RickMa and SMU

Bishop

It's not the fact that Majerus only made $750,000 it's that he had to kick in his own money to pay Jim Crews and foot the bill for the Canada trip. Slu needs to pony up not just ricks salary and fully commit to the basketball program

If all the above is true, and I have no reason to doubt your veracity, then he's likely gone. No man, who's been successful in his job, wants to fund his success w/ his own money unless he owns the company. Is this all boiling down to another Spoon type case, where FR. B can't see the forest for the trees? If it is, then as long as Fr. B's here we're likely going to be stuck in mediocrity hell until he decides to step down. Note to Fr. B, these HC's tend to be the faces of their universities. Ask the man on the street to name the President of UK. Ok, now ask the man on the street to name the HC of UK.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another random thought, do you think SLU's APR has anything to do with him being interested in SMU. Maybe he knows there is a chance we won't be eligible for the tournament

That crossed my mind as well. But wouldn't we have been informed by now? UConn was and told an appeal would be useless.

It's not the fact that Majerus only made $750,000 it's that he had to kick in his own money to pay Jim Crews and foot the bill for the Canada trip. Slu needs to pony up not just ricks salary and fully commit to the basketball program

I remember when big Rick was hired the number being thrown around was $1.2. Maybe that's $750,000 plus a suite at the Chase.

I remember when big Rick was hired the number being thrown around was $1.2. Maybe that's $750,000 plus a suite at the Chase.

This had been said before - the base salaries that coaches make are far from what they actually get paid. The total salary is 1 million - how that is reached I do not know the specifics but that is what has always been reported even when he signed the contract 5 years ago. Now, as far as paying Crews - that was RM's idea only because he said he did not want to steal a guy from another program like the Cavs did to him. To get Crews to come for one year he had pay him a bit more than what was budgeted so to be a nice guy for others decision simply cost him some money. As far as Canada goes - that money should have been covered by the school - my concern is why did we not hear that they were short money before they went - it is possible donors could have made it up - my guess is that Biondi does not want people fund raising on their own but still some of us would have ponied up some money to get to the total needed - it was reported being short only about 20K.

Even though I don't think the big man will leave I'm just going to be Devil's Advocate and put myself in Rick's shoes just to figure out what could be going through his head.

Pros of leaving for SMU

-There are plenty of extremely wealthy donors, that are willing to Pony up (pun intended)

-$2m sounds a lot better than $1.25 and having to pay asst coaches and foreign road trips out of my own pocket.

-My room at the Chase is starting to smell with all of the dirty towels that I have been using.

-Minus Pappy's the BBQ in Dallas is a lot better than the Lou.

Cons of leaving for SMU

-Chipotle is just now coming to Midtown, wouldn't want to miss that!

-Dallas is hot.

-Do they have SLUettes in Dallas?

-SMU is a Methodist school, Catholics know how to party

So in conclusion really other than the money there is no reason to move to Dallas, "Pony Up" Father B!

Another random thought, do you think SLU's APR has anything to do with him being interested in SMU. Maybe he knows there is a chance we won't be eligible for the tournament

No. We are fine for the APR as long as we don't have a bunch of flunkouts/transfers in the next year or two. The rule for next year is 900 over 4 years and we are well beyond that. The following year we lose one of the really bad years from the 4 year average and add in this year which should be close to 1000 (based on whether ET costs a point or not) and we'll be well above 930.

For me to, at this point, say there is no chance he goes is ridculous but I think any 50/50 predictions are a bit off based. The $2mm number is being floated out there and RM is certainly going to SLU right now and asking for his raise and extension. He doesn't need $2mm but something like $1.4 should get it done (his real number is $1mm as Cheese points out). There is a human side to this in that RM doesn't want to leave these kids and just as importantly there is no way a 64 year old with helath problems wants to start over when he's already got a team tailor made for at least 2 more NCAA runs.

SMU's a team that finished near the bottom of CUSA at 13-19. MD gets fired, so am assuming there's not a lot of talent in the incoming pipeline. I mean they wouldn't fire a guy if he had a decent incoming class unless he dumped the his secretary on her head in a motorcycle crash, and then lied about it. It's pretty late in the recruiting season to be finding even gems in the rough. Furthermore, depending upon what's returning to SMU, we all know how harsh RM treats leftovers. Granted, a big raise in pay is hard to turn down for a guy nearing retirement, but this job is going to take a serious toll on his health. Yeah, SMU may have big dollar donors, but you have to think those boosters are being held in check because of SMU's tarnished history w/ high rolling boosters. And if they do Pony up the funds, how much of RM's private time are they gonna want. Sorry, this just doesn't seem a good fit no matter how you look at it, other than money and FR. B's miserly attitude when it comes to hoops.

95% of me says there's no chance he leaves, but there's a little bit in me that has to worry because it only seems right that as soon as SLU has success, something awful happens to the program.

The only thing SMU has to offer is money. RM doesn't need the money and he's said that before. We all know he says a lot of things though.

RM brought SLU to the top of the A10 in 5 years. I don't care who is left in the Big East, he would not bring SMU to the top of the Big East in 5 years and I really don't see him having more than 5 years left.

I don't need this crap right now. If he is looking at SMU for any other reason than trying to get more money at SLU, then he's a d#ck. I don't see him leaving and I don't blame him for trying to get more money from SLU one bit. However, if this becomes a Pujols situation and we make a decent offer but can't match or come real close to the $2M number, then he's a piece of crap. I say this based upon all the stuff he has said about why he likes SLU.

Id rather see Majerus leave on our terms and not his but its not the end of the world for Billiken basketball if he does. He's 64 and not in the best of health. The program is in very good shape in terms of the facilities and returning players, and having reached some level of national prominence. Frankly, a good administrator, Biondi, should already have a Plan B in his back pocket. Honestly, if he leaves, I expect the program to continue to improve.

Having said this, I dont know why he would leave to another program thats in dire straights. Does he really expect to rejuvenate another program as he reaches 70 years of age? I dont think so.

Id rather see Majerus leave on our terms and not his but its not the end of the world for Billiken basketball if he does. He's 64 and not in the best of health. The program is in very good shape in terms of the facilities and returning players, and having reached some level of national prominence. Frankly, a good administrator, Biondi, should already have a Plan B in his back pocket. Honestly, if he leaves, I expect the program to continue to improve.

Having said this, I dont know why he would leave to another program thats in dire straights. Does he really expect to rejuvenate another program as he reaches 70 years of age? I dont think so.

Count me in the glass-half-empty bunch. We've seen a light drizzle turn into a shitstorm way too many times with our dearly beloved Saint Louie U. This would be catastrophic.

HA

Count me in the glass-half-empty bunch. We've seen a light drizzle turn into a shitstorm way too many times with our dearly beloved Saint Louie U. This would be catastrophic.

I agree that this would be really bad. At another school, the program may continue to be in good shape but I don't see that happening at SLU. I don't see us going back to 9-10 wins, but I also don't see us making a couple back to back NCAA dances. The ONLY way this situation would be okay is if SLU stepped up and made a big splash with another big time Coach. And, that will not happen for many reasons.

I don't need this crap right now. If he is looking at SMU for any other reason than trying to get more money at SLU, then he's a d#ck. I don't see him leaving and I don't blame him for trying to get more money from SLU one bit. However, if this becomes a Pujols situation and we make a decent offer but can't match or come real close to the $2M number, then he's a piece of crap. I say this based upon all the stuff he has said about why he likes SLU.

No doubt, Tonka, he'd leave with a huge credibility gap. On the other hand, the man deserves an extension and a raise. It was posted around 2 weeks ago in one of his interviews he said something like," I'll stay as long as they want me, and, no, I haven't heard anything about an extension."

Still waters run deep. I think there's a lot more of the iceberg we can't see, and I'm implying he and Fr. B have some major differences.

A man in Fr. B's position thinks, "no one employee is indespensible." The employee thinks, "True enough, but I can always take my skills and talent elsewhere and be more appreciated." Rumors of a rift between these two have been talked about on this board since the great charter plane issue debacle and RM going public so many times with, "we belong in the MVC."

I've always been a believer in "where there's smoke there's fire." How big this fire is will determine whether RM stays or goes. If he and Fr. B can't find some common ground then they can't co-exist. And RM probably feels he's too old and too good at what he does to stick around and continually have to fight turf battles with the head honcho.

The ONLY way this situation would be okay is if SLU stepped up and made a big splash with another big time Coach. And, that will not happen for many reasons.

Agreed. If they can't keep RM, then I'm not sure why we would expect them to hire a big time coach.

Agreed. If they can't keep RM, then I'm not sure why we would expect them to hire a big time coach.

I don't know of any coaches out there as big time as RM that would even consider taking the SLU job. And if there were, they'd have to come up with something in the 7 figure range to get him. I still think the question is how far would he have to go to keep him, and I don't think it's match $2mm, and how wide is the rift between him and Fr. B.