Majerus's comments about moving to MVC

dneuner

Wasn't sure if this warranted a new thread or not, so I'm sticking it here, but I wanted to add one more of Majerus' comments to the discussion.

Coach Rick believes (and I'm becoming more inclined to agree with him) that SLU should pay the exit fee and leave the A10, he suggested as soon as next season, and pay to enter into the MVC. One of his good lines about this was "you shouldn't send good money to chase after the bad." At that point, he says Fr. Biondi and Chris May should begin prepping their programs for when the Big East splits football/basketball. RickMa doesn't think he'll still be at SLU when that happens, but says that it is in SLU's best interest to begin preparing for that, and they need to start today.

Majerus seemed to hint that he was not at all pleased with how Levick handled the move into the A10 (saying she misled Biondi, or was misled herself) but that in terms of economics, fan base, alumni association, media, it is in SLU's best interest to dump the A10 asap.

He also floated suggestions as to what the new conference would look like. It was a really interesting conversation.

I will also say, without naming names, that Rick isn't the only coach that believes that SLU needs to dump the A10 in a hurry.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't sure if this warranted a new thread or not, so I'm sticking it here, but I wanted to add one more of Majerus' comments to the discussion.

Coach Rick believes (and I'm becoming more inclined to agree with him) that SLU should pay the exit fee and leave the A10, he suggested as soon as next season, and pay to enter into the MVC. One of his good lines about this was "you shouldn't send good money to chase after the bad." At that point, he says Fr. Biondi and Chris May should begin prepping their programs for when the Big East splits football/basketball. RickMa doesn't think he'll still be at SLU when that happens, but says that it is in SLU's best interest to begin preparing for that, and they need to start today.

Majerus seemed to hint that he was not at all pleased with how Levick handled the move into the A10 (saying she misled Biondi, or was misled herself) but that in terms of economics, fan base, alumni association, media, it is in SLU's best interest to dump the A10 asap.

He also floated suggestions as to what the new conference would look like. It was a really interesting conversation.

I will also say, without naming names, that Rick isn't the only coach that believes that SLU needs to dump the A10 in a hurry.

I think it will be very interesting to see who agrees with that statement now that Rickma has said it.

-dneuner please expand on a couple points, if you can, for us

1-Levick was misled as to what?

2-what did rick think a new conference would look like and why did he think slu would be included?

3-when did rick think the big east blow up would occur?

-here comes the a10 vs mvc yet again

My thought: If we're preparing for the Big East split, can't we do that just as well in the A-10 as we can in the MVC? Why spend the money to leave the A10, join the MVC, if we are hoping that a bigger and better conference for SLU might happen. Further, with most of the Big East in the East, wouldn't it be prudent to maintain a presence there?

I'm not sure I see the necessity to move to the MVC as a temporary spot for some other conference break-up and subsequent merger.

Interesting. After X number of years in the obscurity of the Missouri Valley, lacking the media exposure of the east coast (which is a perk of playing in the A-10), would SLU be appealing to the hypothetical new basketball conference? Would they stand out beyond Bradley, Creighton, Drake, or Evansville? Make no mistake: if SLU were to leave the A-10 and join the Missouri Valley, they'd never be considered on the same level as Dayton, Xavier, St. Joseph's, or Gonzaga (because SLU would not be able to dominate the MVC the Gonzaga has been able to dominate the WCC), let alone Marquette, DePaul, Villanova, and Georgetown.

It would be program suicide.

Coach Majerus wants to make his mark and dot the I's and cross the T's of his own personal legacy and ride off into the sunset leaving SLU to wallow in mediocrity ever afterward!

My thought: If we're preparing for the Big East split, can't we do that just as well in the A-10 as we can in the MVC? Why spend the money to leave the A10, join the MVC, if we are hoping that a bigger and better conference for SLU might happen. Further, with most of the Big East in the East, wouldn't it be prudent to maintain a presence there?

I'm not sure I see the necessity to move to the MVC as a temporary spot for some other conference break-up and subsequent merger.

I think SLU can prepare for the potential new conference better in the Atlantic 10 than in the Missouri Valley.

I think the Missouri Valley is a good mid-major conference, but the east-coast bias makes it inferior to the A-10.

I personally have no interest in leaving the A10 for the MVC. I see that as a dead end - period. I am very certain that no MVC team will be asked to join any Big East break up reconfiguration. If RM believes this then I have to say he is off base. Keep our money and wait for the break up - the A10 is fine for now. RM is letting his distaste for travel to color his thinking in my opinion.

My point exactly that I made in a post.

Interesting. After X number of years in the obscurity of the Missouri Valley, lacking the media exposure of the east coast (which is a perk of playing in the A-10), would SLU be appealing to the hypothetical new basketball conference? Would they stand out beyond Bradley, Creighton, Drake, or Evansville? Make no mistake: if SLU were to leave the A-10 and join the Missouri Valley, they'd never be considered on the same level as Dayton, Xavier, St. Joseph's, or Gonzaga (because SLU would not be able to dominate the MVC the Gonzaga has been able to dominate the WCC), let alone Marquette, DePaul, Villanova, and Georgetown.

It would be program suicide.

Coach Majerus wants to make his mark and dot the I's and cross the T's of his own personal legacy and ride off into the sunset leaving SLU to wallow in mediocrity ever afterward!

I think the last sentence is a little harsh and don't believe that. It seems he truly likes the school and the people at it. I agree with you on leaving the A10. However, I imagine he thinks the Bills can succeed in the MVC as much as the A10 with him as the coach and have a better TV deal.

I personally have no interest in leaving the A10 for the MVC. I see that as a dead end - period. I am very certain that no MVC team will be asked to join any Big East break up reconfiguration. If RM believes this then I have to say he is off base. Keep our money and wait for the break up - the A10 is fine for now. RM is letting his distaste for travel to color his thinking in my opinion.

Yep. I believe like many others that the A-10 is the best non-BCS conference and even were I still living in STL and we went to the MVC, probably the only games I would travel for would be those at SIU. I really cannot understand his reasoning regarding conference preference. I trust Rick's judgment on the court and I like the funny ###### he says. Past that, he's too eccentric and I'm fine w/ Biondi calling the shots. I get excited about a lot of the teams we play in the A-10 and could really care less about most of the MVC. A-10 is a better conference and yeah, we're on the far edge of it geographically, but whatever. If we get the players we want, conference won't matter anyway.

There must be something more to this story, such as being repeatedly screwed by the A-10 on TV contract, etc. As several have noted, the MVC makes no sense as a "placeholder" conference in preparation for a Big East breakup. I'm assuming it would be a positive outcome to end up in a new conference with Xavier and Dayton (and, depending upon the conference, St. Joe's); I don't see any similar affinities in the MVC. And from the Big East, do you suppose we'd be likelier to end up in a new conference with Georgetown and St. John's if we stayed in the A-10 and kept something of an East Coast presence, or if we joined the MVC?

Plus we'd likely have to pay a second exit fee, this time when we leave the MVC.

Something doesn't add up, other than we know that A-10 management has been utter ani to us since we've joined.

As an Ath. Dept. administrator, RM is a very good basketball coach. Nothing in his background qualifies him to do anything but coach basketball. I agree with what someone noted, he just doesn't like to travel, therefore, A10=bad, MVC bus rides=good. When Omaha is the best away trip, you're in a podunk conference. It seems like recruits would rather travel to NYC, Boston area, Pittsburgh, Philly, Charlotte, Cincy and Dayton than Normal, Cedar Rapids, Carbondale, Peoria, Spfd and Evansville.

The A-10 is not perfect, BUT its reputation, especially now is superior to the Valley, a nice little midwestern conference. I have to agree with just about all the posts since this changed from a Loe/Ellis thread to a MVC/A-10 thread. As noted, no one from the MVC will be in line for an invite to join the "new " conference, should it ever occur. Stay in the better conference and wait it out.

Rick, just coach and recruit.

By the way, back to the original subject, I now believe that Cody Ellis is a figment of RM's mind and never really existed. He was just utilized to fill up our scholarship numbers.

-dneuner please expand on a couple points, if you can, for us

1-Levick was misled as to what?

2-what did rick think a new conference would look like and why did he think slu would be included?

3-when did rick think the big east blow up would occur?

-here comes the a10 vs mvc yet again

Not sure what Levick was misled about, but he's not the first one to tell me that. Rick believed that the new conference would have (and I've forgotten them all so I might make some of this up): Providence, St. Johns, Seton Hall, Villanova, Georgetown, DePaul, Marquette, Notre Dame, Dayton/Xavier, and SLU. He didn't give a timeline for when this might happen. He thought the 10th bid would be a "lottery pick" of sorts and that's why SLU needs to put itself in the best position to claim that spot (having 2.15 million TV sets here and no other D-1 team helps).

Personally, I don't think the "East Coast" presence does us any good. Majerus has made it clear he is recruiting in the Midwest and, in terms of families/fans/alums being able to travel, I don't think the "New Big East" would really help SLU, but lots of good Catholic/Jesuit play in there. I also believe the level of play would be better among those teams than what we're seeing in the A10 (and not just in basketball).

I'd like to see SLU, Missouri, SIU, Illinois, Nebraska, Iowa, Indiana, Louisville, Memphis, and perhaps Oklahoma State make a Midwest conference, but we all know that will never happen.

Not sure what Levick was misled about, but he's not the first one to tell me that. Rick believed that the new conference would have (and I've forgotten them all so I might make some of this up): Providence, St. Johns, Seton Hall, Villanova, Georgetown, DePaul, Marquette, Notre Dame, Dayton/Xavier, and SLU. He didn't give a timeline for when this might happen. He thought the 10th bid would be a "lottery pick" of sorts and that's why SLU needs to put itself in the best position to claim that spot (having 2.15 million TV sets here and no other D-1 team helps).

Personally, I don't think the "East Coast" presence does us any good. Majerus has made it clear he is recruiting in the Midwest and, in terms of families/fans/alums being able to travel, I don't think the "New Big East" would really help SLU, but lots of good Catholic/Jesuit play in there. I also believe the level of play would be better among those teams than what we're seeing in the A10 (and not just in basketball).

I'd like to see SLU, Missouri, SIU, Illinois, Nebraska, Iowa, Indiana, Louisville, Memphis, and perhaps Oklahoma State make a Midwest conference, but we all know that will never happen.

Presence on the East Coast might not matter with players and parents, but it probably does with the big wig administrators considering the formation of a new conference w/a substantial number of East Coast schools.

Majerus has always been wrong on this issue.

The A-10 is a poorly run league. The number of good teams in the league though is expanding. In the next few years we are solidly in play for 3-4 NCAA tourney bids. The MVC is not. Now the MVC would never let a team like Fordham wallow in its league but the A-10 has no administrative direction. Our TV contract stinks, then again it is not like SLU does a bang up job in promoting the program outside of TV. I can't even buy a jersey.

There are olot of things that make sense in SLU joining the MVC. The only thing holding it back is the level of play. The A-10 is better. You have to play in the best league you can, nothing else really matters.

Rick is recruiting the midwest. Midwest Australia?

Agree with other posters who say if the goal is preparing for the breakup of the Big East, then we are much better positioned for it in the A10 than the MVC. By being in the A10, we are aligning ourselves tightly with Xavier and Dayton. When the Big East breaks up, who in the MVC has even a remote chance of joining the party? Perhaps Creighton but their location in Omaha makes that a tough sell for a new conference. You would think St. Louis would be the western most point in any new non-football, predominately Catholic league. Our goal should be to win an A10 championship, make the NCAA tourney, and thus have some sort of recent resume to sell to the new league. Going to the MVC is really a terminal move. We'd be there until the apocalypse.

If the Big East implodes, this is a rough stab at the group of schools we would like to associate ourselves with. Can anyone with some measure of common sense argue that we have a better shot of joining this group from the MVC?

Marquette

DePaul

Villanova

Xavier

Dayton

SLU

St. Joe's

George Washington

St. Bonny

Butler

Probably a 12 team league with an east and west conference would be a sensible way to go about it. Talk ND into joining that party and it's our dream bball conference.

sighhhhhh.

maybe rickma is really andy strickland incognito when it comes to off court issues and concerns.

this doesnt even warrant the debate again. chalk it up to rick having a few beers or getting hit on the head at practice or being denied seconds at the a-10 coaches dinner or something.

you know if someone proved that there was never a chance that another conference shuffle would ever happen, and that the a-10 presidents and athletic directors would never collectively get it together and forever be stuck in 1983, then maybe maybe you think about joining the podunk mvc. even then, the fact that student enrollment has greatly increased from a number of the east coast areas that are deemed a-10 country since slu entered the a-10 should alone be reason enough to put the nix to the thought. plus it seems to me that the conference has gotten better since we joined. and last it does seem that the big east impulsion is going to happen eventually with big east football continuing to strive to a bigger part of their conference vision.

incredible. this is all the casual st louis sports fans need to hear again. does the man even think when he talks? incredible.

I don't see how the hypothetical move of SLU to the MVC would aid getting SLU into the new Big East. If anything, such a SLU move would be counterproductive IMO.

All along it has been my opinion that SLU has basically parked itself in the A-10, albeit and hopefully building alliances with Dayton and Xavier during this period.

This being said, many not close to SLU, including even on the West Coast, scoff at the notion of SLU being in the Atlantic 10. People ask me SLU's conference, some think SLU is in the Missouri Valley (from the past), and when I tell them that SLU is in the Atlantic 10, I'll get a strange look. Atlantic and St. Louis do not exactly mesh.

But when all the factors are considered, SLU and the MVC do not mesh either.

SLU is better off staying put in the A-10 for now and waiting for what happens with the Big East, if anything. And hopefully, the SLU program will be a strong one that will be wanted by the new Big East, Papal Conference, whatever it is called.

When I discussed the SLU situation with a well informed Jesuit from another school (East Coast), he said that the A-10 is not big enough for SLU, primarily from a financial aspect, TV money, and also noting SLU's new Arena. When I asked where SLU could go, he thought for a minute, and ultimately answered the Big East. There's no room in the Big East for SLU right now, but hopefully that will change over time.

Patience is a virtue in this case.

Agree with other posters who say if the goal is preparing for the breakup of the Big East, then we are much better positioned for it in the A10 than the MVC. By being in the A10, we are aligning ourselves tightly with Xavier and Dayton. When the Big East breaks up, who in the MVC has even a remote chance of joining the party? Perhaps Creighton but their location in Omaha makes that a tough sell for a new conference. You would think St. Louis would be the western most point in any new non-football, predominately Catholic league. Our goal should be to win an A10 championship, make the NCAA tourney, and thus have some sort of recent resume to sell to the new league. Going to the MVC is really a terminal move. We'd be there until the apocalypse.

If the Big East implodes, this is a rough stab at the group of schools we would like to associate ourselves with. Can anyone with some measure of common sense argue that we have a better shot of joining this group from the MVC?

Marquette

DePaul

Villanova

Xavier

Dayton

SLU

St. Joe's

George Washington

St. Bonny

Butler

Probably a 12 team league with an east and west conference would be a sensible way to go about it. Talk ND into joining that party and it's our dream bball conference.

You're leaving out Duquesne, LaSalle, St. John's, Seton Hall, Georgetown, Providence, Fordham.

SLU still needs to elevate the program so it is not in a position of contending for that last pick. The program elevation appears to be in process.

A while back someone from Notre Dame, the former baseball coach, as I recall, had Creighton in the proposed conference and not SLU.

That is all the more reason for SLU to not return to the MVC IMO, and have to fight it out with Creighton.