Billiken Club Lunch report

I just got back from the lunch with Chris May (SLUisville was in attendance also). A few good topics came up:

1) A new TV deal is in the works for '13-'14. Chris talked about the aim of the deal to be "multi-platform," allowing for streaming of game video on phones, iPads, computers, etc. The deal should be finalized this fall. Kept emphasizing how much greater exposure we would have as a result.

2) No new Billiken logo in the short term. No talk of a new basketball logo, either. There have been discussions about freshening up the logo, but again, nothing in the immediate future.

3) We discussed men's soccer a bit, also. We are getting 2 recruits from Germany (due to Mike's playing history there), 1 from Ireland (who Chris described as "special") and 2 from Barbados(?). The first game is at home against Indiana.

4) Regarding scheduling for men's basketball, they are still working on a game with Stanford. Chris could neither confirm nor deny a game with the cardinal, but obviously hopes to squeeze it in after we play at Washington.

5) There is a lot of excitement and anticipation for this year's team. Dwayne has packed on 20 lbs of muscle, and Remekun has bulked up as well. Cody and Rob both had great experiences with their national teams. A lot of the guys have gotten bigger.

6) During exit interviews, Kyle and Conk both harped on the point that they were always extremely well prepared for every game and felt like they knew the other team.

7) The women's basketball coaching staff has been recruiting its tail off... Lisa is "in" on quite a few recruits that we never would have been in on before.

8) Chris brought up the possibility of Club seat holders to buy additional tickets for games at reduced costs.

9) Will have open practices for men's basketball again this year.

These are the big points that come to mind. If I think of anything else, I will add. Go Billikens!

Only 10 were invited. Valpo is not confirmed. Also, RM's contract issue is not an issue - so no body should fret over whether he is under a long term contract or not - Chris would not comment specifically due to SLU's policy of not commenting on employees. There may be a chance that we will re-seat after next year - not sure yet. Purpose of re-seating is to increase revenue - all avenues are being looked at - tix price increase as well as donations - nothing firm and nothing may happen at all.

Dwayne has packed on 20 lbs of muscle...

Evans is going to be a monster. Pure terror. I am so excited to see him this season.

Thanks for the recap. Good to hear that soccer may have some life left in it.

this fan is NOT HAPPY about Stanford. I have it penciled in my calendar for Sunday 12/2. Please make it happen coach. Everything else sounds hunky dory as one would expect. Thanks for the report 09.

Only 10 were invited. Valpo is not confirmed. Also, RM's contract issue is not an issue - so no body should fret over whether he is under a long term contract or not - Chris would not comment specifically due to SLU's policy of not commenting on employees. There may be a chance that we will re-seat after next year - not sure yet. Purpose of re-seating is to increase revenue - all avenues are being looked at - tix price increase as well as donations - nothing firm and nothing may happen at all.

-thanks cheese

-we've gone through all of this valpo/indiana/hoosiers crap potentially for nothing???? also seems to mean valpo not part of cbe

-i am intrigued by the contract situation, if they have signed an extension i can think of no reason to not release that, so makes me think reason to fret

messing with the billiken would p!ss me off.

messing with our seats would p!ss me off.

other than that, nice recap.

Evans is going to be a monster. Pure terror. I am so excited to see him this season.

Thanks for the recap. Good to hear that soccer may have some life left in it.

With 20 pounds of muscle, I'd like to see him play inside a lot more instead of putting up jump shots when we have so many other guards and 3 point shooters.

-thanks cheese

-we've gone through all of this valpo/indiana/hoosiers crap potentially for nothing???? also seems to mean valpo not part of cbe

-i am intrigued by the contract situation, if they have signed an extension i can think of no reason to not release that, so makes me think reason to fret

Chris seemed pretty unfazed by it all so I will take my lead from him but I do agree it seemed an odd reason.

-thanks cheese

Yep, Valpo is not part of the CBE, but still could be part of the schedule.

I believe May said that we'll play SC Upstate and Santa Clara as our first two CBE games, which will be at home. He then said we'll play Texas A&M in the first Kansas City game, with hopefully KU the next day (assuming we both win).

messing with the billiken would p!ss me off.

messing with our seats would p!ss me off.

other than that, nice recap.

That's because you're losing ground on your point total :)

Actually, I think it would be a disaster if they messed with the seats, especially if attendance keeps picking up. They probably need to keep believing they might in order to keep the donations up.

The only reason I could ever see them doing this is that if a huge number of big donors came in and they needed to free up space in order to make good seats available for these people. I don't see it happening.

i just dont like appeasing johnny come lately bandwagon jumpers just because of their big bucks. there is not enough credit given for those of us that have played by the rules and stuck with the program through thick and thin.

as to the billiken change, i do agree if the change was to reinstate the billiken from the statue out front of the arena i would have no problem with that. that said, i dont have the aversion to our current billiken that some do. i think the billiken is the best mascot in the world.

A few more items from the luncheon......

Recruiting....We are looking at 2 prospects from Vegas and one from Orlando in addition to a couple of kids from St. Louis. Justin Tatum's son is also on the radar but not being recruited as he is only a 9th grader. May said that the prospects available in the class of 14 are even better than the ones for next year.

Scheduling....18 games are what season tickets are based on....we are trying to schedule 19-21.games. Also A-10 scheduling is difficult because of the increase to 16 teams. We are trying to bunch road games geographically to ease travel. We will get some of what we want but not all.

Injury.....KM suffered a broken bone in his foot during the Bonner league. The good news is the boot comes off today and he will start running shortly.

TV....The goal is to get every TV game televised which could happen as early as next year.. The importance of TV is exposure....selling tickets, recruiting besides the extra revenue.

Post season....16 teams--only 12 will make it to the A-10 tourney. New venue in Brooklyn is a significant upgrade from AC. ....Expect to make Big Dance this year and next. Thinks our team this year is better than last years and that we will go farther in the tourney. The importance of making the tourney in successive years is cumulative. The money and exposure compounds....1+1=3.

And finally practice starts mid Oct....they again will be open to fans.

as to the billiken change, i do agree if the change was to reinstate the billiken from the statue out front of the arena i would have no problem with that. that said, i dont have the aversion to our current billiken that some do. i think the billiken is the best mascot in the world.

Yeah, Roy, he's talking about minor design tweaks, not changing us into the Wildcats or something stupid. We've had better Billiken logos in the past and there's no reason we can't have a better one moving forward. See my avatar for an example.

A return to the Billiken of the Grawer years would be welcome in my book...beer belly spinning a basketball on his finger. It was classic and has a personality...before Debbie Yow f'd it all up by putting it on the Atkins diet and creating a mating parter and offspring.

A few more items from the luncheon......

Injury.....KM suffered a broken bone in his foot during the Bonner league. The good news is the boot comes off today and he will start running shortly.

TV....The goal is to get every TV game televised which could happen as early as next year.. The importance of TV is exposure....selling tickets, recruiting besides the extra revenue.

And finally practice starts mid Oct....they again will be open to fans.

News about an injury to Kwamain is significant. I hope it doesn't hamper him going forward.

Did you mean to say, "The goal is to get every game televised"? Because every TV game is already televised.

I'm sure only certain practices will be open to fans — and probably only certain ones at certain times.