depressed about the attendance

slu101

In the best case, to paraphrase another post, this "tournament" is "an investment in the program."

A more realistic description would be "sucker bet." The house (CBI) always wins, because they get the patsies (hosting schools) to cover the house's cost plus a markup.

I'm glad the guys got to play and have the ability to end the season on a winning note. But I certainly don't blame anyone for the attendance last night. Even the vaunted Tarheels, with all their "tradition," were at or below the same percentage of capacity that we were -- and they were playing in a tournament that means less of nothing than the one we are.

(Also: GA was the only feasible approach on two days' notice for a game half the season ticket holders didn't want to attend. I still contend that the U should lower all tix to $10 for next week and open up the center section to all comers by Friday or Saturday.)

-unc played at carmichael, not the dean dome, i think capacity is about 9 or 10k but not sure, that was a long time ago...

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 days. enough said.

2 days should be plenty of time considering there was a chance we might get a home NIT game. Besides, when you are in college do you really have a schedule?

2 days. enough said.

i only had 2 days as well and had to take lunch to drive 30 miles to pickup and pay for my tickets and i was there.

slu students had to roll out of bed slip on bedroom slippers and walk a block to pickup free tickets.

sorry runnin' i know you are just protecting your classmates but no dice.

I didnt decide to go until the last minute.

If my cable carried HDNET I would of stayed home and watch it.

It is basically a Preseason game. Its hard to get up for a game that doesnt matter and that you really dont belong in anyway.

This is the first and hopefully last year I ever tune in to the CBI

I don't get the rationale that the game doesn't matter. It most certainly does matter. It's a postseason, single-elimination game. It's a chance to win a championship (of a sort). If you can have your name on the trophy, you want it. Should North Carolina forfeit its NIT game because they're accustomed to NCAA Final Fours?

I didnt decide to go until the last minute.

If my cable carried HDNET I would of stayed home and watch it.

It is basically a Preseason game. Its hard to get up for a game that doesnt matter and that you really dont belong in anyway.

This is the first and hopefully last year I ever tune in to the CBI

I agree that hopefully it is the last year for SLU is involved in the CBI. I am hoping for NCAA or at least NIT in the upcoming years but if that doesn't happen, I'll gladly buy tickets the the CBI again and go to the games to support the team. It's nothing like a preseason game. This is a tournament and anytime a team is involved in a tournament they are in it to win it. If you are a fan of SLU basketball, you should be excited that they have an opportunity to possibly extend the season into April with another six games. I personally couldn't wait to get down to the arena and support the team.

i only had 2 days as well and had to take lunch to drive 30 miles to pickup and pay for my tickets and i was there.

slu students had to roll out of bed slip on bedroom slippers and walk a block to pickup free tickets.

sorry runnin' i know you are just protecting your classmates but no dice.

The free tickets were for only the first 150 students, and when I got there a few minutes before tip they were already gone. All of my friends had to pay, too. So when you buy season tickets and don't have to worry about paying at tthe game and then shift to $10 per ticket with the chance of several more games, that adds up quickly.

The free tickets were for only the first 150 students, and when I got there a few minutes before tip they were already gone. All of my friends had to pay, too. So when you buy season tickets and don't have to worry about paying at tthe game and then shift to $10 per ticket with the chance of several more games, that adds up quickly.

well that's even more disgusting if there were 60 students tickets claimed that didnt get used. you were cheated by a fellow student.

The problem is not the students WANT to go. They WANT to go. They just don't have the money to watch the Bills beat up on ISU. I will bet that we get close to a full student section for the Championship series, if Royal Bank comes through. We also do have to remebers that we had ONE DAY to recruit students to come. Alot of students throught the season was over, and were shocked when they saw the GameDay sign on the front windows of Gries.

TVACH13.

Sorry, but you get my vote for the dumbest post of the year. The first 150 tickets were apparently free, all tickets were apparently taken but only 91 were "counted." Something's not right.

Aside from the free tickets, now the latest excuse for lack of good student attendance is a lack of finances!! :lol: $10 feakin dollars for a game?? I'd suggest that every kid on campus had $10 in his/her pocket last night. Whether or not they WANTED to spend it on a Biliken game or not is the question. No doubt many preferred spending their $10 on beer, at a local coffee house.... Do I blame them for WANTING to spend their $10 on something other than the Bills?? No, but I'm not going to accept it as an excuse either. How is that any different the rest us in the real world? In fact, I'd venture to say that the average college student has more discretionary income than the average working stiff like me. Yes, I earn a living each day, but after payment of the children tuitions, mortgage, health insurance, groceries and the like, I'd suggest that the average college kid has more discretionary funds for new shoes, clothes, concerts, music and entertainment. Maybe you didn't have $10 in your pocket. At the same time, most kids do.

And BTW, the rest of us working stiffs got the same short notice you students did. :)

-unc played at carmichael, not the dean dome, i think capacity is about 9 or 10k but not sure, that was a long time ago...

UNC did play at Carmichael Arena once known as Carmichael Auditorium. Dean Dome had previously scheduled renovations going on. Carmichael originally sat about 8200 unitl they removed the permanent seats, and went to bench seating sometime in the mid 70s. This increased capacity to about 9200. With the renovations there(and it was a junkpile with terrible acoustics,) and return of individual seating, it holds 6228 now. Therefore, the "Tarholes"(as us Carolina haters like to call them) had a sellout last night.

BTW, the favorite saying among us Carolina haters here in the great state of NC is "Are you sure that's tar on those heels."

Maybe not. I think they all sat in the regular seats.

That is a possible explanation. I had several students sitting around me. It thought it odd that they were not in the student section, but it was their right to sit where they wanted to. Hopefully they will stick together next game. They can make more of a difference that way, rather than being scattered around.

That is a possible explanation. I had several students sitting around me. It thought it odd that they were not in the student section, but it was their right to sit where they wanted to. Hopefully they will stick together next game. They can make more of a difference that way, rather than being scattered around.

I have little faith in that happening. It's very frustrating!

I don't get the rationale that the game doesn't matter. It most certainly does matter. It's a postseason, single-elimination game. It's a chance to win a championship (of a sort). If you can have your name on the trophy, you want it. Should North Carolina forfeit its NIT game because they're accustomed to NCAA Final Fours?

I didn't ask anybody to forfeit anything.

However, in a perfect world, NC wouldn't be playing in the NIT. (And not because they screwed us out of a spot.) The NIT is an also-ran, meaningless title nowadays -- and, like the CBI, it's a money grab from the participating schools. The money is simply lining two different pockets.

There's a reason the NCAA doesn't hold third-place games anymore.

I didn't ask anybody to forfeit anything.

However, in a perfect world, NC wouldn't be playing in the NIT. (And not because they screwed us out of a spot.) The NIT is an also-ran, meaningless title nowadays -- and, like the CBI, it's a money grab from the participating schools. The money is simply lining two different pockets.

There's a reason the NCAA doesn't hold third-place games anymore.

So what, you have to be in it to win it. I always liked what Dave Odom said while Wake was in the 2000 NIT which they went on to win. He said: "It's not the national championship but it's "a" national championship."

For us Wake fans(I love SLU too) that was a fun ride. Good attendance at all three home games and then a trip to the Garden. Enjoy your team playing, improving and winning.

Yea, I was wondering where the fraternities were at. Another 3rd floor Fusz party makes sense.

we actually had about 20 or more guys there with more coming after night class at half time...nice try though...and 05' is right a ton of students that came sat in the "general admission" seats away from the student section making the student section look weaker than it should have. next week should be much more packed with the notice, as well as it being a monday. no college kid ever has sh** to do on a monday.

So what, you have to be in it to win it. I always liked what Dave Odom said while Wake was in the 2000 NIT which they went on to win. He said: "It's not the national championship but it's "a" national championship."

For us Wake fans(I love SLU too) that was a fun ride. Good attendance at all three home games and then a trip to the Garden. Enjoy your team playing, improving and winning.

As others have said, I enjoy watching the Bills play. If the CBI is the only way to play, them I'm all for it. Whether it's a money grab or not let's just keep on playing. The players looked like they had fun and so did I.

As others have said, I enjoy watching the Bills play. If the CBI is the only way to play, them I'm all for it. Whether it's a money grab or not let's just keep on playing. The players looked like they had fun and so did I.

And so did I. But how much should the U. have to shell out to pay for this third-level "national championship"? Let's say we made (and I seriously doubt this) 30 grand on the event proper last night, i.e. before the guarantee. Five games like that and this little exercise costs the U. $150,000. When does that number become too high?

And so did I. But how much should the U. have to shell out to pay for this third-level "national championship"? Let's say we made (and I seriously doubt this) 30 grand on the event proper last night, i.e. before the guarantee. Five games like that and this little exercise costs the U. $150,000. When does that number become too high?

joe i rarely disagree with your thoughts, but in this case i ask what is the difference between spending this money and spending twice that per games on buy games in november and december?

this is a bargain imo compared to those guaranteed dog games. hell we just beat larry bird's team. :lol:

Que?

joe i rarely disagree with your thoughts, but in this case i ask what is the difference between spending this money and spending twice that per games on buy games in november and december?

this is a bargain imo compared to those guaranteed dog games. hell we just beat larry bird's team. :lol:

The difference is that the buy games were already in the overall budget. The basketball program played its regular games and lost $x for the season. Now it's playing the additional games and potentially (and hypothetically, since the number could be bigger or smaller) is going to lose $(x + 150000). At what point does that additional number become high enough that this can be deemed financially irrational?

The difference is that the buy games were already in the overall budget. The basketball program played its regular games and lost $x for the season. Now it's playing the additional games and potentially (and hypothetically, since the number could be bigger or smaller) is going to lose $(x + 150000). At what point does that additional number become high enough that this can be deemed financially irrational?

well joe we have just been informed today that the overall budget is ahead of the game by utlizing commercial flights instead of the already budget included charter flights. ;) see. it all works out.

If I were a student who paid for season tickets, and ended up buying a $10 ticket to last night's game I probably would not have sat in the student section either....especially if when I walked in there were 50 kids sitting there. I woulda marched my ass right down to the cushy blue front row seats.