Looks like Duke!

This is a Saturday game. Did you mean they would be preparing for the game during finals? Or do finals run into the next week?

Yes. Finals run from the Wednesday before the game to the Tuesday after. So it's literally in the middle of finals week.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We effectively shut Curry down two years ago (albeit, it was 2 years ago when he was a freshman on a not-so-good team) but he led the nation in freshman scoring that year.

I would guess we'll rotate several players on him. KC will get some time on him, as will CE assuming his defense has improved from last season. Depending his D, I could see putting DE on him too. Singler is not overly athletic, but he is very talented.

Ellis on Curry? No way that happens.

Honestly, I not sure why everybody is so excited. We just signed a deal to be a buy game and probably get our brains beat in on national TV. When we went down there the last time we at least got a game with them here. Unless we beat them our RPI is not going to get a big bump - our SOS will - so I guess there is something positive there. I hope this not what PDiddy was talking about - I was hoping for a two game contract with a home and home.

My brain agrees with you but my heart is pumped about the opportunity.

MB is already predicting a 30 point Duke win.

I don't like the fact it is a buy game, but the fact that is on nationally on CBS lessens the blow a bit.

Wrong again; you should write a book. :lol:

This is an awesome opportunity, good job by RM to get this!

I absolutely hope for a SLU win, though we will be a big underdog against the defending national champs, ACC home team, etc.

Hopefully, Duke will be coming off an early season winning streak, maybe relax against us and we play well.

(I might go, sent an e-mail to a friend already... 7th row, right off of mid court)

This game is only 3 days after my beloved Bradley Braves go into Cameron in a similar situation. Buy game, ESPN game, etc. So apparently Duke has a pretty good non-conference schedule it is putting together.

Hopefully both come out with a win. I may just go for the weekend.

And why can't we get a home-home with Bradley?

As far as tickets go, this is over Christmas break for students. I also saw on a BU-Duke thread that the place to look for tickets is on http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums...display.php?f=5

And it looks like Lambert has a Southwest flight nonstop to Raleigh Durham for around 250-300. Good stuff.

Honestly, I not sure why everybody is so excited. We just signed a deal to be a buy game and probably get our brains beat in on national TV. When we went down there the last time we at least got a game with them here. Unless we beat them our RPI is not going to get a big bump - our SOS will - so I guess there is something positive there. I hope this not what PDiddy was talking about - I was hoping for a two game contract with a home and home.

I'm not a big fan of this being a buy team for anybody. If you don't win it (and the odds of that are pretty long), you can get yourself labeled as a "buy" team. On the plus side, players and recruits want to go up against the best. This is attractive in that regard.

I can't see why anyone wouldn't be happy with this. We want to play top teams and RM has stated he'll play anyone. It seems we have been trying to get home and home game scheduled and haven't had a lot of success. Hell we get to play one of the top teams in the country and we get paid also. It will be a good guage for the guys going into the conference season. Games do still have to be played, winners aren't just annointed by who looks better on paper, so lets have a jump ball in Cameron and give it a go.

I'm not a big fan of this being a buy team for anybody. If you don't win it (and the odds of that are pretty long), you can get yourself labeled as a "buy" team. On the plus side, players and recruits want to go up against the best. This is attractive in that regard.

I think all of you who are referring to this as a "buy" game for Duke are greatly underestimating the expected quality of our team this year. Even for Duke, I don't think you will find them calling us a buy game. Just because it's one game only doesn't make it a buy game as for as I'm concerned. A "buy" game is against a small conference, 150+ RPI team, NOT a game against a team many believe will contend for the A-10 title and gain a spot in the "Dance."

If being paid to make a trip to another teams home for a "one-game only" game, then that makes UNC a buy game for us a few years ago when they came to SLU and us a "buy" game this year when we travel to Portland.

We should all be looking at this years team as being much better than what is traditionally considered a "buy" game. Look at the game as a challenge for Duke, not an auto. win!

I can't see why anyone wouldn't be happy with this. We want to play top teams and RM has stated he'll play anyone. It seems we have been trying to get home and home game scheduled and haven't had a lot of success. Hell we get to play one of the top teams in the country and we get paid also. It will be a good guage for the guys going into the conference season. Games do still have to be played, winners aren't just annointed by who looks better on paper, so lets have a jump ball in Cameron and give it a go.

I heard the news on the radio on my way home from the dentist. I am so excited for this game, now I just need to find a way to get some tickets.

I think all of you who are referring to this as a "buy" game for Duke are greatly underestimating the expected quality of our team this year. Even for Duke, I don't think you will find them calling us a buy game. Just because it's one game only doesn't make it a buy game as for as I'm concerned. A "buy" game is against a small conference, 150+ RPI team, NOT a game against a team many believe will contend for the A-10 title and gain a spot in the "Dance."

If being paid to make a trip to another teams home for a "one-game only" game, then that makes UNC a buy game for us a few years ago when they came to SLU and us a "buy" game this year when we travel to Portland.

We should all be looking at this years team as being much better than what is traditionally considered a "buy" game. Look at the game as a challenge for Duke, not an auto. win!

Check your facts. We played at UNC the year before they came to St. Louis. It was a home and home matchup.

I'm less excited because we could play a number of one-off road games against good teams each year if we wanted. I'm hopeful RM doesn't make a habit of this. I want to see quality games on the home schedule as well.

Check your facts. We played at UNC the year before they came to St. Louis. It was a home and home matchup.

I'm less excited because we could play a number of one-off road games against good teams each year if we wanted. I'm hopeful RM doesn't make a habit of this. I want to see quality games on the home schedule as well.

That was because of Psycho T, not because UNC was interested in SLU.

This game is only 3 days after my beloved Bradley Braves go into Cameron in a similar situation. Buy game, ESPN game, etc. So apparently Duke has a pretty good non-conference schedule it is putting together.

Hopefully both come out with a win. I may just go for the weekend.

And why can't we get a home-home with Bradley?

As far as tickets go, this is over Christmas break for students. I also saw on a BU-Duke thread that the place to look for tickets is on http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums...display.php?f=5

And it looks like Lambert has a Southwest flight nonstop to Raleigh Durham for around 250-300. Good stuff.

I looked at the Duke academic calendar, and this isn't quite over Christmas break. The last day of undergrad classes is Friday the 10th, with the 'Reading Period' from the 11th-13th and finals from the 14th to the 19th. I would imagine most students will still be around, but at a nerd school like Duke, I have to imagine stress levels will be high and demand for tickets will be a little lower- for students, anyway. Plus, we're a non-conference, non-rival, non-marquee game for them (though a nice non-con opponent).

I looked at the Duke academic calendar, and this isn't quite over Christmas break. The last day of undergrad classes is Friday the 10th, with the 'Reading Period' from the 11th-13th and finals from the 14th to the 19th. I would imagine most students will still be around, but at a nerd school like Duke, I have to imagine stress levels will be high and demand for tickets will be a little lower- for students, anyway. Plus, we're a non-conference, non-rival, non-marquee game for them (though a nice non-con opponent).

I don't know about that. The students always turn out... Hell, even during break last year they had alumni come and fill the stands that the students usually fill.

It is a buy game. There are some plusses on our side, but it is still labeled as a buy game.

I just checked over at one of the Duke boards, and aside from the guy who actually posted the topic, we are getting some serious credit. You can read it if you like (you have to create an account if you don't already have one), but basically the gist is: "(Duke) should win by 10+, but SLU is a scrappy, well coached team that will hang in there much of the game and give us a good run."

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=167&f=1386&t=6123766

Let's go Bills!

-Rob

People are entitled to their own definitions, but this is a buy game (i.e. a game where no return game is scheduled). Cash may or may not be paid for it to be considered a buy game.

The Carolina series was clearly a "home and home" as we went there one year and they came here the next.

A lot of smaller schools play 2 for 1s where they visit twice but get one return game back. It obviously would have been better if this was a 2 for 1 instead of a simple buy game.

Lastly, I don't think this will start a trend for us. I honestly expect that we will go to the dance next year and after that it will be easier for us to schedule home and homes with decent teams because t.v. will be more interested in us. T.v. is really the only thing that can convince most BCS caliber teams to play home and homes these days.

Gee, I am sure that is what the Delta State coach is saying right now too his fans and team also. RM said he would play any team but he was not probably expecting to be fodder only for the other team. Look, nobody would be happier if we went down there and won but the odds are against us beating the #1 team in the nation at their place. Come dance time, nobody on the selection committee is going to remember that we lost to Duke away by 15 only that we lost to Duke. I think we will have a good team next year and I am excited about the season but I would rather have a road win over a decent D1 team then a meaningless loss to Duke. Some of you can be Polyanna but sound thinking people know that this is not a great deal for us. Yes we are on national TV, yes our SOS will get a bump, but our RPI will not benefit and we will not gain any lasting benefit from it. I will watch and root for the Bills as hard as anyone and scream at my TV and the refs who will robbing us but I am sorry, a betting man does not see how this is that big of help for us. Our home schedule is unchanged which many have complained is too weak and our won lost record will reflect a loss.

UNC was a home and home so it was not a buy game in any sense. A buy game is when a team buys you to come play them at their place with no respect shown to come play you at your place. Your thinking would be that a thief can only be called a thief if he has done it many times before he gets caught but if you do it once and get caught then you are not thief just schmuck for getting caught. Either way you both go to jail. By the way if what has been reported about the Portland game is true then that is also a home and home not a buy game - do you know otherwise? Finally, in a home and home neither team gets paid other than what they collected from gate receipts.