Morality

Floridafan

I feel bad for all of the students involved in the dorm incident. I know most on this board lament the punishment handed out to the players and the impact that is having on the team. Rather than expulsions, I would have been much happier with confession to a priest and a commitment to change thier lives.

More important than the student’s academic and sport careers, I am concerned about their immortal souls. God's punishment for this type of conduct is very harsh for the unrepentant and just because such conduct is common place, does not make it right. I hope the young women and men involved in this incident get their lives back on a track that leads to salvation and conduct that they can be proud of.

The casual sex, "no harm no foul" attitude doesn't work, someone always gets harmed and it really blew up a lot of lives in this particular episode.

I pray they come to a more spiritual understanding of their actions and seek forgiveness for their selfish conduct. I loved watching these players score points in games and deliver Billiken wins, but more than that, when all is said and done, I really want to see them in heaven.

"That which is not eternal, is eternally useless." CS Lewis

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

More important than the students academic and sport careers, I am concerned about their immortal souls. God's punishment for this type of conduct is very harsh for the unrepentant and just because such conduct is common place, does not make it right.

So you've talked to God about this?

Can you see if he can get us to the Final Four?

I feel bad for all of the students involved in the dorm incident. I know most on this board lament the punishment handed out to the players and the impact that is having on the team. Rather than expulsions, I would have been much happier with confession to a priest and a commitment to change thier lives.

More important than the student’s academic and sport careers, I am concerned about their immortal souls. God's punishment for this type of conduct is very harsh for the unrepentant and just because such conduct is common place, does not make it right. I hope the young women and men involved in this incident get their lives back on a track that leads to salvation and conduct that they can be proud of.

The casual sex, "no harm no foul" attitude doesn't work, someone always gets harmed and it really blew up a lot of lives in this particular episode.

I pray they come to a more spiritual understanding of their actions and seek forgiveness for their selfish conduct. I loved watching these players score points in games and deliver Billiken wins, but more than that, when all is said and done, I really want to see them in heaven.

Aw jeez.

The last thing we need is this on the board.

Is that you, Father Mitchum?

Feel better?

Good we now have a full spectrum of opinions

Can we show some common sense and stop

All of these useless threads based on speculation.

It is not by chance that when he thinks of the leaders

Of what is left of this team RM thinks of academic athletes

In Conklin, Cassity, and Eckerle- they are

Playing their hearts out instead of being off

The team

Posted Image

I am not a priest or a Gator fan. I have been a big Billiken Basketball fan since Rich Grawer started coaching the team. I thought Craig Upchurch was not fairly treated and I don't think these players have been fairly treated. Given the police reports, I think they should still be in school, possibly faced game suspensions and possibly probation, but not expulsion.

My comments about faith are in keeping with those of the SLU mission statement.

The Mission of Saint Louis University is the pursuit of truth for the greater glory of God and for the service of humanity.... As a Catholic, Jesuit University, this pursuit is motivated by the inspiration and values of the Judeo-Christian tradition and is guided by the spiritual and intellectual ideals of the Society of Jesus.

The truth is the conduct was morally reprehensible. If this young lady and or young men had stronger moral compasses, none of this would have happened and we would be dreaming of a trip to the Big Dance.

Some times you need to sacrifice some morality if you want a good athletic program. See every Division I school other than SLU.

I don't know. I disagree agree you need to sell your morality to the highest talent to win. Paul Brown (I initially said Jim) was amazingly successful with the Cleveland Browns and didn't tolerate immoral players. I acknowledge that is easier for professional sports teams, because people tend to mature as they age.

Why is the Jim Brown example irrelevant today? Because people would rather trade morality for the most talented sports players out there, and kids eventually internalize that they will not be held responsible for their actions or will be given greater latitude than say you or I. Those kids act that way through high school, college, and get to the pros, and the whole nature of sports has been changed.

Then again, if Majerus showing his junk in the SI example is in fact true, SLU has already made its decision -- it chose winning over the school's principles (which have long been gone in my opinion). Funny thing is, the "winning" hasn't really come to SLU. What, we made the NIT when I was a freshman? Some great trade!

I'd rather have SLU be mediocre than be like USC if it meant having to endure the conduct of players like theirs.

Any debate on anything subjective is a battle that can't be won. What's "great" to one is not to another. I'll agree to disagree, save keystrokes, and move on.

May 10, 1979 .... the sex was wild and carefree and to this day, that woman remains a goddess in my mind's eye!