Thorpe to UWGb

brianstl

1 hour ago, Billiken Rich said:

Blue font it man..........if you were serious, it would not be the most depressing or venomous thing you've posted to this board in the last year........

Don’t be mean 

Are we just sweeping that loss at home under the rug?

Don't make light of it. It was the worst loss in the history of Billikens basketball. Heads should have rolled. 

Outside of a sweet sixteen and multiple NCAA berths in a row, there is no way Ford can ever redeem himself. Its sad that we are just playing out the string this season, hoping to be a .500 team while waiting for a donor to step up and buyout Ford's contract.

2 hours ago, thetorch said:

Are we just sweeping that loss at home under the rug?

Don't make light of it. It was the worst loss in the history of Billikens basketball. Heads should have rolled. 

Outside of a sweet sixteen and multiple NCAA berths in a row, there is no way Ford can ever redeem himself. Its sad that we are just playing out the string this season, hoping to be a .500 team while waiting for a donor to step up and buyout Ford's contract.

Not sweeping it under the rug at all.  It was the worst loss in recent memory.  That and Thorpe's hiring do not make much difference to in recruiting Saint Louis.  By the way SLU losing to UMSL was way worse in the 80's.  At least SIUE is division 1........

Just now, willie said:

Holding the record for the fewest points scored has to rank in there somewhere. 

This will always be #1.  Teams lose to bad teams all the time. But to hold an NCAA record for lowest points is clear and away the worst thing ever. 

Zink and rgbilliken like this

24 minutes ago, willie said:

Holding the record for the fewest points scored has to rank in there somewhere. 

-I don't care about that one as much as it seems others do but I think likely a record that won't be broken unless big rule changes happen

-recency bias included, SIUE loss was really, really bad

2 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

Losing to Tennessee-Martin my sophomore year of college was a tough way to start a season.

After hearing Brad's pregame interview on the radio while heading to the game that night, I knew we would lose that one.  You could just tell by the tone of his voice and how he was talking about how tough they were.  It did not sound like a coach who was about to play a buy game.  

We finished really strong that season, playing our way onto the bubble after winning eight in a row at the end and losing to UAB by one point in the conference tourney. 

Win the UT-Martin game, UAB, and one of the two nail-biters against Marquette and we probably make the tournament that year.  So frustrating.

brianstl likes this

2 hours ago, Box and Won said:

After hearing Brad's pregame interview on the radio while heading to the game that night, I knew we would lose that one.  You could just tell by the tone of his voice and how he was talking about how tough they were.  It did not sound like a coach who was about to play a buy game.  

We finished really strong that season, playing our way onto the bubble after winning eight in a row at the end and losing to UAB by one point in the conference tourney. 

Win the UT-Martin game, UAB, and one of the two nail-biters against Marquette and we probably make the tournament that year.  So frustrating.

I had no idea about the pregame, it’s funny you picked up on that on your way to the game (or sad haha). For sure, that team was certainly playing like a tournament level team by the end of the season. Frustrating it took us so long to get going, that was a tough team with a true star in Marque.

96-97 Season we lost to UMKC at home by 21 points. That was pretty bad.

As long as we're just commiserating over past trauma....

On 8/3/2023 at 9:28 AM, Taj79 said:

Sorry ..... 20 point game at Geedubya.  And me and Nick were there.  Dying in person.

I remember all of the calls to fire Majerus and go div III after that debacle.  I think every one will agree that that was the beginning of the end of coach Majerus' time here.