Time to clean up the posts

We expect high standards from our coach, players and everyone associated with the Saint Louis University Billikens. I also believe that we should have high standards on our team Message Board.

I love this board and for many, many years, it was the only source of information on our Billikens, especially for a guy like me who lives out of town. I have noticed that over the last couple of years and especially this past year, the language has become very trashy. It is almost impossible to find a page, let alone a thread that is not laced with foul language. The language filters are a joke.

We should also keep in mind, that there are no age requirements for this board, so there are young Billiken fans reading this board. I would first like to ask posters to use some class and clean up their posts. The foul language doesn’t add anything to the content of a post. If this fails, I would like to ask the moderators to remove posts or posters who are working around the intended language filter.

So I respectfully challenge the members and moderators of this board to raise the standards and reflect the same class that we expect of our Billikens.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We expect high standards from our coach, players and everyone associated with the Saint Louis University Billikens. I also believe that we should have high standards on our team Message Board.

I love this board and for many, many years, it was the only source of information on our Billikens, especially for a guy like me who lives out of town. I have noticed that over the last couple of years and especially this past year, the language has become very trashy. It is almost impossible to find a page, let alone a thread that is not laced with foul language. The language filters are a joke.

We should also keep in mind, that there are no age requirements for this board, so there are young Billiken fans reading this board. I would first like to ask posters to use some class and clean up their posts. The foul language doesn’t add anything to the content of a post. If this fails, I would like to ask the moderators to remove posts or posters who are working around the intended language filter.

So I respectfully challenge the members and moderators of this board to raise the standards and reflect the same class that we expect of our Billikens.

Agree. I was about to write something similar. It used to be I could put one or two posters on ignore for this language, but it seems to be contagious and some long time posters have gotten caught up in using it. It isn't cute or funny and it certainly doesn't add a thing to this board.

+1

SO this one guy suddenly says we should talk nice. And that's that?

This here's a MAN's board.

Talkin' hoops. We talk like men. Basketball players cuss. Coaches cuss. Kids these days cuss.

Give me a break.

Its not an outrageous request.

I am trying to figure out what to do with the recruiting thread. I don't mind off-topic banter, but if someone actually wants to get recruiting information, they have to go through a lot of off-topic posts...

I am trying to figure out what to do with the recruiting thread. I don't mind off-topic banter, but if someone actually wants to get recruiting information, they have to go through a lot of off-topic posts...

Agree 100%

I would also like to add the following:

--that posters refrain from using first and last initials when referring to players. It takes us old billikenheads several hours to read through posts when we have to research who the initials are referring to.

--also, I've noticed several posts with, +1. I'm still researching this and have been for the last couple years but what I have learned is 1, sometimes referred to as unity, is the integer before two and after zero. 1 is the first non-zero number in the natural numbers, as well as the first odd number in the natural numbers. Any number multiplied by 1 is that number, as 1 is the identity for multiplication. As a result, 1 is its own factorial, its own square, its own cube, and so on. 1 is also the empty product, as any number multiplied by 1 is itself. Therefore when responding to a post with +1, one is stating that they enjoyed the poster's post and would like to let the original poster and all forum readers know that they enjoyed the post and would like to demand an encore, or additional post or posts by the original poster regarding the original post the poster was posting about. Can someone help me understand this if I am wrong? Thanks.

--basically all these abbreviations are getting in the way of my performance at the work place and I would appreciate the help from all posters to cut that poopoo out. Thanks.

I agree with both of these. I can deal with the language to an extent, but sometimes it is really over the top. It seems like some posters are just trying to outdo each other. Also, some of the stuff is offensive especially for those of us who have daughters - it just seems like it gets downright creepy at times. If you don't have daughters, I am sure this last point is harder to relate to.

The biggest issue, however, is that some of the threads are so full of irrelevant junk that it becomes difficult to follow the subject. The recruiting post is a perfect example. Maybe we need to go back to the off-season board but with a strict ban on the political stuff.

And the ignore function is not a realistic solution. If someone quotes the ignored poster, you still see the post. Moreover, a few people who contribute valuable info cannot seem to help themselves sometimes with the language.

Ok, now you can ridicule me...

+1

This is what the ignore function is for. Try looking at some other boards, much much worse.

+2

Same with Facebook, Twitter, Youtube comments, ESPN comments, every online game, ect. If you're worried your kids might see some naughty language then you probably shouldn't let them on the internet at all.

+1

This is what the ignore function is for. Try looking at some other boards, much much worse.

Ignore function is a joke. Period.

Just because other boards are worse does not mean this board should have some of the inappropriate stuff it has.

+2

Same with Facebook, Twitter, Youtube comments, ESPN comments, every online game, ect. If you're worried your kids might see some naughty language then you probably shouldn't let them on the internet at all.

Which would mean that you follow your kids around to their friends house and everywhere they go with their smart phones, iPads, etc. :rolleyes:

The main focus for me is not that kids will see this, although that is relevant too, it's just become way over the top with people trying to "out gross" each other. If you want to do that, let's set up another Off-Season Board with a strict ban on politics. Then, those who want to stick to primarily Billiken basketball and truly ignore the other board, will not have to wade through what they consider inappropriate posts.

This would also make it easier for moderators to say, "This post needs to be moved over to the Off-Season Board" without having to delete everything.

Steve will do what he thinks is best and that works for me.

Guess I'm in the minority on this one, but none of the language issues bug me. I also have a daughter and I'm not bothered by the posts AF is referring to. I get a good laugh out of most of the stuff, yet I'm still able to teach/raise my daughter how I think is best.

It's a message board, not a church. I think some shouldn't be so thin-skinned. But then again, not much bothers me on this board in terms of the content of posts outside a few things (e.g. harsh personal insults about a SLU player, racist posts).