Kowal is released by Northern Illinois

ACE

SLU seems like the perfect fit:

1 He's from St. Louis

2 He wants to coach for DeSmet

3 If he is going to want playtime, he is going to get more at SLU than at Marquette or Xavier

............ if SLU is short somewhere it's tall guys with big bodies with experience. WR is a great center, but Larry Saunders and really strong centers are too much too handle for his build. Maybe it would let WR play some time at the 4, which is the position NBA teams will be looking at him for.

4 SLU has a great Master's of Divinity program

5 He can say he played against DUKE!

This is money in the BANK! (let's just hope the hypothetical "bank" isn't as "guaranteed" as the bank of the ATM service that got robbed yesterday... Biggest US cash heist since 1997 just a few blocks NW of campus)

First suspect was caught right off the corner of SLU's campus if you haven't heard. $11 million. ;)

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is absolutely a no-brainer. You pick up Kowal for the depth he brings the team. Don't be like Uncle Brad and worry about hurting a player's feelings because they will actually have to compete more for playing time. My guess the players will see him as a welcome addition.

I'm kind of surprised he didn't blurt it out yesterday... I'm going to SLU! Anyone know if RM even wants this guy?

There hasn't been anything but that's not surprising. I don't see why Majerus wouldn't want him. He's by all accounts a strong rebounding center that (with no disrespect to CR, BC, or our other bigs) could really push Wille. Haven't heard anything negative about him off the court, sounds like a good kid.

Maybe Mr. Kowal will give Bills fans a weekend gift tomorrow.

Seems Sean wants to be a Billiken and Rick is interested.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/06/sports/b...grath.html?_r=1

Thanks for posting. Sounds like everything is in place. Let's start the sesaon.

I expect will see a release from SLU soon.

Things did not go nearly so smoothly for Kowal. With his degree in hand, he had hoped to begin a master’s program in theology at Saint Louis University and play his final season for the Billikens on an athletic scholarship: the tuition at Saint Louis is more than $30,000 a year.

How does the Chicago News Cooperative get the news before billikens.com!

we are slacking...more depth on the frontline....YES!

Things did not go nearly so smoothly for Kowal. With his degree in hand, he had hoped to begin a master’s program in theology at Saint Louis University and play his final season for the Billikens on an athletic scholarship: the tuition at Saint Louis is more than $30,000 a year.

Metz told me about this story before it was posted on here.....Lets Metz back!!! We'll get news faster.

This is a great to hear. Adding a 6-11 center certainly could not hurt. I guess he will take the spot we had originally envisioned Brett Thompson filling this coming season.

This is a great to hear. Adding a 6-11 center certainly could not hurt. I guess he will take the spot we had originally envisioned Brett Thompson filling this coming season.

Blasphemer. No one can replace BT.

sorry if I missed this somewhere:

but can someone explain why Kowal would NOT have to sit a year?

ps -- I seriously doubt, given his growth both physically and as a dominant defensive and rebounding presence, that CR would agree to sit a year as red shirt (though he may be forced, of course)

thanks, -DrB

ps -- I seriously doubt, given his growth both physically and as a dominant defensive and rebounding presence, that CR would agree to sit a year as red shirt (though he may be forced, of course)

thanks, -DrB

He finished his undergrad at NIU but still has a year of eligibility. He wants to pursue an advanced degree that NIU does not offer, so pending his release from NIU (which just happened recently) he can apply for a waiver from the NCAA to transfer to another school that does offer his advanced degree program and not have to sit out a year (which would waste his remaining year of eligibility).

thanks, -DrB

Did you read the NY Times article (or the ESPN ones that discussed this)?

There is a little known NCAA rule that says you can transfer, without sitting out a year, if you graduate and your current school does not offer a post-graduate degree in your desired major.

Hearing from several people this is pretty close to happening. Not sure if they will get it done in time for an official release this afternoon, but hopefully we'll hear something today or early next week.