Next Coach

GOSLU68

Don't you mean "scum sutton."

I have loosely followed ORU the past few years and I am under the impression Sutton runs a pretty clean program there. His personality strikes me as much different than his father. He really gets alot of the talent he has, and he seems to recruit some pretty good kids. The campus is hilarious though. Right by the basketball stadium, they have this monstrously large statue of praying hands rising up from the ground, which makes me think it was Oral Roberts' response to Touchdown Jesus.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would definitely take a look at Stansbury. I thought he did pretty well at a place where it is probably not very easy to have success.

That powers that be have to be decisive and have a plan. While most reasonable people were thrilled when we hired Majerus, they really bungled the timing of it. If I recall it dragged into late April or early May... well into the spring recruiting period. If we had everything lined up, Sodie should have been canned immediately following the season in March. Then RM would have had time to land a couple of decent players in the spring recruiting class which in turn would have sped up the building process. All we got was BE who was pretty much lined up before RM was hired. It was a lost opportunity.

I know some people are giving up hope that we will be able to do anything good with our two available scholarships in the spring. If we handle this well, there is still time for a new coach to land a couple of nice recruits. I believe Spoon landed Waldman and Dobbs just a few weeks after being on the job. It can happen with the right coach.

When the new coach comes in, Bronson would seem to be a good one to keep on board for some continuity and to maintain existing recruiting contacts. Then with the other two assistant spots, hopefully we could find coaches who bring with them good new recruiting contacts.

Sutton would be near the top of any wish list of mine.

Why would you guys want Sutton? It seems like we could do better.

He had 7 losses last year, which is good. But the three years prior to that he lost 16, 13, and 15 games. He hasn't made the tournament in 5 years and in the last two years he made the NIT and CIT and didn't get out of the first round.

Just seems like we could do way better.

I just don't want to waste this crop of players by a new coach implementing a new system. When Majerus came in he was quick to point out that Lisch, Liddell, etc weren't his recruits, and it showed on the court. Wasting DE, MM, JJ, and RL (if wasting can be the correct term for Loe) would be terrible...

I just don't want to waste this crop of players by a new coach implementing a new system. When Majerus came in he was quick to point out that Lisch, Liddell, etc weren't his recruits, and it showed on the court. Wasting DE, MM, JJ, and RL (if wasting can be the correct term for Loe) would be terrible...

Are you suggesting to stay the course with Crews? Or are you advocating that they get a Majerus disciple like Harriman and Jensen?

Why would you guys want Sutton? It seems like we could do better.

He had 7 losses last year, which is good. But the three years prior to that he lost 16, 13, and 15 games. He hasn't made the tournament in 5 years and in the last two years he made the NIT and CIT and didn't get out of the first round.

Just seems like we could do way better.

Not sure based on our last three hires which included a 2-star coach who only recruited and missed on 5-star players, a NAIA level coach who found his appropriate station in life after we fired him, or a BCS caliber coach with severe weight/heart problems, that we can do way better than Scott Sutton.

He will be coaching a high level team next year. I wouldnt mind if it were us.

I'd have no problem with Stansbury. He's had success at the BCS level that we'd love to have at SLU, and he's still relatively young. Given my relative lack of excitement with most of the mid-major coaches thus far, SLU's best chance might be to find a guy like Stansbury. Who knows who might be available in March?

I should add that a bunch of this depends on Chaifetz and other big money boosters. If they will continue to kick in the extra money for a coach, like they did with Majerus, we can make a run at someone with a history of success. If not, we're looking at assistants who aren't top of the line, or low-level head coaches who have low salaries.

Are you suggesting to stay the course with Crews? Or are you advocating that they get a Majerus disciple like Harriman and Jensen?

I'm certainly not a Crews fan...Frankly, I don't really care who we get. I just want someone who will best utilize the players we currently have (next season), regardless of 'system'...I don't want to go 15-13 next year because we're transitioning to a 'run and gun' style. Hyperbolic, but it illustrates my point

Isn't it fair to say, however, that the learning curve with Majerus' system is much steeper than that of most coaches? The current talent may not necessarily be wasted under a new coach.

I don't think I would call Harriman a Majerus disciple.

I think it is a fair description. His only D-1 coaching experience, prior to Nebraska, came under Majerus, and he was an assistant under him for 3 years. He always spoke highly of Majerus and stated numerous times that he has learned more from him than anyone else. Also, in his one game as acting head coach filling in for Majerus, he definitely kept the game plan and system in place (unlike Porter in the past.) I think it is apt to call him a Majerus disciple.

Jensen definitely seems like the closest to a Majerus disciple having both played and coached for him. If Jensen had stuck it out, he would be our interim coach right now and I would have been fine with that to keep the continuity. But, once he left I'm not that interested in bringing him back. Besides, at the time it seemed like his goal was to get into coaching at the pro level, so I'm not sure he wants to return to college.

Jensen definitely seems like the closest to a Majerus disciple having both played and coached for him. If Jensen had stuck it out, he would be our interim coach right now and I would have been fine with that to keep the continuity. But, once he left I'm not that interested in bringing him back. Besides, at the time it seemed like his goal was to get into coaching at the pro level, so I'm not sure he wants to return to college.

NOBODY WANTS TO COACH AT THE 'FETZ

Not sure based on our last three hires which included a 2-star coach who only recruited and missed on 5-star players, a NAIA level coach who found his appropriate station in life after we fired him, or a BCS caliber coach with severe weight/heart problems, that we can do way better than Scott Sutton.

He will be coaching a high level team next year. I wouldnt mind if it were us.

Again, I just think we can do better. You can look at the pre Majerus days all you want, but this program is moving in a new direction. Prior to Majerus we didn't have the arena we do and we didn't have high level booster support. We have better players now as well. I have nothing against Sutton and know little about him. All I can look at is performance. His performance as of recent is mediocre. If we want to continually be a good program we have to look better than Scott Sutton.

Will it be easier to recruit to SLU than OR? Probably. So, that might help him with better results.

Look at the fan base today - we may lose 9 - 10 games this year and people are melting down. Should we be happy with a Coach that has lost an average of 13 games a season in the past 4 years? And, that was in a worse conference.

You obviously know more about him that I do, so what am I missing? I honestly want to know.

Isn't it fair to say, however, that the learning curve with Majerus' system is much steeper than that of most coaches? The current talent may not necessarily be wasted under a new coach.

The talent we have right now was great under a Majerus sysytem, would be mediocre at best if we are talking about athletisism

call me a nitpicker, but a "majerus system" is nothing unusual. typical plays man to man denial defense, runs a motion offense and stresses patience. nothing new or different like for example calipari playing 5 out. what majerus does is the same as the majority of coaches at the college and high school level.

i guess what people really mean by "system" is majerus expectations. he demands precission he demands effort he demands attention to details.

that all said, i guess i agree with eastside joe, what we have at slu is not anything exceptional in the way of athletes. my guess is most of the teams we have faced thus far would beat us in some sort of overall decathlon like event. however majerus was able to mesh a machine that had precission, effort and attention to details which could overcome teams with much more sheer talent/athleticism.

call me a nitpicker, but a "majerus system" is nothing unusual. typical plays man to man denial defense, runs a motion offense and stresses patience. nothing new or different like for example calipari playing 5 out. what majerus does is the same as the majority of coaches at the college and high school level.

i guess what people really mean by "system" is majerus expectations. he demands precission he demands effort he demands attention to details.

that all said, i guess i agree with eastside joe, what we have at slu is not anything exceptional in the way of athletes. my guess is most of the teams we have faced thus far would beat us in some sort of overall decathlon like event. however majerus was able to mesh a machine that had precission, effort and attention to details which could overcome teams with much more sheer talent/athleticism.

exactly. There are many offenses and many defenses and coaches that have been successful with all of them. In whatever offense or defense you run, the secret lies in the execution unless you have just far superior athleticism and even then you can be beat.

What made Majerus great wasn't some different offense or defense that no one else understands. It was his ability to take average players and teach them to execute perfectly and therefor become a better player and team than those that don't.

+100

Again, I just think we can do better. You can look at the pre Majerus days all you want, but this program is moving in a new direction. Prior to Majerus we didn't have the arena we do and we didn't have high level booster support. We have better players now as well. I have nothing against Sutton and know little about him. All I can look at is performance. His performance as of recent is mediocre. If we want to continually be a good program we have to look better than Scott Sutton.

Will it be easier to recruit to SLU than OR? Probably. So, that might help him with better results.

Look at the fan base today - we may lose 9 - 10 games this year and people are melting down. Should we be happy with a Coach that has lost an average of 13 games a season in the past 4 years? And, that was in a worse conference.

You obviously know more about him that I do, so what am I missing? I honestly want to know.

He had six twenty win seasons and five conference championships in the past eight or nine years, at not exactly a basketball hotbed. He was competing locally with a school, UT, that has much more tradition and fanbase. If we can do better, fantastic. But we could do a lot worse!!!

He had six twenty win seasons and five conference championships in the past eight or nine years, at not exactly a basketball hotbed. He was competing locally with a school, UT, that has much more tradition and fanbase. If we can do better, fantastic. But we could do a lot worse!!!

Agreed and we have done worse as you have pointed out.