depressed about the attendance

slu101

Indiana state had like an 88 RPI to our 87 RPI and we schooled them pretty much all night. We could have won by 30 if the offense hadnt completely fallen apart in the second half...

Where did all of the Bill-ievers go...

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didnt decide to go until the last minute.

If my cable carried HDNET I would of stayed home and watch it.

It is basically a Preseason game. Its hard to get up for a game that doesnt matter and that you really dont belong in anyway.

This is the first and hopefully last year I ever tune in to the CBI

Indiana state had like an 88 RPI to our 87 RPI and we schooled them pretty much all night. We could have won by 30 if the offense hadnt completely fallen apart in the second half...

Where did all of the Bill-ievers go...

Teams often play to the level of their competition. This was an ugly game (second half) and ISU is an ugly team. If this is the 5th best team in Elgin's Valley, then I say "No Thanks"!!

Teams often play to the level of their competition. This was an ugly game (second half) and ISU is an ugly team. If this is the 5th best team in Elgin's Valley, then I say "No Thanks"!!

I was thinking the same thing about the Valley comparison.

I wish they would of destroyed them so the pro valley people could see what a big difference the talent level is between the two

I noticed one of the other coaches had the resposibility for selecting substitutions

I know the gameplan had to include getting minutes for everyone however it seemed

to me when Conklin was hot he was pulled two or three times when he was the force

of the rebounding and energy of the team; Willie was left in in spite of lagging to get

back on defence skipping one lap completely.

Kwamain seemed to be re inserted when Willie scored more total points than KM. Is this

just coincidental?

What I am getting is the flow semed to be purposefully interrupted by the coaching staff.

The game was never in jeopardy but they had some sharpshooters and it could have gotten out

of hand. With a weeks rest until we play again I would have liked to see us run up the score.

Willie did a lot better on freethrows and the team outrebounded Ind State.

I thought Cody had another lacluster game and hope the coaches add to his repertoire over the

summer.

I wouldn't get to depressed about the attendance. Went to the CIT game last night between Creighton and South Dakota. Creighton normally draws about 15 or 16,000 per game. They played the game at a different location, their old home, the Civic and drew 4500 with about 500 or so South Dakota fans. It did seem like a preseason exhibition game but I thought the atmosphere was great as both teams bands were there and I got to sit closer to the action. I would almost have to say I enjoyed the game just as much or more than any game I went to during the season. I did see Indiana State earlier in the season and they didn't look good but were pesky and hung in the game.

I think most fans are so disappointed by the NIT snub, they just didn't care enough to get in their cars, leave their dorms, leave the bars, change plans etc to go to what is an exhibition tournament. That said, I'm glad the Billikids didn't feel this way and suffer an upset. I think it's good RM didn't turn this down. Am sure the team would like to play games right up until next season's opener. Hopefully, part of RM's pregame pep talk was, "Ok, we're all a little down, but our 2010-11 season starts tonight. Every game from here on out will only make us better and lead us to the promised land a year from now." Richmond played in this last year and look how this year turned out for them. Still, the NIT committee can kiss my tuckus. We got jobbed big time.

For me, if the Bills are playing, I'm going. Surprisingly, 3,500 people can sound fairly loud at Chaifetz. If we could double that for the next game, I would be really pleased. The kids deserve the support.

Personally, I did not like the general admission seating. I like knowing that everyone is in their proper seats. It seemed weird not seeing the Shoe clan in the front row.

For me, if the Bills are playing, I'm going. Surprisingly, 3,500 people can sound fairly loud at Chaifetz. If we could double that for the next game, I would be really pleased. The kids deserve the support.

Personally, I did not like the general admission seating. I like knowing that everyone is in their proper seats. It seemed weird not seeing the Shoe clan in the front row.

General admission was great! I loved the padded seats at midcourt, but won't soon be coughing up $3000 to sit in them! It was another great night of Billiken basketball, and I see no reason for people to not come out and enjoy it!

We were in the section over in the third row. It was a weird feeling.

We were in the section over in the third row. It was a weird feeling.

I thought the attendance last night was about what I expected. I would think we could get 6k or more for the next game(s) with the advance notice. The only really disapointing section was the students.

For only being 3,500, I thought it was a louder crowd then normal. Basically I attribute it to the "real" fans showing up and being enthusiastic.

Some of us just want to see the Bills play, and it doesn't matter against who or in what tourney.

I noticed one of the other coaches had the resposibility for selecting substitutions

I know the gameplan had to include getting minutes for everyone however it seemed

to me when Conklin was hot he was pulled two or three times when he was the force

of the rebounding and energy of the team; Willie was left in in spite of lagging to get

back on defence skipping one lap completely.

Kwamain seemed to be re inserted when Willie scored more total points than KM. Is this

just coincidental?

What I am getting is the flow semed to be purposefully interrupted by the coaching staff.

The game was never in jeopardy but they had some sharpshooters and it could have gotten out

of hand. With a weeks rest until we play again I would have liked to see us run up the score.

Willie did a lot better on freethrows and the team outrebounded Ind State.

I thought Cody had another lacluster game and hope the coaches add to his repertoire over the

summer.

Great analysis of the game. I had almost the exact same thoughts. Rick isn't activiely involved during the game in sending players in and out--I am sure it is planned ahead of time with the assistants. He seemed oblivious to who was on the court and didn't seem care one way or the other. He just stood at the time line and coached constantly. It did seem a bit random sometimes. A couple in particular I thought were ill timed--a guy just have 2 good trips up and down the floor on both ends and gets yanked. I guess the message is you are getting your minutes despite how you play. So, don't worry about messing up or doing spectacular because your playing time will not be affected by it.

The one trip Willie skipped was after about a 4 minute stretch with no whistles. He was tired--as were several players at that junction. He was really dogging it. Cory was at the timer's table checked in about 45 seconds before the 8 minute break, but the next whistle didn't come until about the 5 minute mark. This was the junction of the game where both teams tried to run a few times.

Cody has a lot to improve on this offseason. He has no post game to speak of and a guy of his size and quickness it is almost a shame. If even a couple of his 3' fall, we aren't having this conversation though. He just had a rough night shooting: 1-8 from behind the arc.

Willie dominated the paint--period. He is getting more and more fun to watch.

KM was KM--the best player on the floor as is the case more often than not.

Conklin had some real good minutes. He had a few rough breaks under the basket with his shots not falling--a couple rimmed out on him. There is no denying his intensity and his leadership on this team. The energy level of the whole team goes up when he is on the floor. The best part last night was when KM got clobbered pretty good when they were fouling--Brian grabbed our guys and ran them away from what could have been an incident. He usually starts the incidents--great move on his part.

Bottom line though, 3,500 people was very disapointing. It has been several months since the place was that empty. A bit embarrassing for what is supposed to be an up and coming program--one that is supposedly making their way into the big time. It did get loud on several occasions though. The 8:00 start is a bit tougher than 7:00 for sure.

Where were the students?? How much do they charge for the students to get in?? What else are gonna do on a Tuesday night--play X-box? Terrible turn out. most the ususals who were there were great though--very energetic and rowdy. I must admit I didn't go to everygame when I was there, but I had to walk the the metrolink station and head to the Keil--as I will always call the place.

I really hoped that we would have won by 20, but it was comfortable enough. We settled for outside jumpers when they switched to the zone at about the 5 minute mark and missed 5 in a row--very similar to the start of the second half--we missed 5 to start. If we had made even 2 of those after they went zone the game would have changed completely and we would have coasted to a double digit victory. Such is the state of Billiken basketball right now. Young and a bit inconsistant within the game. But they make it fun.

Heres hoping word gets out about next monday and people come out and we put 7000 in the building. I was shocked by some of the over/under bets on Monday of 5,000--I definitely would have lost--big time.

I also think this CBI is a statement expereince for our program. Winning the whole damn thing sends a big F-U to the NIT committee and says to college basketball community as a whole that watch-out we are for real and will be coming for all of you next year. Lets hope Rick can finally get someone of substance to play against us in the non-conference and we start conference play with an RPI in the top 50.

i counted 91 students at one of the first half timeouts. considering the rumor is that royal banks paid for 150 student tickets that is indeed poor.

i counted 91 students at one of the first half timeouts. considering the rumor is that royal banks paid for 150 student tickets that is indeed poor.

Aren't the students on Spring Break this week or was that last week?

I can't understand why any of our fans would want to NOT show up in person for this game. It's post season play. Sure, it's not the NIT or the Big Dance but it's yet another chance to watch our young guys play. It won't be long before we're in the middle of summer chomping at the bit to get the season under way and we'll be grasping at any info we can about our players. This is a chance to keep watching the guys and more importantly support the team.

I am glad people moved in the "UN" Loyal Blue seats in the center sections. I think that's embarrassing that those sections were so empty.

Great poster from Majerus thanking the fans for their support passed out at the end of the game. He also really thanked the fans on the post game show.

The other comment I have on the attendance--I thought the Valley fans were supposed to travel so well? Sure there were a few ISU fans there, but nothing really--maybe 40 tops. Granted we only had about 3,500 and only about 90 students and it is our house in our backyard, but still they didn't travel well at all. I guess another rumor about how great the Valley is is dismissed.

Pathetic. The more things change, the more things stay the same.

-And for the Indians, that's one run on, let's see...one hit? That's all we had, one goddamn hit?

-You can't say "goddamn" on the air!

- It doesn't matter; no one's listening anyway.

The other comment I have on the attendance--I thought the Valley fans were supposed to travel so well? Sure there were a few ISU fans there, but nothing really--maybe 40 tops. Granted we only had about 3,500 and only about 90 students and it is our house in our backyard, but still they didn't travel well at all. I guess another rumor about how great the Valley is is dismissed.

At the risk of YET ANOTHER MVC thread, do people really expect a huge turnout from a visiting team on a Tuesday night in a meaningless tournament? We couldn't get more than 3,500 to drive less than 10 miles to the game. We couldn't get more than 90 students to walk accross campus.

SIU and MSU proved they could bring pretty large crowds earlier this year. Dayton is the only team that brought comparable numbers this year.

Pathetic. The more things change, the more things stay the same.

-And for the Indians, that's one run on, let's see...one hit? That's all we had, one goddamn hit?

-You can't say "goddamn" on the air!

- It doesn't matter; no one's listening anyway.

COME ON PEOPLE. We had one day to rally students together for a CBI game.

Majerus talks about a culture change and that includes the students here taking pride in their school's athletics!

It just shows how apathetic the student body is. This "one day to know about the game" excuse is lame. If the students followed the team at all, they would have known the dealio sunday night. Also, how hard is it for people to find out about the game on Monday? I doubt many students had prohibitive plans on Tuesday night.

I'm not blaming you '05, you and your buddies are definitely not the problem. The rest of the student body is pathetic when it comes to the basketball team. If it makes you feel any better, we weren't much better when I was at SLU.

FYI, Reported Attendance for Last Nights Games From Box Scores:

CBI - SLU vs ISU - 3,542

CBI - VCU at GW - 793

NCAA Play In at Dayton - 8,205

NIT - Northeastern at UConn - 5,571

NIT - Coastal Carolina at UAB - 3,081

NIT - NC State at South Florida - 3,502

NIT - Texas Tech at Seton Hall - 1,829

NIT - William & Mary at UNC - 6,822

NIT - Jackson St at Miss St - 4,433

NIT - Jacksonville St at Arizona St - 2,968

CIT - W. Carolina at Marshall - 5.003

CIT - Fairfield at George Mason - 2,062

CIT - South Dakota at Creighton - 4,348

The late notice caused the low attendance. This was an unplanned game and everything was decided last second and it is not a big draw to get enough fans out. The next game will probably draw more.

Some may have been turned off by the ticket policy for this game. I wanted my reserved seat but they only had the middle seats reserved.

I went anyway arrive on campus at 4:30 went to Humpries for a burger and to the game at 6 got good seats that way. I must admit th fans that sat in 113 last night where much more vocal that the regular crowd. Several new faces that weren't afraid to yell. <_<