Next Coach

GOSLU68

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If a coach can't get the most out of the players we have, then I'd suggest we don't hire him.

Just my opinion but systems are over rated. It wasn't RM's system that helped us win ... it was his demand for proper execution, almost perfection within that system.

you need to learn to read. did i say we should do it? i said that an employer shouldnt hold it against an employee that gets an opportunity like that. in no way do i see that as scummy, but i also realize that it isnt likely to happen. .

as to your statement about no notice, again no one said anything like that either. but i will say if i went to my boss and said, at the end of the fiscal year in april i am leaving to go work at xyz bank for a 250% pay raise. my boss would be happy for me however tell me to leave that day.

as to "stealing clients", the reason a competitor would want me is to bring my customers with me. and a college that loses a coach darn well knows that the recruits that coach was chasing will likely continue to be pursued by that coach.

last you all are naive if you believe that for one second that slu via third parties arent quietly unofficially contacting people to guage possible interest.

Roy, here is how the thread developed:

GOSLU68 said the following: "Start a search now and hire someone before we start the A10 season."

Upperdeck Kid said the following: "Would we really want a coach that would leave his team mid-season?"

You replied to Upperdeck with the following: "if a person gets a 250% pay raise i would never hold that against them."

If I mistook your approval of a coach leaving mid-season and your acknowledged dislike of Crews (you recently said you'd rather have RM as head coach so that says enough about your feelings on Crews) as an interpretation that you would be fine with SLU doing something like this then shame on me for putting 2 and 2 together and getting 4.

Your analogy about giving your boss advance notice because he is leaving in April makes no sense in the context of what was being discussed here: an immediate hiring of another head coach mid-season. There is no advance notice in a situation like that!

I am hardly naive and I'm sure May has plenty of feelers out there right now but all of them are for hiring a new coach in April, when the season is over. Not for hiring one right now and for stealing a coach mid-season. Doing anything along those lines would be incredibly scummy and thankfully the people at SLU have no intention of doing so.

Jeff Capel - he is under 40 and has already been a head coach at two stops, including helping to build up VCU. Also, Jay Wright will likely get fired. He had a good run at 'Nova before it headed south. I think he could do well with a fresh start.

Jeff Capel - he is under 40 and has already been a head coach at two stops, including helping to build up VCU. Also, Jay Wright will likely get fired. He had a good run at 'Nova before it headed south. I think he could do well with a fresh start.

Good call Ace I like both of these options.

Wright, definitely.

Capel, meh.

BRUCE FREAKING PEARL.

someone suggested the other day Hinson from siu. if there is a guy in the mvc i would want it is greg mcdermott, creighton. however, that said, the fact his son is a junior there, probably bad timing.

if we are looking at assistant coaches, give me a michigan state coach. izzo has a great team every year, there never seems to be smoke swirling around the program and a number of his assistants have gone on to success.

someone suggested the other day Hinson from siu. if there is a guy in the mvc i would want it is greg mcdermott, creighton. however, that said, the fact his son is a junior there, probably bad timing.

if we are looking at assistant coaches, give me a michigan state coach. izzo has a great team every year, there never seems to be smoke swirling around the program and a number of his assistants have gone on to success.

As one former poster on this board used to say - Coulda had Gregory instead of Sodie...

Geez Roy you sounding like your old friend Marquette Law that used to frequent this board some years back. :rolleyes:

Remember his favorite quote, 'you could have had Gregory'.

Ace, you beat me to it :D

-i don't care who it is as long as the person becomes a great hire

-i watched Chris May a bit on saturday while we were not subbing and playing a hurt JJ and hoped he had visions of this great hire going through his mind

I think, immediately at the conclusion of the season, Chaifetz, with his check book, and May need to fly out to Moraga, California and convince Randy Bennett to be our next coach,

If he can recruit and successfully win at St Mary's, think what he could do for SLU.

Also, he familiar with SLU as an ex-assistant.

I think, immediately at the conclusion of the season, Chaifetz, with his check book, and May need to fly out to Moraga, California and convince Randy Bennett to be our next coach,

If he can recruit and successfully win at St Mary's, think what he could do for SLU.

+1 if at all possible, this needs to happen

Chaifetz better write a check to cover the recruiting budget that Bennett would need to translate that success here at SLU.

i like randy bennett. that said, i bet randy bennett likes california. it will be expensive to get him back to the midwest. our big boosters need to be all about it.