I am going out of town...for 4 years!

Well, that doesn't mean I am gone for 4 years, but the SignGuy is officially off to College.

I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank all of you for making a hobby of mine such a great pleasure.

7 years ago, when I was in 5th grade, I waved a couple of signs distributed by the Post-Dispatch, I got on the screen and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. So the next game I made my own sign to wave and I just held it in the spot where I would wave signs for 7 more years. Then I found the wonders of AOL Personal Homepages, I made one for my SLU fandom, and this whole journey began.

I finally started participating on the Board when Nark moved his Web Site to Rivals, a week earlier Billikens.com finally took place. I then met the likes of Nark, Roy, Taj, and many more. I still remember vaguely the time when thicks introduced himself to the board. I also remember slu72 joining us. Along with many more.

I learned more about Billiken basketball those first couple of years than I have ever thought possible, and I probably still am one of the lesser knowlegible fans. My dad and I joke at the dinner table at times about how much some of you guys know (my dad cannot talk much because if you ask him anything about St. Louis Football, he will probably know it).

Eventually Rivals had troubles, and I wanted to make sure the board would not die, so I created one on Billikens. And with the cooperation and extremely well laid foundation laid by Davidnark, Billiken talk was able to continue.

I have hosted the board now for 2 years and 4 months. Many of you have complimented me on my maturity or whatnot, but I must say I have learned a lot from the classy posters of Billikens.com. I have made many mistakes that you all helped me learn from, on in paticular (Mr. Darkside) teaching me a lesson about going to a rivals board...Ahh Pearl Harbor...hehe.

I was just 11 when I started my first SLU web site, 14 with Billikens.com, 17 with the board, now 19 going to college (yep, I am an old fart for being a freshman in college). Billikens.com is now a site where people from all over the world can shoot the ###### about Billikens basketball. I always thought it would be hard to be out of Stl, and be able to follow the team. I guess I will just see how hard it is.

I just want to end with one thing. This week Morris and McClain are no longer with us. It is frustrating, although that is what I love about being a Billiken fan. You must admit, it is fun sometimes to be the underdog. We are not Duke. We aren't Grambling either. We are a team that always has that opportunity for greatness or opportunity to fall flat on our face. It is exciting and nervewracking, and I personally love it. I simply don't think it would be the same if in late Febuary we were debating our seed in the tourney compared to getting in the tourney. I don't think it would be the same if we knew every recruit would be great, but now we have to debate whether a player would be a bust or not. People say it is tough to be a Billiken fan, and I admit I did not live through the dreary years (well, I did, but I was about 3). But it being tough to be a Billiken fan is my favorite thing about being a billiken fan.

And with that, I am off to bed, to wake up in 4 and a half hours to Drive to DC with Dad. I simply wanted to say, Thank you.

I tip my hat as I drive off into the.....Sunrise (I am going east, so I am unable to have the dramatic drive off in the Sunset of the West :) )

Thanks again, and see you at thanksgiving!

Steve

Taj! Here I come to DC! You ready?!

dont let anyone or anything distract you steve. you can and will accomplish whatever you want if you maintain the focus you showed us with billikens.com. good luck!

Steve,

Don't worry about following the Billikens, as I moved away from St. Louis in Sept. '96. Thanks first to Nark and then to you and Billikens.com...my ability to stay on top of what is going on with my favorite college basketball team has remained in tact. No, it's not the same as attending the games, but it is the next best thing.

You are off to a great adventure Steve ... starting with that 14 hour drive down HWY 70 (have done it several times). Many thanks for you work in bringing us Billikens.com ... a civilized place to hang out and discuss our beloved yet frustrating Billikens. Everybody is a Duke basketball fan or ND football fan, it's easy, they win. Not everybody is cut out to be a Billikens fan!!! We are the chosen few.

Steve, let me add my thanks-you did a great job and performed a service to the BB program. God help us if we relied on the official SLU site to learn anything about the program!

Again, thanks and good luck at GWU. We'll miss seeing you at the games.

Thanks for all the work you've done over the years. It has truly been a labor of love. The information gained from all the posters here is staggering. The board has opened up a whole new window on Billiken sports for me and I'm sure for many others. Thanks to you and your predecessors for making that possible.

Best of luck to you, Steve! Be sure to take advantage of all that college, and more specifically, college in D.C. has to offer. I know that your college experience will be exciting and fun, and you'll have the time of your life.

The best advice I can give you is actually from the movie Billy Madison - stay...stay as long as you can. Seriously, stick around for a 5th year and prolong the inevitable. The real world is not nearly as much fun.

Thanks for all the hard work you've put in on Billikens.com!