Jake Barnett

someoneelse

I can't argue for him getting court time, but he seems to be out of the mix until ???? I kind of feel bad for him in that he transferred from a (much) lesser program where he excelled to a program where he hasn't logged meaningful minutes in two years. I would not be surprised if the program is recruiting 'over' him by year's end.

It is a good problem to have quality people on the bench.

Ah, well.

Long season. Let's see how it plays out. Right now tough getting him minutes w/ Jett playing so well. But am sure if he works his butt off and shows promise, RM will find him some meaningful minutes before it's all said and done. Remember RM said, he's got all conference potential.

I can't argue for him getting court time, but he seems to be out of the mix until ???? I kind of feel bad for him in that he transferred from a (much) lesser program where he excelled to a program where he hasn't logged meaningful minutes in two years. I would not be surprised if the program is recruiting 'over' him by year's end.

Ah, well.

The reason he is not playing as much as we thought is because of his lack of defensive skills.

The reason he is not playing as much as we thought is because of his lack of defensive skills.

Agreed, and defense is such a big part of our game. Barnett will be getting minutes down the road once we start playing some lesser teams, but we can't afford to take chances with this cinderella story of a season we're having, gotta be careful. And even his presence on the bench is great, because he is such a good teammate, always pumped up and supportive, whereas some guys would be selfish and upset about not getting their minutes. Good guy, hope he develops.

Ah, well.

When KC graduates, there will be an opportunity for Barnett to get some PT and for Jett and McCall to get more minutes... and once BC leaves, CR will have an opportunity to get more minutes and JM and GG can enter the rotation. That is what happens at good programs.

As to next year, don't forget about ET when you mention playing time after the graduation of KC. Also, we will have a really good freshman point guard looking for guard minutes as well next year.

As to this year, remember that at this time last year, DE was the "forgotten" guy sitting on our bench and most us of thought he might just as well redshirt. Then, DE starting getting some minutes in December and next thing we knew, DE was our best player down the stretch. We'll just have to wait and see how things work - even this year - for Barnett. Not saying this will happen to Barnett this year but we will have some rather easy games in the month of December and Barnett will get a chance to show us what he's got.

When KC graduates, there will be an opportunity for Barnett to get some PT and for Jett and McCall to get more minutes... and once BC leaves, CR will have an opportunity to get more minutes and JM and GG can enter the rotation. That is what happens at good programs.

Exactly.

I think we're seeing a tremendous increase in the pace of play....and an increase on reliance on the 3 ball. Jake will have a place in an offense designed around 3 point shots. With the increase in pace, there will also be more minutes going around to keep everybody fresh. I expect the departure of KC to open up a lot of minutes. We'll also be able to exclusively play upper classmen for the foreseeable future. So, a freshman can actually be a freshman and sit on the bench until it's his time. I think it's a sign that the "program" is stabilizing.

agree he isnt as good defensively as the guards ahead of him, however the real barnett disappointment imo is he just isnt as good of a shooter as we expected/were told. the times i have watched him now he rarely releases the ball the same twice. get weird spins, inconsistent arch, feet not set. really apparently got lost over the last 12 months. if i was barnett, i would do all i could to fix that shot first and foremost. if not, he is not going to play at slu beyond garbage time for the next 2.5 years considering we got a top guard recruit and a swingman coming to replace cassity. i.e. the depth chart doesnt really open up for jake anytime soon.

I know JB would probably like to see the court, but he looks like a great teammate that is first of the bench to congratulate the guys during TO's. He looks generally excited even if he is not getting much PT.

During the tournament he was talking with the coaches on several occassions about what he saw the opposing team running or trying to run on the offensive side. I'm sure the coaches saw the same thing, but that just shows how into the game he really is. Also, he was constantly encouraging or helping his teammates out whenever he could during play or timeouts. He is not seeing the floor yet because of his defense and ball handling. We know he can shoot but until these other skills catch up he won't see much time. He is clearly a good teammate and if he's the player Rick thinks he is, he will play, its just a matter of time.

As to next year, don't forget about ET when you mention playing time after the graduation of KC. Also, we will have a really good freshman point guard looking for guard minutes as well next year.

As to this year, remember that at this time last year, DE was the "forgotten" guy sitting on our bench and most us of thought he might just as well redshirt. Then, DE starting getting some minutes in December and next thing we knew, DE was our best player down the stretch. We'll just have to wait and see how things work - even this year - for Barnett. Not saying this will happen to Barnett this year but we will have some rather easy games in the month of December and Barnett will get a chance to show us what he's got.

Not sure what you are talking about here. Maybe prior to the season starting last year, many on this board were wondering what Evans's role on the team would be. But first off, redshirt wasn't an option after Mitchell and Reed were suspended, as we needed every available player to play. And two, once the season started, Evans was clearly in middle of the rotation. Prior to December, he had played at least 13 minutes in each game, topping 20 in 3 of 6, for an average of 19 MPG.

Basically, comparing the situations of Barnett and Evans doesn't fly. Evans was placed in the rotation as soon as the season started. With Barnett, it is clear that RM wants to go with a 9 man rotation and right now, JB is on the outside looking in. It is going to take an injury or someone slumping hard for him to crack it at this time. He might get some playing time prior to the conference season due to an easier schedule, but I would guess that by conference time, RM will go back to a strict 9 man rotation.

Ah, well.

Because of his transfer he had to sit last year out so this is the only year he could have been playing. RM was high on him when he came in - thought he might even be all conf in the A10 - if he is not getting playing time it is only his fault - he either has not learned the system well enough or the competition is to stiff and well that is just life.

agree he isnt as good defensively as the guards ahead of him, however the real barnett disappointment imo is he just isnt as good of a shooter as we expected/were told. the times i have watched him now he rarely releases the ball the same twice. get weird spins, inconsistent arch, feet not set. really apparently got lost over the last 12 months. if i was barnett, i would do all i could to fix that shot first and foremost. if not, he is not going to play at slu beyond garbage time for the next 2.5 years considering we got a top guard recruit and a swingman coming to replace cassity. i.e. the depth chart doesnt really open up for jake anytime soon.

This seems to be a fair assessment of Jake's situation. Absent injury, I don't see him getting much court time this season. Even when one of the starting guards gets in foul trouble it has just meant more minutes for Jett / McCall and not that coach goes deeper to play Barnett. His calling card was supposed to be shooting and I was disappointed when I got a look at his shot in the preseason games. Awkward. Agree with Roy that he should rebuild his shot in the offseason in preparation for challenging for a spot in the rotation in 2012-2013. Nobody should be handed playing time on a platter. Jake will have to go out there and fight for it next season, which makes our team better no matter who ends up taking Cassity's minutes the following season.

Not sure what you are talking about here. Maybe prior to the season starting last year, many on this board were wondering what Evans's role on the team would be. But first off, redshirt wasn't an option after Mitchell and Reed were suspended, as we needed every available player to play. And two, once the season started, Evans was clearly in middle of the rotation. Prior to December, he had played at least 13 minutes in each game, topping 20 in 3 of 6, for an average of 19 MPG. Basically, comparing the situations of Barnett and Evans doesn't fly. Evans was placed in the rotation as soon as the season started. With Barnett, it is clear that RM wants to go with a 9 man rotation and right now, JB is on the outside looking in. It is going to take an injury or someone slumping hard for him to crack it at this time. He might get some playing time prior to the conference season due to an easier schedule, but I would guess that by conference time, RM will go back to a strict 9 man rotation.

JB has bad footwork on defense; he will shoot enough to get himself points-he is not reluctant like KC used to be. I would like to see everybody get more minutes but don't want

overtime games to accomplish this. I feel the same way about JM-it sure would be great to get him more minutes if he is not read shirted because you can sense he wants it and with polish he, Loe, Glaze, Ellis, Evans are going to be even better next year. I love BC but think we are going to have a great 2 plus year run with existing players.

JB has bad footwork on defense; he will shoot enough to get himself points-he is not reluctant like KC used to be. I would like to see everybody get more minutes but don't want

overtime games to accomplish this. I feel the same way about JM-it sure would be great to get him more minutes if he is not read shirted because you can sense he wants it and with polish he, Loe, Glaze, Ellis, Evans are going to be even better next year. I love BC but think we are going to have a great 2 plus year run with existing players.

John Manning and Grandy Glaze cannot take a redshirt unless there's an injury (really soon) that causes said player to miss the rest of the season.

John Manning and Grandy Glaze cannot take a redshirt unless there's an injury (really soon) that causes said player to miss the rest of the season.

Of the three JM seems more ready to play than GG or JB and of course we know redshirts have not been asked for and only an injury would give the slightest possibility or one for this year. CR certainly would have benefitted for one if it had not been for Willie leaving the program

Two things,

First of all, I don't think any of the three can take a redshirt year now because they have all played in a real game, not just the exhibitions. Boxscore stats shows Manning in 3, Barnett in two and Glaze in 1. I don't have the rules memorized but if you play in one game for one minute, the season is in the books. Please correct me if I am wrong. If you are injured, you can PETITION for another year but there is no guarantee the NCAA will give you one.

Two, RM has always mostly said he prefers a nine-man rotation. JB is the odd man out, based on what I see here, due to his defense, which, if you don't do it the Majerus way, you sit (See Ellis last year and even Cassity when he was beat on that inbounds play on Sunday). I am in the crowd that says you move up the chain with graduations as the program stabilizes. Maybe JB moves up next year. In any case, it's a heck of a dilemma to have.

And the year is young and injuries may come into play. It's a nice dilemma to have.

For now, I am counting the Greek in same way I counted Daniel Lisch a few years ago ---- as a practice player. It has a long way to go to see if he ever sees the light of day in any meaningful Chaifetz minutes.

Barnett, if he can find his shot and play enough D to please the big guy, will get minutes this year, next year, and the next. Mccall and Jett have swapped places on the Billiken depth chart. Barnett could certainly work his way into the rotation. Remember Carlos McCauley and John Rheddon going from bit players to indispensable? Conklin went from 0 to God in one season. It's wrong to write off Majerus recruits like we used to write off Brad's and Zo's......

Barnett, if he can find his shot and play enough D to please the big guy, will get minutes this year, next year, and the next. Mccall and Jett have swapped places on the Billiken depth chart. Barnett could certainly work his way into the rotation. Remember Carlos McCauley and John Rheddon going from bit players to indispensable? Conklin went from 0 to God in one season. It's wrong to write off Majerus recruits like we used to write off Brad's and Zo's......

Great point. Even the Greek kid may turn out okay and get significant minutes in future years. Remember IV as a freshman?