Martin Bruenig

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The official press release from Maryland said he chose the Terps over SLU, Virginia and South Florida.

His ESPN recruiting page mentioned SLU, Maryland, Virginia, and San Francisco.

Really hoping that we make a run at him.

I think it's finally time for SLU basketball to get lucky.

So I see on Rivals that he just committed to Maryland in February, 2011.

That would mean he just signed in the Spring signing period that started in April.

Seems to me Gary Williams knew that he was retiring when Bruenig signed. Seems to me Maryland should have told Bruenig of Williams' intentions.

Given this Maryland should do the right thing and give the kid his release. Doing anything else does not seem right to me.

Let's hope he ends up with SLU.

Watched all his videos, he's very athletic and runs the floor well. Fingers crossed.

I wrote some time ago that I saw scenes of Bruenig playing and that he looked good. Randy responded with a negative remark. Now many seem to be excited about the possibility of him coming to SLU. He looks very mobile.

I wrote some time ago that I saw scenes of Bruenig playing and that he looked good. Randy responded with a negative remark. Now many seem to be excited about the possibility of him coming to SLU. He looks very mobile.

RANDY!

(If you listen to The Fast Lane, you'll get the joke.)

Reference WVBilliken's comments on Gary Williams .... the final straw that broke Williams' back is the loss of Jordan Williams to the draft.

According to good Terrapin club sources, Williams wanted one more season and believed quite strongly that he had it for the coming year. But that all rode on the back of Jordan Williams. To me, that's a pretty long-odds gamble. But Gary really thought Jordan's foray into the NBA waters was experimental --- to find out what he needed to improve on and use that this year in what WOULD be his final year (barring injury) at UMd. If you look at the Twerps roster, they are now extremely light along the front line with this loss. That took Gary back to ground zero, making this year, as he called it, "another learning year." And in Gary's mind, "learning years," while necessary, mean no Big Dance, which is how they measure success in College Park. And Gary's national title luster of 2002 is long gone. That is ancient history in today's game and memory set (that's why talking about the Bills in the 40's and 50's is ludicrous!).

Both bigger recruits, Nick Faust of Baltimore City and Sterling Gibbs of Seton Hal lPrep (NJ), are in today's Sun annoucning they are re-opening their recruitment. Both have been granted their LOI releases. The article goes on to say "Maryland's third class of 2011 signee, German forward Martin Bruenig, requested to be released .... Wednesday, according to InsideMDSports.com." Article is at:

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/recruiting/2011/05/nick_faust_sterling_gibbs_reopen_recruitments.html

Both "top" recruits say Mayland is still an option and Faust is saying the Twerps are still #1. When asked about possible other schools, Faust, a 6'5" swingman and all-metro Baltimore player said "whoever calls first." Yikes! Gibbs was similarly kind, saying "Maryland is still his top priority, but the more interesting quote was "I signed with Gary Williams." He is reopening his recruitment mentioning Dayton, Louisville, Notre Dame, Providence, Seton Hall and Texas as already calling. Dayton! Yeah, like they belong in that list.

Not a peep on Bruenig other that the pulled quote above.

According to the twitter world this morning, Maryland has yet to release Breunig.

Grrrrrr! I just have a bad feeling about this. Considering they have lost the other two recruits, they may just flat-out refuse to release him.

Grrrrrr! I just have a bad feeling about this. Considering they have lost the other two recruits, they may just flat-out refuse to release him.

I used to get excited about situations like this. Now, I simply do not. When is the last time that a notable transfer or someone released from his LOI picks SLU in the spring time.

I have been following the program since 2003 and I really cannot remember a single instance. Maybe I am forgetting someone of note (Reggie Bryant maybe?), but Stemler, Harrelson, and Cheivous situations occur 100% of the time (that is, not good for SLU). Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. I have gotten my hopes up before, I have been beaten down with this program so much that it is easier to just bury your head in the sand and wait for the season to start...

Threads like this seem to be full of the "newer" fans. Newer = less than 5 years die-hard

One day they will be the grizzled 25 year old fan of SLU basketball and not even open up their heart to the possibility of having a recruiting coup in the spring.

With all that said. GO LAND HIM RICK!

My name is Nick and I am a SLU Billiken Basketball Fan.

I used to get excited about situations like this. Now, I simply do not. When is the last time that a notable transfer or someone released from his LOI picks SLU in the spring time.

I have been following the program since 2003 and I really cannot remember a single instance. Maybe I am forgetting someone of note (Reggie Bryant maybe?), but Stemler, Harrelson, and Cheivous situations occur 100% of the time (that is, not good for SLU). Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. I have gotten my hopes up before, I have been beaten down with this program so much that it is easier to just bury your head in the sand and wait for the season to start...

Threads like this seem to be full of the "newer" fans. Newer = less than 5 years die-hard

One day they will be the grizzled 25 year old fan of SLU basketball and not even open up their heart to the possibility of having a recruiting coup in the spring.

Jake Barnett last year.

Highly unlikely. Even if they didn't there are steps he could take with the NCAA to get out of it. And that would just blow up in their faces.

Yah we were debating Tyler Griffey vs this German guy jackhole.

I understand why SLU fans feel negative on things like this but I think when we remember the misses we seem to be forgetting the "gets." For example, you included two jucos in Harrellson and Stemmler which are not transfers per se but recruits. Within the past 4 years we signed in the Spring the following recruits, the majority of which had BCS offers at the time: Cassity, Cotto, Loe and Ellis and Jett. In addition, Barnett was a transfer. Sure, we've missed on plenty of spring signings and transfers but the hit rate on the guys we target is hardly 0%.

+1 I can give many more examples as well. Chris Carawell, Jahidi White.... Brian, sure we get recruits each year and sure we get some transfers (JB) over the years, but head to head decisions which end with a press conference, I don't ever recall winning one.

+1 I can give many more examples as well. Chris Carawell, Jahidi White.... Brian, sure we get recruits each year and sure we get some transfers (JB) over the years, but head to head decisions which end with a press conference, I don't ever recall winning one.

Cassity chose us over Michigan. I don't recall that ending with a press conference, though.

Has Bruenig announced a press conference? If not, how is our lack of success in those relevant to this situation.

Cassity chose us over Michigan. I don't recall that ending with a press conference, though.

And Loe and Ellis also picked us over BCS programs, but they didn't have press conferences. That's the key... the damn press conferences. As soon as Chievous announced he was having a press conference, I knew we had no shot. I hate press conferences! Just send in your letter and let the school announce it.

Ha ....ha .... ha. In today's over-indulgent, self-created, look-at-me world, you think a kid is going to NOT have a press confernce? Here in America anyway?

He'd get on ESPNews or the scroll at the bottom of the CBS SC channels. Hell, the big guys even have ESPNU running and setting up the row of cameras in front of the big name kids on signing day ala some really important item like bin Ladne's death. Sadly, for some, it ends up being their last minute in the sun but it's still their minute.

If Turgeon/Maryland released both Faust and Gibbs the release of Bruenig should come shortly, provided Bruenig is still pushing it. Faust and Gibbs are supposedly big time talents; Bruenig was just a "nice" spring signing period get. The real focus in College Park is Faust. Question is will Turgeon re-recruit all three? I say yes for the first two .. Bruening I think will go elsewhere.

And I hope it's us.