Billikens.com Message Board
Pistol

OT: Midtown Development

9 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

Meh. It's good, but not great. Don't like the big open space in the middle, which will likely be under-utilized.

I agree.

11 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Would love it if the administration would focus on the 4 abandoned buildings right on Laclede.

are you talking about by the picklemans - papa johns?  If so, I agree.  I like that they want to develop the area, but still so much in walking distance that needs work.

23 minutes ago, wgstl said:

are you talking about by the picklemans - papa johns?  If so, I agree.  I like that they want to develop the area, but still so much in walking distance that needs work.

I'm talking Humphrey's, Lacledes and the building between lacledes and the loft apartments(if they are still standing)

9 hours ago, brianstl said:

The open spaces in the middle are 100 times better than a setback from the street. 

Totally agree!  However, I’m concerned that it’s all inward facing...almost as if it’s walled off from the community with buildings.  I was expecting (and maybe later renderings will show this) more integration and embrace of the area.

2 hours ago, TheBand said:

Totally agree!  However, I’m concerned that it’s all inward facing...almost as if it’s walled off from the community with buildings.  I was expecting (and maybe later renderings will show this) more integration and embrace of the area.

Look at the planned sketches of the development, does it look like they are planning to charge a low rent for living there? Now look at the surroundings, do you see the railroad tracks,? Can you imagine the noise trains make? Does anyone know how much train traffic goes through those lines? Do you think anyone willing to pay the money they will charge for those apartments will want to enjoy the view of the train tracks? Come on, be reasonable, you can sound insulate the apartments to make them livable despite the noise but you cannot make the train tracks look like Maui. If they want to make money out of this mixed use development, the apartments must look inside where a more or less attractive view can be planned and obtained.