Coaching movement that might affect SLU

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Didn't work out for top 50 player of all time Clyde Drexler either. Expecting an all-time great to be able to relate to mere mortals may be too much to ask.

I had read that when he was there he had a poor work ethic - more interested in playing golf.  I once knew a guy who played 3 years of NFL football.  When he was done, he did not have a degree but his mother who was a teacher told him he had to go finish his degree or he could not live in her house.  He went back to school and substituted on days he did not have classes.  He told me that on days that he substituted when it got to be about 11:00 am he was whipped.  He could not understand how people could work 8 hours a day.  He was use to working a couple of hours a day and then lifting/joking around in the weight room for an hour with rest of day being spent playing video games or napping.  He got through it but said he never forgot how easy it was to be a pro player compared to having to punch a clock so to speak every day.  My point is pro athletes really don't know what real work is - at least some don't.

14 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-was Patrick Ewing ever described as a coach on the floor, gym rat, heady, etc? I don't think so, this is doomed to fail, good, I don't like G'twn even if they are Jesuit

I don't know whether or not Ewing was a "gym rat or heady" but even if he was... he would never be described in those terms.

Its an interesting hire no doubt. High risk, high reward in my opinion. 

I think it really speaks to the dire straights that GTown is in as a program. There are also so many internal politics at play, part of the reason JTIII wasn't let go sooner, because his father still has so much sway over the program and its boosters, and part of the reason Ewing was hired, to "keep it in the family." 

The balance of power in the BE has really shifted, Nova being the premier program in the East and X in the Midwest. While I have no love lost for GTown among the Jesuit programs, and while I don't hate them like I hate x, I think its tough to see former banner programs like GTown dwindle. There are a lot of lessons learned here about the perils of being a non-football program.  

45 minutes ago, prebilliken said:

Its an interesting hire no doubt. High risk, high reward in my opinion. 

I think it really speaks to the dire straights that GTown is in as a program. There are also so many internal politics at play, part of the reason JTIII wasn't let go sooner, because his father still has so much sway over the program and its boosters, and part of the reason Ewing was hired, to "keep it in the family." 

The balance of power in the BE has really shifted, Nova being the premier program in the East and X in the Midwest. While I have no love lost for GTown among the Jesuit programs, and while I don't hate them like I hate x, I think its tough to see former banner programs like GTown dwindle. There are a lot of lessons learned here about the perils of being a non-football program.  

Are you really saying V is where it is because it plays a low level brand of football?

50 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Are you really saying V is where it is because it plays a low level brand of football?

No, lord no. I believe Villanova football has ZERO affect on the success of Villanova basketball. 

What I'm saying is that Villanova is now the premier team in the Big East, the leading member of the Big East "Old Guard." And that even in the Big East, the premier non-football playing conference in college sports, that brands like GTown can fall victim to the pitfalls that face non football playing schools. Or rather, program sustainability is difficult, even with the history Georgetown has, and regaining that momentum is hard. 

Sidenote: D1 FCS football is fun, but I don't think SLU should have it and have never made an implied or direct endorsement of that sentiment. Give me SLU hockey or give me death. 

55 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Just now, prebilliken said:

No, lord no. I believe Villanova football has ZERO affect on the success of Villanova basketball. 

What I'm saying is that Villanova is now the premier team in the Big East, the leading member of the Big East "Old Guard." And that even in the Big East, the premier non-football playing conference in college sports, that brands like GTown can fall victim to the pitfalls that face non football playing schools. Or rather, program sustainability is difficult, even with the history Georgetown has, and regaining that momentum is hard. 

Sidenote: D1 FCS football is fun, but I don't think SLU should have it and have never made an implied or direct endorsement of that sentiment. Give me SLU hockey or give me death. 

And to go a little further in my explanation, I just think because of all the money and resources at hand to P5 schools, it is just easier to "bounce back" from bad years than it is for non-Football schools. Just my take. I understand that being a P5 team also poses all sorts of other challenges non-football schools face (I mean, look how many of them struggle to turn a profit on sports), I just feel like it is easier to turn things around in most P5 cases. 

Which is why I laugh at our "friends" at U of I. SLU gets a couple local kids and we are suddenly the most corrupt program in America, but Illinois has under performed at recruiting for nearly a decade and they have no real excuse for it outside of their own decisions. 

Georgetown fell on hard times for the same reason football playing schools like Arkansas and Illinois did: years of mediocre coaches. Arkansas hired the right guy and is on the way back. Underwood might be the right guy at Illinois given his track record at the college level. The Georgetown faithful have no choice but to hope Patrick Ewing is the right guy. They are going to struggle getting proven college coaches to come to Georgetown as long as JT wields so much influence.

34 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Georgetown fell on hard times for the same reason football playing schools like Arkansas and Illinois did: years of mediocre coaches. Arkansas hired the right guy and is on the way back. Underwood might be the right guy at Illinois given his track record at the college level. The Georgetown faithful have no choice but to hope Patrick Ewing is the right guy. They are going to struggle getting proven college coaches to come to Georgetown as long as JT wields so much influence.

Right, but as I am close to the Arkansas program- it kind of fits into to the point I'm making. Arkansas had multiple McD All Americans during those down years. Ultimately it falls on the coach, but they were just wasting all sorts of talent. 

On the other hand, when teams like GTown (or SLU) are down, its not due to miss management of talent, but because there is none. 

10 minutes ago, prebilliken said:

Right, but as I am close to the Arkansas program- it kind of fits into to the point I'm making. Arkansas had multiple McD All Americans during those down years. Ultimately it falls on the coach, but they were just wasting all sorts of talent. 

On the other hand, when teams like GTown (or SLU) are down, its not due to miss management of talent, but because there is none. 

I've read several articles around the time Ford was hired and bashing his X and O's at OSU, but mentioned that A10 is a good fit for him since he can out muscle the rest of the A10 with talent. Has anyone here been to most of the A10 campuses? some of them don't even look like a D1 school. Its easy to see why VCU and Dayton can bring in recruits alongside SLU. Bringing a MCDAA in the A10 is like having the Varsity star play for JV, its a game changer. 

16 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

I've read several articles around the time Ford was hired and bashing his X and O's at OSU, but mentioned that A10 is a good fit for him since he can out muscle the rest of the A10 with talent. Has anyone here been to most of the A10 campuses? some of them don't even look like a D1 school. Its easy to see why VCU and Dayton can bring in recruits alongside SLU. Bringing a MCDAA in the A10 is like having the Varsity star play for JV, its a game changer. 

I've not been to all, but many... Dayton, St. Joe's, VCU, and Richmond, which I think is the most beautiful campus in America. 

But I agree, I've always felt that in terms of facilities and campuses there are really two tiers in the A10. 

2 hours ago, prebilliken said:

Georgetown has brought in the #1 recruiting class in the Big East twice in the last 5 years. Two years ago their recruiting class was second.  Talent isn't the problem.

2 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

Never heard of him but his son must be pretty dope 

The other assistant is UMKC's Chris Hollander. Not exactly a big name either but he's from the St. Louis area.

Also, Mizzou started the purging of the roster as Frankie Hughes and KJ Walton are leaving.