Big East Break-Up Thread (Merged)

The Wiz

Box, it's an outlet for our nervous anxiety, which Billiken fans have in abundance, and why not? We know we don't control squat in whatever's coming down, so we speculate to the tune of 670+ posts that mean nothing, but they make us feel better, or, conversely, cause us increased angst and stress.

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate when we force a kid who sucks to transfer for his own good

i hate it when we recruit a kid that sucks and we promise to make them better as a student, person and player when we apparently only care about them as a player.

I am not saying this is even being thought about at this point by the BE7, but I am starting to think bigger is actually better even if it dilutes NCAA shares initially. I think they almost have to go coast to coast for long term survival. Numbers and size of footprint will matter. You are going to need to need to set up your own cable network to compete and give as many people as possible a reason to want it on their system. You are going to need as much clout as possible both in the NCAA and in the political arena. To have a say when you end up with 64 teams in four mega conferences you need to be more than an east coast centric league made up of smaller schools. If you want to be conference of similar schools you better have a bigger footprint and more members.

I think they have to go to 18 or 21, with three divisions (one out west), and you have to think about bringing in BYU. With a western division (with 18 or 21 teams total) you could have a cable channel prime time line-up most nights during basketball season of games starting at 6 CST, 8 CST, and 10 CST. You become the channel for college hoop junkies. More people across the country have a reason to care about your league and what is happening with teams far away from them

at least he's nailing something...

shoot box has no issues. he is constantly confused with matthew mcwhatever. below is a picture of box on a recent trip to cancun. he had to spend most of the trip in his condo as the cougars wouldnt leave him alone. i feel sorry for box. i never have that problem.

Posted Image

I am not saying this is even being thought about at this point by the BE7, but I am starting to think bigger is actually better even if it dilutes NCAA shares initially. I think they almost have to go coast to coast for long term survival. Numbers and size of footprint will matter. You are going to need to need to set up your own cable network to compete and give as many people as possible a reason to want it on their system. You are going to need as much clout as possible both in the NCAA and in the political arena. To have a say when you end up with 64 teams in four mega conferences you need to be more than an east coast centric league made up of smaller schools. If you want to be conference of similar schools you better have a bigger footprint and more members.

I think they have to go to 18 or 21, with three divisions (one out west), and you have to think about bringing in BYU. With a western division (with 18 or 21 teams total) you could have a cable channel prime time line-up most nights during basketball season of games starting at 6 CST, 8 CST, and 10 CST. You become the channel for college hoop junkies. More people across the country have a reason to care about your league and what is happening with teams far away from them

-very interesting take, imo, I could see that working and for other sports you could reduce what travel would be by only playing teams in your division

I like that take, I'm just not sure the BE7 have the forward looking thought process to make that happen. The majority of the rumors we've seen have focused on "smaller is better" suggesting they want to be the "Mountain West of the East."

By the way, the MWC is expected to have the 3rd best conference RPI at the end of this season, but nobody talks about them because they are out west and are only 9 schools.

I like that take, I'm just not sure the BE7 have the forward looking thought process to make that happen. The majority of the rumors we've seen have focused on "smaller is better" suggesting they want to be the "Mountain West of the East."

By the way, the MWC is expected to have the 3rd best conference RPI at the end of this season, but nobody talks about them because they are out west and are only 9 schools.

well in all the years watching the rpi, there is no doubt that the mountain west conference benefits greatly from being smaller and not having the tag along fordham like program(s) to bring down the rest of the conference.

that said, the fact that a huge top heavy conference (see the big east the last few years) has benefitted from having a large conference even if it has a few bottom feeders that rarely make any ncaa waves. in fact it could be argued the likes of depaul, seton hall and rutgers for example have maintained higher profiles in spite of their performances overall each year soley because they were in the big east.

Clearly, our best case scenario is B7 + a few stellar midwest teams like X, Butler, Dayton, Creigton.

Now.

So we can get TV money and TV exposure and recruit an excellent coach now and some good players who want to play against GT and Nova and X and Creighton and St. Johns, et al. All solid teams with traditon. No Fordam-RI-LaSalle-Duq-St. Bonnie-Charlotte.

If not, the A-10 plan earlier cited and all of the other "if we do not get in" scenarios would take a long time and would probably be a clusterschtook. Who knows wtf would happen? What coaches would want to come here for 2013-2014?

Hey, just noticed, Duke is # 1.

i hate it when we recruit a kid that sucks and we promise to make them better as a student, person and player when we apparently only care about them as a player.

I hate when we recruit kids who suck academically AND athletically with little potential or motivation for improvement - I'm talking about you Horace and Obi.

I hate when we recruit kids who suck academically AND athletically with little potential or motivation for improvement - I'm talking about you Horace and Obi.

I sure hope Horace and Obi don't log in today...otherwise you are in T-R-O-U-B-L-E

Isn't that why he received a scholarship in the first place? Because of his ability as a player?

Isn't that why he received a scholarship in the first place? Because of his ability as a player?

Nope. Whenever you recruit a player, you're stuck with him as long as he doesn't commit a crime and maintains his grades. He doesn't have to work hard and try to improve, he doesn't have to have any on court success at all ... just don't f..k up and you're good. After all, they are just kids.

Nope. Whenever you recruit a player, you're stuck with him as long as he doesn't commit a crime and maintains his grades. He doesn't have to work hard and try to improve, he doesn't have to have any on court success at all ... just don't f..k up and you're good. After all, they are just kids.

pretty much right. with the exception of the "work hard and improve" stupid comment. the coach makes a committment, and if the student athlete indeed is doing his/her best, being a good student, citizen and good teamate (doing the best he/she can) i believe it is up to the coach who made the decision to bring that student athlete to saint louis university to try to coach that player up. if the coach f'd up and misjudged the talent level, that is on the coach. if the student athlete wants that golden slu academic experience, live up to the promise.

pretty much right. with the exception of the "work hard and improve" stupid comment. the coach makes a committment, and if the student athlete indeed is doing his/her best, being a good student, citizen and good teamate (doing the best he/she can) i believe it is up to the coach who made the decision to bring that student athlete to saint louis university to try to coach that player up. if the coach f'd up and misjudged the talent level, that is on the coach. if the student athlete wants that golden slu academic experience, live up to the promise.

When we send a scholarship player packing, do we physically rip up the scholarship documentation in front of him?

I think you are 100% correct there Roy.

Now what is this world coming to?