davidnark

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a lot of ask

Not really, that's his job.

Anyone that has been following the conference realignments over the last few years will note that the schools that successfully get invited to new conferences keep the cards close to their vest and don't reveal intentions either way.

You don't burn current bridges and don't act like the drunk girl at the keg party fawning over the new conference potential - see Mizzou with the Big Ten. When you are officially invited to the new conference is when you publicly acknowledge your interest.

Ok, let's say we don't get picked up by the 7 "elite" Catholic schools. Instead they choose X, Butler, and UD. May should call McGlade and tell her to go after Creighton, Valpo, and Wichita St, and offer Zaga and St. Marys admission once Charlotte and Temple check out. Grow a set, A-10, we've got some great programs.

Somehow everyone has placed these 7 schools on some kind of golden pedestal as being bb powerhouses. Hell, I'd venture to say if you took the top 7 A-10 schools this year and played the big 7 in a challenge tourney, the A-10 would win 5 or 6 of those games.

Ok, let's say we don't get picked up by the 7 "elite" Catholic schools. Instead they choose X, Butler, and UD. May should call McGlade and tell her to go after Creighton, Valpo, and Wichita St, and offer Zaga and St. Marys admission once Charlotte and Temple check out. Grow a set, A-10, we've got some great programs.

Somehow everyone has placed these 7 schools on some kind of golden pedestal as being bb powerhouses. Hell, I'd venture to say if you took the top 7 A-10 schools this year and played the big 7 in a challenge tourney, the A-10 would win 5 or 6 of those games.

I totally agree with this. The only thing most of the big 7 have going for them is history or the Big East name. Georgetown & Marquette are the cream of the crop, the rest would be middle of the pack in the A-10. The main problem with the A-10 is the bottom feeders. It would be nice to now have to split TV money and NCAA shares with them and the easiest way to do that is to join up with the big 7.

You are wrong ...the A-10 would not win 5 or 6 ....they would sweep

Using a neutral court and the following matchups....

Marq vs VCU

GT vs Butler

Prov vs SLU

SH vs St. Joe

St. John vs St. Bon

DeP vs Day

Vill vs Rich

An A-10 sweep....7 wins

You are wrong ...the A-10 would not win 5 or 6 ....they would sweep

Using a neutral court and the following matchups....

Marq vs VCU

GT vs Butler

Prov vs SLU

SH vs St. Joe

St. John vs St. Bon

DeP vs Day

Vill vs Rich

An A-10 sweep....7 wins

Wiz,

Not to be argumentative, but you are a man of numbers and probabilities. I highly doubt the probability of the A-10 winning all of those match-ups is 100%. Therefore, I would guess 5 or 6 wins is statistically more accurate (similar to how the projected record on Kempom does not equal the sum of individual games).

If we don't make the cut, I'd like to see us combine with some old big east basketball programs...Cincinnati, Memphis, Temple, Connecticut

http://www.csnwashin...-next-bold-move

scrambling schools Connecticut and Cincinnati geographically are location-compatible to the Northeast-Midwestern based Atlantic 10 conference. That obviously applies to Temple, which is currently still in the Atlantic 10, but is leaving at the end of this season along with Charlotte, dropping the Atlantic 10 from 16 to 14 teams starting in 2013-14. Recent Final Four participants Butler and VCU joined the A10 this season.

In conversations with a source familiar with the Atlantic 10's interests, Memphis would be another likely target despite its outlier location because of its strong basketball tradition.

From there, the thinking is as follows: Those four specific Big East schools leave there football programs in the Big East or elsewhere while moving the additional sports including basketball to the Atlantic 10.

The basketball-seven moved in part because of the dominance football had over their lives, even though this had been the case for years. The difference now is that instead of those gridiron schools being neighboring besties like Syracuse and Pittsburgh, they were soon going to be far-flung programs like SMU and Tulane.

Connecticut and Cincinnati could soon face this exact dilemma should grand plans of a cross-country, two-division conference not pan out or a long-awaited invitation from the ACC get lost in the mail. However, most expect additional changes to the major power conference lineup, though the when and where remain unclear, so perhaps Connecticut and Cincinnati are best served waiting for the next conference shoe to drop.

Rather than staying with geographical undesirable schools that for the most part do not offer either a football or a basketball Q-rating boost, perhaps UConn and Cincinnati (along with Temple and Memphis) hitch a ride with the Atlantic 10.

So why would the Atlantic 10 agree to take on schools knowing they could leave at any minute? Well, for starters, the A10 is already in that scenario should Butler or VCU take off. Regardless, the conference's basketball identity would receive a major boost by adding three-time NCAA champion Connecticut plus the formidable trio of Cincinnati, Memphis and Temple.

Respectfully disagree. If we get in The B7 + some quality teams like X, Butler, Dayton, Creighton, we will be set NOW, in a much stronger situation than the current A-10 with all the weak teams and lousy TV and lousy geography.

The issue is, it will be a very attractive, clear situation NOW to get a quality new coach NOW as well as top notch players. All will know NOW.

IF we do not and the B7 takes X-Butler-Dayton (whatever) then we will be in scramble mode... for awhile.... and who knows what teams and when? A mess IMO. Sure, eventually it might be OK. With our program still on the Majerus effect upswing, we cannot afford to have uncertainty.

Wiz,

Not to be argumentative, but you are a man of numbers and probabilities. I highly doubt the probability of the A-10 winning all of those match-ups is 100%. Therefore, I would guess 5 or 6 wins is statistically more accurate (similar to how the projected record on Kempom does not equal the sum of individual games).

You are correct ...taken as a whole it projects out to 5 or 6...

I was really answering slu72's question of their best 7 vs ours....the answer shows that the A-10 top 7 are better than the BE 7...Putting it in tourney form made it more dramatic.

You are correct ...taken as a whole it projects out to 5 or 6...

I was really answering slu72's question of their best 7 vs ours....the answer shows that the A-10 top 7 are better than the BE 7...Putting it in tourney form made it more dramatic.

BillsFan-

Way to call out and correct The Wiz. Have you thought about taking over his role of projecting the point spread every game? You seem more adept with numbers.

Thank You

Respectfully disagree. If we get in The B7 + some quality teams like X, Butler, Dayton, Creighton, we will be set NOW, in a much stronger situation than the current A-10 with all the weak teams and lousy TV and lousy geography.

The issue is, it will be a very attractive, clear situation NOW to get a quality new coach NOW as well as top notch players. All will know NOW.

IF we do not and the B7 takes X-Butler-Dayton (whatever) then we will be in scramble mode... for awhile.... and who knows what teams and when? A mess IMO. Sure, eventually it might be OK. With our program still on the Majerus effect upswing, we cannot afford to have uncertainty.

mb please explain how the a-10 currently is "lousy geography" but the current big east is not lousy geography?

Wiz,

The Wiz is infallible. Just like the pope.

mb please explain how the a-10 currently is "lousy geography" but the current big east is not lousy geography?

Not in granite yet, of course, but we might be in the "west" with three new closer midwest fan identifiable rivals DePaul, Marquette, Creighton, then Butler, Dayton/Xavier (one might be in the east").

That's three new teams for us in the Midwest. We would play them all for sure. Then east GT, Nova, SH, Prov, St. Johns, maybe once a year, maybe once every other year. It depends on the alignments, who gets in, what "they" decide, though I would assume we play all teams once a year.

Either way I assume we pick up DePaul, Marquette & Creighton which eliminates / displaces ridiculous painful trips to 3 trash teams like St. Bonnie, LaSalle, Fordham, RI, GW, Charlotte, take your pick. Three better / closer / more meaningful trips, net.

Absolutely right!