Next Coach

GOSLU68

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a partial list of guys who have been head coaches, with some success, at the power-conference level. They are either currently out of a job, are an assistant somewhere, or head coach at a lower-level school. Not saying these are all going to be good candidates, but I can see SLU reaching out to at least some of them to gauge interest:

• Mike Davis - Previously head coach at Indiana and UAB. Was fired from UAB after last season. Currently the interim coach at Texas Southern. Did get to the NCAA Championship Game with Indiana in his 2nd season as coach and made 3 additional tourney appearances in his 6 seasons as head coach. Current coaching record is 237-151. Made one tourney appearance and 3 NITs with UAB in 6 seasons. He is 52 years old.

• Jim O'Brien - He is 63 years old. Currently the head coach at Emerson College. Led Ohio St. to the Final Four in 1999 and 4 straight NCAA appearances. Also coached at St. Bonnie, taking them to the NIT and Boston College, where he took them to mutliple NCAA appearances. Tenure at OSU ended in controversy and he ended up having a show-cause order placed on him. All restrictions were lifted after 2008. Overall coaching record, not including forefeits and vacated games, is 368-305, with a record of 133-88 at OSU.

• Al Skinner - Al is 60 years old. Previously was the head coach at Rhode Island and Boston College. Made the NCAA tourney twice with Rhode Island and 7 times with BC, including the Sweet Sixteen once. Overall record in 385-291. including 247-165. Currently not coaching at the college or pro level, as I believe he is working with a Boston-area AAU team. Last coached in the 2009-10 season.

• Randy Ayers - He is 56 years old. Currently he is an assistant coach with the New Orleans Hornets. His one stint as a head coach in college came with Ohio State. He cocahed them for 8 seasons in the '90s, making 3 NCAA tourneys. He has spent his time since as an assitant coach in the NBA, and had a short stint as head coach with the Sixers in 2003. Overall coaching record is 124-108.

• Jeff Capel - Already discussed in this thread. He is 37 years old. Currently an assistant at Duke. Coached at VCU and Oklahoma. Made the NCAA tourney once with VCU and twice with Oklahoma, making the Elite Eight once. Last season as head coach was 2010-11. Overall coaching record is 175-110.

• PJ Carlesimo - He is 63 years old. Currently an assistant coach with the Brooklyn Nets. Last coached in the NCAA with Seton Hall in 1994. Took Seton Hall to 6 NCAA tourneys, including the Championship Game in 1989. Overall college coaching record is 277-259, but some of that is attributable to early years with Wagner, where he went 65-93. Has spent time since 1994 coaching in the NBA. Got choked by Latrell Sprewell. Known as a very strict coach.

• Mike Deane - He is 61 years old. Currenty an assistant at James Madison. Coached for Marquette in the '90s, making the NCAA tourney twice in 5 seasons. Also made tourney trips with Siena and Lamar. Last coached at Wagner in 2009-10. Overall coaching record is 437-332, including 100-55 at Marquette.

• Matt Doherty - He is 50 years old. Currently not doing anything to my knowledge; perhaps some TV work. Has been head coach at Notre Dame, UNC, Florida Atlantic and SMU. Made the NCAA tourney only once, his first year at UNC. Last coached with SMU in 2011-12. Overall coaching record is 170-180, including 53-43 with UNC and 22-15 in one season with Notre Dame, when they went to NIT finals.

• Craig Esherick - He is 56 years old. His only head coaching stint was with Georgetown, where he coached for 6 years, ending in 2004. His overall record was 103-74, and he made one NCAA tourney, going to the Sweet Sixteen. He is doing TV now. Had a reputation as an underachiever with good Georgetown teams.

• Fran Fraschilla - He is 54 years old. Was head coach at Manhattan, St. Johns and New Mexico. Made NCAA tourneys with Manhattan and St. Johns. Overall coaching record is 176-99, including 35-24 with St. Johns. Last coached in 2001-02 with New Mexico. Has a very cushy job with ESPN right now.

• Dino Gaudio - He is 55 years old. He was head coach at Army, Loyola and Wake Forest. He took over for Skip Prosser at Wake Forest after serving as an assistant with him at Xavier and Wake Forest. With Wake Forest, he went 61-31 in 3 seasons with 2 NCAA tourney appearances. He was fired in 2010 and is currently working for ESPN.

• Seth Greenberg - He is 56 years old. He was head coach at Long Beach St., USF and Virginia Tech. His overall record is 378-283, including 167-117 at VA Tech. He went to one NCAA tourney with VA Tech and two with Long Beach St. He was fired by VA Tech after the 2011-12 season.

• Ernie Kent - He is 57 years old. He was head coach at St. Mary's and Oregon. He has been to 6 NCAA tourneys, 5 with Oregon and 2 Elite Eight appearances. His overall coaching record is 325-253, including 235-174 with Oregon. He was fired from Oregon in 2010. Last I heard he was coaching the Saudi Arabia team.

• Steve Lappas - He is 58 years old. He was head coach at Manhattan, Villanova and UMass. He took Villanova to 4 NCAA appearances in 9 seasons, as well as an NIT championship. He last coached with UMass in 2005 and has been working on TV since. His overall coaching record is 280-237, including 174-110 at Villanova.

• Dave Leitao - He is 52 years old. Currently an assistant at Missouri. He was a head coach at Northeastern, DePaul and Virginia. He went to one NCAA and two NITs at Virginia in 4 seasons. He also went to an NCAA with DePaul. His overall coaching record is 143-129, including 63-60 at Virginia. He was last a head coach in 2009.

• Doc Sadler - He is 52 years old. He is currently DBO at Kansas. He was head coach at UTEP and Nebraska. He made the NCAA once with UTEP and the NIT 3 times with Nebraska. His overall coaching record is 149-107, including 101-89 with Nebraska. He was fired after the 2011-12 season with Nebraska.

• Kelvin Sampson - He is 57 years old. The only reason I am listing him here is his show-cause order expires in 2013, so it is possible that another NCAA team might take a chance on him. Doubtful that it will be SLU, but it would be a 'big splash' hire, if the did.

• Quin Snyder - Ha! Just joking. ;)

• Brad Soderberg - Just kidding again!

• Rick Stansbury - He is 52 years old. Even though he announced his retirement from Mississippi St. after the end of last season, it looks like it was more of a mutual step down. Due to his age, you would think he'd be looking for another opportunity after a season off. His record with the Bulldogs in 14 season was 293-165 with 6 NCAA and 5 NIT appearances.

• Tim Welsh - He is 52 years old. He was head coach at Iona and Providence. He was going to be the coach at Hofstra in 2010 but resigned after a DUI arrest. He had made 3 NCAA appearances, one with Iona and 2 with Providence. His overall coaching record is 215-148, including 145-126 with Providence. He last coached in 2008 with Providence.
That is pretty much all I could come up with that seemed like even remote possibilities. I didn't include any coaches where it was pretty obvious they are retired (i.e. Eddie Fogler, Pete Gillen, Bobby Knight). Also, didn't list Bruce Pearl do to the current show-cause order in effect until 2014. Not everyone listed above is a good candidate, just ones that I could find that have some success as a head coach at a power conference and might be looking for another shot as a head coach.

That is a list of "the gals still at the bar alone at 1:00 am on a Friday night".

The only one I'd be interested in is Capel and I'd take him in a heartbeat

Yeah, not much there except Capel. Pretty much how MB described it.

However, Stansbury is a somewhat intriguing name. He was able to consistently win at MSU and it just seems like he mostly wore out his welcome there. He is still relatively young (52) and has a good career record, all in a power conference (SEC). If he is looking, it might be worthwhile to talk to him.

I gotta agree on Stansbury just looking at his bio seems legit.

Plus the wikipedia page read, " Stansbury is well known for his outstanding work with freshmans."

I'm sold.

That list got me to thinking. Sadly, there is only one Rick Majerus. Actually, O'Brien was a pretty good recruiter and coach. Of course, passing out $6,000 loans to Serbian BB players is frowned upon.

if a coach was allowed to pay $6000 sign on bonuses, we could all be as good of a recruiter as o'brien.

SO, not much there. Maybe we will get lucky again, that is possible.

Again, we will probably have to take a chance on an up and coming reputedly talented but unproven golden boy assistant somewhere and hope he can coach.

But, also, will he be able to recruit? Thats a big issue with an asst coach coming to our program, another reason Majerus was such a gift. Conklin comes here all the way from Oregon to play for the legend; etc.

Golden boy asst coaches take awhile to help with recruiting unless they come from high profile programs and have been involved and know about the pipeline and have seen how it works in the big houses.

i think there will be mid major coaches at other lesser preceived conferences that could be lured by the better A-10 and a pay raise. that is what i would chase.

I've not followed this topic, but one thing is for sure, we will really be thin in the front-court next year if we don't decide on a coach. We lose two 6'8" players next year and hopes for recruiting replacement bigs is pretty dim with an uncertain coaching situation. Manning and Glaze better step up because we may not have an alternative if we string this coaching decision out.

I am not saying we should settle on Crews. In fact, I would like to see us make some more waves by getting a name coach. But SLU will have to open their wallets. Make the NCAA's at least every other year and the name coach is paid for and the butts will be in the seats. Perhaps a name coach will have some players to bring with him.

i think there will be mid major coaches at other lesser preceived conferences that could be lured by the better A-10 and a pay raise. that is what i would chase.

Along those lines, how about these current coaches at low-to-mid-major schools, who have recently taken their teams to the post-season and are under the age of 50:

• John Becker (Vermont) - Age 44. In his 2nd full season at Vermont (took over at end of 2010-11). One NCAA appearance. 27-13 career record.
  • Wayne Tinkle (Montana) - Age 46. In his 7th season at Montana. Two NCAA appearances and one CBI. 116-70 career record.
  • Dan Monson (Long Beach St.) - Age 51 (I know, over 50, but just barely). In 5th season at Long Beach St. Previously coached at Gonzaga and Minnesota. One NCAA and one NIT appearance at Long Beach St. Two previous NCAA appearances at Gonzaga and Minnesota, including an Elite Eight. 255-200 career record.
  • Bruiser Flint (Drexel) - Age 47. In his 12th season at Drexel. Previously head coach at UMass. 5 NIT appearances with Drexel. Two NCAA appearances and one NIT with UMass. Career record is 287-217.
  • Paul Hewitt (George Mason) - Age 49. In 2nd season at George Mason. Previously coached at Siena and Georgia Tech. No post-season last year but had a 24-9 record. One NCAA and one NIT appearance with Siena and five NCAA appearances, including Championship Game, and one NIT with Georgia Tech. Career record is 284-200.
  • Tommy Amaker (Harvard) - Age 47. In his 6th season at Harvard. Previously coached at Michigan and Seton Hall. One NCAA, one NIT and one CIT with Harvard. Three NITs at Michigan and three NITs and an NCAA with Seton Hall. Career record is 270-197.
  • Gregg Marshall (Wichita St.) - Age 49. In his 6th season at Wichita St. Previously coached at Winthrop. One NCAA, two NITs and one CBI with Wichita St. Seven NCAAs with Winthrop. Career record of 309-144.
  • Greg McDermott (Creighton) - Age 47. In his 3rd season at Creighton. Previously coached at UNI and Iowa St. One NCAA and one CBI with Creighton. Three NCAAs with UNI and no post season appearances with Iowa St. Career record is 207-153.
  • Ben Jacobson (UNI) - Age 41. In his 7th season at UNI. 2 NCAAs (one Sweet Sixteen), one NIT and one CIT. Career record is 132-74.
  • Steve Prohm (Murray St.) - Age 38. In his 2nd season at Murray St. One NCAA appearance. Career record is 36-3.
  • Brett Reed (Lehigh) - Age 40. In his 6th season at Lehigh. Two NCAA appearances. Career record is 98-65.
  • Dave Paulsen (Bucknell) - Age 48. In his 5th season at Bucknell. One NCAA and one NIT appearance. Career record is 76-60.
  • Mike Young (Wofford) - Age 49. In his 11th season at Wofford. Two NCAAs and one CBI. Career record is 158-158.
  • Pat Knight (Lamar) - Age 42. In his 2nd season at Lamar. Previously coached at Texas Tech. One NCAA with Lamar, one NIT with Texas Tech. Career record is 74-78.
  • Scott Sutton (Oral Roberts) - Age 42. In his 14th season at Oral Roberts. Three NCAAs, two NITs and one CIT. Career record is 253-165.
  • Scott Nagy (South Dakota St.) - Age 46. Been head coach at South Dakota St. since 1995, but they only joined Division I in 2004-05. They were D-II prior. Joined Summit League in 2007-08 and they made NCAA last season. Overall record at South Dakota St. is 320-199.
I didn't count any coaches for teams in the MWC, CUSA or A-10. I also disregarded Mark Few (age 49) at Gonzaga and Randy Bennett (age 50) at St. Mary's just because I can't see either one making the jump from their respective programs to take the SLU job (figure they both would hold out for a bigger job, if jumping.) When looking at the younger, mid-major candidates, there are some names that really do jump out. At the very least, this list looks a lot more compelling and promising than the other list did.

Along those lines, how about these current coaches at low-to-mid-major schools, who have recently taken their teams to the post-season and are under the age of 50:

• John Becker (Vermont) - Age 44. In his 2nd full season at Vermont (took over at end of 2010-11). One NCAA appearance. 27-13 career record.
  • Wayne Tinkle (Montana) - Age 46. In his 7th season at Montana. Two NCAA appearances and one CBI. 116-70 career record.
  • Dan Monson (Long Beach St.) - Age 51 (I know, over 50, but just barely). In 5th season at Long Beach St. Previously coached at Gonzaga and Minnesota. One NCAA and one NIT appearance at Long Beach St. Two previous NCAA appearances at Gonzaga and Minnesota, including an Elite Eight. 255-200 career record.
  • Bruiser Flint (Drexel) - Age 47. In his 12th season at Drexel. Previously head coach at UMass. 5 NIT appearances with Drexel. Two NCAA appearances and one NIT with UMass. Career record is 287-217.
  • Paul Hewitt (George Mason) - Age 49. In 2nd season at George Mason. Previously coached at Siena and Georgia Tech. No post-season last year but had a 24-9 record. One NCAA and one NIT appearance with Siena and five NCAA appearances, including Championship Game, and one NIT with Georgia Tech. Career record is 284-200.
  • Tommy Amaker (Harvard) - Age 47. In his 6th season at Harvard. Previously coached at Michigan and Seton Hall. One NCAA, one NIT and one CIT with Harvard. Three NITs at Michigan and three NITs and an NCAA with Seton Hall. Career record is 270-197.
  • Gregg Marshall (Wichita St.) - Age 49. In his 6th season at Wichita St. Previously coached at Winthrop. One NCAA, two NITs and one CBI with Wichita St. Seven NCAAs with Winthrop. Career record of 309-144.
  • Greg McDermott (Creighton) - Age 47. In his 3rd season at Creighton. Previously coached at UNI and Iowa St. One NCAA and one CBI with Creighton. Three NCAAs with UNI and no post season appearances with Iowa St. Career record is 207-153.
  • Ben Jacobson (UNI) - Age 41. In his 7th season at UNI. 2 NCAAs (one Sweet Sixteen), one NIT and one CIT. Career record is 132-74.
  • Steve Prohm (Murray St.) - Age 38. In his 2nd season at Murray St. One NCAA appearance. Career record is 36-3.
  • Brett Reed (Lehigh) - Age 40. In his 6th season at Lehigh. Two NCAA appearances. Career record is 98-65.
  • Dave Paulsen (Bucknell) - Age 48. In his 5th season at Bucknell. One NCAA and one NIT appearance. Career record is 76-60.
  • Mike Young (Wofford) - Age 49. In his 11th season at Wofford. Two NCAAs and one CBI. Career record is 158-158.
  • Pat Knight (Lamar) - Age 42. In his 2nd season at Lamar. Previously coached at Texas Tech. One NCAA with Lamar, one NIT with Texas Tech. Career record is 74-78.
  • Scott Sutton (Oral Roberts) - Age 42. In his 14th season at Oral Roberts. Three NCAAs, two NITs and one CIT. Career record is 253-165.
  • Scott Nagy (South Dakota St.) - Age 46. Been head coach at South Dakota St. since 1995, but they only joined Division I in 2004-05. They were D-II prior. Joined Summit League in 2007-08 and they made NCAA last season. Overall record at South Dakota St. is 320-199.
I didn't count any coaches for teams in the MWC, CUSA or A-10. I also disregarded Mark Few (age 49) at Gonzaga and Randy Bennett (age 50) at St. Mary's just because I can't see either one making the jump from their respective programs to take the SLU job (figure they both would hold out for a bigger job, if jumping.) When looking at the younger, mid-major candidates, there are some names that really do jump out. At the very least, this list looks a lot more compelling and promising than the other list did.

BINGO

I think this is a good list with several prospective HC who could be a nice fit at SLU.

I'd love to see Greg Marshall on the bench next year. Go for it, Biondi. And out of that list who wouldn't want to upgrade to the A-10 w/ a team returning 3 starters and a decent bench in a brand new state of the art arena located in one of the midwest's biggest markets?

Look, we lucked out in getting RM here. I'm convinced that if The Majii were on the bench this year we'd be 4-0 right now regardless of the injuries. He was just that good. But he was unique and for once all the stars aligned for us getting RM.

SLU deserves the best coach it can get. We have a loyal fan base of around 6-7,000 to fill an arena that holds +10k. Get the right HC and he'll fill it. Also, SLU suddenly travels well as evidenced by last year's appearance in Columbus. St Louis will support a winner, Charlie proved it. And RM was on his way to proving it. I'm somewhat po'd the Admin doesn't seem to get it.