Majerus's comments about moving to MVC

dneuner

Because I'm a geographic guy. Just like in professional sports, why should the St. Louis Rams be in a conference with Arizona, Seattle, San Fran? They should be with Chicago, Minnesota, Dallas, and New Orleans. Make it a Mississippi River League. ;)

Plus is Nevada really Midwest? Time to ponder...

dnuener, just curious, are you also in favor of either washington or arizona dropping out of the pac 10? i mean if geography is the answer, my gosh they are further apart than st louis and rhody. how about texas el paso and eastern carolina in conference usa? heck colorado and college station texas is almost as far apart as the outer borders of the atlantic 10, break up the big 12 for geographic nonsense. why in the world would penn staters stand for that drive to minneapolis or iowa city. penn state should get out of the big ten now. marquette and south florida? that's crazy. add to it louisville and providence and the big east is officially geographic stupid.

look someone has to be the borders of every conference. this is not 1922 where travel is really a huge issue. there are far more important issues in conference affiliation than geography. in our case the ability to be in a conference where the vast majority are like educational institutions with like philosophical and ethical beliefs is huge. other than creighton, saint louis university has absolutely nothing in common with the mvc institutions.

think about market areas. can the market areas of the members of the mvc contribute to saint louis university general student enrollment more than the market areas of the atlantic 10? not even close.

sorry but the mvc would be a disaster for saint louis university in every way.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, Roy. This is the bottom line. We're not going to the MVC. We're in the best non-BCS conference for basketball now, so let's ride it out until the next conference shuffle and see what happens then. Let's retire this argument and move forward.

Also, for what it's worth, I would strongly consider giving up my season tickets if SLU ever moves to the MVC. That would be a clear indication that the school doesn't have the same ambition for the athletic program that I do. It would certainly put a ceiling on what we're able to do as a basketball program, even if it's a horizontal move in most other sports.

dnuener, just curious, are you also in favor of either washington or arizona dropping out of the pac 10? i mean if geography is the answer, my gosh they are further apart than st louis and rhody. how about texas el paso and eastern carolina in conference usa? heck colorado and college station texas is almost as far apart as the outer borders of the atlantic 10, break up the big 12 for geographic nonsense. why in the world would penn staters stand for that drive to minneapolis or iowa city. penn state should get out of the big ten now. marquette and south florida? that's crazy. add to it louisville and providence and the big east is officially geographic stupid.

look someone has to be the borders of every conference. this is not 1922 where travel is really a huge issue. there are far more important issues in conference affiliation than geography. in our case the ability to be in a conference where the vast majority are like educational institutions with like philosophical and ethical beliefs is huge. other than creighton, saint louis university has absolutely nothing in common with the mvc institutions.

think about market areas. can the market areas of the members of the mvc contribute to saint louis university general student enrollment more than the market areas of the atlantic 10? not even close.

not affiliated with Drake but I think they outclass Creighton in as many ways as Creighton edges them

Thank you, Roy. This is the bottom line. We're not going to the MVC. We're in the best non-BCS conference for basketball now, so let's ride it out until the next conference shuffle and see what happens then. Let's retire this argument and move forward.

Also, for what it's worth, I would strongly consider giving up my season tickets if SLU ever moves to the MVC. That would be a clear indication that the school doesn't have the same ambition for the athletic program that I do. It would certainly put a ceiling on what we're able to do as a basketball program, even if it's a horizontal move in most other sports.

I'm mainly concerned with basketball like most on the board, but how would a move affect the soccer program? Do most MVC schools (with the exception of Creighton, who I believe has a relatively strong program) even have mens soccer?

Because I'm a geographic guy. Just like in professional sports, why should the St. Louis Rams be in a conference with Arizona, Seattle, San Fran? They should be with Chicago, Minnesota, Dallas, and New Orleans. Make it a Mississippi River League. ;)

Plus is Nevada really Midwest? Time to ponder...

Sorry, dneuner your conference made little sense to all the school involved so I was teasing you by adding something just as off the wall.

I'm mainly concerned with basketball like most on the board, but how would a move affect the soccer program? Do most MVC schools (with the exception of Creighton, who I believe has a relatively strong program) even have mens soccer?

The Valley has Creighton, who was down this year but is normally solid, and Missouri State, who is pretty good every year. Drake actually made the sweet sixteen this year and just lost a few days ago to UNC to end their season.

I think the conference only has 6 teams, including Eastern Illinois. Didn't it used to have SMU? I guess they pulled out during the last conference re-shuffling.

Sorry, dneuner your conference made little sense to all the school involved so I was teasing you by adding something just as off the wall.

Oh yeah, I understand that what I proposed is completely outrageous. There's so much history at those schools and its those traditions that makes each of those programs what they are today. But hey, if we can build conferences at will, why not dream big??

Oh yeah, I understand that what I proposed is completely outrageous. There's so much history at those schools and its those traditions that makes each of those programs what they are today. But hey, if we can build conferences at will, why not dream big??

dneuner it seems you took my response in good fun, cool.

The Valley has Creighton, who was down this year but is normally solid, and Missouri State, who is pretty good every year. Drake actually made the sweet sixteen this year and just lost a few days ago to UNC to end their season.

I think the conference only has 6 teams, including Eastern Illinois. Didn't it used to have SMU? I guess they pulled out during the last conference re-shuffling.

I think they did have SMU, and they used to have Vanderbilt as well.

Joining the A-10 was a disasterous move.

We are MVC all the way, that is our "speed".

It is perfect for SLU.

MVC = regional rivalries, local players we recognize, SLU fans can drive to see games, save on expenses for all sports, etc.

Some loud mouths make a big case that the A-10 is better for us based on RPI that particular year; it varies, yes A-10 is slightly higher. SO?

Majority that know the whole picture know we should have been in the MVC.

Majority that played varsity sports at SLU would agree.

Majority involved with athletic dept will agree but maybe cannot say publicly.

Good tor RM coming out and saying it!

Some want to wait for possible break up of Big East and super conference w ND, DePaul, Xavier, Dayton, Cincy, Louisville... not in our lifetimes.

Get real.

We should be in the MVC.

Some posters who stalk this board 24/7 will now argue some of their points, but the majority that know the business know we should be in the MVC.

Go ahead, posters who do this 24/7, make your case sigh.

It is perfect for SLU.

MVC = regional rivalries, local players we recognize, SLU fans can drive to see games, save on expenses for all sports, etc.

Some loud mouths make a big case that the A-10 is better for us based on RPI that particular year; it varies, yes A-10 is slightly higher. SO?

Some want to wait for possible break up of Big East and super conference w ND, DePaul, Xavier, Dayton, Cincy, Louisville... not in our lifetimes.

Get real.

We should be in the MVC.

Some posters who stalk this board 24/7 will now argue some of their points, but the majority that know the business know we should be in the MVC.

how many out of town games have you been to in your life? i can tell you as a billiken fan that has went to a number of out of town games over the years, there isnt many. slu has never traveled well for any out of town games and it would be a shame to base our conference choice on ease of a drive to peoria or terre haute. that said, i am sure you can really spend some quality time after the games in those red hot mvc cities. i have always wanted to tour wichita.

do you realize that in non revenue sports the disadvantage competitively the mvc would be for saint louis university? go to slu vs siu or missouri state or wichita state or creighton baseball game if they ever match up and see what you get. that said, in the a-10 the billikens have indeed been very competitive in a number of the non revenue sports.

how many years in the last 10 has the mvc had the superior rpi in men's basketball?

what we save in "travel expenses" slu has made up in increased student enrollment. 2009-2010 freshmen class biggest yet and entrance credentials going up. must be doing something right to attract the east coast student. but if you want the peoria and murphysboro kids so be it.

most disappointing statement in your post,

"MVC all the way, that is our "speed"" talk about settling.

It is perfect for SLU.

Get real.

We should be in the MVC.

You seem to know what a lot of other people think.

To me it's simple. Which conference has the teams I want to see play? It's an easy answer for me.

Now, If I knew as you do what all the other people in the world think, I'd probably change my mind, if for no other reason that peer pressure.

Football will be the deciding factor in the Beast. If ND loses its deal w/ NBC it's going to have go to a conference since most of the networks are now signing deals w/ conferences. ND's TV exposure goes minimal. My guess would be the Big 10, who'd welcome them with open arms as it gives them 12 teams and a playoff game (more revenue). If ND leaves Beast that could open the flood gates and send them looking for a FB school or two to give them a 12 team FB conference. You could see Temple and possibly Memphis joining or maybe 'Nova would go the UConn route and upgrade FB to D1 status. In any event that's what SLU should be positioning itself for.

What Memphis - how could them be in the Big East. That makes no sense from a geography stand point! Only kidding - see how silly it is for people to bring up the geography issue for us and the A10 - if the A10 was called the Small East 10 or whatever nobody would raise the issue.

It is perfect for SLU.

Get real.

We should be in the MVC.

You raise the issue of local players - look at our roster now - BC is from Oregon, CS from Australia, WR from KC, JR from Topeka, our two recruits for next year are from Chicago, KM from Wisconsin, JJ from Indiana, JS from Ohio, CR from Texas. Only KC and FJ are truly local players. Now just because the MVC plays in Indiana and IL, and Kansas does not make those players from those areas local. If they had wanted to go to a MVC school they certainly could have but choose not to do so for whatever the reasons. I am sure there are some non revenue sports who like the idea of playing in the MVC because basically they do recruit only locally but honestly that is like the tail wagging the dog. Whether they like it or not basketball is where their bread is buttered so that dog will always wag the tail.

My requirement would now be based on LMS ---- Like-Minded Schools. For the most part, urban, (previous) religious affiliation, non-football playing or lower echelon football school, basketball main revenue sport, private institution, collectively "tough" educator.

A10 qualifiers = St. Joseph's, La Salle, Fordham, George Washington, Xavier, Duquesne, Richmond, Charlotte (now -- not shortly with football coming), Duquesne, St. Bonaventure, and Dayton. Total of 11 out of 13 losing Umass and Rhode Island.

MVC Qualifiers = Creighton and Drake. Two? Is that it? Who am I missing? Oooops, Bradley. So three.

Yes, I can see where the MVC is where we want to be.

Does Majerus want those three and four hour bus trips so he can keep on coaching both on the trip there and back? At some point, coach, "leave me alone." No, I think Rick is misguided ==== he is thinking of himself in that category and not of the program. He done here when he's done and I don't want us lost in that mid major purgatory as dneuner has pointed out. Been there. It was the MCC.

My requirement would now be based on LMS ---- Like-Minded Schools. For the most part, urban, (previous) religious affiliation, non-football playing or lower echelon football school, basketball main revenue sport, private institution, collectively "tough" educator.

A10 qualifiers = St. Joseph's, La Salle, Fordham, George Washington, Xavier, Duquesne, Richmond, Charlotte (now -- not shortly with football coming), Duquesne, St. Bonaventure, and Dayton. Total of 11 out of 13 losing Umass and Rhode Island.

MVC Qualifiers = Creighton and Drake. Two? Is that it? Who am I missing? Oooops, Bradley. So three.

Yes, I can see where the MVC is where we want to be.

Does Majerus want those three and four hour bus trips so he can keep on coaching both on the trip there and back? At some point, coach, "leave me alone." No, I think Rick is misguided ==== he is thinking of himself in that category and not of the program. He done here when he's done and I don't want us lost in that mid major purgatory as dneuner has pointed out. Been there. It was the MCC.

Taj, no argument just a couple of questions. Why include Charlotte? It's public with no rel. affl.. Is Richmond private? You also excluded Temple and I don't know if that's right or not.

Taj, no argument just a couple of questions. Why include Charlotte? It's public with no rel. affl.. Is Richmond private? You also excluded Temple and I don't know if that's right or not.

pretty sure temple is a public school. richmond i believe is a private school that was or is afflilated with baptists? not sure on that either.

what we save in "travel expenses" slu has made up in increased student enrollment. 2009-2010 freshmen class biggest yet and entrance credentials going up. must be doing something right to attract the east coast student. but if you want the peoria and murphysboro kids so be it.

To be fair, freshmen enrollment spiked this year because they dropped there admissions standards very slightly to accept more students. Something about wanting a higher enrollment before taking it to the next level for admissions standards. I don't know too much about it beyond that.

Yes, the percentage of students from Missouri is decreasing, but where are they coming from? The next five states are (in order): Illinois, Ohio, Texas, Wisconsin, and Kentucky. I can name a whole lot more students from the west coast than I can from the east coast, but who knows, maybe we are increasing from the east. They must be doing something right in Texas because there are tons of them from there.

Yes, the percentage of students from Missouri is decreasing, but where are they coming from? The next six states are (in order): Illinois, Ohio, Texas, Wisconsin, and Kentucky. I can name a whole lot more students from the west coast than I can from the east coast, but who knows, maybe we are increasing from the east. They must be doing something right in Texas because there are tons of them from there.

Well, Illinois is because of Chicago and Ohio/Texas is because of the Jesuits. But good point.

Yes, the percentage of students from Missouri is decreasing, but where are they coming from? The next six states are (in order): Illinois, Ohio, Texas, Wisconsin, and Kentucky. I can name a whole lot more students from the west coast than I can from the east coast, but who knows, maybe we are increasing from the east. They must be doing something right in Texas because there are tons of them from there.

Well, Illinois is because of Chicago and Ohio/Texas is because of the Jesuits. But good point.