OT: Midtown Development

Pistol

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

slightly south, in TGE:

Van Goghz has been hosting a film crew all week --right near my house, so I've been going by there every single day -- !! --and if any other south city folks were wondering, here's why:

http://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/television/gail-pennington/bar-rescue-team-in-town-this-week/article_152f8aed-646e-5a50-9a8b-1c7ea40fbe60.html

• 4 weeks later...

And the rumored City Target on the south side of Forest Parkway may also be closer to fruition.

http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/news/2015/10/16/pace-raises-1-3-million-for-project-next-to-ikea.html

pacemidtown*750xx637-358-0-0.jpg

Cortex has purchased the property. This is good news, IMO, as they'll look to build a higher-density development as compared to what Pace Properties was proposing.

^

Looks great. I love the fact that it will have retail on Sarah. I believe a new gastropub opened in the old 6 North space across the street, and this project is also in the works a few blocks away at Sarah and West Pine: http://nextstl.com/2015/10/townhomes-proposed-for-vacant-central-west-end-lot-on-sarah-street/

Nice looking project. Would be a good spot for Willie.

Good to see condo development get moving again. With all the new apartment construction going on, one has to think that an oversupply of rentals will occur sooner or later. Now we just need some more retail around there. City Target anyone?

Gerhart block is a game changer imo. It'll be great to finally have a strip of small retail near SLU. hopefully some good diversity is on those leases

It would be nice to see the self-storage place on the other side of Laclede redeveloped at some point, either rehabbed or replaced with new construction.

It would be nice to see the self-storage place on the other side of Laclede redeveloped at some point, either rehabbed or replaced with new construction.

I like what they did with the U-haul storage place right off 64/40. But the one off 44 and Kingshighway is an eyesore.

I think I heard at some point, SLU is gaining ownership or perhaps leasing that space in the near future -- as a new storage facility for the main Library --or did I dream that?? There are also a few vacant spaces still on Laclede and one or 2 opening on Pine. I wonder who owns that stately old mansion directly east of Cafe Ventana? Seems like there has rehab on it, off and on (mostly off), since I came here in the Clinton administration... All that stuff is within 2-3 blocks of my office, so I'm happy to see more commercial development, with all the new housing. West Pine is no longer a 24/7 scary ghosttown area ripe for muggings...

I think I heard at some point, SLU is gaining ownership or perhaps leasing that space in the near future -- as a new storage facility for the main Library --or did I dream that?? There are also a few vacant spaces still on Laclede and one or 2 opening on Pine. I wonder who owns that stately old mansion directly east of Cafe Ventana? Seems like there has rehab on it, off and on (mostly off), since I came here in the Clinton administration... All that stuff is within 2-3 blocks of my office, so I'm happy to see more commercial development, with all the new housing. West Pine is no longer a 24/7 scary ghosttown area ripe for muggings...

That would be great for Pius -- physical storage as well as digital storage - minus the Vatican Archives, which would no doubt remain housed on-site. I hadn't heard rumors about that either, but one can dream, right?!

Not 100% certain but I heard a couple months back that the old mansion is owned by a law firm. Don't take that as gospel but I believe that is what a couple guys who were towed from the adjoining lot had told me.

The Building at 44 and Kingshighway used to look much better.

2.American-Stove-Exterior.jpg

The Building at 44 and Kingshighway used to look much better.

2.American-Stove-Exterior.jpg

Yes, the Art Museum had (still has) a special exhibit in Modernism in St. Louis. A prime part of this was the modern architecture built between 1928 and 1968. Those were the days when St. Louis was at the cutting edge. Anyway, this particular building was presented in a lecture as one of the modern architectural jewels in St. Louis. Fortunately it has not been demolished, unfortunately the company that owned it went under and after a string of owners it is now owned by a U Haul facility. Oh how low have the mighty fallen!... It is still a beautiful piece of architectural art.

At one point he had planned to put an Italian restaurant in that old house, but I guess he never went forward with it.

And us really old farts remember that it housed a bar/restaurant called Harpo's (really) in the late 1970s.

Several projects over there never really got off the ground, including the rehab of the Playboy Club into a brewpub for Cathedral Square. (Seems to me like the Playboy Club did reopen as a restaurant for about 5 minutes a few years ago. Did anything else ever go in?)

And us really old farts remember that it housed a bar/restaurant called Harpo's (really) in the late 1970s.

Several projects over there never really got off the ground, including the rehab of the Playboy Club into a brewpub for Cathedral Square. (Seems to me like the Playboy Club did reopen as a restaurant for about 5 minutes a few years ago. Did anything else ever go in?)

Wasn't Kearby's in the old Playboy Club on the corner of Lindell and Vandeventer? Or am I thinking of something else?

Wasn't Kearby's in the old Playboy Club on the corner of Lindell and Vandeventer? Or am I thinking of something else?

That's correct Bobby. Don't think it lasted very long but we did go there a few times while in school. I'm not sure it was a restaurant...more of another spot to go for underage drinking.

That's correct Bobby. Don't think it lasted very long but we did go there a few times while in school. I'm not sure it was a restaurant...more of another spot to go for underage drinking.

I believe they had an all you can drink deal on a weekend night. Good times.