Next Coach

GOSLU68

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn, jbizzle does 7day / 8 hour shifts for Billikens.com. How tall are all of the potential coaches?

New coach? It will be timing & luck & happenstance. We might get someone good; odds are against it, though. We shall see. Maybe Chaifetz and the boys will lure someone talented into our program. We need to keep our kids and recruit a few bigs for next year. ASAP.

(Hey, how about Dixon getting back on the MU team? At SLU he would be on Channel 5 and go to the student board and the loons would kick him out and ban him. And also, Pinkel? 60 yrs old, just got divorced, rumor is he got his 29 yo girlfriend PG; TV weather girl in KC... just a rumor but I think it is credible)

This hire will be important for a number of reasons. My fear is that if we don't hire a named Coach or an upcoming young Coach who could be sold easily to the fan base, it could be ugly until that Coach proves himself. The new Coach will have huge shoes to fill. It's not every day that you hire Rick Majerus. And while there may have been concerns with RM (health) he was a name and even the casual fan knew about him. If SLU settles and doesn't aim high, things could get shaky until the new Coach proves himself.

The good news is look at the situation now compared to when RM took it over. This job should be an easier sell, so as long as we are willing to buck up I think good things will happen.

This is make-or-break time once again. As pointed out by many, Majerus was a luck hire. It was so drastic, so out-of-leftfield that no one saw it coming nor envisioned it. I always saw Majerus saving the program and riding off into the sunset, to either another gig or retirment, smugly content that his legend as a HOF coach and program saver was as intact as ever. I hoped in doing that he would leave a sustainable program in the capable hands of a disciple/protoege. All we got so far was enough to make us want more. Rick's in bad shape and I don't blame him for doing what he is doing. I appreciate his time with us and his time shows that what we all believe to be true, that SLU can be a decent, highly competitive, great job with a city all to itself, is not far-fetched. But it will take specila people dedicated to makin git happen to make it happen. The next hired gun has to be aligned directly with the school's plan or he is juist treading water until his light runs out or he move son to higher, greener pastures. I don't have a problem wiht th ehigher, greener pastures provided it leads to a legacy that is Xavier-esque or Butler-esque --- where the lifeline is carried on by thos eleft behind. We don't have that.

In previous threads, I have often referred to SLU as a graveyard for coaches. That still remains true. In my time, Albrecht, Coleman, Ekker, Grawer, Spoonhauer, Sodeberg and now Majerus have figuratively and career-wise died in the job. Romar went home vto Alma Mater U after mediocre success here and would likely had not been offered that job a few years down the road given what he was doing here. He struck while his iron was still hot .... well, at least warm.

Assistants? Bennett has been discussed. An two-year interloper who returned to his west coast roots. Cameron Dollar? Jay Spoonhauer? Derrick Thomas? Jackson Wheeler? Porter Moser? Chris Harriman? Lee Winfield? Not exactly a Hank Iba/Adolph Rupp kind of tree. Not only do coaches die here, so do assistants.

Then let's throw in a screwy administration with half-hearted support.

If you believe the premise that kids sign with coaches, damn straight this is a key hire.

Cursed? Not at all.

What about Scott Davenport at Bellarmine U. in Louisville? My dad loves him (my parents are in Louisville), he's a former U of L assistant under both Denny Crum and Rick Pitino, and he won the DII National Championship with BU in 2011. He's not the youngest coach for sure (I think mid-50s?), but seems to be a solid coach who would be hungry for a DI job.

http://athletics.bellarmine.edu/coaches.aspx?rc=281&path=mbball

Granted, I don't really know sh!t about basketball, I just like to watch, so feel free to tear me down. But any time my dad mentions Scotty Davenport to SLU around town, people always say that would make perfect sense.

What about Scott Davenport at Bellarmine U. in Louisville? My dad loves him (my parents are in Louisville), he's a former U of L assistant under both Denny Crum and Rick Pitino, and he won the DII National Championship with BU in 2011. He's not the youngest coach for sure (I think mid-50s?), but seems to be a solid coach who would be hungry for a DI job.

http://athletics.bel...281&path=mbball

Granted, I don't really know sh!t about basketball, I just like to watch, so feel free to tear me down. But any time my dad mentions Scotty Davenport to SLU around town, people always say that would make perfect sense.

Nothing against the guy, but...

Dr. Chaifetz and Father Biondi won't be hiring a coach from the D2 ranks.

Count me out. He wins at Harvard because he has far superior talent compared to the rest of the Ivy. At mich when faced with programs with similar talent he was a mess.

He is a heck of a recruiter as he proved at Seton Hall and Michigan but, his coaching leaves a lot to be desired.

Scott Sutton at ORU is a damn good coach. As long as he doesnt bring his pill-popping brother as an assistant, i'm all in.

Drew Diener in any capacity would be a huge mistake. There were 18 f***ing Dieners playing in Conference USA and we got the only one who was out of shape, couldn't guard a recliner, and seemed to turn the ball over every time he tried to dribble or pass.

Scott Sutton at ORU is a damn good coach. As long as he doesnt bring his pill-popping brother as an assistant, i'm all in.

Drew Diener in any capacity would be a huge mistake. There were 18 f***ing Dieners playing in Conference USA and we got the only one who was out of shape, couldn't guard a recliner, and seemed to turn the ball over every time he tried to dribble or pass.

Sutton would be near the top of any wish list of mine.

As far as current mid-major coaches go, there aren't a ton that are really exciting to me right now. From Bizzle's list, Sutton, Ben Jacobsen, and Marshall are the ones that I would prefer. The thing with mid-major coaches is that every year, several of the ones that do well get hired away. Right now, we don't know who is going to look good after the season. There are some young promising coaches, buy several of them are only 1-2 seasons into their current jobs. If they put something together in March, they could be options.

I know that Majerus and a lot of the other assistants were very high on Tanner Bronson. I'm not saying he should be a choice, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him get an interview at least. He's already on the staff. He played under Bo Ryan. Coached under Majerus. He was also an assistant in he D-League for a year.

What about Rick Stansbury, former Mississippi State coach. I know he technically retired at the end of last year, but he's only 52 years old. I think he got burned out there. Maybe he is starting to get the itch again and would prefer the atmosphere at SLU to what he dealt with at Mississippi State.

Stansbury had nine 20 win seasons out of 14 at Mississippi State!!! (27 wins in 01-02 and 26 wins in 02-03). Five of his last six seasons there were 20 win seasons.

He would be available to take over at the start of the conference season, if we coaxed him out of "retirement," and, if that happened, could start working to salvage a recruiting class. Given Miss. St.'s proximity, he probably has some good regional connections.

Here are his records at Mississippi State. I know he never made it out of the second round of the tournament, but a change of scenery might cause him to get better results.

Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason Mississippi State Bulldogs (Southeastern Conference) (1998–2012) 1998–99 Mississippi State 20–13 8–8 T–3rd (West) NIT 1st Round 1999–2000 Mississippi State 14–16 5–11 T–5th (West) 2000–01 Mississippi State 18–13 7–9 T–4th (West) NIT Quarterfinals 2001–02 Mississippi State 27–8 10–6 2nd (West) NCAA 2nd Round 2002–03 Mississippi State 21–10 9–7 1st (West) NCAA 1st Round 2003–04 Mississippi State 26–4 14–2 1st (West) NCAA 2nd Round 2004–05 Mississippi State 23–11 9–7 3rd (West) NCAA 2nd Round 2005–06 Mississippi State 15–15 5–11 5th (West) 2006–07 Mississippi State 21–14 8–8 T–1st (West) NIT Final Four 2007–08 Mississippi State 23–11 12–4 1st (West) NCAA 2nd Round 2008–09 Mississippi State 23–13 9–7 3rd (West) NCAA 1st Round 2009–10 Mississippi State 24–12 9–7 T–1st (West) NIT 2nd Round 2010–11 Mississippi State 17–13 9–7 2nd (West) 2011–12 Mississippi State 21–12 8–8 T–6th NIT 1st Round Mississippi State: 293–165 (.641) 122–102 (.545) Total: 293–165 (.641)

Sutton would be near the top of any wish list of mine.

i worry about the offspring of any cheater. no thanks is my vote on sutton.

What about Rick Stansbury, former Mississippi State coach. I know he technically retired at the end of last year, but he's only 52 years old. I think he got burned out there. Maybe he is starting to get the itch again and would prefer the atmosphere at SLU to what he dealt with at Mississippi State.

Stansbury had nine 20 win seasons out of 14 at Mississippi State!!! (27 wins in 01-02 and 26 wins in 02-03). Five of his last six seasons there were 20 win seasons.

He would be available to take over at the start of the conference season, if we coaxed him out of "retirement," and, if that happened, could start working to salvage a recruiting class. Given Miss. St.'s proximity, he probably has some good regional connections.

Intriguing...

Here are his records at Mississippi State. I know he never made it out of the second round of the tournament, but a change of scenery might cause him to get better results.

Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason Mississippi State Bulldogs (Southeastern Conference) (1998–2012) 1998–99 Mississippi State 20–13 8–8 T–3rd (West) NIT 1st Round 1999–2000 Mississippi State 14–16 5–11 T–5th (West) 2000–01 Mississippi State 18–13 7–9 T–4th (West) NIT Quarterfinals 2001–02 Mississippi State 27–8 10–6 2nd (West) NCAA 2nd Round 2002–03 Mississippi State 21–10 9–7 1st (West) NCAA 1st Round 2003–04 Mississippi State 26–4 14–2 1st (West) NCAA 2nd Round 2004–05 Mississippi State 23–11 9–7 3rd (West) NCAA 2nd Round 2005–06 Mississippi State 15–15 5–11 5th (West) 2006–07 Mississippi State 21–14 8–8 T–1st (West) NIT Final Four 2007–08 Mississippi State 23–11 12–4 1st (West) NCAA 2nd Round 2008–09 Mississippi State 23–13 9–7 3rd (West) NCAA 1st Round 2009–10 Mississippi State 24–12 9–7 T–1st (West) NIT 2nd Round 2010–11 Mississippi State 17–13 9–7 2nd (West) 2011–12 Mississippi State 21–12 8–8 T–6th NIT 1st Round Mississippi State: 293–165 (.641) 122–102 (.545) Total: 293–165 (.641)

A couple of us brought him up earlier in this thread. I agree that he is a very intriguing candidate, and if he is interested in coming back, SLU definitely needs to reach out to him. He has had sustained success as a head coach at a power-conference school and is only 52. Also, I don't think he comes with any real baggage, other than potential burnout from being at MSU for as long as he was. I would definitely not be upset if he was brought in as head coach. It would show me that SLU was still serious about the basketball program.