The fans

From Josh's most recent interview.

"It's the fans (that sold me on Kentucky) I guess" - Josh Harrelson on his commitment to Kentucky.

Well, I think that settles that. Let's get off this "little engine that could" BS. If we want to run with the big boys, we need to start acting like them too.

Guest BillikenReport

"It's the fans (that sold me on Kentucky) I guess" - Josh Harrelson on his commitment to Kentucky.

Well, I think that settles that. Let's get off this "little engine that could" BS. If we want to run with the big boys, we need to start acting like them too.

What are the odds Harrellson got the Jesus Shuttlesworth treatment in Lexington?

It starts with this generation of billiken fans. That means Billiken parents need to start dressing their babies in SLU gear and training them to be hardcore fans! it starts with the parents! Wear your billiken gear whenever possible. Promote the name! When you go out of town wear billiken shirts, hats and jackets preferably with the Billiken face. I second your opinion about acting like we're big time

It starts with this generation of billiken fans. That means Billiken parents need to start dressing their babies in SLU gear and training them to be hardcore fans! it starts with the parents! Wear your billiken gear whenever possible. Promote the name! When you go out of town wear billiken shirts, hats and jackets preferably with the Billiken face. I second your opinion about acting like we're big time

I think RM said it best, we have no Billiken Basketball culture. Even when Spoon was here with all of the big crowds, it was a more a Spoon culture and not a SLU culture.

Anyway, part of solving the problem is recognizing you have a problem and I believe with the new facilities and RM we are finally on our way.

I think RM said it best, we have no Billiken Basketball culture. Even when Spoon was here with all of the big crowds, it was a more a Spoon culture and not a SLU culture.

Anyway, part of solving the problem is recognizing you have a problem and I believe with the new facilities and RM we are finally on our way.

I agree ... I've been wrong, being good passionate fans means trashing everyone who doesn't come here ... presuming we know all about them and the decissions they make and they must have been paid to go to school anywhere but SLU.

Good for us ... we're becoming passionate.

I agree ... I've been wrong, being good passionate fans means trashing everyone who doesn't come here ... presuming we know all about them and the decissions they make and they must have been paid to go to school anywhere but SLU.

Yeah lets make it as comfortable as possible for every local kid who chooses not to go to SLU. Man you are on a high horse on this topic. Kids get much worse stuff from other fan bases when they choose not to go to the home school.

Billiken fans tend to be too nice. It has been a problem for a long time.

Wait until he has a bad game and we will see just how much he loves the fans then. Thin line between love and hate.

Kind of hard to have a "Billiken Basketball culture" without the students. 30 die hards makes us look "small time" and "mid major." This will change with the new arena. With a .500 record this year and lack of recent success, the fact that RM has gotten 7 guys (all of whom appear better than anyone Brad has recuited since TL and KL), kid of makes you think how good things might get if we win 22 or more games, start making the Tourney and our complaints turn to "how far we get/don't get in the Tourney."

As to Josh, not that he will listen to, but my advice is "Keep your mouth shut." Your 15 minutes of fame in the St. Louis area is over. You are now a Wildcat and are reduced to footnote status here in St. Louis. I have not read/heard the interview, nor do I want to, but if he is saying/implying that he preferred KY fans over SLU, then simply keep quiet.

Have hinted at this in several posts, but if Josh is going to make public statements criticising Billiken fans, then I'll flat out say it. Everyone I have spoken with in and from St. Charles (who either knows him or knows of him) have said he is not a smart person. In fact, they have used the word "dumb." All actions that I have witnessed only support the same. It's not that picked KY over SLU. Instead, its the process (how he treated WIU, his public efforts to go elsewhere last Spring, his public pleas for help/sympathy recently, his public comments about SLU, his family problems, his comments about Brad's recruiting of him/or lack thereof. Usually, if you are dumb, it is best to keep to keep your mouth shut and allow people to give you the benefit of the doubt. Good riddens.

Who said anything about trashing every kid that doesn't come here? We're letting this kid hear it because he deserved it. When locals don't come here, we don't have to trash them. Let's just not pretend we're happy about it. Perhaps you are, I don't want to speak for you. But, I would guess the majority of us are not happy. When joe from New Jersey turns us down, that is a completely different story.

It's up to the fans of the program to let the area know that SLU is the place to be. Sure, that may get ugly sometimes. But, that's better than acting like a bunch of pu$$ies about it.

Who said anything about trashing every kid that doesn't come here? We're letting this kid hear it because he deserved it. When locals don't come here, we don't have to trash them. Let's just not pretend we're happy about it. Perhaps you are, I don't want to speak for you. But, I would guess the majority of us are not happy. When joe from New Jersey turns us down, that is a completely different story.

It's up to the fans of the program to let the area know that SLU is the place to be. Sure, that may get ugly sometimes. But, that's better than acting like a bunch of pu$$ies about it.

Wait a minute. Everyone has to be fair here. As much frustration, speculation, and disappointment as we've shown here the past few days, does anyone realize how bad the UK boards would be if JH came to SLU? The sky would be falling. So our frustration expressed here doesn't make us small time by any means.

Our comments are not out of line for the most part. It's completely valid. We thought we could have had this kid, and a lot of his public comments and actions gave us good reason to believe so.

Nash, for the record, this is not a response to you as much as it is others. I agree with you on this one.

Billiken fans tend to be too nice. It has been a problem for a long time.

I agree, Billiken fans are way too nice. We just don't seem intimidating when we play other teams.

Here's what should happen:

We should get rid of the bunny rabbit Billiken...

Posted Image

and go back to the more dangerous looking mascot with the crooked crown...

Posted Image

(that's not a very good version of the old billiken, but he's out there...slu used to sell chemistry tee shirts with the old billiken on it at the end of the 1990s)

We need to change the face of this university (literally. no pun intended) so that we seem more competitive/dangerous, athletically.

OR

if the university keeps trying to make the Billiken look more and more like a rabbit, we should really embrace it and make it look like one of these scary rabbits:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yeah, Alonzo, the Billiken with the crooked crown was the best. I'd like to see that show up in the bookstore on some gear.

As I head out of work for the Kentucky Oaks today, for the always controversial Friday tradition, I have a nice little female heartbreaker:

Posted Image

"What's the matter? Some little filly break your heart?"

"Naw, it was a girl."

Kind of hard to have a "Billiken Basketball culture" without the students. 30 die hards makes us look "small time" and "mid major." This will change with the new arena.

Old Dominion has a beautiful new arena. They are still small time and mid-major. You have to win a lot of games over a long period and make regular NCAA appearances to change the basketball culture. Gonzaga's basketball culture changed before they ever got a new arena because they won at a ridiculous rate.

How the arena really helps is breaking the tie with a recruit against a mid-major program that doesn't have modern facilities. Take Tre Lee, the 2009 guard out of Virginia that we've offered, for example. Recently George Mason has been showing a lot of interest. If we can get him in here for a visit I think our much snazzier facilities could help close the deal. But if Virginia offers chances are we're screwed.

What are the odds Harrellson got the Jesus Shuttlesworth treatment in Lexington?

Gotta love this reference. I know that this doesn't occur at every university, but to say that it does not happen at all, anyone who thinks that is just plain kidding themselves. By the way, how in the world, even if you tried, could you come up with that name for a character?

It starts with this generation of billiken fans. That means Billiken parents need to start dressing their babies in SLU gear and training them to be hardcore fans! it starts with the parents! Wear your billiken gear whenever possible.

I'm working on it. Baby has a "Little Billiken" outfit that we're waiting for her to grow into. We have a Billiken flag for the house as well.

I'm working on it. Baby has a "Little Billiken" outfit that we're waiting for her to grow into. We have a Billiken flag for the house as well.

Box, did you and the wifey have the baby? If so, congrats. hope everyone is doing well.

Box, did you and the wifey have the baby? If so, congrats. hope everyone is doing well.

We did - a baby girl - thanks! She and Mrs. Box are both doing very well.

She was originally due on the day of the SLU-Duquesne game, and I was looking forward to watching her first Billiken game with her. Fortunately, she was late, as she would have learned lots of expletives that day.

I recommend buying the Billiken Stuffed Doll. I also had SLU cheerleading outfits for the girls but there are no more SLU cheerleaders. Those were the days.k

As I've said before, I've got pics of the kids with the one and only SLU Sign Guy. I look at it each time I post.