Let's See if MU gets the Headline

Billboy1

Don't discount Tenn. Their fans are hot they're not in contention for titles.

I hate UT. Absolutely despise there team and everything they stand for. There is no worse color in the world than that putrid UT orange. That being said, they have had a tough few years, but will be vying for a national championship before long. To say they are some sort of doormat or lower tier school is plain wrong. I've never seen ANYTHING like UT fans. And despite my hatred, everybody should see a game at Neiland.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate UT. Absolutely despise there team and everything they stand for. There is no worse color in the world than that putrid UT orange. That being said, they have had a tough few years, but will be vying for a national championship before long. To say they are some sort of doormat or lower tier school is plain wrong. I've never seen ANYTHING like UT fans. And despite my hatred, everybody should see a game at Neiland.

Agreed. Discounting UT in football is equivalent to discounting UCLA in basketball.

I'm pleased you guys are discussing our football program and its marketing efforts.

Here's an article about it from the Atlanta paper:

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2012/04/18/new-sec-member-does-something-big-to-catch-attention-of-georgia-recruit/

Here's my favorite part, which is head coach Gary Pinkel's explanation as to why Georgia recruits might be interested in Mizzou:

"What is Pinkel’s sales pitch to Georgia’s prospects?

“The facts are, in the last six years, we’re eighth in the BCS with winning in the nation. Those are facts. We’re certainly one of six teams that have won eight or more games in the last seven years. So we win at Missouri, and we consistently win. Over the last six years, we’ve graduated 96-percent of our players. Missouri is a great place and it’s a great college town with 33,000 students. Kids love to go to school here. We’ve got a lot to sell.”"

It's a great time to be a Tiger fan. I'm glad you are focusing on us - a lot of people are!

And Roy, the money from the $EC is going to be unbelievable! Think how much even Frank Freakin' Haith will have to inve$t in player$ It's upward and onward!

Go Mi$$ou!

Tough time to be a hater, but oh well, that's your perogative.

In the major metros these billboards are running 5-7k each. That is quite the expense, and I just can't understand what the point of this is??

Missouri is joining the premier football conference which encompasses a relatively new geographic area. Missouri is not only marketing to prospective football recruits, but to prospective students. Isn't that one of the reasons SLU joined the A10? Has SLU done any marketing in the east since joining the A10?

This stuff isn't rocket science, but then again I understand you are a SLU grad (presumably).

My point was unless Mizzery can recruit with the biggies like AL, LSU, SC, GA, FL, AUB, ARK, they will likely be a middle of the pack team. The difference between the B12 and the SEC is quantity of quality teams.

Honestly, we are basically a middle of the pack or slightly better football team in the Big

you are assuming potential mi$$ouri students can read. however i would agree that the brighter mi$$ouri students that can indeed read would spend most of their read time reading billboards.

Funny stuff, Roy. Only a keen intellect could come up with something like this. :P

I guess I am the one to blame for resurrecting this old Mizzou post. I just thought kind of strange seeing a Mizzou billboard right in the middle of Atlanta. Missouri means nothing to me, I neither love them or hate them but still don't understand the purpose

I do agree with my good friend Larry 72 on this and hope Mizzou knows what they are in for. It is religion down here and they all seem totally consumed with football.You kind have to live down here and intermingle with these folks to believe it. Seems like every car and pickup in Georgia has this 'G' somewhere on the car/pickup. I go to several SEC games a year and I have to admit I grown very fond of it. The whole spectacle with its traditions and culture behind it is amazing. Now I have not been to many Mizzou games lately, last time was in the early/mid 70's and recall sitting on this hill to watch the games.

As far competing, in the last 10 years of the Cotton Bowl the SEC is 8-2 with the Big 12. Usually the team that goes to the Cotton Bowl is in the middle of the standings of the SEC. The champion is usually going to the champion BCS bowl which the SEC has 7 championships in the last 10 years.

Mizzou better be prepared to open the check book to compete.

It should also noted, most SEC fans (from a variety of schools) are not very happy with Missouri, A&M, etc.. coming in. They like things as they are :angry:

I'm pleased you guys are discussing our football program and its marketing efforts. Here's an article about it from the Atlanta paper: http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2012/04/18/new-sec-member-does-something-big-to-catch-attention-of-georgia-recruit/ Here's my favorite part, which is head coach Gary Pinkel's explanation as to why Georgia recruits might be interested in Mizzou: "What is Pinkel’s sales pitch to Georgia’s prospects? “The facts are, in the last six years, we’re eighth in the BCS with winning in the nation. Those are facts. We’re certainly one of six teams that have won eight or more games in the last seven years. So we win at Missouri, and we consistently win. Over the last six years, we’ve graduated 96-percent of our players. Missouri is a great place and it’s a great college town with 33,000 students. Kids love to go to school here. We’ve got a lot to sell.”" It's a great time to be a Tiger fan. I'm glad you are focusing on us - a lot of people are! And Roy, the money from the $EC is going to be unbelievable! Think how much even Frank Freakin' Haith will have to inve$t in player$ It's upward and onward! Go Mi$$ou! Tough time to be a hater, but oh well, that's your perogative.

your continued arrogance only continues to validate our hatred of mi$$ouri. sad to see you are now openly admitting the corruption of your basketball coach that we all have suspected. but i guess that is indeed the sec way. embrace the filth.

missouri tax dollars hard at work

yes they are - I would bet tax dollars that go to support the University of Missouri provide a very good return. Mizzou football is likely the most profitable state supported entity so criticizing this is a pretty silly argument.

your continued arrogance only continues to validate our hatred of mi$$ouri. sad to see you are now openly admitting the corruption of your basketball coach that we all have suspected. but i guess that is indeed the sec way. embrace the filth.

Your hatred of Mizzou is bizarre to say the least. It needs no validation. Mizzou is moving onwards and upwards. It now has 33,000 students. Even in these trying economic times, it has had record enrollments the last few years. It is excelling in every way, academically and athletically. Go ahead and hate, it makes no difference to Mizzou!

I'm pleased you guys are discussing our football program and its marketing efforts.

Here's an article about it from the Atlanta paper:

http://blogs.ajc.com...eorgia-recruit/

Here's my favorite part, which is head coach Gary Pinkel's explanation as to why Georgia recruits might be interested in Mizzou:

"What is Pinkel’s sales pitch to Georgia’s prospects?

“The facts are, in the last six years, we’re eighth in the BCS with winning in the nation. Those are facts. We’re certainly one of six teams that have won eight or more games in the last seven years. So we win at Missouri, and we consistently win. Over the last six years, we’ve graduated 96-percent of our players. Missouri is a great place and it’s a great college town with 33,000 students. Kids love to go to school here. We’ve got a lot to sell.”"

It's a great time to be a Tiger fan. I'm glad you are focusing on us - a lot of people are!

And Roy, the money from the $EC is going to be unbelievable! Think how much even Frank Freakin' Haith will have to inve$t in player$ It's upward and onward!

Go Mi$$ou!

Tough time to be a hater, but oh well, that's your perogative.

Yeah, Jayhawk fans watch you choke to Norfolk State and then their team goes on a run to the NCAA championship game. I'm sure that was tough time for the haters. :blink:

Your hatred of Mizzou is bizarre to say the least. It needs no validation. Mizzou is moving onwards and upwards. It now has 33,000 students. Even in these trying economic times, it has had record enrollments the last few years. It is excelling in every way, academically and athletically. Go ahead and hate, it makes no difference to Mizzou!

You should move onwards and upwards to here: http://www.tigerboard.com/

Yeah, Jayhawk fans watch you choke to Norfolk State and then their team goes on a run to the NCAA championship game. I'm sure that was tough time for the haters. :blink:

Sure, you roll with the punches.

I'll put Mizzou's NCAA tournament record up against SLU's any day of the week.

Not this year. ;) What a tough time for the "haters." :lol:

While I sincerely congratulate SLU on winning a game in the NCAA tournament, I'm not sure a 1-1 record is something to gloat about. Then again, considering your hiatus from participating in the tournament for 10 plus years, I guess it is.

Congrats!

Sure, you roll with the punches. I'll put Mizzou's NCAA tournament record up against SLU's any day of the week.

must hurt bad that after that whole year of faux glory by beating all the bottom 50 teams and a watered down big 12 to end up knowing that of the area schools good ole mi$$ouri ends up being perceived as the second team in the st louis area just barely ahead of trainwreck illinois.

While I sincerely congratulate SLU on winning a game in the NCAA tournament, I'm not sure a 1-1 record is something to gloat about. Then again, considering your hiatus from participating in the tournament for 10 plus years, I guess it is.

Congrats!

I was hardly gloating about us, just poking fun at your boasting about what a hard time it has been for the "haters." Watching the Mizzou pom pom wavers go in meltdown mode after the Norfolk State choke and then the KU run provided great entertainment.

must hurt bad that after that whole year of faux glory by beating all the bottom 50 teams and a watered down big 12 to end up knowing that of the area schools good ole mi$$ouri ends up being perceived as the second team in the st louis area just barely ahead of trainwreck illinois.

No, it's real simple. A year with very little expectations going in exceeded all expectations. We beat Baylor, an elite eight team, three times. We split with final four bound KU. We hung a big 12 tournament championship banner in the rafters. Yes, Norfolk State was a bummer. Not like we haven't dealt with that before. Despite losing a lot of talent, we have a lot coming in.

Go check out the Mizzou, Illinois game if you want to see who is important to college basketball fans in St. Louis every year. That must drive you crazy. I know it drives your attention ***** of a coach crazy, that's usually when he starts running his mouth about Mizzou, when he sees the full house Mizzou/Illinois gets every year.

No, it's real simple. A year with very little expectations going in exceeded all expectations. We beat Baylor, an elite eight team, three times. We split with final four bound KU. We hung a big 12 tournament championship banner in the rafters. Yes, Norfolk State was a bummer. Not like we haven't dealt with that before. Despite losing a lot of talent, we have a lot coming in.

Go check out the Mizzou, Illinois game if you want to see who is important to college basketball fans in St. Louis every year. That must drive you crazy. I know it drives your attention ***** of a coach crazy, that's usually when he starts running his mouth about Mizzou, when he sees the full house Mizzou/Illinois gets every year.

Maybe you can keep bragging over at: http://www.tigerboard.com/

If you think Mizzou had very little expections going into the season, you should look at what SLU did. Going from a 12-19 season last year to a 26-8 season this year with the same players is what I call exceeding all expectations. (It is sad that you and others had little expectations of a team with 7 seniors and a good record [23-11] last year.)

Also, don't mess with Majerus on this board. Your "Coach of the Year" inherited a great team of players, then lost to a 15-seed. Majerus is a great coach hands down. Majerus wants attention because attention is what helps to make a team great. Why do you think your Big 12 or SEC schools do so well? Its the NATIONAL ATTENTION they get. National attention helps recruiting, funding, etc. Check this out if you would like to see statistical, unbiased data on Majerus' awesome job this season. http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/rick_majerus_awesome_coach/

I will admit Mizzou did great this season and that your coach is good. I even enjoy rooting for Mizzou. But if you come here and talk trash, we're going to rub dirt your wounds. By the way, good job making history this year, losing to a 15 seed.

Every once in a while MUTGR has a few classy posts, then he goes off on rants like this and starts calling our coach an attention *****, mocking our NCAA appearance, etc. It always interesting when people reveal their true stripes.

p.s. you may want to purchase a calendar one of these days as RM's requests to play Mizzou involve far more than the period right around the Bragging Rights game. It's just too bad your adminstration is to chickensheat to ever play the game.

The cheerleaders in the Ukraine wear hooker boots.

The DJIA market is up 80 points right now.

I'd like to own a lake house some day.

I had a satisfying lunch today.

"Ben Affleck married Jennifer Garner but you married a bartender with a kid. These are facts."

- Matt Damon's neck, speaking to Matt Damon

Posted Image

If you think Mizzou had very little expections going into the season, you should look at what SLU did. Going from a 12-19 season last year to a 26-8 season this year with the same players is what I call exceeding all expectations. (It is sad that you and others had little expectations of a team with 7 seniors and a good record [23-11] last year.)

Also, don't mess with Majerus on this board. Your "Coach of the Year" inherited a great team of players, then lost to a 15-seed. Majerus is a great coach hands down. Majerus wants attention because attention is what helps to make a team great. Why do you think your Big 12 or SEC schools do so well? Its the NATIONAL ATTENTION they get. National attention helps recruiting, funding, etc. Check this out if you would like to see statistical, unbiased data on Majerus' awesome job this season. http://kenpom.com/bl..._awesome_coach/

I will admit Mizzou did great this season and that your coach is good. I even enjoy rooting for Mizzou. But if you come here and talk trash, we're going to rub dirt your wounds. By the way, good job making history this year, losing to a 15 seed.

The coach of the year inherited 7 scolarship players.