OT Tyler Griffey Transferring

Billboy1

And don't forget, Alex Tyus is a top 10 player in Florida Basketball history. Can we bring that thread back up?

Yeah, bring up where I said he was top 10. Oh wait, you cant. I never said that. Just that he was 22nd all-time in scoring and where he ranked in other statistical categories and that he had a great career. He is a Gator great.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, bring up where I said he was top 10. Oh wait, you cant. I never said that. Just that he was 22nd all-time in scoring and where he ranked in other statistical categories and that he had a great career. He is a Gator great.

You're right. You only said he was one of the best to ever wear the uniform.

Beal is now a likely top 10 pick in the NBA draft, possibly top 5. BJ Young led Arkansas in scoring as a freshman with 15ppg, and was named 2nd team All-SEC and is a projected 2013 first round pick. McLemore will debut this winter, but Larry Brown recently compared him to Russell Westbrook on NBA Gametime after visiting a Kansas practice. And that unqualified vtime guy left this board in 2009 to join the college coaching ranks and in just 3 years took Harris-Stowe from a laughing stock to a 2nd place finish in the conference and recruited the 2010 Newcomer of the Year and 2012 freshman of the year in their AMC Conference.

I guess Phillip Hunt is just a fugure head that does nothing at Harris-Stowe and Justin is the only person that has done anything at Harris-Stowe. Maybe, somebody should let Hunt know this.

Beal is now a likely top 10 pick in the NBA draft, possibly top 5. BJ Young led Arkansas in scoring as a freshman with 15ppg, and was named 2nd team All-SEC and is a projected 2013 first round pick. McLemore will debut this winter, but Larry Brown recently compared him to Russell Westbrook on NBA Gametime after visiting a Kansas practice. And that unqualified vtime guy left this board in 2009 to join the college coaching ranks and in just 3 years took Harris-Stowe from a laughing stock to a 2nd place finish in the conference and recruited the 2010 Newcomer of the Year and 2012 freshman of the year in their AMC Conference.

The old vtime/insider vs. Taj fued. This is a case of two people taking an extreme position and ultimately both are wrong. Not sure why Taj rips the talent in St. Louis. There have been a lot of outstanding college players in recent years like Perry and Tyus, plus NBA players like Harrelson, Beal and future NBA player Young. Sure, some players have been overhyped busts like Griffey, but you could find plenty of cases of players like that from throughout the country. That is not unique to St. Louis players. But at least Taj will admit when he is wrong like he did with the Jordair Jett mid-range game debate. The same can not be said for vtime/insider. The LAST person(s) who should be serving up crow is vtime/insider. A few months ago, he made a ridiculous statment that SLU could not "hang" with Mizzou and Illinois. I called him on it when he originally delivered that crap and have since pointed it out. He has yet to do the honorable thing and admit he was dead wrong. It should have been obvious how stupid his comment was when the Illini were left out of postseason play. And then right after mighty Mizzou goes up in flames to Norfolk State, we go out and handle the great "athletes" from Memphis. And then a couple of days later, we "hang" with no. 1 seed Michigan State. Still waiting for vtime/insider to take ownership of his ridiculous comment. He has no credibility. Basically, vtime/insider has thrown out the names of seemingly hundreds of St. Louis players over the years. Then when a few hit it big, he does the "I told you so" routine, and boasts about how great his talent evaluation skills are. What he doesn't tell you is that for every Ben McLemore that he has mentioned, there are about two dozen players that he has touted who wind up at low level D1 or non DI programs... worse yet, he has criticized SLU over the years for not recruiting some of these marginal D1 players.

Why would you say that? No one implied that all. Hunt is an excellent coach, in fact he was coach of the year in the conference. He's one of the best young coaches in the country.

He can't "hang" with Brad Stevens or Shaka Smart.

I implied that the guy was qualified to speak on recruiting because he did a great job with it at the college level. It wasn't a slight to anyone,especially the person who saw that talent in him and gave him a chance. That's ridiculous. Spin it however you want.

Wrong. Here's what you said: "And that unqualified vtime guy left this board in 2009 to join the college coaching ranks and in just 3 years took Harris-Stowe from a laughing stock to a 2nd place finish in the conference and recruited the 2010 Newcomer of the Year and 2012 freshman of the year in their AMC Conference."

Basically, vtime/insider has thrown out the names of seemingly hundreds of St. Louis players over the years. Then when a few hit it big, he does the "I told you so" routine, and boasts about how great his talent evaluation skills are. What he doesn't tell you is that for every Ben McLemore that he has mentioned, there are about two dozen players that he has touted who wind up at low level D1 or non DI programs... worse yet, he has criticized SLU over the years for not recruiting some of these marginal D1 players.

This.

It is pretty easy to puff your chest out and pat yourself on the back mentioning players like Beal, Young and McLemore when it was obvious to all that they were going to be immediate impact players. Per the national recruiting sites, Beal was regarded as a top 5 overall player, Young was top 25 overall and McLemore was top 50. They were all considered to be elite level players nationally, which is why they signed with the schools they did. When an under-the-radar kid exceeds expectations at a D-1 program, and vtime/insider has mentioned him, then perhaps he can crow a little about his talent evaluation skills. But pointing out players that are doing exactly what they should be doing, and were recruited by big-name programs to do so, shows absolutely nothing.

All I'm saying is don't be shocked when Nolan Berry and Cameron Beidscheid play well at the college level.

Everybody remember this post. Haters.

Who knows, maybe your brother now has an eye for talent. But give me a break with the Beal, McLemore and Young stuff. If anything, you should touting Anthony James. A mid-major kid that has done pretty well for himself at Northern Iowa.

Not trying to defend the VTime/STLHI but in my limited contact with the old poster, he was a very hard working young kid who probably was unable to get his point across well here. His website was limited, and the time he could spend on it was even less but he did a great job on it. He's been a successful coach in NAIA and I had no doubt that he would be.

VTime was on McClemore before anyone else was. McClemore wasn't on any kind of radar, even among STL area kids and hoopniks before he blew up his JR year. VTime was hyping him years before others were. Similar with Anthony James.

As jbizz pointed out, when you throw enoguh mud up on the wall, some sticks and this was the epitome of vtime. In that scenario, you wil get lucky every now and then much like a blind squirrel stumbles upon an acorn.

As for Ecklecamp's statement about Berry and Beidscheid, this is akin to what's been said before. So-and-so will do this and then do that. Maybe they will but maybe they won't. Only time will tell. Tyler Griffey had the same projections as these made for Berry and Beidscheid. Yesterday, the dunderheads over at ESPN said the power had shifted in the NFC East because the Redskins drafted RGIII and the Cowboys drafted Morris Claiborne. This against the most successful team of the past decade and the defending Super Bowl champs. Sure, there' Cam Newton. There is also Ryan Leaf, Chris Weinke, Heath Schuler, Todd Blackledge, Pacman Jones, and so on.

Yes, it could all come true. Yes it could all fall short. Draftign and talent evaluation and projections are not an exact science.

Not trying to defend the VTime/STLHI but in my limited contact with the old poster, he was a very hard working young kid who probably was unable to get his point across well here. His website was limited, and the time he could spend on it was even less but he did a great job on it. He's been a successful coach in NAIA and I had no doubt that he would be.

VTime was on McClemore before anyone else was. McClemore wasn't on any kind of radar, even among STL area kids and hoopniks before he blew up his JR year. VTime was hyping him years before others were. Similar with Anthony James.

I'm with Torch. The V was a kid who didn't always present himself well. His knowledge probably wasn't always as good as he thought it was, but hell, which of us as a teenager knew as much as we thought we knew. Like many others, I've met him and thought all in all he was a good kid trying to do something good. I'm glad he's been successful and hope it continues for him.

What rankled a lot of people about vtime is that he would throw out a bunch of names of local prospects that he thought SLU should recruit. He would then criticize SLU for not offering many of these guys, but a lot of those players were not even D1 players. How could you expect SLU to offer a bunch of D2/NAIA players and expect the team to do well? Sodie tried that for a couple of years and it didn't work. ;) I think vtime got better during his time on the board and would provide some good insights on occasion. Towards the end I thought he had become a pretty valuable contributor. He clearly has a passion for hoops and glad to see he is working in the game. He just seemed like a young kid with a lot of misguided opinions, but he was willing to evolve. His brother on the other hand is a real jack a$$ and no fan of SLU at all based on some of his ridiculous posts.