A10 Awards

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunphy is a great coach, but disappointed RM didn't get coach of the year. Temple returned an experienced team that had been to the Big Dance the prior year. Coming off the season SLU had last year, I think RM deserved the award.

http://www.atlantic10.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/030512aaa.html

Coach of the Year

Fran Dunphy, Temple

Player of the Year

Andrew Nicholson, St. Bonaventure

Defensive Player of the Year

C.J. Aiken, Saint Joseph's

Rookie of the Year

Kendall Anthony, Richmond

Sixth Man of the Year

Ronald Roberts, Saint Joseph's

Chris Daniels Most Improved Player

Earl Pettis, La Salle

All Academic Team

Luke Fabrizius, Dayton

Nemanja Mikic, George Washington

Brian Conklin, Saint Louis

Kyle Cassity, Saint Louis

Juan Fernandez, Temple

First Team All-Conference

Chaz Williams, Massachusetts

Ramone Moore, Temple

Tu Holloway, Xavier

Second Team All-Conference

Kevin Dillard, Dayton

Chris Gaston, Fordham

Ramon Galloway, La Salle

Langston Galloway, Saint Joseph's

Khalif Wyatt, Temple

Third Team All-Conference

Chris Braswell, Charlotte

T.J. McConnell, Duquesne

Kwamain Mitchell, Saint Louis

Juan Fernandez, Temple

Mark Lyons, Xavier

All-Conference Honorable Mention

Chris Johnson, Dayton

Earl Pettis, La Salle

Carl Jones, Saint Joseph's

Halil Kanacevic, Saint Joseph's

All-Defensive Team

T.J. McConnell, Duquesne

Darrius Garrett, Richmond

Jordair Jett, Saint Louis

All-Rookie Team

Pierria Henry, Charlotte

Jerrell Wright, La Salle

Jonathan Holton, Rhode Island

Dezmine Wells, Xavier

Dunphy is a great coach, but disappointed RM didn't get coach of the year. Temple returned an experienced team that had been to the Big Dance the prior year. Coming off the season SLU had last year, I think RM deserved the award.

They both slightly outpreformed their preseason predicted finish. Either one would have been an acceptable winner. No shame in finishing second to Dunphy.

-CONGRATS to our student/athletes awarded here

-who was our last first team all conf player?

-did tu make it on reputation as opposed to this yr's performance? i have not seen his numbers versus others

-is chaz williams overrated here?

Congrats to all the winners!

Conk's improvement is amazing. This is a guy that in the 2nd half of his sophomore year saw Cody come in and take most of his minutes. He handled it with complete class and worked his butt off to become 1st team all conference. Gotta love guys like that.

I have some issues, but relatively minor ones ........ player of the year was likely a two-man race between Nicholson and Moore. I have no problems with Nicholson, the Bonnies overachieved. Don't believe Pettis deserved MIP --- but at least Conk got first team. SUPER! I am shocked actually. As for Sixth Man, I don't have a problem. Roberts was a beast in the games I saw; Cody had some non-factor nights. Maybe Roberts did too but I didn't see enough to know. As I said before, i thought Wells deserved Rookie of the Year but Anthony was second leading scorer for Richmond. Oh well, there really wasn't a lot of distinguished freshmen anywhere in the A10 in my book. And it looks like the all-rookie team was freshmen only.

I think coach of the year also should have included Kellog at Umass and old whatshisname at Bonaventure. No way Dunphy gets it just foir winning the regular season crown with that program. Majerus deserved some votes too.

As for the slots, I think I might take Dillard or Wyatt off second team and move them to first for Tutu. There is no way Ramon Galloway is second team over Kwamain. Galloway is a turnover waiting to happen. I think McConnell is overrated. And how can your Defensive POY NOT be on any of your all-conference teams? Even no honorable mention? How can St. Joe's, the eighth ranked team in the league, get it's entire starting five (okay, Roberts doesn't start) named to something yet the #2 team in the league only has three players named (not counting all academics)?

http://www.atlantic1.../030512aaa.html

Coach of the Year

Fran Dunphy, Temple

Player of the Year

Defensive Player of the Year

Rookie of the Year

Sixth Man of the Year

Ronald Roberts, Saint Joseph's

Chris Daniels Most Improved Player

Earl Pettis, La Salle

All Academic Team

Luke Fabrizius, Dayton

Nemanja Mikic, George Washington

Kyle Cassity, Saint Louis

Juan Fernandez, Temple

First Team All-Conference

Chaz Williams, Massachusetts

Ramone Moore, Temple

Tu Holloway, Xavier

Second Team All-Conference

Kevin Dillard, Dayton

Chris Gaston, Fordham

Ramon Galloway, La Salle

Langston Galloway, Saint Joseph's

Khalif Wyatt, Temple

Third Team All-Conference

Chris Braswell, Charlotte

T.J. McConnell, Duquesne

Kwamain Mitchell, Saint Louis

Juan Fernandez, Temple

Mark Lyons, Xavier

All-Conference Honorable Mention

Chris Johnson, Dayton

Earl Pettis, La Salle

Carl Jones, Saint Joseph's

Halil Kanacevic, Saint Joseph's

All-Defensive Team

T.J. McConnell, Duquesne

Darrius Garrett, Richmond

Jordair Jett, Saint Louis

All-Rookie Team

Pierria Henry, Charlotte

Jerrell Wright, La Salle

Jonathan Holton, Rhode Island

Dezmine Wells, Xavier

I am delighted for JJ that he got some excellent recognition but the defensive team is an example of odd results in this sort of selection process. MM has been absolutely outstanding, to the point of being a stopper, the second half of the year on defense. He plays a lot more minutes than JJ and he is a much better on ball defender. On the other hand, JJ is a much more versatile defender in terms of his being able to defend bigger guys when we go to a lineup with MM, KM and JJ. In any event, we have both of them back for two more years to play incredible defense and get stronger and better. What a wonderful prospect!

Congrats to all the Bills that got named! Here are some of my thoughts, which some have already posted this morning:

-Really happy for Conk to be 1st team. However, how was he not MIP? Granted, Pettis had a significantly better season than last year, but I can't believe anyone improved more than Conk did this season. It was an amazing transformation.

-It is hard to argue with Dunphy as COY, but an excellent case could have been made for RM. I would have thought the turnaround from 12-19 to 24-6 would have been enough to give the edge to RM. I wonder how the close the voting was...

-I would have liked to see Cody get the 6th Man award, but I can see why Roberts got it. Basically, their offensive production was the same (but in vastly different ways) and Roberts is a better rebounder. But, as someone above said, when it is that close, you tend to go with the player from the better team.

-Really happy to see JJ make the All-Defensive squad. While it is totally deserved on an individual basis, I also think that the thought was that SOMEBODY from SLU had to be on this team based on SLU's overall defensive performance. So they basically went with the most versatile defender on the team, who is also the player who most typifies the team's overall defensive attitude.

-I fully expect to see McCall, Evans and Cody join Kwamain on the All-Conference list next season.

I understand when you look at numbers why he only made the third team, but how many would take Tu or Dillard over Kwamain? I wouldn't.

which kwamain? the one we thought would come out this year or the one that did play this year? kwamain is a good player, but imo he did not play at the level i was expecting. he had flashes where he was downright amazing, but he had a lot of casper disappearing moments as well. i would probably take the soph kwamain over this year kwamain.

that all said, third team all conference is nothing to sneeze at or complain about mitchell is a very good player and i am thrilled we have another year coming of mitchell ball.

as to coach of the year, let me get this straight, you all want to penalize the guy that just continues to win to give it to the guy that improved the most from last year? shouldnt the award be most improved season coach then?

the way i look at it, returning players, sustained program, win vs duke, win vs slu, finished higher in the standings with a better conference record. dunphy is the better coach. i will give rickma the most improved program. but he didnt have a better season than dunphy.

as to coach of the year, let me get this straight, you all want to penalize the guy that just continues to win to give it to the guy that improved the most from last year? shouldnt the award be most improved season coach then?

the way i look at it, returning players, sustained program, win vs duke, win vs slu, finished higher in the standings with a better conference record. dunphy is the better coach. i will give rickma the most improved program. but he didnt have a better season than dunphy.

Roy, I'm shocked that you didn't pick Majerus for this award! ;) Considering that I believe you predicted SLU as an 18-win team, didn't RM greatly exceed expectations in your eyes?