Majerus on Radio Tonite

TheBand

I was out to dinner but my son called and said he listened to the interview on 550 and he said it was great. While I can understand some frustration by some folks over the 101 thing no one who is a Billiken fan could be anything but ecstatic about a Billiken coach giving a great interview on WGN in Chicago, promoting the team and the school while on a recruiting trip and talking about a great Chicago player who signed with the Bills. Over the past two decades we would have killed for a coach who had the contacts and the ability to pull off such an interview on one of the most famous stations in the US and in a town that is a hotbed of potential recruits. I give the coach a big thumbs up for this one.

Agree...I didn't know what to expect when I first saw the thread, but the more I thought about it and the more info I got, I figured it was a stage to promote his up and coming program to a massive metro with unlimited talent....and I was happy to see that this is exactly what it was. He was even upset at the end that he didn't get to talk about his team more. Usually he doesn't care that much about talking about politics or former players...this time he was.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I'd bet his columns are widely read because, like it or not, they're interesting. As a matter of fact, I'll bet he has more readership than T. Timmerman. The fact that you don't like his revelations about SLU's putrid TV ratings or attendance numbers is your issue, not the general public. As far as his appearance, that'a childish response. It has nothing to do with his work.

I don't read his articles and I did not mention anything about SLU's bad TV ratings or attendance. I'm not sure where you got that. My "issue" is that I read the sports section for sports news and opinions, not news about the sports media which is what Ceasar provides. I'll give you that the TV ratings are interesting sometimes, but I think a graph or chart could do the job just as good and probably better than an article.

I think his appearance in his photo that gets put in the paper next to every one of his articles has a lot to do with his work/professionalism. (Disclaimer: I'm going off the photo that was posted here in a different thread sometime last week) He obviously knew his picture was being taken for the article he could have taken the time to tie a decent knot in his tie or straighten it out a little and he could have actually smiled instead of just having a creepy look on his face.

Agree...I didn't know what to expect when I first saw the thread, but the more I thought about it and the more info I got, I figured it was a stage to promote his up and coming program to a massive metro with unlimited talent....and I was happy to see that this is exactly what it was. He was even upset at the end that he didn't get to talk about his team more. Usually he doesn't care that much about talking about politics or former players...this time he was.

This is just tremendous PR for SLU, overall, in the Chicago (#3 nationally) media market.

SLU has never had a Coach like this in my over 3 decades following the team who could be on WGN Radio in Chicago in prime time for almost an hour.

I thought the interview was great. Majerus did an interview on 550 a couple weeks ago with Claiborne that was equally good. It appears to me that when Majerus chooses to he can be extremely personable and great copy. When he is put into situations where he is forced to be with the media then he is much more off putting. A weekly show in a certain context probably isn't the best thing for him. This interview was obviously in place to be a showcase to the Chicago area.

SLU needs 101 much more than 101 needs SLU. We do need to mend those bridges.

I thought the interview was great. Majerus did an interview on 550 a couple weeks ago with Claiborne that was equally good. It appears to me that when Majerus chooses to he can be extremely personable and great copy. When he is put into situations where he is forced to be with the media then he is much more off putting. A weekly show in a certain context probably isn't the best thing for him. This interview was obviously in place to be a showcase to the Chicago area.

SLU needs 101 much more than 101 needs SLU. We do need to mend those bridges.

"What youve got to do is keep the talent at home"

umm a little hypocritical.

but overall a great interview. Hope this carries to 101

GM at 101.1 says he believes "The Billikens Show" has been canceled for this year, but that he will "revisit it next year," per Caesar at the PD

It is his radio station shouldn't he know if a show was canceled or not?

I've got to think DePaul will take notice of this. Here's a guy from St. Louis who just stole a potential Chicago POY from under their noses and has no problem getting pub to promote his team on the the biggest radio station in town. Depaul is a team that could win big time if it could keep half the best players home. If I'm their AD I'd want to talk to him. The question is, will RM want to talk to them? I think he does.

He's not stupid. He knows this will piss off Biondi and the local media, but he doesn't care. Maybe he got his buddy to give him a little air time to get DePaul to take notice and ask permission to talk to him?

I didn't think he would want that job, but this makes me wonder. Its awfully coincidental.

Who wants the DePaul job? They seem to have little commitment to a winning program while being in the best conference in the nation. Call me when DePaul builds an on-campus arena or makes some other noteworthy move showing a genuine commitment to turning their program around.

I'd be surprised if Majerus had any interest in the DePaul job. No way this interview had anything to do with him wanting the job there.

I've got to think DePaul will take notice of this. Here's a guy from St. Louis who just stole a potential Chicago POY from under their noses and has no problem getting pub to promote his team on the the biggest radio station in town. Depaul is a team that could win big time if it could keep half the best players home. If I'm their AD I'd want to talk to him. The question is, will RM want to talk to them? I think he does.

He's not stupid. He knows this will piss off Biondi and the local media, but he doesn't care. Maybe he got his buddy to give him a little air time to get DePaul to take notice and ask permission to talk to him?

I didn't think he would want that job, but this makes me wonder. Its awfully coincidental.

No way a) this is about him auditioning for Depaul and b ) he'll go to Depaul. He's just getting the ball rolling here. He's going to have a potential A-10 champ next year. Why would he leave to go to a place with inferior facilities and team situation?

No way a) this is about him auditioning for Depaul and b ) he'll go to Depaul. He's just getting the ball rolling here. He's going to have a potential A-10 champ next year. Why would he leave to go to a place with inferior facilities and team situation?

This isn't a big enough spotlight for him. Its clear he could care less about the local media and local opinion. I listened to his one show with Bob Ramsey and his attitude sucked. He clearly couldn't be bothered with a local show and made no bones about it. Then to leave halfway through and put on the director of basketball operations as his standin was a slap in the face to Ramsey and the program. He's got four assistants that could have filled in. You don't need to be there, just phone in. He could do it, he just won't be bothered.

I think he's a lonely man with a big ego and needs the national spotlight to fill his void. Now that he's had the job for 3 years he can see its not coming here. Sure he can build us into a top A10 contender and make the big dance every two or three years. To us that would be success, but thats not going to draw the big spotlight.

This guy has an ego. He thinks he can turn DePaul into a top Big East team and he probably can. He can recruit Chicago and nationally. Look at the roster he's pieced together here selling a program with little tradition(no one else besides SLU fans think we have tradition), moderate local support, in a city that doesn't produce much top flight talent for its size and a middle of the road conference. Think of the players he could get selling Chicago, the Big East and a recognizable name like DePaul. He could get them to the top and the national spotlight would be back on him. When that's not on him the Chicago spotlight would be and thats a lot brighter spotlight than the one in St. Louis. If he brought them back he could be the toast of Chicago, which is a lot bigger than being the toast of St. Louis. He'd be living on the gold coast, not at the Chase.

I think he wants the DePaul job. The question is, does DePaul want him?

Agree with everything you say. Great interview and it has nothing to do with Depaul.

That being said we need to treat 101.1 better. They are they key to the St. Louis sports market and we should be happy to be on there. No reason to piss on them.

I agree completely. It is great to hear that Majerus is speaking glowingly of the program on the Chicago airways, but that certainly has to piss off the flagship station.

This isn't a big enough spotlight for him. Its clear he could care less about the local media and local opinion. I listened to his one show with Bob Ramsey and his attitude sucked. He clearly couldn't be bothered with a local show and made no bones about it. Then to leave halfway through and put on the director of basketball operations as his standin was a slap in the face to Ramsey and the program. He's got four assistants that could have filled in. You don't need to be there, just phone in. He could do it, he just won't be bothered.

I think he's a lonely man with a big ego and needs the national spotlight to fill his void. Now that he's had the job for 3 years he can see its not coming here. Sure he can build us into a top A10 contender and make the big dance every two or three years. To us that would be success, but thats not going to draw the big spotlight.

This guy has an ego. He thinks he can turn DePaul into a top Big East team and he probably can. He can recruit Chicago and nationally. Look at the roster he's pieced together here selling a program with little tradition(no one else besides SLU fans think we have tradition), moderate local support, in a city that doesn't produce much top flight talent for its size and a middle of the road conference. Think of the players he could get selling Chicago, the Big East and a recognizable name like DePaul. He could get them to the top and the national spotlight would be back on him. When that's not on him the Chicago spotlight would be and thats a lot brighter spotlight than the one in St. Louis. If he brought them back he could be the toast of Chicago, which is a lot bigger than being the toast of St. Louis. He'd be living on the gold coast, not at the Chase.

I think he wants the DePaul job. The question is, does DePaul want him?

He isn't going anywhere.

Take it to the bank.