Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

11 minutes ago, brianstl said:

My guess is SLU is a more serious player for THT than Evans gives them credit for.  SLU is the one program not like the others when it comes to conferences and why keep them in the latest round if they were not a serious player.  Maybe he is just keeping SLU in it to keep momma happy or maybe momma is playing a role in the selection process.

Someone should pay me for this analysis: If SLU gets the last official visit, they have a chance. SLU should also bring Thatch and Gordon back to campus to show him around. 

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Majerus had people all over the world tipping him off to underrecruited players. Crews had people in Indiana telling him about underrecruited players. The difference, among other things, is that Majerus' diamonds in the rough could actually win games at a good rate.

With Pearson, I've always assumed that someone from back home in Kentucky tipped him off to him. Let's just hope Ford's connections spot talent better than Crews' connections did.

Your assumption is correct. I believe it was his father's connection(s) that tipped Travis off w/r/t Pearson. Eddie Ford is a Kentucky HS basketball legend. Here's some background from an article written a few years ago. I'm sure Travis trusts his eye, or the eye of a few of his guys still in Kentucky, so when one of them says "Hey, I've got a kid down here flying way under the radar", that means something. Pearson is absolutely one of those guys that you might not get excited about on paper because of his current offer/interest lists, but who makes a lot of sense when you actually get recommendations from trusted sources.

48 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

If Coach Ford wants to make inroads into his home state, which has some pretty good players in 2020, now is a pretty good time. It's not necessary to hit a home run with this scholarship. And Pearson definitely has upside. He just hasn't played anybody.

43 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I said before that I would take a commitment from Pearson right now and don't worry about the others.  He looks like he could be Plan A.  Period.

I know I've been higher on Pearson than most out of the gate, but I thought he just really popped in some of the video I watched. He's got the frame and enough tools that I think he can be molded into a really nice player. With our roster - assuming no long-term damage from the incident being investigated - he's not a guy we'd need production from right away.

If he goes to one of the smaller programs on his list, they're probably going to want more out of him right away. If he comes to SLU, he has a chance to hit a higher ceiling on a long-term plan. With a year or two to practice, condition, and adjust, I don't have to squint too hard to see a guy who could be a great four-year player, with a chance to be special.

Here is Corey Evans Twitter Tuesday from two weeks ago.  In it he doesn't mention 4 of the teams that THT would name as his final seven only three days later.  I don't think Evan's is plugged into THT's recruitment at all.

Horton-Tucker is primed to be an early contributor because he can initiate his team’s half-court offense, defend different positions and score from all three levels on the floor.

Where he will play his college ball remains up in the air.

Despite the commitments of both 

and 

earlier this month, Iowa State remains in a good spot for the ultra-versatile wing. Xavier is another school that can offer a soft landing spot for the Chicago native. Michigan boasts a strong four-man class and remain the dark horse for Horton-Tucker. Finally, Illinois has made Horton-Tucker a priority despite their continued strong pursuit of five-star guard 

Outside of Iowa State, Xavier, Michigan and Illinois, Horton-Tucker is also considering Kansas, Florida State and Missouri.

It is anyone’s guess, though, as to when a commitment might happen as Horton-Tucker has yet to set a single official visit.

On 10/9/2017 at 9:35 AM, Pistol said:

THT visited Georgia Tech this weekend. No word on how it went yet. He'll go to Iowa State for Cyclone Madness next weekend. ISU and Illinois are thought to be out in front of his top 7. Illinois is in a weird spot at the moment; Landers Nolley cut them and announced UGA and VT as his final two, then committed to UGA, then immediately decommitted. Not sure if he's opening it back up further, going back to UGA, or if that's good news for VT. But if he goes back wider, he was a major Illinois target and would've probably gotten in the way of a THT commit. Ayo Dosunmu is now down to 2: Illinois and Wake Forest. So their staff is busy right now.

I watched some more video on THT. He's an interesting player. He has a little bit of a throwback style, and kind of reminds me of a young Charles Barkley. He's got a beefy frame (no doubt strength and conditioning coaches will be on him the second he arrives on a college campus) and likes to take it right at guys. Strong finisher who can get up on the break or finish in heavy traffic. He finishes in a variety of ways, but favors his right hand heavily. He's got good, long, strong arms and can rebound it at both ends and block shots. What stood out at me in particular this most recent time is how comfortable he is handling the ball, both in the half court and in traffic. He looks like he'd be loose with it, but is surprisingly effective. He's also a solid passer. He's got a really easy stroke, and his form is the same whether he's 12 or 30 feet away from the basket. He doesn't shoot a high percentage from the perimeter - most stats I can find are in the low 30% range - but the ability is there. He strikes me as a Ford player, and would very much fit in with the character of this team. Tough, versatile, hard working player who offers a tricky matchup. His inconsistent perimeter shooting is the only downside here, as we need another guy who can stretch this offense out. Otherwise, I think he'll be an excellent four-year player and would be a great fit at SLU.

Spot on analysis.  I saw THT this summer at a tournament locally.  I compared him to Barkley as well (I'm frame) lol.  He would definitely fit in with the type of players Ford and his staff are bringing in.

14 hours ago, slusam said:

Looks like Rhoden will be at Seton Hall this weekend

Indeed.

And here's the latest on THT - nothing new, necessarily, but worth reading. The article mentions the two officials he's taken but only mentions Iowa State this weekend, and not the fact that he'll be at Illinois the following weekend: https://scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Four-star-wing-Talen-Horton-Tucker-talks-visits-108751462

Four-star forward Talen Horton-Tucker continues to move through his recruiting process. Already Horton-Tucker has made official visits to Xavier and Georgia Tech, with a trip to Iowa State coming up.

About where he stands in the process, Horton-Tucker said, "I am just trying to be patient and take my time. I want to take my visits, and then I will make my decision."

The most recent trip for Horton-Tucker was to Georgia Tech. The Yellow Jackets made him a priority throughout the summer, and Horton-Tucker says the visit to the ACC school opened up his eyes some.

"This time I really liked going to Atlanta," said Horton-Tucker. "I saw more of the school which was good, and I liked the coaches and players, it was a good visit."

Georgia Tech assistant Tavaras Hardy is from Chicago, and he is working hard to build a relationship with Horton-Tucker.

"(Hardy) tells me he has to be able to go home, so that if I go to Georgia Tech that I know I would be treated well," said Horton-Tucker.

Prior to visiting Georgia Tech, Horton-Tucker made his official visit to Xavier.

"I really liked the trip to Xavier," said Horton-Tucker. "I liked the facilities and the coaching staff and the team. Everybody there treated me well and it was a great visit."

Up next is a visit to Iowa State where Horton-Tucker says he wants to see how he would fit in, if he were to attend school there.

"Basically I am just looking forward to seeing the campus and how I would fit in with the other guys from Illinois that they have going there," said Horton-Tucker. "I am just looking forward to the visit."

Along with Xavier, Iowa State, and Georgia Tech, Georgetown, Ohio State, Saint Louis, and Illinois are also still involved with Horton-Tucker.

Horton-Tucker does plan on signing early, but he has no specific plan for when he will announce beyond that.

22 minutes ago, almaman said:

holy cow cool. so this thread is finished? Gordon, Thatch, Santos, and now Pearson for the incoming class replacing Roby, Hines?

I wouldn't say they are finished.  I think if THT or Rhoden said they wanted to commit, they would find a way to make it work.

BILLS324 likes this

Love Pearson's length and his shooting stroke. Still hoping to somehow make room for Rhoden or THT but very content that we got another 2018 comment. I see Pearson as a very late bloomer with tremendous upside and untapped potential. Super stoked with this commitment 

How does the process work when you put out multiple offers for one open scholarship. Is it first commit gets it? Does Ford call the more highly coveted recruits and tell them I've got another guy who wants the scholarship so if you want it you've got to commit now, otherwise it is his?

6 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

How does the process work when you put out multiple offers for one open scholarship. Is it first commit gets it? Does Ford call the more highly coveted recruits and tell them I've got another guy who wants the scholarship so if you want it you've got to commit now, otherwise it is his?

great ?

1 hour ago, kmbilliken said:

How it works is that by the start of school next year (2018) you have to clear enough spots so your signees do not exceed the number 13.  You can sign as many as you want but you have to get down to the 13 at some point so players will be leaving one way or the other.

4 hours ago, kmbilliken said:

Pretty much.  They tell the kids you are our first option but it's pretty much 1st come 1st serve in most cases.  But some schools just throw out lot of offers.  Two stories come to mind.  1) kid is the top option at SG.  He really likes the school but his parents want to visit other schools.  Sets up other visits and then the second option commits.  2) kid has offer...wants to commit but the asst coach tells him "the head coach wants to see you a few more times".  Kid luckily had another offer elsewhere and went there.  

More commitments of note:

Landers Nolley, who backed out on his previous Georgia commit, went with Virginia Tech. Weird couple weeks for him.

Tyrese Williams committed to Quinnipiac. Also had a SLU offer at one point.

Liam Courtney, the Canadian big who was at Chaminade for a couple years but is now back in Canada, is going to Colgate.

22 hours ago, cheeseman said:

How it works is that by the start of school next year (2018) you have to clear enough spots so your signees do not exceed the number 13.  You can sign as many as you want but you have to get down to the 13 at some point so players will be leaving one way or the other.

Yep