Big East Break-Up Thread (Merged)

The Wiz

Looks like Nark just retweeted a tweet from Dick Vitale that he'd want Butler, SLU, Creighton, Xavier and St. Joes. So there it is, a done deal.

For this to be official, I believe someone has to 2nd the retweeting of the original tweet via twitter

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since everyone is sharing BE7 conjecture today, some of you might like to know that Bob Ryan talked about this on Tony Kornheiser's radio show. Bob Ryan said that "[the BE7] have to go after Xavier and Dayton and they have to come up with at least 3 more- they would ideally like to come up with 5 more to have 2 six team divisions, I know that." He then goes on to speculate that the others could be Butler, SLU, and Creighton.

Now whether Bob Ryan said he "knows that" offhand or he really knows that I haven't a clue. But I give that more weight than a one-off Gonzaga blog. For the fact checkers out there, here is the link: http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8755655. The BE7 stuff starts around the 27 minute mark.

Since everyone is sharing BE7 conjecture today, some of you might like to know that Bob Ryan talked about this on Tony Kornheiser's radio show. Bob Ryan said that "[the BE7] have to go after Xavier and Dayton and they have to come up with at least 3 more- they would ideally like to come up with 5 more to have 2 six team divisions, I know that." He then goes on to speculate that the others could be Butler, SLU, and Creighton.

Now whether Bob Ryan said he "knows that" offhand or he really knows that I haven't a clue. But I give that more weight than a one-off Gonzaga blog. For the fact checkers out there, here is the link: http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8755655. The BE7 stuff starts around the 27 minute mark.

Bobby Ryan used to have drinks with Tip O'Neil and dream about this Catholic league 30 years ago. Props to that Ted Williams fund that unthawed him for this huge story.

Bobby Ryan used to have drinks with Tip O'Neil and dream about this Catholic league 30 years ago. Props to that Ted Williams fund that unthawed him for this huge story.

Dave got the info from someone who works with scheduling and planning for most of the midwest schools. His source was spot on, but maybe prematurely to any announcements.

Dave got the info from someone who works with scheduling and planning for most of the midwest schools. His source was spot on, but maybe prematurely to any announcements.

I bet it was Mr. Creighton himself, Bob Gibson.

Question about this new conference:

When this conference forms, what happens to the old Big East members such as Cincy, Uconn, Temple etc.? With all the new additions would they still be able to form a conference or are those teams coming for football only? If they do form a conference, would that have to take away another at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament because there is another conference or how do you guys think that will work?

I found this on the Dayton BB website UDPride posted by shapanud

Interesting article from nj.com (New Jersey)

http://www.nj.com/co...conference.html

How Big East's basketball schools decided to finally break off to form their own conference

by Brendan Prunty/The Star-LedgerThe Star-Ledger

excerpt

The current consensus is to have a 12-team league. The feeling among the head coaches of the seven schools making the move is that it allows the league to be able to still draw a sizable portion of automatic and at-large NCAA Tournament bids, while still keeping all teams relevant. There is a change that 14- or even 16-team leagues could be an option, but, as one person put it: "That puts this league right back into the same situation we have in the Big East -- it's too big."

Here are some good tweets from timmerman

@tomtimm: Villanova AD said Sunday that league would look for schools that are "attractive media entities."

@tomtimm: Jerseyguy also says Old Big East will look at selling name to New Big East.

@tomtimm: Jerseyguy notes that G'town was leader in movement to leave Big East. Good sign for SLU. Read more: http://t.co/FBuUqu7i

Question about this new conference:

When this conference forms, what happens to the old Big East members such as Cincy, Uconn, Temple etc.? With all the new additions would they still be able to form a conference or are those teams coming for football only? If they do form a conference, would that have to take away another at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament because there is another conference or how do you guys think that will work?

Only Boise St., San Diego St., East Carolina and Navy were coming on as football-only, and Navy is still three years out. Houston, SMU, Memphis, UCF, Temple and Tulane are coming in as full members, with Tulane joining in 2014. USF, Cincy and UConn are the only existing members left after the BE7 leaves after this season. This makes next year's conferences look like

• USF
  • Cincy
  • UConn
  • SMU
  • Memphis
  • Temple
  • Houston
  • UCF
So, 8 basketball teams for 2013-2014, with Tulane bringing it to 9 the following year. Perhaps they bring in ECU and Navy as full members now, but I can't imagine that Cincy and UConn are going to stand pat now. As far as auto-bid, I'm sure the NCAA will allow them to keep one as they will have 8 teams next season, but who even knows how this is going to play out and if this conference will even exist next season.

I found this on the Dayton BB website UDPride posted by shapanud

Interesting article from nj.com (New Jersey)

http://www.nj.com/co...conference.html

How Big East's basketball schools decided to finally break off to form their own conference

by Brendan Prunty/The Star-LedgerThe Star-Ledger

excerpt

The current consensus is to have a 12-team league. The feeling among the head coaches of the seven schools making the move is that it allows the league to be able to still draw a sizable portion of automatic and at-large NCAA Tournament bids, while still keeping all teams relevant. There is a change that 14- or even 16-team leagues could be an option, but, as one person put it: "That puts this league right back into the same situation we have in the Big East -- it's too big."

Don't you know that head coaches thoughts mean nothing and what they say about this situation has no relevance. Brian, Skip, you guys got my back on this one?

Only Boise St., San Diego St., East Carolina and Navy were coming on as football-only, and Navy is still three years out. Houston, SMU, Memphis, UCF, Temple and Tulane are coming in as full members, with Tulane joining in 2014. USF, Cincy and UConn are the only existing members left after the BE7 leaves after this season. This makes next year's conferences look like

• USF
  • Cincy
  • UConn
  • SMU
  • Memphis
  • Temple
  • Houston
  • UCF
So, 8 basketball teams for 2013-2014, with Tulane bringing it to 9 the following year. Perhaps they bring in ECU and Navy as full members now, but I can't imagine that Cincy and UConn are going to stand pat now. As far as auto-bid, I'm sure the NCAA will allow them to keep one as they will have 8 teams next season, but who even knows how this is going to play out and if this conference will even exist next season.

Just noticed that Louisville and Rutgers are supoposed to stay until 2014 and Notre Dame may not join ACC until 2015, so that makes 10 (maybe 11) teams for 2013-14, unless the split by the BE7 is delayed until 2014-15, then it will be 17 or 18 with a drop down to 9 or 10 in 2014-15, assuming no other departures or additions (which is HIGHLY doubtful.)

@tomtimm: Villanova AD said Sunday that league would look for schools that are "attractive media entities."

Good news for SLU, bad news for Creighton

Here are some good tweets from timmerman

@tomtimm: Jerseyguy also says Old Big East will look at selling name to New Big East.

@tomtimm: Jerseyguy notes that G'town was leader in movement to leave Big East. Good sign for SLU. Read more: http://t.co/FBuUqu7i

We look to be in good shape to join the New Big East