Meet-and-Greet and Practice

NH

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to meet Tonka (and see backwards Billikenguest and the little Mueller w/ wife (Mueller's marry well)).

Tonka and I had one of those Billikens.com meeting moments. My uncle introduced me to someone who sits near him. Then Billikens.com came up, and Tonka said "I'm Tonka!"

I should do another round of shirts to make these things easier.

Good to meet Tonka (and see backwards Billikenguest and the little Mueller w/ wife (Mueller's marry well)).

Tonka and I had one of those Billikens.com meeting moments. My uncle introduced me to someone who sits near him. Then Billikens.com came up, and Tonka said "I'm Tonka!"

I'm the tall bearded ######. You'll know me when you see me.

I disagree, for the little over an hour that I was there I thought CR played just fine. He was working hard and getting rebounds. Will he start - no but he did have a decent practice from what I saw.

Didn't mean to imply he dogged it. Didn't make any plays though and was outshined by Manning.

Didn't mean to imply he dogged it. Didn't make any plays though and was outshined by Manning.

These practices are not about ESPN highlights - they are about functioning in a system which CR did reasonably well - he still does not have great hands but we already knew that. He was in position from what I saw and played decent defense. For a bench guy he had a good practice for the time I was there.

1. The sound of a 16oz. of beer for $5 is refreshing to me. I still love the fact that we have beer vendors on campus and that they were around for practice. Good work, SLU.

2. More importantly, has anyone developed a consistent 3 point shot? Unless KM was driving or alley-ooping to Big Willie, our offense has looked pretty anemic in recent years. I believe that if other teams have to keep a defender on the three point line there will be more room for KM, DE, MM, etc. to drive/create. Also, there should be more space/fractional time for our mediocre/unproven big men to finish in the paint. I know last year we ran a lot of pick and pops with CE but A) he shot a lot last year and missed quite often...; B) from reports in this thread, looks to be focusing on D and not taking his shot.

All that said, it's still very early / I think this team will be much improved on both sides of the ball.

1. The sound of a 16oz. of beer for $5 is refreshing to me. I still love the fact that we have beer vendors on campus and that they were around for practice. Good work, SLU.

2. More importantly, has anyone developed a consistent 3 point shot? Unless KM was driving or alley-ooping to Big Willie, our offense has looked pretty anemic in recent years. I believe that if other teams have to keep a defender on the three point line there will be more room for KM, DE, MM, etc. to drive/create. Also, there should be more space/fractional time for our mediocre/unproven big men to finish in the paint. I know last year we ran a lot of pick and pops with CE but A) he shot a lot last year and missed quite often...; B) from reports in this thread, looks to be focusing on D and not taking his shot.

All that said, it's still very early / I think this team will be much improved on both sides of the ball.

When I was walking out a guy said to me on the way up the stairwell - so what do you think? - I told him our D will be great but I still wonder about our ability to score - not sure if this helps you but I really did not see that much to lead me to believe that we will significantly increase our scoring from last year but the question you have to ask is how can we not improve since our scoring was so weak?

When I was walking out a guy said to me on the way up the stairwell - so what do you think? - I told him our D will be great but I still wonder about our ability to score - not sure if this helps you but I really did not see that much to lead me to believe that we will significantly increase our scoring from last year but the question you have to ask is how can we not improve since our scoring was so weak?

Yeah I thought the same thing. This team at times will still struggle to score but defensively we will be very good. I kept thinking, I feel sorry for whoever Kwamain is guarding this season. From ball denial to on the ball defense he is all over his man. Our opposition will have a tough time setting up their offense, also look for Kwamain to pick up his man full court this year with all the depth we have at guard.

I think you are vastly underestimating the impact Mitchell is going to have with his ability to shoot and drive the lane. This will obviously provide more time and space for our three point shooters. Not to mention he will be our leading scorer and best player...

I think you are vastly underestimating the impact Mitchell is going to have with his ability to shoot and drive the lane. This will obviously provide more time and space for our three point shooters. Not to mention he will be our leading scorer and best player...

I understand your point but nobody looked like they were the man to step up and pop for us. Maybe once real practice starts that will change but they simply did not look like an offensive type team from what I saw.

I understand your point but nobody looked like they were the man to step up and pop for us. Maybe once real practice starts that will change but they simply did not look like an offensive type team from what I saw.

Whenever Majerus gets back and starts dropping some 4 letter words they'll step up. Seriously though, I think we'll be fine on offense. Like Davola said above, our guys are going to get a ton of good looks simply because of KM's ability to beat his man off the dribble.

Steve, great meeting you too. It was good to put a screen name with a face. Your uncle sits right in front of me - great guy! If you ever come in town, please come over and say hi.

I stayed for the whole practice and must say we have a great group of guys on this team. There wasn't a whole lot of time to talk to the guys but I did get a few minutes with a few of them during the autographs and even more time after practice.

There were several times during the practice that I thought to myself, what were some of the guys on the Board talking about? It just goes to show that you can't make too much of seeing one practice.

My thoughts on a few - nothing really new that hasn't been shared:

- I heard someone say DE looked huge, so I went to practice expecting a big difference and I didn't see one. He definitely looked a little bigger, but I thought he was far from huge. DE also didn't stand out too much in this practice. He kind of flew under the radar IMO and often looked frustrated.

- JB - I went in not expecting much after reading assessments from the other practice, but I thought he looked good and did a lot of the right things. I also spoke with him after practice and while he needs to get bigger, he has the frame to add on more muscle. He's relatively broad which is good for adding on muscle.

- CE looked much leaner and in the best shape I've seen him so far. It doesn't look like he added much muscle, but definitely leaned out.

- CR - had a nice conversation with CR. Nice kid. Didn't do too much, but he definitely looks like added some weight and he even mentioned that he had. We talked about WR for a while and he said WR has been asking how practices are going and how the guys look.

- MM looked to have added a little size, but he really didn't stand out at all because he had a hard time doing anything against KM.

- JM - I was expecting little from him and I was pleasantly surprised. He may be a viable sub come conference play.

- GG wasn't there and I was really looking forward to seeing him.

- ET was there in dress clothes and watching with the fans. He had a few nice conversations with some of the older fans around him. He looks scrappy.

- BC - had very little time to warm up coming right from class and he stepped right in and looked the best I've seen him. He almost had a put back dunk but it was contested. His hops look so much better.

Simply can't wait!

Curious if Majerus ran practice? Did JJ dress out?

Majerus was there...sat quietly in the corner...didn't participate.

JJ dressed out but didn't play. When asked when he would practice next...he said maybe tomorrow.

GG shows promise...but may be a bit of a project...coaches were working with him.

CE shows more quickness and aggressiveness. Looking good.

JM can shoot...with some additional work...he will be getting some good playing time by Feb.

Overall, the team looks the best it has in a number of years

GG shows promise...but may be a bit of a project...coaches were working with him.

If he were a juco I'd be concerned but we are fine @ PF this season and don't really need contributions from GG. I like the thought of adding his physicality to the mix to replace the muscle that departs with Conk at the end of this season. Good get.

First time I saw GG looked like he is behind because of missed practices but has potential to fill BC role in a couple of years

JB looked better held DE down some; surprised JB missed as many free throws as he did

CR had a better practice is it too late to redshift him; he is going to finally prove out second semester senior year

KM and BC continue to standout

Simply can't wait!

Coach Majerus is spending time with Patrick Ingram and family? Just a few weeks after heart surgery, and a few days after losing his mother? Wow, what a lazy recruiter. We all thougt he'd be spending his time during practice making fun of a player's hearing disability.

This is the first practice I attended. Any else think they looked a bit sloppy yesterday? Not many baskets scored, Loe airballed a 3, several passes thrown out of bounds, lots of FTs missed, ect. As reported from other practices, Barnett was not particularly impressive. We'll see what happens when the games start. I think we're already going to see a minimum of 20 MPG of Cassity, probably more.

On the other hand, Conklin has developed a very good mid-range jumper.