What to do when CE gets here?

bauman

Assuming that CE is as good as we all are expecting, how do we utilize him? Back-up at the 5 for WR? At the 4 and if so, as a starter or a back-up to BC? At both the 5 and the 4, as needed? Personally, from all I've read and heard, he is a 4 and that happens to be a spot where one of our best players occupies. I can't see removing BC from the starting lineup.

What a great problem to have. Get here quick Cody.

What a great addition just in time for conference play, I hope he reports in shape, I assume he will given his recent time on AUS.'s U-19 team with CS.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming that CE is as good as we all are expecting, how do we utilize him? Back-up at the 5 for WR? At the 4 and if so, as a starter or a back-up to BC? At both the 5 and the 4, as needed? Personally, from all I've read and heard, he is a 4 and that happens to be a spot where one of our best players occupies. I can't see removing BC from the starting lineup.

What a great addition just in time for conference play, I hope he reports in shape, I assume he will given his recent time on AUS.'s U-19 team with CS.

I just think you'll see us run a 3-man forward rotation. Willie will guard the 5 when he's in, while I think Conklin will guard the 5 when Willie is out. I don't think starting will matter, because Willie comes out usually after 3 minutes in and Conklin is often in some sort of foul trouble. Either way, I see 80 minutes at those two positions being shared evenly by those 3 players.

Easy.

1. CE essentially starts instead of Cassity

2. CE rotates in and out, sometimes splits time with WR, sometimes both he and WR play

3. "4" or "5" is pretty much irrelevant issue

4. RM finds out the best combinations, if CE is as good as advertised, we can play with 2 real BIGs + Conklin when neccesary: HUGE upside

Good question. I don't think he will start right away as there will be a period of adjustment. I think the guy who will see fewer minutes is Remekun. My guess is that Cody would play a lot at the 4, but would also play alongside Conklin... so the combo of Reed, Conklin and Cody will see the bulk of the minutes with Remekun and Smith battling it out for what is left. I love seeing the competition for playing time.

Could start him as a big 3 at times, if DAT DUDE can hactually shoot the rock. KM, CS, CE, BC and WR w/ KC getting 40% of the remaining guard/wing minutes and JJ and FJ splitting the rest. JR's out by that time and CR, JON SMIF and CE spell BC and WR down low.

When's the last time we had a big that could really shoot from outside? (Which CE supposedly can) He might have some trouble guarding other team's 3s, depending on matchups, but if it's a fast, lanky Dayton/Xavier/GW type who can't shoot, just sink him in for help and rebounding anyways.

Sounds real good to me, for the next THREE YEARS (and this isn't even taking into consideration the immediate competition that will come from new recruits each year).

no way conklin or ellis could regularly play the small forward spot unless ellis is a hell of a lot better than we have been led to believe. a 6'8" small forward with the ability to guard on the ball small forwards would likely have not gotten away from the top 25 programs even across the pond.

these days with most programs essentially playing three guard lineups it just isnt going to work. especially with rickma's insistance on playing man to man.

i too believe that the three of them would split the lion's share of the 80 minutes for the combined power forward and center positions which would be about 26 minutes a game per player. reed would actually be better suited for that anyway considering his lack of stamina he now shows.

the problem will be keeping smith and remekun happy with that problem. smith has the quicks to guard small forwards but doesnt have the out court skills. remekun just flat out has to be a power forward or a center imo.

as someone else stated, a great problem to have. but it could also be a chemistry killer without the management skills of a coaching staff to get everyone to buy in. it will be interesting to watch play out. this where the redshirting of remekun would have been nice to have happened as originally planned.

From what I've seen on CE (very limited on tape), I can't really see him playing alongside BOTH Willie and Conklin. All the other team would have to do is put in a small line up and we'd get torched. CE can shoot, dribble and post up...but I don't see him have the speed to actually play the 3. Perhaps we may see it in a very limited basis....but I don't think it will be the norm. I see Willie and Conk starting. CE will spell them both as needed and more than likely split the minutes evenly between them. What will be interesting is what happens when Remekun comes on strong and we have 4 potentially excellent players for those minutes.

no way conklin or ellis could regularly play the small forward spot unless ellis is a hell of a lot better than we have been led to believe.

I'm with Roy on this one. There no way Conklin or Ellis slide down and start at the three. Even without having seen Ellis play, I am fairly certain neither one can handle the ball or defend the position well enough.

The addition of Ellis is just going to create more depth and options in the post.

I think one thing everyone is overlooking is that CE has not a single minute, even in practice, of RickMa's offense. I don't think he'll be able to just get off the boat, so to speak, and figure it out. We had at least a couple of players with decent basketball IQs from Brad's day who never did get it; this year, it looks like the team as a whole finally gets it, but they've been at it for five weeks and will have been at it for about nine weeks by the time CE gets here.

I'm thinking his initial job might be spelling Conklin in his role as the "concussion screen" when we bring the ball upcourt. :)

In any event, I'm thinking Coach will incorporate him gradually -- faster than the lesser freshman have been, but still not full use immediately -- maybe even until conference season.

I'm with Roy on this one. There no way Conklin or Ellis slide down and start at the three. Even without having seen Ellis play, I am fairly certain neither one can handle the ball or defend the position well enough.

The addition of Ellis is just going to create more depth and options in the post.

Which is sorely needed. Some of our worst stretches have come when Willie and/or Conk have been out of the game, which is problematic because Willie will be limited in the number of minutes he can go and Conk often gets in foul trouble because he's such a physical player.

When the mythical creature known as Cody Ellis finally arrives,

1) I will personally find Billikenfan05 and dneuner and the three of us will jump up and down like school girls playing ring around the rosie.

2) I will then head down to the St. Louis Zoo, find a kangeroo and kidnap it. It will be given a Billikens jersey and brought to the student section to lead the general excitement and frivolity.

3) I will implore the vendors at Chaifetz to carry Foster's which is now the official drink of the Billikens.

4) I will equip the Blue Crew with boomerangs to use at our leisure against any and all members of the opposition.

5) I will buy a didgeridoo to be blown after every Australian made basket.

On a serious note, I do believe we need a didgeridoo. Billikenfan05, get on it!

I thought the original plan for Conklin was to be a 3 in college. I guess he doesn't have the skill-set for that.

PG KM

SG KC

G CS

PF CE

C WR

Rotate the rest of the guys in with BC being the 6th man.

As to Runnin's point #2, I always thought the Koala was the most Billiken-like of all the animals. I heard they bite too. Grow some eucalyptus at SLU and get one out on the court in a lil' jersey with a harness. Train em like that monkey in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

How about this promo? SLU wins and scores over 60 free bloomin' onion at Outback Steakhouse with your meal with a ticket stub.*

*one per table not to be combined with any other offers, only at select Outback Steakhouse locations in Billiken-Nation

I don't see Ellis being able to start for the first month. He will need to learn the new offense. But who knows, maybe with his father being an ex-pro he has been teaching his son RM's system. Certainly there had to be some discussions between RM and Ellis and his family during this long wait. If he hasn't been in school this fall perhaps he has been working with his Dad or others to be ready to roll when he arrives. I certainly hope so.

Regarding where Ellis plays, I seem to remember some of RM's Utah teams starting three big Mormon kids. And these guys were not necessarily that athletic but they seemed to compete pretty good. If Remeken can be a reasonable back-up I certainly see Ellis, Conklin and Reed playing together, especially with the athletic guards we can put on the floor. I am not saying having Ellis as a 3 will be the norm, but certainly given the match-ups in the A-10 there will be teams that we can use those three in the line-up at once.

We will have a very good situtaion. Now, think about next year, when we actually have a full squad of 13 like most schools. Except next year we will have 13 who can play. In the past SLU would have 13 but half of the players shouldn't have even had a D-1 uniform on. Now we will have 13 deserviing D-1 players. Wow!

I don't see Ellis being able to start for the first month. He will need to learn the new offense. But who knows, maybe with his father being an ex-pro he has been teaching his son RM's system. Certainly there had to be some discussions between RM and Ellis and his family during this long wait. If he hasn't been in school this fall perhaps he has been working with his Dad or others to be ready to roll when he arrives. I certainly hope so.

Regarding where Ellis plays, I seem to remember some of RM's Utah teams starting three big Mormon kids. And these guys were not necessarily that athletic but they seemed to compete pretty good. If Remeken can be a reasonable back-up I certainly see Ellis, Conklin and Reed playing together, especially with the athletic guards we can put on the floor. I am not saying having Ellis as a 3 will be the norm, but certainly given the match-ups in the A-10 there will be teams that we can use those three in the line-up at once.

We will have a very good situtaion. Now, think about next year, when we actually have a full squad of 13 like most schools. Except next year we will have 13 who can play. In the past SLU would have 13 but half of the players shouldn't have even had a D-1 uniform on. Now we will have 13 deserviing D-1 players. Wow!

He'll start 2 weeks after he gets here. It isn't rocket science, and as you say he is son of pro, had one yr since high school in "sports academy"... and RM will definitely "take care of him" since the kid is coming here from Australia, trying to establish a pipeline, etc. No way he sits and and Cassity / Salecich start.

He'll start 2 weeks after he gets here. It isn't rocket science, and as you say he is son of pro, had one yr since high school in "sports academy"... and RM will definitely "take care of him" since the kid is coming here from Australia, trying to establish a pipeline, etc. No way he sits and and Cassity / Salecich start.

I tend to agree with you on this.

He may start, but it certainly won't be at the 3 spot. If he starts, Willie or Conklin won't.

He may start, but it certainly won't be at the 3 spot. If he starts, Willie or Conklin won't.

I would think it would be a game by game basis based on match ups. I would assume Ellis will start eventually, and then bring either Conklin or Reed off the bench as a spark plug.

When they're ready, why not start all three bigs Willie, Conklin (the "3"), Ellis, then guards KM, + maybe Salecich?

Maybe not immediately, but down the road it should be our best if CE is who we think he is...

Of course rotate in and out the three bigs, WR needs a breather more often than Conklin, a lot of the time we'd have only two of them in the game.

Not pushing it, but seems like a lot of posters here always want to go with a middle sized swingman instead of traditional 3 REAL bigs + 2 guards. Hey, we finally might have 3 bigs! Hasn't been an issue before.

Too confusing for the kids? Not IMO.

I don't think we are defensively prepared to play those 3 at the same time for long stretches. Very few college teams seem to play 3 bigs, and on defense I think Conklin or Cody would get burned trying to stick with a faster player. Sure, it would be nice to try to dictate the matchups a little more than usual, but the key to this squad's success this year is going to be its defense, and I think that puts in a bad position defensively.

When they're ready, why not start all three bigs Willie, Conklin (the "3"), Ellis, then guards KM, + maybe Salecich?

Maybe not immediately, but down the road it should be our best if CE is who we think he is...

Of course rotate in and out the three bigs, WR needs a breather more often than Conklin, a lot of the time we'd have only two of them in the game.

Not pushing it, but seems like a lot of posters here always want to go with a middle sized swingman instead of traditional 3 REAL bigs + 2 guards. Hey, we finally might have 3 bigs! Hasn't been an issue before.

Too confusing for the kids? Not IMO.

Name me one team in the country who starts three bigs with success. And I mean real bigs, not g-f. Our best bet is to let ellis get some minutes at the 4 and 5, and my hope is that by the end of the season he has replaced Conklin at the 4.

I think the mystic of Cody Ellis has grown to absurd proportions, proportions that grow proportionately to the number of days from when he was supposed to have been here.

I hope he is half as good as all of you are talking about, but to think he would start the day he arrives is just laughable. He needs to learn the offense/defense. He needs to learn the team. And so on.

I PRAY that Ellis is here ASAP. I think he has the potential to be a great Billiken and, hopefully, an NBA star someday relatively soon, but for the love of Pete and Rick and several other saints, let us just let him arrive stateside before we begin petitioning the Vatican for sainthood!