depressed about the attendance

slu101

The late notice caused the low attendance. This was an unplanned game and everything was decided last second and it is not a big draw to get enough fans out. The next game will probably draw more.

The CBI was late notice, but didn't just about all SLU fans expect an NIT Bid? The NIT started last night, so had we made the NIT we would have been playing regardless, correct? The only thing that changed was the name of the tournament.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No big deal on the attendance. Not a lot of excitment on this thing.

Glad we are in it the CBI to "work on things", and I hope the kids win the tournament, but the CBI is certainly an

after-the-afterthought tournament. The bar is closing, it is 12:30, not much left (it is certainly not an exciting field).

Our crowd was about what you could expect after the NIT snubb, maybe even better than I thought.

Nobody knew WTF was going on with the tickets!

I wonder how many SLU fans other than Broy would have driven to Indiana State?

It just shows how apathetic the student body is. This "one day to know about the game" excuse is lame. If the students followed the team at all, they would have known the dealio sunday night. Also, how hard is it for people to find out about the game on Monday? I doubt many students had prohibitive plans on Tuesday night.

I'm not blaming you '05, you and your buddies are definitely not the problem. The rest of the student body is pathetic when it comes to the basketball team. If it makes you feel any better, we weren't much better when I was at SLU.

You better watch it, Moy

Billikan will come get you <_<

FYI, Reported Attendance for Last Nights Games From Box Scores:

CBI - SLU vs ISU - 3,542

CBI - VCU at GW - 793

NCAA Play In at Dayton - 8,205

NIT - Northeastern at UConn - 5,571

NIT - Coastal Carolina at UAB - 3,081

NIT - NC State at South Florida - 3,502

NIT - Texas Tech at Seton Hall - 1,829

NIT - William & Mary at UNC - 6,822

NIT - Jackson St at Miss St - 4,433

NIT - Jacksonville St at Arizona St - 2,968

CIT - W. Carolina at Marshall - 5.003

CIT - Fairfield at George Mason - 2,062

CIT - South Dakota at Creighton - 4,348

It just shows how apathetic the student body is. This "one day to know about the game" excuse is lame. If the students followed the team at all, they would have known the dealio sunday night. Also, how hard is it for people to find out about the game on Monday? I doubt many students had prohibitive plans on Tuesday night.

I'm not blaming you '05, you and your buddies are definitely not the problem. The rest of the student body is pathetic when it comes to the basketball team. If it makes you feel any better, we weren't much better when I was at SLU.

o5 i want to echo what moytoy said. those of you there last night were marvelous. the energy that you and runnin' and the rest of your regs show is awesome.

as hard as it is to believe, i was you in 1978-1982 and i had about 5 kids sitting next to me in the endzone student section. so i feel your pain.

it is a battle with the slu student body that has been ongoing for years. it is only proof that the world is nothing but fair weather fans. kudos for you for not giving up.

o5 i want to echo what moytoy said. those of you there last night were marvelous. the energy that you and runnin' and the rest of your regs show is awesome.

as hard as it is to believe, i was you in 1978-1982 and i had about 5 kids sitting next to me in the endzone student section. so i feel your pain.

it is a battle with the slu student body that has been ongoing for years. it is only proof that the world is nothing but fair weather fans. kudos for you for not giving up.

05, you better watch out. In 30 years you are going to be Billiken Roy!

I suspect many of the elder posters on this board have been in similar situations. When I went from 95-99, they started up the original Blue Crew. The first few games had 200+ student there. After it became obvious we were an NIT team my freshman year and below .500 my sophomore year, the blue crew literally was comprised of my roomate and two other buddies. At least we got to sit in the front row. Shockingly, it returned in full force during the Legend's year.

I know Sshoe always battled his fraternity "brothers" who made fun of him for going to all the games.

Although some are disappointed with the crowd numbers last night, and I think we all would have liked to see more seats filled, given that we are playing in a relatively unknown tournament, against a middle of the pack MVC team, on less than 48 hours notice, and with most people hacked about the NIT snub, I have to say it was about what I would have expected.

Whether it met the CBI organizer's expectations is another story, but for comparison the other CBI game played last night and hosted by GW drew 793 and Creighton had 4348 for their CIT game with South Dakota.

In any event I had a great time last night watching our team play and look forward to the game next Monday which should provide us a bigger challenge. Hopefully the university will be able to market and hype the game so that we pull in more than the diehards!!

See you all Monday.

At the risk of YET ANOTHER MVC thread, do people really expect a huge turnout from a visiting team on a Tuesday night in a meaningless tournament? We couldn't get more than 3,500 to drive less than 10 miles to the game. We couldn't get more than 90 students to walk accross campus.

SIU and MSU proved they could bring pretty large crowds earlier this year. Dayton is the only team that brought comparable numbers this year.

I too want to avoid another Valley thread, but it was mentioned at least a couple times on Monday when the game was announced that they travel well. I was just commenting on that. Yes a Tuesday game --especially with the late start is a bit tough--like we both said we couldn't get more than 90 students who life a few hundred yards away to come to the game.

I know Sshoe always battled his fraternity "brothers" who made fun of him for going to all the games.

I still recall some of them decked out in Mizzou gear when we played Mizzou here. Or cheering for UC when the Bearcats came to town.

It's an uphill battle.

-i thought the people that were at the game did a good job of cheering, better than most games, i wonder what was causing this?

-we already know we play monday, i will guess the game time is either 7, 7.30 or 8, why not start some promotion of that now saying 'hey, we are in round 2 of the cbi monday night, tickets again will be $10, general admission for all but 4 sections, 8000 great seats available (or whatever number), plan to have your butt in one of those seats to watch the Billkens, you can buy your tix at the Chaifetz ticket office which is open 9-6 thru Friday and will have hours 9-2 on saturday and noon-3 on sunday (or whenever)'?

-or charge $11 and use the extra $1 to pay for 350 student tickets, or hopefully 700 student tickets

I too want to avoid another Valley thread, but it was mentioned at least a couple times on Monday when the game was announced that they travel well. I was just commenting on that. Yes a Tuesday game --especially with the late start is a bit tough--like we both said we couldn't get more than 90 students who life a few hundred yards away to come to the game.

The problem is not the students WANT to go. They WANT to go. They just don't have the money to watch the Bills beat up on ISU. I will bet that we get close to a full student section for the Championship series, if Royal Bank comes through. We also do have to remebers that we had ONE DAY to recruit students to come. Alot of students throught the season was over, and were shocked when they saw the GameDay sign on the front windows of Gries.

-i thought the people that were at the game did a good job of cheering, better than most games, i wonder what was causing this?

-we already know we play monday, i will guess the game time is either 7, 7.30 or 8, why not start some promotion of that now saying 'hey, we are in round 2 of the cbi monday night, tickets again will be $10, general admission for all but 4 sections, 8000 great seats available (or whatever number), plan to have your butt in one of those seats to watch the Billkens, you can buy your tix at the Chaifetz ticket office which is open 9-6 thru Friday and will have hours 9-2 on saturday and noon-3 on sunday (or whenever)'?

-or charge $11 and use the extra $1 to pay for 350 student tickets, or hopefully 700 student tickets

Brought up an idea where you sponsor a student season ticket holder for the postseason. When you buy your ticket if you want you can give ten dollars more and that goes towards a student season ticket holder so they can go fo' FREE!

Seems like a long time ago, when there was a sellout @ Kiel for Larry vs. Ryan Robertson and Kansas, isn't it?

No comparison, I know, but 3,500 is a long way from 22,000. Maybe, Spoon wasn't so bad after all? Just wondering.

I think the tickets go up to $15 for the next round.

Seems like a long time ago, when there was a sellout @ Kiel for Larry vs. Ryan Robertson and Kansas, isn't it?

No comparison, I know, but 3,500 is a long way from 22,000. Maybe, Spoon wasn't so bad after all? Just wondering.

Maybe I "misremember" like Roger Clemens but I thought that game was at the TWA dome.

In the best case, to paraphrase another post, this "tournament" is "an investment in the program."

A more realistic description would be "sucker bet." The house (CBI) always wins, because they get the patsies (hosting schools) to cover the house's cost plus a markup.

I'm glad the guys got to play and have the ability to end the season on a winning note. But I certainly don't blame anyone for the attendance last night. Even the vaunted Tarheels, with all their "tradition," were at or below the same percentage of capacity that we were -- and they were playing in a tournament that means less of nothing than the one we are.

(Also: GA was the only feasible approach on two days' notice for a game half the season ticket holders didn't want to attend. I still contend that the U should lower all tix to $10 for next week and open up the center section to all comers by Friday or Saturday.)

Not so, All regular season ticket holders will be able to get their reserved seats throughout the building for all remaining games. :o

Maybe I "misremember" like Roger Clemens but I thought that game was at the TWA dome.

You both mis-remember.

The KU game was at the Savvis the year after Larry left. Troy and Co. beat his brother.

The Larry game at the dome was against Illinois.

You both mis-remember.

The KU game was at the Savvis the year after Larry left. Troy and Co. beat his brother.

The Larry game at the dome was against Illinois.

Darn, I hate when that happens. I am still dizzing from standing and yelling at the refs last night.