Conference Schedule Is Out

Pistol

The fact that we're only playing Xavier once is a load of bull.

While its Xavier only once, I'll take GeeDub, YouDee and Umass as the home-and-home. Could have been a lot worse. Right now, I'm penciling in trips to DC, Philly (twice) and the AC. Maybe I'll even do Richmond --- its a Sunday game. trying to firm up Pittsburgh for the exempt tournament as well.

While its Xavier only once, I'll take GeeDub, YouDee and Umass as the home-and-home. Could have been a lot worse. Right now, I'm penciling in trips to DC, Philly (twice) and the AC. Maybe I'll even do Richmond --- its a Sunday game. trying to firm up Pittsburgh for the exempt tournament as well.

:blink:

Interesting things I noticed about the conference portion.

We have 4 games on Thursday nights and only 3 on Wednesdays. We have 6 Saturday games and 3 Sunday games. Ceertainly more variability than the Wed/Sat schedule we've mostly had the last few years.

Also surpised how late the regular season goes. Last game is the weekend of March 8-9 which means the conference tourney will end on the 15 and the first NCAA weekend won't begin until the 20th.

The break could be good could be bad. If we are banged up from the Non-Con Schedule it will be good. If we are rolling it could kill some momentum.

I think the conference schedule is very favorable to us as we get some of the best teams at Home. I'm pumped up.

I agree about the break - could be a blessing if we are injured or struggling with Rick's new system. Interesting that we are only playing 1 exhibition game. I wonder if that is enough to get us ready?

We have a scrimmage at Memphis instead of the other exhibition game. I think we will get a lot more out of that than we would playing a lower level team.

We have a scrimmage at Memphis instead of the other exhibition game. I think we will get a lot more out of that than we would playing a lower level team.

memphis is loaded. it might take months to recover from that beating. the thought of luke meyer guarding joey dorsey gives me bruises and body aches. lisch gets the pleasure of getting to guard the best freshman point guard for the second year in a row. i am thankful that game wont be available in any form to the public. of course we also wont get the pleasure of watching one of the worst floor coaches in america squandering his tremendous talent advantage.

memphis is loaded. it might take months to recover from that beating. the thought of luke meyer guarding joey dorsey gives me bruises and body aches. lisch gets the pleasure of getting to guard the best freshman point guard for the second year in a row. i am thankful that game wont be available in any form to the public. of course we also wont get the pleasure of watching one of the worst floor coaches in america squandering his tremendous talent advantage.

Rickma will know exactly what kind of team he has after that scrimmage and it won't go down as a loss. This is the best thing thing that could happen in Majerus's first year. He will know before we ever play a talented team in a game exactly what this team's weeknesses will be.

Rickma will know exactly what kind of team he has after that scrimmage and it won't go down as a loss. This is the best thing thing that could happen in Majerus's first year. He will know before we ever play a talented team in a game exactly what this team's weeknesses will be.

not sure i see your prespective on this one. take the tx a&m game last year. other than a demoralizing a$$ beating, not sure what we got out of that. most of the billikens got out of their selves and played beneath themselves to the point of regression. this will be worse. imo, if memphis had a majerus to coach them, i would pick them to win it all. but calipari will keep them competitive and not let them run away with it.

i am not sure what this "scrimmage" stuff is for, but i would rather they "scrimmage" vs a more competitive scenario than one of the top ten teams. at least since no one will see it, we dont have to hear about how the billikens showed blah blah blah like we did from the casual fans after a&m or north carolina last year.

not sure i see your prespective on this one. take the tx a&m game last year. other than a demoralizing a$$ beating, not sure what we got out of that. most of the billikens got out of their selves and played beneath themselves to the point of regression. this will be worse. imo, if memphis had a majerus to coach them, i would pick them to win it all. but calipari will keep them competitive and not let them run away with it.

i am not sure what this "scrimmage" stuff is for, but i would rather they "scrimmage" vs a more competitive scenario than one of the top ten teams. at least since no one will see it, we dont have to hear about how the billikens showed blah blah blah like we did from the casual fans after a&m or north carolina last year.

So, I guess you're not expecting much out of this years team?

I'm not expecting a win. But i'm not ready to throw the team under the bus yet.

Roy it is good because he will know exactly what kind of team he has right away. He will know what areas he will have to work on right away. He can watch all the tape he wants to and pratice this team all he wants to, but until he can see this team run his sytems against really a good team he won't know what he has.

As for the A&M game last year we won five out of six right after that game. The only loss was at SIU. I don't think that game crippled us.

So, I guess you're not expecting much out of this years team?

I'm not expecting a win. But i'm not ready to throw the team under the bus yet.

there is a big difference between the team that i think has the best talent in america and say a top 40 team which is what i think the billikens can be.

if you are saying you think the billikens have memphis, ucla, or north carolina talent now, well, they say i am a kool aid drinker but i dont apparently drink it at your pace!

:-)

imo, typically the top 5-10 teams in america are in a class by themselves. they will stumble a couple of times a year but for the most part, these teams are on another planet talentwise. the next 70-80 teams are far more equal and the "any given day" line can apply. the billikens are imo smack dab in the middle of that second group. memphis leads the class of the first group. that doesnt mean i am throwing them under the bus. that just means we physically dont match up to the tigers this year.

i would love to be proven wrong on that.

Roy it is good because he will know exactly what kind of team he has right away. He will know what areas he will have to work on right away. He can watch all the tape he wants to and pratice this team all he wants to, but until he can see this team run his sytems against really a good team he won't know what he has.

As for the A&M game last year we won five out of six right after that game. The only loss was at SIU. I don't think that game crippled us.

The games that crippled us were losses to SBU and DU. I don't think we ever recovered from that. Not the players, coaches or fans.

there is a big difference between the team that i think has the best talent in america and say a top 40 team which is what i think the billikens can be.

if you are saying you think the billikens have memphis, ucla, or north carolina talent now, well, they say i am a kool aid drinker but i dont apparently drink it at your pace!

imo, typically the top 5-10 teams in america are in a class by themselves. they will stumble a couple of times a year but for the most part, these teams are on another planet talentwise. the next 70-80 teams are far more equal and the "any given day" line can apply. the billikens are imo smack dab in the middle of that second group. memphis leads the class of the first group. that doesnt mean i am throwing them under the bus. that just means we physically dont match up to the tigers this year.

So should we not play those "top ten" teams? It is a scrimmage against a very good team. A loss won't hurt us at all. I see no down side to playing this game.

Seriously, what's the harm in playing top-tier talent in a scrimmage? You get better playing good competition, not Maryville University. You can also get a much better idea of what kind of team you've got by playing a Memphis instead of a Maryville or Truman State. I only wish we could see this game.

Seriously, what's the harm in playing top-tier talent in a scrimmage? You get better playing good competition, not Maryville University. You can also get a much better idea of what kind of team you've got by playing a Memphis instead of a Maryville or Truman State. I only wish we could see this game.

i think a "scrimmage" vs say a mid tiered acc or big east school would be more productive, but i do agree if my choice is a closed door track meet with memphis or ucla or north carolina vs another exhibition vs rankin tech, i agree, let's play memphis behind closed doors.

the only part of your statement sshoe i dont agree with is "I only wish we could see this game." i think it would do nothing but stir up the anti billiken crowd.

for example, there was no doubt we matched unc pretty well the first half of our game last year. but the second half was a route because we just didnt have the horses to stay with them. you dont hear any casual area fans saying that do you? what you hear is about the blow out slu suffered to north carolina and the proof we just werent any good.

I agree that Memphis is in a league of it's own as far as talent. However, I think the any given day can apply here. Appalachian State just beat Michigan. MTSU just about pulled it off agains Louisville last night. Bradley can make the sweet 16. Last year Georgetown lost to Old Dominion. I think we have enough talent and heart on this team that we will be able to hang in this game. Honestly, if we get beat by the same margin that A&M beat us by last year, I will be HIGHLY disappointed.

I'm in total agreement with Brian that this is a great gauge for RM. Let's put us up against the best of the best. See how we fare. It will show our glaring weakness. If we get blown out, well, RM knows how to temper expectations. It's like testing an automobile or an airplane engine. You put it through the gauntlet. If it survives, it can survive anything.

Maybe. But what if goes the other way? What if it's a close game and it ignites the casual fan's interest, and the home opener has 15,000 folks instead of the standard 8,000?

Roy, I may need to prescribe an extra serving of the blue kool-aid.

Brian - good point about the scrimmage - I had forgotten about that being set up. I am also glad it is a scrimmage and not a game so both sides can work on things they want to accomplish this year without public scrutiny or fan expectations. I agree - win/win for both teams.

Here's why I'd want to see the game.

I don't think we have anyone that can guard him. Maybe Kevin AND Dwayne.

I'm most concerned about the 11 day break between non conference and conference schedule. That is much too long of a period to wait in between games.

I noticed from 12/19/07 (when we play Loyola) till 1/10/08 (when we play GW) we have only one game and that is against IUPUI on the 12/29/07. Other then those initial 2 games in Pittsburgh, one of our least challenging games. So that is almost a month of no games.

If they have a question and answer session at next Friday's luncheon at the MAC, I be curious what RM's opinion is about that.