Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's Corey Evans' latest take on THT's recruitment.

One of the more, if not the most, versatile prospects in the 2018 class, remains a bit of a mystery.

The four-star prospect is down to a final seven of Iowa State, Ohio State, Georgetown, Illinois, Xavier, Georgia Tech and Saint Louis. He just returned home from an official visit to Georgia Tech, has already visited Xavier and will head to Iowa State this weekend.

Saint Louis and Georgetown could offer Horton-Tucker the ball straight out of the gates next year and give him the chance to become the face of the program as a freshman. Unfortunately for both schools, neither has much of a real chance.

Illinois and Ohio State remain in the hunt and while both have invested quality time and effort in recruiting him, both programs are playing catch-up. It also does not help that neither has been able to solidify official visit dates. That all could change but the Illini and Buckeyes remain more focused on the point guard position.

Georgia Tech has to be seen as a suitor after hosting the versatile prospect for an official visit over the weekend. Securing Horton-Tucker's commitment would give Josh Pastner a mighty good and high upside class this fall. However, the Yellow Jackets may be in third.

Horton-Tucker will head to Iowa State this weekend for its Midnight Madness festivities as the Cyclones will also have on hand its three class of 2018 commitments hoping to dish out their first assists as Iowa State pledges.

Xavier, meanwhile, has done a tremendous job of prioritizing Horton-Tucker as he remains the top recruit on their board this fall. The Musketeers can offer the chance to step in and take over for potential All-American when he leaves this spring.

Look for a commitment soon, as Horton-Tucker is expected to sign in November.

Cannot disagree with Cory Evans take but as long as SLU is still in I will hope for a great surprise.

Thank you Pistol for the information

5 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Cannot disagree with Cory Evans take but as long as SLU is still in I will hope for a great surprise.

Thank you Pistol for the information

I'm not sure how close he is to the situation, but I'll add that THT has had a lot of "experts" speculate about who his leaders are and what he'll do, and within a week he does the opposite.

I thought Iowa State and Illinois were out front; he says ISU and Xavier, then GT, then Illinois and OSU, and finally SLU and Georgetown. That's pretty specific for a recruit who's been so hard to predict.

I think SLU has been in the mix all along, but never out front. If we don't get his fifth official visit, I don't see how we have a chance (he's been on campus before, but it's been a while).

34 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Saint Louis and Georgetown could offer Horton-Tucker the ball straight out of the gates next year and give him the chance to become the face of the program as a freshman. Unfortunately for both schools, neither has much of a real chance.

The face of the program as a freshman with a higher ranked local recruit in the same class and a higher ranked local recruit in the previous class? I mean, he could probably challenge for a starting spot right away, but being the face of the program isn't an actual reason. Evans is uninformed in that regard. 

I have said it before, but getting a top 150 recruit from Simeon would be the most impressive recruiting job that Ford has done yet. 

6 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

The face of the program as a freshman with a higher ranked local recruit in the same class and a higher ranked local recruit in the previous class? I mean, he could probably challenge for a starting spot right away, but being the face of the program isn't an actual reason. Evans is uninformed in that regard. 

I have said it before, but getting a top 150 recruit from Simeon would be the most impressive recruiting job that Ford has done yet. 

I was just about to make that point. I don't think SLU has much of a shot with THT, but the actual selling point is that this roster is loaded with talent and he would still be able to step right in and get a ton of playing time. He would be an excellent complementary piece, but he's not going to be the face of the program. 

I agree with both of you on that.

I also watched some more video on Rhoden this weekend, as much as I could track down. There's not as much as there is on THT, but there's some good stuff. What stood out is that there's such a clear evolution in his game from his sophomore year at Baldwin to the following AAU summer with the NY Lightning to the following HS season at Our Saviour Lutheran. He goes from a long but skilled perimeter player to a really confident all-around scoring threat. It's impressive. He's got a great frame and has added to it significantly already. He's an excellent shooter, with great form and a consistent stroke. What didn't exist in earlier video was his ability to shoot off the dribble; he showed a knack for getting open and knocking it down, but later video shows him using his crossover to get space for his shot, hitting shots in defenders' faces, and pulling up in transition. He also shows more ability (or just willingness) to get to the basket in traffic. He's a sneaky good finisher at the rim, for a guy billed more as a perimeter scorer and not for his strength and toughness. He's got long arms and a nose for the ball, so there's a good amount of video of him getting a hand on the ball to create turnovers and get OSL going in transition.

It's funny, THT is a fringe top-50 player in most rankings, much higher than Rhoden (somewhere between 100 and 200), but Rhoden is so much more polished looking than THT on video. THT has a bigger, beefier frame and doesn't show much of that smooth kind of athleticism, more of a raw power type guy with sneaky good skills. Rhoden is longer, smoother, and really looks the part. I don't see him as a consolation prize if we miss out on THT; I would be thrilled to have him commit today.

FWIW, both players are also billed as very good students.

46 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I was just about to make that point. I don't think SLU has much of a shot with THT, but the actual selling point is that this roster is loaded with talent and he would still be able to step right in and get a ton of playing time. He would be an excellent complementary piece, but he's not going to be the face of the program. 

I think with Talen's talent and personality, he could very well become the face of the program.  Wouldn't necessarily have to happen freshmen year though.

2 hours ago, wgstl said:

anybody have a rundown on this pearson kid?  Cant seem to find anything. 

Mickey Pearson - SF, 6-7, 180 - Elizabethtown, KY (John Hardin) - Twitter: @Mickeypearson24

Offers: SLU, St. Bonaventure, WKU, Ball State, Bradley, William & Mary, UMKC, Robert Morris, Stony Brook, EKU, Wofford, Samford, Troy, Tennessee Tech, Lipscomb, Campbell.

Interest: George Mason, DePaul, Utah, Belmont, Cornell, FGCU, Northeastern, NKU.

Latest News: Pearson took an official visit to SLU this past weekend. He has also visited Bradley, Wofford, and Stony Brook, and wants to visit George Mason. (10/10/17)

Scouting Report: Pearson is a long 6-7 wing who is a bit of a late bloomer, with most of his offers coming this summer. He has a strong defensive game, using his length to disrupt passing lanes and shots, and rack up blocks and rebounds. He runs the floor extremely well, is excellent in transition and in traffic, and finishes strong. He's comfortable on-ball, can handle it for his size, create his own shot, and bury it from the perimeter even when contested because of his length and good mechanics. He's got a solid all-around mid-range game and gets to the FT line a lot. He plays against a lower level of HS competition and averaged 22.2 points and 8.8 rebounds as a junior. Very high ceiling.

^This is the current profile I have on him. I'll add some video.

9 minutes ago, Macallan 18 said:

Based on the list of other schools recruiting Pearson, not very exciting.  From that standpoint only looks a guy we would be going after in the Crews days.  I hope Ford & Company are not settling, and really see something.

If Ford was RM you would not be questioning anything about this kid's recruitment 

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

It's funny, THT is a fringe top-50 player in most rankings, much higher than Rhoden (somewhere between 100 and 200), but Rhoden is so much more polished looking than THT on video. THT has a bigger, beefier frame and doesn't show much of that smooth kind of athleticism, more of a raw power type guy with sneaky good skills. Rhoden is longer, smoother, and really looks the part. I don't see him as a consolation prize if we miss out on THT; I would be thrilled to have him commit today.

FWIW, both players are also billed as very good students.

I was hoping we would have Rhoden already locked up by now and I hope to hear an announcement soon.

Thank you for the Pearson videos, his game looks similar to Rhoden's.

After watching the videos I would not mind a Pearson commitment today and move forward to 2019.

2 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I was hoping we would have Rhoden already locked up by now and I hope to hear an announcement soon.

Thank you for the Pearson videos, his game looks similar to Rhoden's.

After watching the videos I would not mind a Pearson commitment today and move forward to 2019.

I said before that I would take a commitment from Pearson right now and don't worry about the others.  He looks like he could be Plan A.  Period.

55 minutes ago, Macallan 18 said:

Based on the list of other schools recruiting Pearson, not very exciting.  From that standpoint only looks a guy we would be going after in the Crews days.  I hope Ford & Company are not settling, and really see something.

Majerus had people all over the world tipping him off to underrecruited players. Crews had people in Indiana telling him about underrecruited players. The difference, among other things, is that Majerus' diamonds in the rough could actually win games at a good rate.

With Pearson, I've always assumed that someone from back home in Kentucky tipped him off to him. Let's just hope Ford's connections spot talent better than Crews' connections did.

My guess is SLU is a more serious player for THT than Evans gives them credit for.  SLU is the one program not like the others when it comes to conferences and why keep them in the latest round if they were not a serious player.  Maybe he is just keeping SLU in it to keep momma happy or maybe momma is playing a role in the selection process.