BE7 Future Conference

davidnark

Respectfully disagree. If we get in The B7 + some quality teams like X, Butler, Dayton, Creighton, we will be set NOW, in a much stronger situation than the current A-10 with all the weak teams and lousy TV and lousy geography.

The issue is, it will be a very attractive, clear situation NOW to get a quality new coach NOW as well as top notch players. All will know NOW.

IF we do not and the B7 takes X-Butler-Dayton (whatever) then we will be in scramble mode... for awhile.... and who knows what teams and when? A mess IMO. Sure, eventually it might be OK. With our program still on the Majerus effect upswing, we cannot afford to have uncertainty.

I'd prefer we be selected as well. That said, I'm a little sick of the arrogance of these 7 schools are displaying, and the supposed groveling SLU would have to do to get in. Out of these elite 7, it's only likely 2 are dance quality whereas the A-10 might get in 4 or 5 this year.

I'll grant you we have some perennial bottom feeders in the A-10 and I wish we could dump them as well. I think those schools would be better served being in the Colonial or the MAAC. But it is what it is, and we're in no position to demand they exit.

But you missed my point entirely. If we are not given one of Willie Wonka's golden tickets, the A-10 shouldn't take the departure of 3 of its elite programs laying down. They should go after 3 solid mid west programs to replace them, ie Creighton, WSU, and Valpo come to mind. Then when Charlotte and Temple leave, go after the elite WC programs before the elite East 10 decide to make a move, and maybe pay the weak sisters to hit the road since they've shown no tangible commitment to improving their programs.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd prefer we be selected as well. That said, I'm a little sick of the arrogance of these 7 schools are displaying, and the supposed groveling SLU would have to do to get in. Out of these elite 7, it's only likely 2 are dance quality whereas the A-10 might get in 4 or 5 this year.

I'll grant you we have some perennial bottom feeders in the A-10 and I wish we could dump them as well. I think those schools would be better served being in the Colonial or the MAAC. But it is what it is, and we're in no position to demand they exit.

But you missed my point entirely. If we are not given one of Willie Wonka's golden tickets, the A-10 shouldn't take the departure of 3 of its elite programs laying down. They should go after 3 solid mid west programs to replace them, ie Creighton, WSU, and Valpo come to mind. Then when Charlotte and Temple leave, go after the elite WC programs before the elite East 10 decide to make a move, and maybe pay the weak sisters to hit the road since they've shown no tangible commitment to improving their programs.

I don't think we should grovel either. We could use some more midwestern flavor imo. Eastern arrogance rubs me the wrong way.

slu72 great post. and i wonder if brenda (A-10 commish) has thought about turning the tables on the be7? if we took the top 7 schools in the A-10 right now and matched them up with the be7 best vs best, 2nd best vs 2nd best, etc, the A-10 would likely sweep that challenge today.

granted if we lose butler and xu plus temple leaving, that hurts, but by no means is it death. we would still be a very formidable conference and with some key pickups could recover nicely.

now from a "like minded" institution standpoint, i want to be with the be7, but let it happen as it will and we will be fine regardless.

-72 I am not seeing the arrogance that is upsetting you, what am I missing?

-do you think xavier is groveling?

-and why in your scenario does Creighton leave the Valley for the A10? did you post in the other thread how their geography would be against them inthe revised Beast? in the revamped A10 scenario that geography is even more askew - sorry if that was not you

First of all, the BE 7 have to figure out if they are going to be all catholic or not - not saying they need to be but they have to make that decision. Second, they have to decide if they are going to be evenly distributed geographically speaking. Third, if the TV market is a consideration and I would think it is then Dayton is trumped on two levels - small market, you get Ohio with X. Creighton is interesting but how do they really fit in? - I mean they would be way out of the minds of the eastern teams and frankly how do they excite the Chicago market or Milwaukee for that matter. I see SLU having a bigger TV market, gives a bigger slice of the midwest interest that they do not already have and we are already on the minds of the eastern teams. That being said - who knows what will happen. I do think that Biondi's interest is good so this might happen.

-72 I am not seeing the arrogance that is upsetting you, what am I missing?

-do you think xavier is groveling?

-and why in your scenario does Creighton leave the Valley for the A10? did you post in the other thread how their geography would be against them inthe revised Beast? in the revamped A10 scenario that geography is even more askew - sorry if that was not you

I am not seeing the arrongance either. The fact is we really are not seeing or hearing much of anything out of the 7 at all. That is the part that is a little frustrating, but understandable at this point.

I agree with your point, understood. We are not far apart at all.

I am just saying timing wise we need clarity, now. And that it would be imperative for us to get in with the B7 + the identified quality teams, now.

For coaching hire and recruiting before we lose momentum.

The A-10's recovery might take quite awhile, and might not match at all the opportunity presented with B7 + X-Butler-Dayton-Creighton scenario. It could be a mess with the same lousey programs remaining in the A-10 and also a geographcial nightmare if they go to the west coast.

We shall see.

Here is an update from SI's Pete Thamel. He says Catholic League is going to 12 with SLU as the favorite to be the 12th team. The page won't allow me to copy and paste.

Says Xavier, Butler, Creighton, and Dayton are definitely in.

http://m.si.com/6277...lic-7-big-east/

Thamel says VCU is "light years ahead" of SLU in terms of facilities and says that Dayton and Xavier have big arenas (and implies SLU lacks in this regard). All of this has me concluding that he doesn't really have a clue as to what teams will or won't be included and that he is merely speculating based upon his owned misinformed perceptions.

Thamel says VCU is "light years ahead" of SLU in terms of facilities and says that Dayton and Xavier have big arenas (and implies SLU lacks in this regard). All of this has me concluding that he doesn't really have a clue as to what teams will or won't be included and that he is merely speculating based upon his owned misinformed perceptions.

He is otherwise right though about recent success and SLU being a minor player in a major market.

He is otherwise right though about recent success and SLU being a minor player in a major market.

So the guy pulled up some readily-available stats showing recent records and NCAA results to make statements about recent success, but failed to realize that SLU recently opened one of the top practice and game facilities in the country -- easily the best among the candidate schools? He also didn't notice that SLU has consistently been among the top teams in the A-10 in attendance along with Dayton and Xavier. Thamel is a former NY Times recorder who has generated a lot of controversy from writing questionable articles based upon incorrect facts and rumors. Google his name, and you will find a lot of his colored reporting history.

Ajerseyguy says the new league will most likely start in. 2014 under the Big East name.

Says 10 but could quickly expand to 12.

Perhaps the quickly expand term means that the 2 additional schools wouldn't be announced soon but would still be there for opening year?

When will this all come to a head? At first the BE7 said their first year would be 2015. Is it now 2014? If so, does the decision get made before season's end? Timing really matters here. I do agree with Thamel that the St. Louis market is a non-factor. The sets just don't tune in for Bills b-ball, last year's success notwithstanding.

I disagree - the sets do not tune in because we are on 3-4 different channels and you have to really look for us. Also, if we had sustained success more would watch - I can ensure you that DePaul is the last in line in the Chicago market behind IL, Wisc, ND, NW by a big margin and everybody still touts DePaul as being in Chicago.

Still speculation, but the reporter says 12, because it's all about inventory and improved chances at the NCAA dollar pool. The league's coaches would prefer 10 and round robin seasonal play, but they won't make the final decision. Other highlights, the first 4 locks will be X, Butler, Creighton, Dayton. SLU is likely number 5, but not because of TV market since this league is not like the major conferences and will never have its own network. We just fit the mold better than most other options out there. VCU is mentioned as an outside possibility but unlikely since they don't fit the mold, although their success cannot be denied. St. Joes is likely out because Nova pitched a fit when they allowed Temple in last year, and would likely do the same w/ the Redhawks. He also noted X might not like Dayton being included, but the 7 would like them because of their arena and fan base. Bottom line; this sounds promising but is still speculation. I kind of figured if they went to 12 we'd be a lock, however, this article is saying that's not the case. We'd just be the best choice because of our profile; private and location. Time for Fr. B to be working the phones saying we're committed to bb and, even though we've lost RM, we very much want to continue what he started here. Wouldn't hurt our cause if we knocked off Butler and VCU this year.

Bingo.

When will this all come to a head? At first the BE7 said their first year would be 2015. Is it now 2014? If so, does the decision get made before season's end? Timing really matters here. I do agree with Thamel that the St. Louis market is a non-factor. The sets just don't tune in for Bills b-ball, last year's success notwithstanding.

That wasn't his reasoning, Dude, he just said TV markets are not that significant to this league since they'll never have their own network like the Big10, the SEC, et al. I don't know this guy's bona fides either, but it does make sense to go to 12 just to increase chances at NCAA invites and dollars. I didn't understand the VCU facilities argument either, but he said they're likely a long shot because they don't fit the profiles of the member schools. And would GU want them anyways?

If it indeed goes to 12, Biondi and May have to start their schmoozing tour.

Yep... If Biondi cannot make this happen, I will have no faith in him going forward. For Christ's sake, He's a GTown Alumnus... And GTown has serious authority among the C7.... Make it happen.

If I'm not mistaken SLU was founded as a sister school by GU founders.

If I'm not mistaken SLU was founded as a sister school by GU founders.

Pretty sad as Biondi has let us slip to within a few spots of boone county community college.

Yep... If Biondi cannot make this happen, I will have no faith in him going forward. For Christ's sake, He's a GTown Alumnus... And GTown has serious authority among the C7.... Make it happen.

You think him being a G Town alumnus is significant?

I, myself, do not.

I think we are well positioned in many ways but I have no faith in Biondi to be of any positive influence.