Let's See if MU gets the Headline

Billboy1

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw the funniest bill board driving through Atlanta yesterday on Interstate 75/85 just across from Turner Stadium.

Printed over the Missouri Tiger,

MIZZOU

HAPPY AND PROUD TO BE A NEW MEMBER OF THE SEC

Who would pay to put that up in Atlanta?

They're all over the south. I thought they were pretty cool

roy, don't you mean mi$$ouri? ;)

no. mi$$ouri is the sports program at the state university. missouri is the state.

missouri tax dollars hard at work

Where this billboard was located in Atlanta was probably by the busiest stretch of interstate in the Southeast. This has to be mucho cost. With all these billboards plus the fee to get out of the Big 12, they must have a bottomless pit of money.

I have to travel to Birmingham next week, be interested to see how many they have in the city that has the SEC headquarters.

Where this billboard was located in Atlanta was probably by the busiest stretch of interstate in the Southeast. This has to be mucho cost. With all these billboards plus the fee to get out of the Big 12, they must have a bottomless pit of money.

I have to travel to Birmingham next week, be interested to see how many they have in the city that has the SEC headquarters.

There's at least 1 on the highway by there

They're all over the south. I thought they were pretty cool

Haven't seen one in SC yet, but then again it's been about 2 months since I've been in Columbia. They wouldn't dare put one up in Charleston. I will be travelling to Atlanta in 3 weeks so I'll keep an eye out for them.

I don't know squat about Mizzery's FB team, but am pretty sure they're going to get an awakening in the SEC. As for hoops, getting the kid from CT was big for 'em. But the only team from Missouri that has a shot at being in Atlanta next April for the final 4 will be wearing billiken blue. And that billboard's got no blue in it as far as I can see.

72. I am anything but a Mizzou apologist but I just don't understand the comments about how Mizzou will have trouble competing in the SEC. Last I checked, Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska (along with OSU and A&M) have been just as good if not better than most of the SEC.

72. I am anything but a Mizzou apologist but I just don't understand the comments about how Mizzou will have trouble competing in the SEC. Last I checked, Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska (along with OSU and A&M) have been just as good if not better than most of the SEC.

Clock, no offense, but I guess I need to remind you that the last 5 BCS champs in FB have been as follows:

FL, AL, Auburn, LSU, AL not necessarily in that order. Last time I checked they're all from the SEC. It's a different breed of cat in Dixie when it comes to FB.

TX, OK, Neb (now big 10), OK st, TX AM(now SEC)? Sorry, other than TX beating USC six years ago, the SEC pretty much dominates college FB. Mizzery's in for some tough sledding on the gridiron.

As for hoops, well, we all know how that's gonna go for 'em since the master of the one and done is at KY. Although, I do think they'll do quite well in hoops. For some reason, the rest of the SEC thinks BB is an interlude between FB and baseball. Oh, by the way the SC Gamecocks have won the national baseball championship two years in a row. This year, though, it'll most likely be Florida.

How's Mizzery's golf or women's volley ball teams? And, yes, they MIzzery will have the best journalism school in the SEC. Can't wait to watch that game. :ph34r:

It probably has to do with the fact that the SEC has been home to the last 6 BCS Champs. I don't think Mizzou will have a tough go of it on the basketball side, as the Big 12 has always been a tough conference. However, I think it is completely fair for people to speculate about the Mizzou football team's chances in the SEC, as the SEC has been far and away the best FB conference the past few years.

It is a monumental blunder for Missouri to go to the SEC.

In FB they will lose at home to GA and Ala, on the road to SC, Tenn, Fla, and probably A&M. 3-5, 2-6 in conference.

The SEC is superior to the Big 12, poor "D" in the Big 12, MU will be playing some outstanding athletes on "D" most every game. They might catch a break, GA has several key starters on "D" suspended for the early game.

And don't look for MU to get any breaks from the SEC refs on a Saturday night in the deep South.

In hoops, they should do better, middle of the pack, maybe top 1/3.

Mizzery's gonna get creamed in FB in the SEC until they upgrade their roster w/ kids from FL, LA, AL, GA, SC etc. I just don't see a lot of kids from those states suddenly saying, "I want to go to MO because they're now in the SEC." Some will, but the top players will still choose the tried and true SEC schools, because they've been cheering for 'em their whole lives.

Mizzery's gonna get creamed in FB in the SEC until they upgrade their roster w/ kids from FL, LA, AL, GA, SC etc. I just don't see a lot of kids from those states suddenly saying, "I want to go to MO because they're now in the SEC." Some will, but the top players will still choose the tried and true SEC schools, because they've been cheering for 'em their whole lives.

Yeah, Mizzou has no chance against football powers like Kentucky, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Mississippi St., etc. :rolleyes:

While the top of the conference is extremely good there are plenty of wins available to decent teams and Mizzou will get their fair share of them.

The big question for Mizzou fans should be when the novelty wears off after a few years are their fans really going to get excited for games against Georgia, South Carolina, Kentucky, Vandy and Tennessee. Florida is the only team in that division that would really excite me. I have my doubts.

'72. Obviously you are a big SEC football fine. Not my biggest passion in life but I do admit that the SEC was probably a better a football conference than the BigXII has been these past 10 years. Certainly from a talent standpoint, the SEC sends the most players to the NFL. Not that talent always wins games but the talent level with the conference is probably higher.

And yes, the SEC has been awarded the top prize/trophy by the media/BCS coalition these past whatever years. IMO, LSU and Alabama should not have been the final game last year and hence not a given that the SEC should have been awarded the trophy. Note: been awarded is not the same thing a proven it on the field by the head to head competition like a playoff would bring.

As to the SEC, I direct you to KShoe's last point which is making my point -- not all teams in the SEC are as good as that year's top team. In fact, Florida is not as dominant as it once was. Same with Tennessee. LSU and Alabama are the tops -- I agree -- but your posts act like Mizzou has never been on the field with a top team before and that Mizzou will finally face "real" competition. Let me remind you that Texas, Oklahoma and Nebraska also have football teams and, in fact, they have been pretty good over the years. In recent years, same with T. Boone Pickens State (a/k/a Oklahoma State). Wins in Austin, Texas and Norman, Oklahoma were largely non-existent as will be in the Tuscaloosa and the Bayou. Still, Mizzou is used to playing Top 5 football teams and has been doing so for the 40 years I have been following them.

The real question is whether or not Mizzou will be able to keep attracting top level talent. Right now, they are getting most kids from Missouri along with some really good "diamonds in the rough" from the state of Texas who arrive with a chip on their shoulder for not being offered by UT and by A&M, etc. and now its payback time. Mizzou has given these kids from Texas a chance to play and get even with the Texas schools. Question: will they still come to now play LSU, Alabama and A & M or will they find other choices (possibly Kasas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Oklahoma State) who can still play UT and what's left of the Big XII

This sign has less to do with football than it has to do with student recruitment.

you are assuming potential mi$$ouri students can read. however i would agree that the brighter mi$$ouri students that can indeed read would spend most of their read time reading billboards.

'72. Obviously you are a big SEC football fine. Not my biggest passion in life but I do admit that the SEC was probably a better a football conference than the BigXII has been these past 10 years. Certainly from a talent standpoint, the SEC sends the most players to the NFL. Not that talent always wins games but the talent level with the conference is probably higher.

And yes, the SEC has been awarded the top prize/trophy by the media/BCS coalition these past whatever years. IMO, LSU and Alabama should not have been the final game last year and hence not a given that the SEC should have been awarded the trophy. Note: been awarded is not the same thing a proven it on the field by the head to head competition like a playoff would bring.

As to the SEC, I direct you to KShoe's last point which is making my point -- not all teams in the SEC are as good as that year's top team. In fact, Florida is not as dominant as it once was. Same with Tennessee. LSU and Alabama are the tops -- I agree -- but your posts act like Mizzou has never been on the field with a top team before and that Mizzou will finally face "real" competition. Let me remind you that Texas, Oklahoma and Nebraska also have football teams and, in fact, they have been pretty good over the years. In recent years, same with T. Boone Pickens State (a/k/a Oklahoma State). Wins in Austin, Texas and Norman, Oklahoma were largely non-existent as will be in the Tuscaloosa and the Bayou. Still, Mizzou is used to playing Top 5 football teams and has been doing so for the 40 years I have been following them.

The real question is whether or not Mizzou will be able to keep attracting top level talent. Right now, they are getting most kids from Missouri along with some really good "diamonds in the rough" from the state of Texas who arrive with a chip on their shoulder for not being offered by UT and by A&M, etc. and now its payback time. Mizzou has given these kids from Texas a chance to play and get even with the Texas schools. Question: will they still come to now play LSU, Alabama and A & M or will they find other choices (possibly Kasas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Oklahoma State) who can still play UT and what's left of the Big XII

I'm not really that big a fan of college FB, but living down here in the heart of Gamecock country it's always on the table how tough the SEC is. And they've got a point. Don't discount Tenn. Their fans are hot they're not in contention for titles. Vandy will always be the doormat, but they've pulled off some upsets. Ol Miss, who knows what's up w/ them. Miss St. will be up and down. My point was unless Mizzery can recruit with the biggies like AL, LSU, SC, GA, FL, AUB, ARK, they will likely be a middle of the pack team. The difference between the B12 and the SEC is quantity of quality teams. Yes, the B12 has their moments with TX and OK. The SEC just has more of them, ie really good teams. And really I'm talking right off the top of my head about Mizzery FB because other than the years I lived in STL, I've never followed them. For all I know they may be a national contender this year. Good for them. My resentment towards Mizzery is BB driven.

In the major metros these billboards are running 5-7k each. That is quite the expense, and I just can't understand what the point of this is??

-i don't understand it either, the continued fascination with mizzou on this board is something, oh, you were talking about the billboards ;)