Wow is all I can say

SLU_Nick

HATE HATE HATE

This game was awesome. A few thoughts.

-Wow, a SLU half court offense can actually work

-RM has recruited a great squad

-Where are the KC haters? He was rock solid with the ball-handling tonight.

I think we need a new prediction thread after this win, what did you say Taj, under 10 wins? You gotta drink the kool-aid baby!

Lets just play all our games at home. Great Crowd and great game!

-Nick

I agree that WOW is the word. This may have been the most complete game I have seen from a Billiken team in years. I have to give this coaching staff huge credit. The difference in this team, particularly the young bigs, between the first exhibition game is very noticeable.

KM was the man and he played a great game, a great floor game and made some big shots. Willie is a true force and his stats do not reflect his full value. It is very hard to shoot over him and he is a real true big time rebounder. As he puts on weight and get a little more experience there is no doubt in my mind that he will be one of the best true centers we have seen in the last 25 years. Brian C was a MAN inside in terms of not getting pushed around, even by much bigger players. He is tough, tough and more tough.

Kyle C and Christian S played with great heart and determination. This Nebraska team was extremely tough and they play excellent defense. Kyle and Christian hung in there and hit some huge shots and made some great passes. They also defended with intensity, not always great but they never ever give up on a play. Kyle, in particular, has improved so much on defense from the beginning of last year that it is amazing.

JJ played well and hit a big 3 and some free throws. He is the best second string point guard we have had in years. In fact, I think this bench may be the highest quality of any in decades, particularly if you consider that they are all freshmen. Femi played much better and fought hard and hit some shots and some free throws. His offense is still a work in process but he is intense and works hard on the defensive end and on the boards. Remeken and Smith gave us really good minutes and Smith is a tremendous shot blocker. They were so much better than two games ago it is hard to believe they are the same guys!

I know better than to get too excited over a single victory and with freshmen we could struggle next game but the coaching staff has done a great job of coaching and the recruiting really looks like it has paid off, maybe even a little sooner than we could have had any reason to expect. We are not great yet but we sure played well at times tonight. Go Bills!!!!!

'Huskers left their PAYSTUBS at home. Billikens definitely brought theirs. Great game. Nice win, should give us what we need heading into this Chicago tournament.

A very solid performance for SLU- a 14 point win over a BCS team. I was able to watch the 2nd Half on Fox Sports Midwest.

This SLU team looked a lot better than all the pundits predicted. I realize it is only 1 game, but hey, that SLU team looked really good tonight. There was good ball movement on offense, great point guard play. There was rock solid defense. And there was the great shot blocker, Willie Reed, controlling the paint on defense and the glass.

Quite frankly, SLU has needed Willie Reed as long as I've been a Billiken fan.

K. Mitchell had 20 points and really ran the show. He penetrates for layups, he kicks out for 3's- solid.

Attendance was 7,500. Great crowd. AWESOME student turn out.

Finally, SLU delivers when we have a great crowd in the stands.

I'm actually encouraged for our future. We looked reaaaaaaaaall gooooooooooooooooood tonight.

Like Billikan said, I hate to get too excited too early, but we could make some noise this year.

Attendance was 7,500. Great crowd. AWESOME student turn out.

Finally, SLU delivers when we have a great crowd in the stands.

I'm actually encouraged for our future. We looked reaaaaaaaaall gooooooooooooooooood tonight.

Like Billikan said, I hate to get too excited too early, but we could make some noise this year.

It is really hard not to get excited when you see this team play pretty darn smart and very hard with no juniors or seniors. The future is bright--an maybe the future will be later this year!

It is really hard not to get excited when you see this team play pretty darn smart and very hard with no juniors or seniors. The future is bright--an maybe the future will be later this year!

A few short comments:

- Great student turnout and they were INTO THE GAME. On their feet most if not all of the time. Wow!

- Later in the 2nd half, Willie comes to the bench and high fives Majerus. Nice to see that there is enthusiasm like that on this team and that Willie is celebrating the team's success with the head coach.

- Justin Love in the house tonight along with Erwin Claggett, Scott Highmark, Troy Robertson, and Corey Frazier. Nice to see the guys at the game, although I know Scott and Troy are at most of the games. Joe Buck was there too in case anyone cares.

- The crowd was really into the game tonight. Seemed like we were playing a top 20 team at times. Makes the atmosphere a lot of fun.

- It is fun to watch opposing players run into Conklin and fall down. I really enjoy that and it happens a lot.

- Jon Smith's arms may extend from baseline to baseline, maybe longer.

- We can definitely shoot the 3 this year. This game should give these guys some confidence in that respect.

- Does anyone know what happened to Nebraska's #21? He got knocked out in the first 10 seconds and did not come back until late in the 2nd half?!?! Way to go Willie.

- Whoever thought up that avocado deal during a time out, I have just one thing to say to you - lay off the meth.

- It has been a long time since I have seen a Billiken team this intense and into the game. This is still going to be a tough season with a lot of mistakes and probably some bad losses, but these guys want to play and they want to WIN - that much is very evident from the way they react after big plays, especially Conklin, Reed, Salecich, and Mitchell.

Hopefully, tonight builds some confidence and carries us into the Chicago tournament and beyond.

This game was so much fun! I have no voice at all right now. The student section was probably the most continuously loud that I have ever heard it be. Usually, we take some time off after a couple of plays, but the main guys who lead the cheers kept everyone in it for almost every single play. Pretty impressive.

Regarding #21, I read in the AP report on ESPN that he broke his tooth. That would probably explain why he looked so hurt! He really looked like a little boy who just was accidentally hit by someone bigger than him, and that he was trying to hold back tears.

I think that it is pretty impressive that these young guys can win against a Big 12 team this early in the year. I know that they were not supposed to be good, but according to the experts, neither are we. The way that we dominated almost the entire game really makes me believe that these Billikids will be able to play with most of the big guys as the season progresses.

I think Johnny Big Time's play was awesome tonight especially on defense! He looked posessed goin up to swat Nebraska!

This all sounds good. Granted, Nebraska wasn't supposed to be any great shakes, but for a young team to handle any BCS team with relative ease is a good sign. Great to hear 7,500 showed up. If we can build on this and get a couple of W's in Chicago maybe we can get a column like Mizzery did and fill the house on their return. Also, a strong student showing for a game that wasn't broadcast on ESPN is encouraging news. All good signs and hopefully CE is on the way stateside in the near future. Didn't hear Reid's name mentioned, did he play?

This all sounds good. Granted, Nebraska wasn't supposed to be any great shakes, but for a young team to handle any BCS team with relative ease is a good sign. Great to hear 7,500 showed up. If we can build on this and get a couple of W's in Chicago maybe we can get a column like Mizzery did and fill the house on their return. Also, a strong student showing for a game that wasn't broadcast on ESPN is encouraging news. All good signs and hopefully CE is on the way stateside in the near future. Didn't hear Reid's name mentioned, did he play?

He got in late, around the 4 minute mark. Just long enough to get a block shot. He was in because Conklin picked up his 4th foul.

Just for a couple of minutes. My best guess would be that they are going to go for a medical red shirt on him and get his foot fixed. Just a guess on my part. :)

To quote the great philosopher Keith Jackson .... "Whoa, Nellie." And maybe "easy now, Big Fella."

Yes, you have to love it and it is nice that we have opened the season with two wins, and yes we did beat a BCS conference team and quite handily and some of "the right stuff" was there but the foibles of youth are that lessons learned are quickly forgotton and one has to reteach, reteach and reteach. But I am certainly happy to be 2 and 0 on the young season with our young team but just prefer to still sit in the "caution" section right now. As Nick noted, I said 10 wins in a previous post ---- I counted this game as a fence-sitter ----- should win but not sure due to the youth. We did win, which gives me hope for later down the road. Some questions appear to have some answers, but those answers are really penciled in --- and rather lightly for even easier erasure. One gane does not a season make. I like it and its on the plus side but it ain't "Katy bar the door" time or "break up the Billikens."

Diaz got cut and had two teeth loosed from running into a Conklin elbow. Eugene Enforcer early season poster shot! Reid has "played" in two regular season games now ---- if they are going to redshirt him, they have to get special dispensation from the NCAA --- maybe they are awaiting the Ellis resolution. I have to look up bunion -- I didn't know it was such a serious issue.

Nothing worked here on the east coast last night --- channelsurfing was an abject failure. I couldn't get Abomb's ESPN radio link to work so I was left with the cavemanesque "Gametracker" to rely on. Oh well. Beating Kennesaw State and Mississippi Valley State are expected now. If we're not 4 and 0 going into Chicago, well, then its a step back. Butler routed Northwestern on the road last night. Iowa State is 5 and 0 counting exhibitions and should be 7 and 0 heading into Chitown. They beat Drake by 20 at Drake Tuesday night and their lowest season output to date is 72 points. All other games they scored 88 points or more. Notre Dame? I don't know who is going to cover Harangody but I'd like to see him and Conklin go at it. I think Conk gets in foul trouble early with the All-American. Northwestern's only loss is to Butler last night.

In year's past, I defined an average team and, for the most part, just being average is winning ALL your games at home, sans maybe if a top 25 team comes in. Even with the youth, we are on target for average. Give it time ---- not too high, not too low.

As an outsider and not a SLU grad/backer I have to say I was pretty impressed with what I saw last night. SLU ran a much better offense than NEB. SLU had excellant spacing and good ball movement. NEB on the other hand was atrocious. No spacing, poor ball movement, lack of rotation of the ball from one side of the court to the other, and a lack of ability to attack the inside. As to individual players, I like CS outside shot and intensity. Reed, Conklin, and KM are a given. I had chalked this one up as a loss for SLU. Count me wrong there.

He got in late, around the 4 minute mark. Just long enough to get a block shot. He was in because Conklin picked up his 4th foul.

Just for a couple of minutes. My best guess would be that they are going to go for a medical red shirt on him and get his foot fixed. Just a guess on my part. :)

They had him in just a little bit in the first half for Femi too.

To quote the great philosopher Keith Jackson .... "Whoa, Nellie." And maybe "easy now, Big Fella."

Yes, you have to love it and it is nice that we have opened the season with two wins, and yes we did beat a BCS conference team and quite handily and some of "the right stuff" was there but the foibles of youth are that lessons learned are quickly forgotton and one has to reteach, reteach and reteach. But I am certainly happy to be 2 and 0 on the young season with our young team but just prefer to still sit in the "caution" section right now. As Nick noted, I said 10 wins in a previous post ---- I counted this game as a fence-sitter ----- should win but not sure due to the youth. We did win, which gives me hope for later down the road. Some questions appear to have some answers, but those answers are really penciled in --- and rather lightly for even easier erasure. One gane does not a season make. I like it and its on the plus side but it ain't "Katy bar the door" time or "break up the Billikens."

Diaz got cut and had two teeth loosed from running into a Conklin elbow. Eugene Enforcer early season poster shot! Reid has "played" in two regular season games now ---- if they are going to redshirt him, they have to get special dispensation from the NCAA --- maybe they are awaiting the Ellis resolution. I have to look up bunion -- I didn't know it was such a serious issue.

Nothing worked here on the east coast last night --- channelsurfing was an abject failure. I couldn't get Abomb's ESPN radio link to work so I was left with the cavemanesque "Gametracker" to rely on. Oh well. Beating Kennesaw State and Mississippi Valley State are expected now. If we're not 4 and 0 going into Chicago, well, then its a step back. Butler routed Northwestern on the road last night. Iowa State is 5 and 0 counting exhibitions and should be 7 and 0 heading into Chitown. They beat Drake by 20 at Drake Tuesday night and their lowest season output to date is 72 points. All other games they scored 88 points or more. Notre Dame? I don't know who is going to cover Harangody but I'd like to see him and Conklin go at it. I think Conk gets in foul trouble early with the All-American. Northwestern's only loss is to Butler last night.

In year's past, I defined an average team and, for the most part, just being average is winning ALL your games at home, sans maybe if a top 25 team comes in. Even with the youth, we are on target for average. Give it time ---- not too high, not too low.

Actually, NE was better off with him out - when he was out they went smaller and that is how they got to within 1 at half time. Their problem in the second half was not that they did not have this guy in it was because our guards took the ball inside - if they had stayed with a taller line up it would have made it easier for us to take good perimeter shots without having to take the ball inside as much.

They had him in just a little bit in the first half for Femi too.

I would probably agree with you on this as long as Smith and CR continue improve. I know JR is not an inside player but he comes in when we have to go smaller and we only have to do that if our inside players are struggling.

Cassity played really well last night, maybe he read the board and got fired up. He was also the subject of the best dialogue I heard all night.

Couple in their 50s sitting behind me:

Man "that number 23 is so cute"

Woman "yeah, his hair is very nice"

Man "he looks like a teddybear"

Woman "I see that"

I almost threw my beer on them, not only didnt they know his name but they referred to him as a teddybear.

Not sure why some people come to the games.

Man "that number 23 is so cute"

Woman "yeah, his hair is very nice"

Man "he looks like a teddybear"

Woman "I see that"

"You should see the hair on his palms, lady, he could mop up an oil spill with those mitts. KYLE CASSITY is interested in running the offense, hustling on defense and slaying teenyboppers in his dorm room. Now shut the f% up."

That would show her. Worst part is the dude initiated the cuddlefest. Couple of swingers, I guess.

From Bernie at the P-D

Very nice win for St. Louis U. and coach Rick Majerus, taking down Nebraska last night at Chaifetz. The Billikens are ridiculously young, all freshmen and sophomores, and they’re going to have a lot of wild, foolish and helpless nights this season. But the Nebraska win did establish something: Majerus is getting talent into SLU, he’s putting together a team, and there is a program in the works. Instant gratification? No. But by next season, when these kids are juniors and sophomores (and with new recruits incoming), Majerus should have something tangible going. This is his third season, and I realize some SLU (and other) fans think St. Louis U basketball should be more advanced by now. Understood. But I think next season will be a more representative barometer of where the program is. Just my opinion.

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/bernies-e...nd-other-takes/

From Bernie at the P-D

Very nice win for St. Louis U. and coach Rick Majerus, taking down Nebraska last night at Chaifetz. The Billikens are ridiculously young, all freshmen and sophomores, and they’re going to have a lot of wild, foolish and helpless nights this season. But the Nebraska win did establish something: Majerus is getting talent into SLU, he’s putting together a team, and there is a program in the works. Instant gratification? No. But by next season, when these kids are juniors and sophomores (and with new recruits incoming), Majerus should have something tangible going. This is his third season, and I realize some SLU (and other) fans think St. Louis U basketball should be more advanced by now. Understood. But I think next season will be a more representative barometer of where the program is. Just my opinion.

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/bernies-e...nd-other-takes/

Woah! Welcome to the Twilight Zone.

there is no denying the shooting of the billikens. anyone can say what they want, but the billikens shot well last night. especially from the 3 point line.

they also made a few more free throws.

now that said, i will wait till december 4th to get real excited. why? well first off imo that was a bad nebraska team. i would take everyone of our guards over the nebraska guards. it appears to me nebraska is in for a long season. second, by december 4th we will have also played iowa state, either notre dame or northwestern and georgia at georgia. if we have one or no losses then, i will be real excited.

salecich's defense was his best effort of the year by far. femi john shot the best i have ever seen him. a gentle roll and he easily scores another 6 or 8 points as his shot looked good.

mitchell was effective everywhere on both ends of the floor. i am still concerned when he isnt in the game. salecich is not the answer imo. i am perplexed why we arent giving the ball to jordan for the few minutes mitchell isnt in the game. he seems better suited to me.

cassity played well. i am glad he made some shots for his own mental well being.

smith had some nice blocks and he is indeed long and athletic, but he still seems to be wandering around the floor. numerous times out of position. but he has big time potential.

next summer, willie, spend the summer training for the marathon. this rest every 3 minute stuff makes me crazy. but willie just keeps getting better and better. and the one thing impressive about willie that few of talk about is his hustle. willie hits the floor as much as anyone on the floor.

i am with alumni fan on the burrito promotion. what the hell were they thinking. might be the biggest fiasco since we tried to set up the drum and bugle corps that one year at a half time and never even got a second of performance in.

biggest disappointment of the night easily the fact that guy phillips was back.

it was fun. we should have two nice stats games with the sunday kennesaw state and the tuesday miss. valley state games.

next summer, willie, spend the summer training for the marathon. this rest every 3 minute stuff makes me crazy. but willie just keeps getting better and better. and the one thing impressive about willie that few of talk about is his hustle. willie hits the floor as much as anyone on the floor.

How is this still happening? Does willie have a medical condition? Love the kid, but I just find it hard to believe that he can't go more than 5 minutes after a year or 2 of conditioning.

there is no denying the shooting of the billikens. anyone can say what they want, but the billikens shot well last night. especially from the 3 point line.

they also made a few more free throws.

now that said, i will wait till december 4th to get real excited. why? well first off imo that was a bad nebraska team. i would take everyone of our guards over the nebraska guards. it appears to me nebraska is in for a long season. second, by december 4th we will have also played iowa state, either notre dame or northwestern and georgia at georgia. if we have one or no losses then, i will be real excited.

salecich's defense was his best effort of the year by far. femi john shot the best i have ever seen him. a gentle roll and he easily scores another 6 or 8 points as his shot looked good.

mitchell was effective everywhere on both ends of the floor. i am still concerned when he isnt in the game. salecich is not the answer imo. i am perplexed why we arent giving the ball to jordan for the few minutes mitchell isnt in the game. he seems better suited to me.

cassity played well. i am glad he made some shots for his own mental well being.

smith had some nice blocks and he is indeed long and athletic, but he still seems to be wandering around the floor. numerous times out of position. but he has big time potential.

i am with alumni fan on the burrito promotion. what the hell were they thinking. might be the biggest fiasco since we tried to set up the drum and bugle corps that one year at a half time and never even got a second of performance in.

biggest disappointment of the night easily the fact that guy phillips was back.

it was fun. we should have two nice stats games with the sunday kennesaw state and the tuesday miss. valley state games.

I haven't seen the game, so I don't know if the soccer rules established by Captain Objective apply here .... but Cassity did not shoot well again. Looks like he played a nice all around game but he didn't shoot the ball well. Yes, he hit a couple of shots, but lets hope shooting 8 to make 2 is a trend that goes away.