Majerus's comments about moving to MVC

dneuner

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They would though if they were in a league together (We don't have the answer because they haven't played in a league together)

BTW< which team drew the biggest at Chavitz this year? Oh yeah, not Nebraska, it was SIU. Think MO State won't bring a big crowd? They aren't even the top teams in the Valley. Lets say St. Louis was in first playing a first place Creighton - that wouldn't draw fans? Imagine home and home series. Don't think the SIU/SLU rematch would be off the charts because of the push.

I thnk if Fordham was in first place you'd be lucky to draw 6000 fans. Can't wait to see what those figures are this year, we play Fordham on a Wed, and St. Bonnie on a Wednesday. 4000?, 5000?

I guarantee if you had a Bradley/St. Louis match-up you'd have more fans from Bradley show up as well as the casual St. Louis fan than you would for a Lasalle, a Duquenese, a Fordham, a St. Bonnie, etc. Especially if it was in league play (the alumni alone in the St. Louis area not to mention the casual fan they've gained from the MVC Tourney held here)

Again and again - the dreggs of the MVC - Evansville - (new arena on the way) , Ind State - they would double the attendance we currently have when we go on the road and play - St. Bonnie, Lasalle, Duquesne, Fordham & a couple of other A10 teams - You can't argue that.

Look - I love the top A-10 teams. But the league is as only strong as the weak links and unfortunately the A10 has some very feeble programs at the bottom, more so than the MVC.

Finally whats funny is you say

-

" SLU has more interest in Xavier, Dayton, etc"

You specify Xavier and Dayton - yet use etc for the rest. Thats because you know as well as I do, nobody besides those two care about SLU and we don't care about anyone else & that is the problem.

I agree with you. A-10 was colossal blunder. West of the Mississipppi and we join the "Atlantic" 10.

And don't forget those eastern refs... has anyone heard Rammer talk about them? Terrible for a reason.

We get screwed on the road all the time. Who TF are we to come to the EAST from cow town St. Louis?

Do you think we get a fair shake on a Tuesday night in Rhode Island?

You're a moron and a complete joke if you want to compare those areas to St. Louis...you're not even worth arguing with. Most people here have been outside of STL and been to those areas you mention. They are a joke...comparing those areas to STL is like comparing STL to Chicago...give me a break...

Christ people, I was simply educating this slu student who thinks that the MVC towns are all college towns, which 2 maybe 3 are. I enjoy the Saint Louis area.

The MVC towns are mostly midlevel metropolitan areas. Not podunk towns with nothing else to do. Thats all. Moron.

They would though if they were in a league together (We don't have the answer because they haven't played in a league together)

BTW< which team drew the biggest at Chavitz this year? Oh yeah, not Nebraska, it was SIU. Think MO State won't bring a big crowd? They aren't even the top teams in the Valley. Lets say St. Louis was in first playing a first place Creighton - that wouldn't draw fans? Imagine home and home series. Don't think the SIU/SLU rematch would be off the charts because of the push.

I thnk if Fordham was in first place you'd be lucky to draw 6000 fans. Can't wait to see what those figures are this year, we play Fordham on a Wed, and St. Bonnie on a Wednesday. 4000?, 5000?

I guarantee if you had a Bradley/St. Louis match-up you'd have more fans from Bradley show up as well as the casual St. Louis fan than you would for a Lasalle, a Duquenese, a Fordham, a St. Bonnie, etc. Especially if it was in league play (the alumni alone in the St. Louis area not to mention the casual fan they've gained from the MVC Tourney held here)

Again and again - the dreggs of the MVC - Evansville - (new arena on the way) , Ind State - they would double the attendance we currently have when we go on the road and play - St. Bonnie, Lasalle, Duquesne, Fordham & a couple of other A10 teams - You can't argue that.

Look - I love the top A-10 teams. But the league is as only strong as the weak links and unfortunately the A10 has some very feeble programs at the bottom, more so than the MVC.

Finally whats funny is you say

-

" SLU has more interest in Xavier, Dayton, etc"

You specify Xavier and Dayton - yet use etc for the rest. Thats because you know as well as I do, nobody besides those two care about SLU and we don't care about anyone else & that is the problem.

xavier and dayton will once again outdraw both siu and missouri state.

why should we care what evansville or indiana state or fordham or st bonnie average in home attendance? what point does that make about what conference st lous is more suited to be in? that makes absolutely no sense.

as to judging which is the better conference by the level of the worst teams, that is a strange way to look at it. no one is arguing that fordham is not a mess. they are. my gosh they fired their coach in the middle of the season and i dont remember that happening before for any team.

still it is odd you want to look at things from the bottom up. i prefer to look at the best of the two conferences. last year the a-10 had 5 teams in the top 75 the mvc had 3. currently the mvc has 2 teams in the top 75. the a-10 has 6.

if slu wants to be in a league that can provide top competition, of course that would be a bcs conference. currently not one of the big 6 conferences are looking for new members. so the best thing to do is to be in the next best conference and over time that is the a-10 and remains such today. the missouri valley had their day but has since sunk below the a-10 and other conferences.

but if you want to travel to indiana state or evansville to apparently quinch your desire to see their brand of basketball. i dont think anyone is stopping you. have at it. personally if i go to terre haute, i'd just as soon watch the rose-hulman engineers play.

xavier and dayton will once again outdraw both siu and missouri state.

why should we care what evansville or indiana state or fordham or st bonnie average in home attendance? what point does that make about what conference st lous is more suited to be in? that makes absolutely no sense.

as to judging which is the better conference by the level of the worst teams, that is a strange way to look at it. no one is arguing that fordham is not a mess. they are. my gosh they fired their coach in the middle of the season and i dont remember that happening before for any team.

still it is odd you want to look at things from the bottom up. i prefer to look at the best of the two conferences. last year the a-10 had 5 teams in the top 75 the mvc had 3. currently the mvc has 2 teams in the top 75. the a-10 has 6.

if slu wants to be in a league that can provide top competition, of course that would be a bcs conference. currently not one of the big 6 conferences are looking for new members. so the best thing to do is to be in the next best conference and over time that is the a-10 and remains such today. the missouri valley had their day but has since sunk below the a-10 and other conferences.

but if you want to travel to indiana state or evansville to apparently quinch your desire to see their brand of basketball. i dont think anyone is stopping you. have at it. personally if i go to terre haute, i'd just as soon watch the rose-hulman engineers play.

And, when the MVC "had their day," ...as in SIUC being better than they are now, people spoke at both venues by not going in any great way.

This poster with his 4 total posts wants to compare the top couple of MVC teams with the bottom couple of teams in a much larger conference. Nice spin. No sale.

People like Cusumano, leader of the parochials, would probably like to see SLU play UMSL, Fontbonne, Webster, Maryville etc...too. Thankfully, those people don't make the decisions.

And, when the MVC "had their day," ...as in SIUC being better than they are now, people spoke at both venues by not going in any great way.

This poster with his 4 total posts wants to compare the top couple of MVC teams with the bottom couple of teams in a much larger conference. Nice spin. No sale.

People like Cusumano, leader of the parochials, would probably like to see SLU play UMSL, Fontbonne, Webster, Maryville etc...too. Thankfully, those people don't make the decisions.

I thought we got a nice turnout for Harris Stowe last year-with lots of people who would not have gone to a game at Chaifetz unless invited. Hopefully,

some of them are SLU fans now when HS is not playing. We do need a younger crowd-more student deals and some for local highshoolers would really

be smart

I often took a date to BB game in highschool and a couple of times it was SLU at the old Kiel- it was a big time experience for not too much money.

Recently, Billiken Club sent me coupons for 4 games limited to Belmont and someone else and I gave them to a grandson who just graduated highschool

hopefully, he'll use them I invited him to Lorenzini's if he does go

billiken roy, when are you going to answer my post about UNI and Rhode Island? Remember, you claimed that Rhode Island has been so much more successful than UNI over the past five years? I love how some of you pop off about the Valley and how bad it is, then show your ignorance about the teams in the league.

The Valley had a down year last year, but to say it is trending down is ridiculous. It's most definitely on the way up this year.

billiken roy, when are you going to answer my post about UNI and Rhode Island? Remember, you claimed that Rhode Island has been so much more successful than UNI over the past five years? I love how some of you pop off about the Valley and how bad it is, then show your ignorance about the teams in the league.

The Valley had a down year last year, but to say it is trending down is ridiculous. It's most definitely on the way up this year.

:rolleyes:

Okay, we will see. While we wait, get working on that RPI, we know it got you into the tourney in previous years :lol:

you are right i am ignorant of the valley because outside of playing a non conference game each december vs carbondale and southwest missouri state i couldnt care less about them. rhode island has been successful and will have another very good season as well. i admit i know nothing about northern iowa other than i suppose it is located in northern iowa and sucks.

the valley is having such a great year that their conference rpi has the mvc ranked as the 10th toughest conference as opposed to the 9th place ranking last season. somehow that is trending up.

btw, the a-10 is ranked 5th and after their big day yesterday might move even higher.

have a good day.