Okay, Where from Here?

WVBilliken

Okay, the past two games have been disappointing. But I am still very optimistic about the future. I like this team. Heck it is the youngest in DI this year!

I like the recruits we have but think we really need to get Rob Loe. With him and the other two recruits I think the Bills will be VERY dangerous next year. Yeah, I know that means someone will have to leave. I don't like that but feel someone will look at the situatioin and see they will be the 12th or 13th player on the bench. I do want to see Jeff Reid back. So who leaves to make room for Loe?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know if anyone has heard this yet, but our team is the youngest in D1 basketball.

Sorry, not picking on the original poster, and this maybe a valid point, I'm just tired of hearing it.

It's like hearing the Andre Miller story, but without taking a shot...

...on second thought, nevermind, just added another story/phrase to the drinking game.

wELL THEY ARE THE SECOND YOUNGEST AND FOR A TEAM THAT YOUNG THEY ARE DOING A TERRIFIC JOB. THE JUMP FROM THIS YEAR TO NEXT WIL BE SIGNIFICANT. CANNOT WAIT. AND WITH REINFORCEMENT, OH YEAH.

All caps notwithstanding, it wasn't and isn't a shot at you. Just tired of hearing some derivation of the following: "Youngest team in America." It's true and perhaps a valid excuse, but it's reaching Pants on the Ground status with me.

Where from here? Individual development evolving into a sum that is better than its parts. To wit:

Kwamain continues to make this his team. Individual leadership continues to devlop along with game. Improved outside shot and improved FT shooting.

Cassity: find a jump shot or learn to finish on the drive. Leadership.

Salecich: find something to bring to the table. Don't lose heart and continue to figure out where the shot went.

John: Health, either on or off the court.

Jordan: hsi place on this team. Is he a point or is he a shooter off the bench. And better defense.

Smith: a consistent offensive presence and game. If he's the garbage sweeper in and around the rim, so be it. Like his defense and rebounding all ready.

Remekun: develop the defense and the rebounding. Off season work in weight training, strength and an offensive game.

Reed: need to develop a game where if he receives a pass on the low block, you count it. Needs to get stronger --- he's an under-100 calorie snack right now in the NBA.

Ellis: keep learnign the plays, getting stamina, and showing an ability to play smart ball. I think this will be Mitchell's team but Cody can be the quiet partner in all this.

Conklin: don't play until healthy. I know that's tough with a short bench, but Conk's skills are limited and even more so if he's hurt. But every team needs an enforcer so he has a role and a need. He too undersized to play a consistent four and too limited to be anywhere else.

As for the team, doing all this while winning enough games to get a home tournament game will work for me. That might be too much to ask. While the schedule is favorable in terms of home games, the teams coming in are the elite of the league. We need to steal another road win, either at St. Joe's or La Salle or Umass. The more the better. This would be a year I'd like to see us in one of the "other" post season tournaments --- our youth could use it.

Where from here? Individual development evolving into a sum that is better than its parts. To wit:

Kwamain continues to make this his team. Individual leadership continues to devlop along with game. Improved outside shot and improved FT shooting.

Cassity: find a jump shot or learn to finish on the drive. Leadership.

Salecich: find something to bring to the table. Don't lose heart and continue to figure out where the shot went.

John: Health, either on or off the court.

Jordan: hsi place on this team. Is he a point or is he a shooter off the bench. And better defense.

Smith: a consistent offensive presence and game. If he's the garbage sweeper in and around the rim, so be it. Like his defense and rebounding all ready.

Remekun: develop the defense and the rebounding. Off season work in weight training, strength and an offensive game.

Reed: need to develop a game where if he receives a pass on the low block, you count it. Needs to get stronger --- he's an under-100 calorie snack right now in the NBA.

Ellis: keep learnign the plays, getting stamina, and showing an ability to play smart ball. I think this will be Mitchell's team but Cody can be the quiet partner in all this.

Conklin: don't play until healthy. I know that's tough with a short bench, but Conk's skills are limited and even more so if he's hurt. But every team needs an enforcer so he has a role and a need. He too undersized to play a consistent four and too limited to be anywhere else.

As for the team, doing all this while winning enough games to get a home tournament game will work for me. That might be too much to ask. While the schedule is favorable in terms of home games, the teams coming in are the elite of the league. We need to steal another road win, either at St. Joe's or La Salle or Umass. The more the better. This would be a year I'd like to see us in one of the "other" post season tournaments --- our youth could use it.

I agree. Another game and a few more practices would do this team a lot of good. However, we look to be off the radar for postseason unless we get a few more wins. We'll need to knock off another one of the top teams in the league to get there, IMO, and probably get to at least 19 wins.

I could see us taking St. Joe's but I'm less optimistic about La Salle. If we can win BOTH Dayton and RI at home, then I think we're rolling for a big win at UMass. But as I said before, we need to win against Bonny on Wednesday before we can even think about what wins down the stretch might mean.

I think you could easily make a case that this team could go 7-3 or 2-8 from here on out and not sound crazy. There is just no way to know which team will show up each night.

What worries me is that is seems like Richmond was scoring on us using the same kind of attack that GW used during their comeback on Wednesday. I hope the A-10 is not figuring out the "book" on how to beat this defense.

That being said, I think it's pretty clear that the defense, while worse than usual, was not the real problem yesterday.

I could see us taking St. Joe's but I'm less optimistic about La Salle. If we can win BOTH Dayton and RI at home, then I think we're rolling for a big win at UMass. But as I said before, we need to win against Bonny on Wednesday before we can even think about what wins down the stretch might mean.

We darn well better come to play on Weds. as the Bonnies have had our number and we need a win!

If Bonerventure takes us out again, my head may asplode.

I had them as a .500 team again this year; we are ahead of that schedule and if we play .500 ball the rest of the way out I will be surprised.

On the flip side- I am sure tired of not being able to win a big game now and them that we were not supposed to win. I would like to see RM

prove the difference by outcoaching someone in the A-10 and yes if Biondi renneged on something promised to RM we should just fold the tent move to the MVC and hire Angres Thorpe or some other SLU alum as head coach and I can watch 4 or 5 home games on TV like the rest of the casual alum fans.

I had them as a .500 team again this year; we are ahead of that schedule and if we play .500 ball the rest of the way out I will be surprised.

On the flip side- I am sure tired of not being able to win a big game now and them that we were not supposed to win. I would like to see RM

prove the difference by outcoaching someone in the A-10 and yes if Biondi renneged on something promised to RM we should just fold the tent move to the MVC and hire Angres Thorpe or some other SLU alum as head coach and I can watch 4 or 5 home games on TV like the rest of the casual alum fans.

Sounds like the first game, at home, against Richmond would qualify for that win you are talking about.

the truth about our billikens is that we played such a weak pre-season schedule (especially at home) we had no clue what they really were apparently.

the truth about our billikens is that we played such a weak pre-season schedule (especially at home) we had no clue what they really were apparently.

I agree we played a very weak schedule, but if we play .500 ball with 6 out of our first 9 conference game on the road I think its a step in the right direction especially with all freshmen and sophmores(drink).

I agree we played a very weak schedule, but if we play .500 ball with 6 out of our first 9 conference game on the road I think its a step in the right direction especially with all freshmen and sophmores(drink).

i agree, but i think the preseaon gave us false hope from what we really are. at the beginning of the season, i said we would be two game over 500 and i am not sure if that wasnt too optimistic, however i found myself thinking maybe we can win 20 after we won those first few conference games as well. now we have probably come back to earth.

i agree, but i think the preseaon gave us false hope from what we really are. at the beginning of the season, i said we would be two game over 500 and i am not sure if that wasnt too optimistic, however i found myself thinking maybe we can win 20 after we won those first few conference games as well. now we have probably come back to earth.

I don't think the non-conference season gave anybody false hope. We were 9-5 against a pretty weak bunch.

What gave people hope was Cody coming in, beating a good Richmond team, winning a game on the road and going to OT on the road against another good team in Charlotte, crushing Fordham and taking a commanding lead against GW. With 10 minutes to go in the GW game we looked like a team that was good enough to go 4-1 in the A-10 (could have been 5-0 had we made a FT or two against Charlotte). The non-conference record was as far from my mind as possible. If there was any false hope it was due to how we played the first 4.75 games of the conference season.

The beat-downs we took in Chicago where KC became afraid to shoot, where CS looked over-exposed, where our bigs didn't look so big should have brought us back to reality and what to expect when the conference season began.

I don't think the non-conference season gave anybody false hope. We were 9-5 against a pretty weak bunch.

What gave people hope was Cody coming in, beating a good Richmond team, winning a game on the road and going to OT on the road against another good team in Charlotte, crushing Fordham and taking a commanding lead against GW. With 10 minutes to go in the GW game we looked like a team that was good enough to go 4-1 in the A-10 (could have been 5-0 had we made a FT or two against Charlotte). The non-conference record was as far from my mind as possible. If there was any false hope it was due to how we played the first 4.75 games of the conference season.

-i think kshoe is on the mark with this

The beat-downs we took in Chicago where KC became afraid to shoot, where CS looked over-exposed, where our bigs didn't look so big should have brought us back to reality and what to expect when the conference season began.

well i remember the sky indeed was falling after chicago/georgia, but then we had our gimmees again and life was all rainbows and butterflys again and we were headed to the final four.

well i remember the sky indeed was falling after chicago/georgia, but then we had our gimmees again and life was all rainbows and butterflys again and we were headed to the final four.

and if we beat the Bonnies by 25, we'll again be headed to at least the sweet 16

and if we beat the Bonnies by 25, we'll again be headed to at least the sweet 16

i shudder to think of another bonnies loss. :lol: