Thanks to HTB

slu72

i think it is ironic that someone on a message board where 99% of the posters hide behind monikers is questioning credibility of something posted on the message board.

the way i look at it, i believe it until someone posts enough erroneous information. then take it for what it worth thereafter based on track record.

for example, p diddy has never steered us wrong. for-da-love has given very factual inside information. until they lie to us, i believe it.

thus far, i heard about this blog has given me no reason to doubt them. the most information we have gotten on this board about recruiting maybe ever. right now, i hold them pretty high on the "i want to read what they have to say" meter. and i very much thank them for their efforts.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i think it is ironic that someone on a message board where 99% of the posters hide behind monikers is questioning credibility of something posted on the message board.

the way i look at it, i believe it until someone posts enough erroneous information. then take it for what it worth thereafter based on track record.

for example, p diddy has never steered us wrong. for-da-love has given very factual inside information. until they lie to us, i believe it.

thus far, i heard about this blog has given me no reason to doubt them. the most information we have gotten on this board about recruiting maybe ever. right now, i hold them pretty high on the "i want to read what they have to say" meter. and i very much thank them for their efforts.

+1

+1

It's hard to complain about a service that is being provided for free, especially one that gives us much desired info on potential recruits. That being said, it's difficult to decipher who SLU is really targeting and/or who we really have a chance at. I've seen dozens of names provided on HTB, but never once was Grandy Glaze's name mentioned. Nor was there any discussion about a potential Greek recruit.

Again, I'm nitpicking, because there has been a lot of information provided. But just not that much of it seem relevant to who we're actually recruiting.

It's hard to complain about a service that is being provided for free, especially one that gives us much desired info on potential recruits. That being said, it's difficult to decipher who SLU is really targeting and/or who we really have a chance at. I've seen dozens of names provided on HTB, but never once was Grandy Glaze's name mentioned. Nor was there any discussion about a potential Greek recruit.

Again, I'm nitpicking, because there has been a lot of information provided. But just not that much of it seem relevant to who we're actually recruiting.

Glaze may have come as a surprise to the coaching staff since he was released from his commitment to UNLV. I don't know how JHB is finding out who we're recruiting, which would seem to be the difficult part, the follow up phone calls not so hard as I think a lot of these kids enjoy the celebrity type treatment.

Glaze may have come as a surprise to the coaching staff since he was released from his commitment to UNLV. I don't know how JHB is finding out who we're recruiting, which would seem to be the difficult part, the follow up phone calls not so hard as I think a lot of these kids enjoy the celebrity type treatment.

I think the key for these guys is to find a source on the team's staff. People like to rag on Nate for providing the service at a cost, but at one point he seemed to have a source on the inside, which is the best way to knowing who we are really interested in, etc. Unfortunately, this is probably unlikely given the staff's tight-lipped approach.

It's just like a pizza place saying they have the best pizza, it's all puffery, and it's legal. That's part of life.

Exactly.

And as of right now, it's actually correct. If someone else wants to give them a run for their money, they're welcome to do so.

Summer Hoop Scoop: An experiment in Modern Recruiting.

The above titled article would be valuable reading to those reading this thread and "like" threads.

Let's take today for example. It's been well publicized...not on this board...but elsewhwere that Nolan Berry was visiting Mizzou again today. It was even publicized by people "Heard This Blog" follows on twitter, well before today.

HTB tweets today a "scoop" that Nolan Berry is visiting Mizzou today. They did not re-tweet this from others nor did they reference anyone who publicized it well before their tweet today. HTB is a public media blog/outlet. Some people would disagree with the approach of not crediting others. This is not a first time, nor isolated incident. Again, no one forced HTB to post here and elsewhere as an aspiring media source and/or outlet.

I think if people would read the SummerHoopScoop article referenced above...it would explain a lot to a lot of people regarding this type of thing.

There's nothing wrong with sitting on the computer all day and regurgitating the info of others...and/or compiling lists and/or info related to SLU.

It's all in the approach. Was it necessary to type "Breaking" in a later follow up tweet that on a repeat visit, Berry was offered a scholarship from Mizzou as expected? It was the look at me look at me approach of overselling a "scoop."

Much of what HTB does is make follow up phone calls to recruits after they get their info from others. Sometimes they credit those other people, and sometimes they don't. They don't actually see players play.

This approach is welcomed just fine for many here, and, it isn't respected as much by some others.

The above titled article would be valuable reading to those reading this thread and "like" threads.

Let's take today for example. It's been well publicized...not on this board...but elsewhwere that Nolan Berry was visiting Mizzou again today. It was even publicized by people "Heard This Blog" follows on twitter, well before today.

HTB tweets today a "scoop" that Nolan Berry is visiting Mizzou today. They did not re-tweet this from others nor did they reference anyone who publicized it well before their tweet today. HTB is a public media blog/outlet. Some people would disagree with the approach of not crediting others. This is not a first time, nor isolated incident. Again, no one forced HTB to post here and elsewhere as an aspiring media source and/or outlet.

I think if people would read the SummerHoopScoop article referenced above...it would explain a lot to a lot of people regarding this type of thing.

There's nothing wrong with sitting on the computer all day and regurgitating the info of others...and/or compiling lists and/or info related to SLU.

It's all in the approach. Was it necessary to type "Breaking" in a later follow up tweet that on a repeat visit, Berry was offered a scholarship from Mizzou as expected? It was the look at me look at me approach of overselling a "scoop."

Much of what HTB does is make follow up phone calls to recruits after they get their info from others. Sometimes they credit those other people, and sometimes they don't. They don't actually see players play.

This approach is welcomed just fine for many here, and, it isn't respected as much by some others.

Very good post.

That article is pretty funny btw.

Or, perhaps they spend a lot of time making personal connections with kids who have yet to play in the St. Louis area, and have worked hard to make personal connections with people in the SLU program and are told things but asked to remain silent. Hmm.... just a thought. Perhaps they've spent the last four years covering the program and are respected by local media types for the hard work and smart reporting they do about the ins and outs of the program. Again, just a thought.

When others take the time to put some interesting and useful information together like HTB then I think they can be critical. Until then - I think it is classless to show this type of negativity especially since they are providing the service for FREE! I hope the few ding dongs on here slamming HTB don't ruin it for the rest of us.

i wonder if the folks at "Rivals" or "Scouts" or "Some Deaf Kid Signed This Blog" get on other websites and cry out for respect and credibility...

my only beef is they want to be big time, then take things so personal.

haters gonna hate...just keep doin what ya doin and people (myself included) will shut up..

I agree about the "breaking news" stories.. 89% of the time someone else gets the info and they add it to their blog.. which im ok with in a way..its free..i pay for the same crap with ESPNinsider...and thats basically all "rumor central" is..

i wonder if the folks at "Rivals" or "Scouts" or "Some Deaf Kid Signed This Blog" get on other websites and cry out for respect and credibility...

my only beef is they want to be big time, then take things so personal.

haters gonna hate...just keep doin what ya doin and people (myself included) will shut up..

I agree about the "breaking news" stories.. 89% of the time someone else gets the info and they add it to their blog.. which im ok with in a way..its free..i pay for the same crap with ESPNinsider...and thats basically all "rumor central" is..

I can see where you are coming from, and that the HTB guys shouldn't take things so personal and to man up if they want to be taken seriously. However, it can be a little much when you read a message board, for whom you are trying to provide information, and shots keep getting fired at you. We just saw Nate decide that it wasn't worth his time to post here anymore and delete his account based on comments on this board. Would you suggest that the HTB writers do the same thing and completely distance themselves from us on the board? I wouldn't, as I think it would be a sad commentary about this board that we can't have anyone contribute useful information unless they are willing to take personal potshots from the 'haters.'

That article courtside posted was just plain stupid.

Old media is dead. New media is here to stay. It doesn't follow all the same rules and for the most part the ethics have not dropped off. Print media has hardly had a perfect run, now with more and more competition from blogs, print media plagiarism and outright lies are on a precipitous rise.

Most likely the author of said article is one of the "mainstream" recruiting writers. Frankly their info, while it takes work and money to accomplish, isn't that hard. They want to maintain a monopoly on information because they simply cannot adapt to new media. If these recruiting amateurs are beating them to stories they are out of jobs. So instead of working harder, getting better sources, they simply denigrate the new media upstarts. Print media has been doing this for a decade now. Printing articles that cast unaffiliated blogs and message boards in a bad light, while alternately promoting their own.

Also twitter doesn't have a referencing function. There are retweets but there are many media members who will post "breaking" stories hours after others have tweeted their own, giving no credit to whomever originally broke the story. Twitter is not that rigid. Asking it be that way takes away a lot of the effectiveness of the medium.

Glaze came out of nowhere. No one knew about him even visiting.

I've asked HTB about the greek recruit. They are still making attempts to confirm who he is. I've done some digging on my own based on the small amount of info Majerus has given and couldn't come up with anything either.

Me thinks it is midsummer when Billiken fans traditionally eat their own. HTB posts more recruiting information on this board than anyone else in the Majerus era. We judge posters on this board by what they post to the board. Easy enough concept. Why again are we ripping HTB?

My only point is that this is a message board. It's often been discussed on this Board that this is a place very similar to a hangout at a bar and that discussions happen here as they would if a group of guys were sitting around discussing sports. However, this discussion is focused around our Billikens.

The title page of the home page of this site says, "For the Fans by the Fans". This site even states its an "Unofficial" site. We are fans talking about Billikens. Fans comes in all shapes and sizes, all with different backgrounds, and all with different opinions. Just like in life, you know the people in your life who are credible and you know the ones who aren't. You know the ones who are resourceful and you know the ones who aren't.

I totally understand the discussion points some are making about credibility, how news is broken, and stating the references for when things are reported. However, this is a Message Board, it's not an "Official" site for the Billikens. The Heard This Blog site is a private, free site by guys interested in the Billikens and the A-10. How they want to sell it is up to them. If you don't like how they're selling it, then don't read it and don't believe it. Start your own site. The name of the site itself is "Heard This" Blog. That would mean to me they "heard" information and are passing it on. And, the guys passing along the information put their name on their site as opposed to remaining anonymous. There are some on here questioning their credibility while remaining anonymous.

That last sentence reminds me of something - To Roy: I think history would show I like you and rarely pick on what you say even when I disagree. But in the number of years you have been posting, you really make it known that you dislike people hiding behind their monikers. In this very thread you say, 99% of the people hide behind their monikers. Really, 99%? Probably more like 5%. Most of the people on here don't hide from anything. There was a thread about putting where you sit in the Chaifetz and many people participated. There have been get togethers and many show up. Most on here when they meet another poster at an event, introduce themselves. Many on here talk about what section they sit in and invite others to come say hello. Just because many don't put their real name in their username or list it in their profile, doesn't mean they're hiding. They're just wise. Why make it easy it for the trolls to know so much about you? If you really want to know who somebody is on this site, I bet you could really find out pretty easily by simply asking them.

In today's day and age and the environment of the internet society, it is utterly foolish to make it simple for the trolls to enact revenge because they simply don't agree with you. Think I'm being paranoid. Nope, just being cautious. If you don't think the trolls out there are targeting those who readily offer up their information, then you're naive. Do some research, you'll see that there are many victims of identity theft and accounts being hacked into by riffs that started on the internet. We live in a crazy world today. No need to live in paranoia, but a little caution never hurt. (And to those who have more public lives and have their identity on the internet - this isn't directed at you).