be enrolling at UIUC as a freshman going into his 2nd semester for basketball purposes.

He would then be eligible after the end of the 1st semester in 2013-2014, somewhere in the late December timeframe, basically missing the non-con schedule.

That would be his sophomore year of eligibility. So he would have missed 1/2 semester of his freshman year by transferring from SLU, and 1/2 of his sophomore year going to UIUC.

He would then be eligible to play 2014-2015 and 2015-2016 and be done playing at the end of that season.

He would still be eligible for a redshirt year which he could elect to take for the 2013-2014 and begin play as a RS Soph in 2014-2015. In that case he would be out of game shape for 3 total semesters including the end of 2012-2013 and the whole of 2013-2014.

I had heard from a friend who usually has dead on info that he just didn't have the respect level for those other than rickma and was a Jacknife in practice. Tried his way or the highway and was sent to the highway due to his ego.... Apparently not missed too much.

Argh.

Here is the deal with mid-season transfers. This is 100% accurate.

IF Carter enrolled at UIUC in January, for example, he would have to sit out 2 semesters.

You cannot split a redshirt between academic years, so he would not be able to use a redshirt in a Spring/Fall situation, only a Fall/Spring.

He would be enrolling at UIUC as a freshman going into his 2nd semester for basketball purposes.

He would then be eligible after the end of the 1st semester in 2013-2014, somewhere in the late December timeframe, basically missing the non-con schedule.

That would be his sophomore year of eligibility. So he would have missed 1/2 semester of his freshman year by transferring from SLU, and 1/2 of his sophomore year going to UIUC.

He would then be eligible to play 2014-2015 and 2015-2016 and be done playing at the end of that season.

He would still be eligible for a redshirt year which he could elect to take for the 2013-2014 and begin play as a RS Soph in 2014-2015. In that case he would be out of game shape for 3 total semesters including the end of 2012-2013 and the whole of 2013-2014.

So you agree with Shoe. 3 years of on Court playing time. 1/2 a year with the Bills (2 games) and then 2 1/2 with his next school.

Sure seems like a dumb decision to me. Why not just play out the year for us, injured or not, get a full year of academics under his belt, see who the new coach will be, enjoy playing with KM, MM, JJ and DE, learn from them, and then decide to transfer or not.

Shoe & Roy: no, I may be wrong, but as someone said if you enroll right away, you do still have the basic 4 years of competition in 5 years rule. Yes, he would have to enroll for this month to do it; but if he does do it, then as far as eligibility he would still have the 3.5 years of athletic eligibility. It has nothing to do with status in the school of the year (freshman, soph., etc.).

I do not follow Tigers bball, but as for Jabari Brown at Mizzou -- did he enroll in January?

Again, no big deal and I may be wrong, or they may have changed the rule -- but this has been done many, many times.

As for the questions of attitude: it's plausible to suggest they are very good questions to ask. sorry no more on that one...

In it's simplest form, the NCAA says if you play even 1 game in a season, you have used up that entire season of eligibility. Exceptions can be made for injuries. You can't redshirt for half a year. So if you transfer mid-season of this year and start playing mid-season the following year you have used up 2 years of eligibility. That is what would happen to Carter if he plays the second semester of next year.

He bailed on a commitment before he came to us and now has bailed on his commitment to us. He failed to bond with the existing team and coaching staff, which from a distance seems to be a pretty happy group. Actually this team looks like a lot of fun to play with, at least for anyone who appreciates playing shutdown defense.

He could be suffering from home sickness or he could be a head case. He has enough talent to land somewhere, but I suspect high division 1 schools will be wary. No one wants to waste a scholarship on a guy who never finds happiness. He might end up being a star somewhere or he may just never fit in. It was painful watching Willie Reed make decisions that contributed to the unraveling of his career, hopefully this young man can get his back on track.

Frank Haith @ Mizzou seems to be quite good at getting short term players. High school kids in St. Louis should look at the Bills instead of getting transfers coming in to take the limelight. Our freshmen and underclass men may serve as practice line but like Cory Remeken they may be stars their senior years.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="BilliKitty" data-cid="334477" data-time="1357253418"><p>

I had heard from a friend who usually has dead on info that he just didn't have the respect level for those other than rickma and was a Jacknife in practice. Tried his way or the highway and was sent to the highway due to his ego.... Apparently not missed too much.</p></blockquote>

This is pretty accurate.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="BilliKitty" data-cid="334477" data-time="1357253418"><p>

I had heard from a friend who usually has dead on info that he just didn't have the respect level for those other than rickma and was a Jacknife in practice. Tried his way or the highway and was sent to the highway due to his ego.... Apparently not missed too much.</p></blockquote>

This is pretty accurate.

If this was the case (and it sounds reasonable), then I say good riddance. Better to get a malcontent like Carter out soon so that he doesn't poison the whole group. The rest of the team seems to have great work ethic and a positive attitude. No need for lazy or disrespectful players.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="RUBillsFan" data-cid="334495" data-time="1357267392"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="The Pelican" data-cid="334493" data-time="1357266173"><p><blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="BilliKitty" data-cid="334477" data-time="1357253418"><p><br />

I had heard from a friend who usually has dead on info that he just didn't have the respect level for those other than rickma and was a Jacknife in practice. Tried his way or the highway and was sent to the highway due to his ego.... Apparently not missed too much.</p></blockquote><br />

<br />

This is pretty accurate.</p></blockquote>

<br />

If this was the case (and it sounds reasonable), then I say good riddance. Better to get a malcontent like Carter out soon so that he doesn't poison the whole group. The rest of the team seems to have great work ethic and a positive attitude. No need for lazy or disrespectful players.</p></blockquote>

I wouldn't say the staff is shedding tears over this move.

The staff may not be shedding tears but they won't have to deal with the massive hole in our lineup in 2 years after 8 of our top 9 players graduate. The new coaches will.

I'm not saying we should have kept him on as I have no inside info whatsoever, but I do wonder if a coaching staff that planned on being here two years down the road when he was going to likely get 30+ minutes per game would have the same view.

Kid is getting a very tough time for making what I consider a very reasonable decision.

He doesn't owe us anything. He doesn't really owe SLU or Crews much either. He's 18 years old and has his future to look out for and needs to do what he and his family think is best for that future.

It sucks he left. It would be too bad if he were a "toxic" influence. But that's how I view the situation and I don't begrudge Carter at all.

Kid is getting a very tough time for making what I consider a very reasonable decision.

He doesn't owe us anything. He doesn't really owe SLU or Crews much either. He's 18 years old and has his future to look out for and needs to do what he and his family think is best for that future.

It sucks he left. It would be too bad if he were a "toxic" influence. But that's how I view the situation and I don't begrudge Carter at all.

He could have stuck around until the end of the year and finished a season off. Maybe the next coach would have been appealing enough to stay here. He gains nothing by transferring mid-year, he actually loses a year of eligibility.

He doesn't owe us anything, but he's costing himself a year of college basketball. His advisors aren't very bright just from that aspect.

However, if he couldn't integrate into this team with the way they play together and look out for each other, good bye and good riddance. Good luck in your next stop, I hope you get a head coach that will coddle you.