Recruiting - 2016

All this talk about trainers, parents, hometown, etc. Supposedly, JT's the next LeBron no matter if he goes to Rockhurst or SIUE. The NBA's already got there eyes on him and see him as a future star. So, where he spends that one year is not important to them. It's important to him. Where that is, who knows?

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the documentary, titled "Carmelo: Made in New York," Anthony talks in detail about how strongly he considered signing with the Bulls.

"It came down to Chicago and New York. Chicago was the one that, from Day One, was something that I was very impressed with. They was looking for a person like me to come in and just take them to the next level," Anthony said. "So it was perfect. It was a perfect setup, perfect fit for me in Chicago. But then also I had to think about just living in Chicago. Do I want to live in Chicago? Do I want to take everything that I created in New York and move all of that? It came down to that."

Tatum will not leave what he's building in STL

not to rain on your parade but if that logic is guiding him he's still moving away a year later unless Hawks move back here.

How did I miss you point? If he goes to Kentucky, he will still work out with Hanlen (who currently trains out of town players such as Beal, David Lee, John Wall, etc. So he would not be losing his trainer. I have not seen anything to suggest that Tatum trains with Hughes. Any weightlifting and nutrition programs he has here would be even better at a place like UK.

If you had a son would you rather him play in the Bonner League or in a combine that UK puts on in front of lots of NBA execs?

You might be right Im not suggesting I really know these things but it seems iffy from what I understand.

Let's try it again. Just b/c some coach or trainer at a school like UK or KU is "better" doesn't mean the player is better off. Different styles and methods exist. There is a definite advantage to have the same coach/trainer -- continuity. New distractions, losing focus and bad habits are a bigger risk to Tatum's goal of the NBA than any marginal benefit (assuming there is one) of "better" coaches and trainers. Now, if a kid walks onto campus the end of July and plays with the team thru March before announcing their eligibility for the NBA draft, then I'd suggest that eight (8) months is really not long enough to take advantage of the "better" programs offered by UK, KU or any other school - including SLU - when you also factor into the equation that the kid will be a full-time student and play over 30 college games. Over the course of 4 years? Absolutely. Over the 8 month school year? not so much. Instead, continuity during thru high school, thru the summer and up to the start of school, in his home town with family, friends and support group might sure outweigh the bright lights of the blue bloods. Not my call to make.

Would a kid like Tatum excel during these 8 months at UK playing against top level talent? Sure. Could a kid like Tatum get lost among the 9 or 10 other McDonald All-Americans and be better served by being the team's focus at a school like SLU? Sure.

And as for the UK combine, here's an article. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fespn.go.com%2Fmens-college-basketball%2Fstory%2F_%2Fid%2F11494056%2Fjohn-calipari-putting-together-two-day-nba-combine-kentucky-wildcats-players&ei=0tl_VN-QCcumyATftIDYCg&usg=AFQjCNGtMs8vM6gzZh_1PHCcoejnk8HAsw

Would not Tatum do better showcasing his skills later in the year rather than in October? Sounds more like a way to avoid distractions at practice than anything else. And isn't the real point of a showcase -- especially early in the year - to get noticed? Believe Tatum has already done that. And, of course, the Bonner League is during the summer -- not the school year. Between all of SLU's games and practices, the NBA scouts will find a time to watch Tatum without a showcase. See Larry Hughes.

And yes, I am not aware of Larry Hughes training Tatum - just threw it out as a possibility.

Let's try it again. Just b/c some coach or trainer at a school like UK or KU is "better" doesn't mean the player is better off. Different styles and methods exist. There is a definite advantage to have the same coach/trainer -- continuity. New distractions, losing focus and bad habits are a bigger risk to Tatum's goal of the NBA than any marginal benefit (assuming there is one) of "better" coaches and trainers. Now, if a kid walks onto campus the end of July and plays with the team thru March before announcing their eligibility for the NBA draft, then I'd suggest that eight (8) months is really not long enough to take advantage of the "better" programs offered by UK, KU or any other school - including SLU - when you also factor into the equation that the kid will be a full-time student and play over 30 college games. Over the course of 4 years? Absolutely. Over the 8 month school year? not so much. Instead, continuity during thru high school, thru the summer and up to the start of school, in his home town with family, friends and support group might sure outweigh the bright lights of the blue bloods. Not my call to make.

Would a kid like Tatum excel during these 8 months at UK playing against top level talent? Sure. Could a kid like Tatum get lost among the 9 or 10 other McDonald All-Americans and be better served by being the team's focus at a school like SLU? Sure.

And as for the UK combine, here's an article. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fespn.go.com%2Fmens-college-basketball%2Fstory%2F_%2Fid%2F11494056%2Fjohn-calipari-putting-together-two-day-nba-combine-kentucky-wildcats-players&ei=0tl_VN-QCcumyATftIDYCg&usg=AFQjCNGtMs8vM6gzZh_1PHCcoejnk8HAsw

Would not Tatum do better showcasing his skills later in the year rather than in October? Sounds more like a way to avoid distractions at practice than anything else. And isn't the real point of a showcase -- especially early in the year - to get noticed? Believe Tatum has already done that. And, of course, the Bonner League is during the summer -- not the school year. Between all of SLU's games and practices, the NBA scouts will find a time to watch Tatum without a showcase. See Larry Hughes.

And yes, I am not aware of Larry Hughes training Tatum - just threw it out as a possibility.

Definitely an interesting concept to consider. I hope Tatum proves to be a case study of how a player can go from playing at a school like SLU to becoming the first pick in the NBA draft.

And I hope not to misrepresent myself. At the end of the day, I think Tatum could get about the same exposure and development at almost any school he attended.

Just watched Chaminade play Cardinal Ritter. Tatum could do anything anytime he wanted to but looked disinterested. Cook and Gladson did not look good even though they were playing a much smaller team. I expected more from them. Tatum is really thin but, he seems like a man playing against boys. He would look good playing guard on the same team with Yarbrough and Agbeko in the front court.

-FBJT scored 40 in an OT win

-a shame for Gladsen, plays with coverings on both knees and while he has added bulk he seemed limited in his speed/movement, he is only a junior so hopefully he can rehab and improve

-Tyler Cook rebounded well, a monster slam and one of the probably 5 technicals called against players in the game

-one great sequence in the second half, FBJT rocks one, a kid from Ritter returns the favor on the ensuing possession, Tyler Cook matches on the next possession, Chaminade steal and a kid tries to make it 4 slams in a row but got it blocked and fouled, this all happened in about 20 seconds, great action for a high school game

-Jamal Walker, Matt Painter and Bruce Weber were there, I guess to enjoy a very good early December basketball game

I didn't know any other board members were going to be at the game tonight.

Ritter was getting blown out in the first half. Chaminade was up double digits at half in a very slow paced game.

Neals changed the game plan against Tatum and it nearly worked. Ritter played defense inside Tatum's jersey, creating several turnovers, drawing fouls and even able to get Tatum to get Teed up. Ritter got in Tatum's head and almost stole the game. He was pretty rattled and still managed to drop 40.

Tatum only hit a couple 3s, most of his points were on dunks. He handled the ball most of the game. He dominated absolutely and didn't break a sweat for most of it. He did have a hard time being the full time pg, but Ritter is coached very well and has a strong stable of guards.

I like Cook but I think he is overrated. Undersized and I didn't see the upgrade in athleticism that was reported over the summer. On one play he tried to one hand dunk under the basket and couldn't the ball over the rim, not once, but twice. He's a top 300 player not a top 75,

Gladson can barely walk. Its a shame as he was more skilled than Cook as a freshman.

We should consider making a board outing to one of his games, maybe getting some of the SLUnatics involved. Seeing a few dozen people decked out in Billiken Blue couldn't hurt our chances.

I didn't know any other board members were going to be at the game tonight.

Ritter was getting blown out in the first half. Chaminade was up double digits at half in a very slow paced game.

Neals changed the game plan against Tatum and it nearly worked. Ritter played defense inside Tatum's jersey, creating several turnovers, drawing fouls and even able to get Tatum to get Teed up. Ritter got in Tatum's head and almost stole the game. He was pretty rattled and still managed to drop 40.

Tatum only hit a couple 3s, most of his points were on dunks. He handled the ball most of the game. He dominated absolutely and didn't break a sweat for most of it. He did have a hard time being the full time pg, but Ritter is coached very well and has a strong stable of guards.

I like Cook but I think he is overrated. Undersized and I didn't see the upgrade in athleticism that was reported over the summer. On one play he tried to one hand dunk under the basket and couldn't the ball over the rim, not once, but twice. He's a top 300 player not a top 75,

Gladson can barely walk. Its a shame as he was more skilled than Cook as a freshman.

We should consider making a board outing to one of his games, maybe getting some of the SLUnatics involved. Seeing a few dozen people decked out in Billiken Blue couldn't hurt our chances.

How did Chaminade's freshman look? Did he play? What about Mike Lewis?

Hopefully Gladson can rehab. I'm sure it takes some people a while to recover from two knee surgeries. Your comments about Cook don't surprise me too much. I've never been blown away by his game. But he could definitely develop. He has good hands and feet.

Definitely an interesting concept to consider. I hope Tatum proves to be a case study of how a player can go from playing at a school like SLU to becoming the first pick in the NBA draft.

And I hope not to misrepresent myself. At the end of the day, I think Tatum could get about the same exposure and development at almost any school he attended.

Hypothetical: If Tatum committed to SLU today, would we start getting big time early season tourney invites? Would better schools be calling to schedule us?

Hypothetical: If Tatum committed to SLU today, would we start getting big time early season tourney invites? Would better schools be calling to schedule us?

-tv will dictate, if ESPN or some other network wants a game, can find a sponsor, it will happen

How did Chaminade's freshman look? Did he play? What about Mike Lewis?

Hopefully Gladson can rehab. I'm sure it takes some people a while to recover from two knee surgeries. Your comments about Cook don't surprise me too much. I've never been blown away by his game. But he could definitely develop. He has good hands and feet.

I was focused on Tatum and Cook for the most part. Lewis had an awful game, scored no points in regulation. Did have 5 in OT though, hitting a go 3 and a layup.

I was focused on Tatum and Cook for the most part. Lewis had an awful game, scored no points in regulation. Did have 5 in OT though, hitting a go 3 and a layup.

Mike Lewis had a pretty bad game. He really struggled against the defensive pressure from Ritter. He does not appear to have the quickness or handles to play the point, so he is an undersized scoring guard at the next level, but does not look like an elite scorer to me.

Will Gladson and Reggie Crawford are still working their way back from injuries, so Chaminade enters the season at less than full strength. I question just how close to full strength Gladson will ever get. He has definitely added upper body strength, but really struggled to move with any fluidity. He has a good skillset for his size, so I hope he can get his mobility back.

Cook looks like a completely different player physically, but he is still limited athletically and lacks skill. I don't see him as a top 75 type player at this point, but I could be wrong and his struggles could be a function of not going up against true bigs. Seems slow to react to missed shots allowing quicker guys to steal rebounds and did not get position in the paint very often (Chaminade also did not seem to really look to get him the ball). He caught the ball outside of the lane a few times and looked to go to the rim off of the dribble and it often resulted in a TO. He looked very average last night.

Tatum exhibited some concerning things from a maturity standpoint last night (probably not surprising considering his father). Ritter definitely rattled him and he spent considerable time jawing with Ritter players, complaining to refs, and pissed off at teammates in addition to exerting little effort beyond the offensive end. The kid is clearly a star and a NBA talent and his combination of length and skills is special, but he needs to toughen up and play a complete game. He looked like a baby last night. Most of his points were on dunks/layups and free throws, so he didn't get to show off too much of his offensive game.

The freshman for Chaminade, Jericole Hellems, did not play too much, but I have heard good things about him. He is kind of a similar type of player to Jayson with regards to size/skillset.

Chaminade as a team is loaded with talent, but has a lot of work to do. They struggled to find a rhythm last night and I am not sure they have an identity as a team. As a team they are currently the opposite of synergy.

Mike Lewis had a pretty bad game. He really struggled against the defensive pressure from Ritter. He does not appear to have the quickness or handles to play the point, so he is an undersized scoring guard at the next level, but does not look like an elite scorer to me.

Will Gladson and Reggie Crawford are still working their way back from injuries, so Chaminade enters the season at less than full strength. I question just how close to full strength Gladson will ever get. He has definitely added upper body strength, but really struggled to move with any fluidity. He has a good skillset for his size, so I hope he can get his mobility back.

Cook looks like a completely different player physically, but he is still limited athletically and lacks skill. I don't see him as a top 75 type player at this point, but I could be wrong and his struggles could be a function of not going up against true bigs. Seems slow to react to missed shots allowing quicker guys to steal rebounds and did not get position in the paint very often (Chaminade also did not seem to really look to get him the ball). He caught the ball outside of the lane a few times and looked to go to the rim off of the dribble and it often resulted in a TO. He looked very average last night.

Tatum exhibited some concerning things from a maturity standpoint last night (probably not surprising considering his father). Ritter definitely rattled him and he spent considerable time jawing with Ritter players, complaining to refs, and pissed off at teammates in addition to exerting little effort beyond the offensive end. The kid is clearly a star and a NBA talent and his combination of length and skills is special, but he needs to toughen up and play a complete game. He looked like a baby last night. Most of his points were on dunks/layups and free throws, so he didn't get to show off too much of his offensive game.

The freshman for Chaminade, Jericole Hellems, did not play too much, but I have heard good things about him. He is kind of a similar type of player to Jayson with regards to size/skillset.

Chaminade as a team is loaded with talent, but has a lot of work to do. They struggled to find a rhythm last night and I am not sure they have an identity as a team. As a team they are currently the opposite of synergy.

I observed the same things you observed. (See Above) Did not want to say much negative about Tatum because I figured I'd get blasted by many on the board. But he did look uninterested. Maybe that was because Ritter was so much shorter and Chaminade took them lightly. Maybe. Unless there is a big change in Cook I wonder if SLU should continue to pursue him or go after someone better.

Drew Hanlen will play no part in the picking process. He spends almost 50% of his time in Cali, and a large part in Minnesota and D.C. He doesnt have the wide spread client base like he use to. He focuses with just a few players and works TONS of kid camps now. That being said don't think just because drew calls STL home, hes always here, thats rarely the case.

Drew Hanlen will play no part in the picking process. He spends almost 50% of his time in Cali, and a large part in Minnesota and D.C. He doesnt have the wide spread client base like he use to. He focuses with just a few players and works TONS of kid camps now. That being said don't think just because drew calls STL home, hes always here, thats rarely the case.

Remember how Drew essentially handled Cameron Biedscheid's departure from N.D.? That worked out well.

Drew Hanlon from what I have seen is not a supporter of local teams. He would be telling Tatum to go for the brass ring. After all the bigger the programs his guys go to the better advertising that is for him. I often wondered if the fact that SLU had little interest in him was part of this attitude - maybe I am just reading more into it then I should.