Arena Website

kshoe

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you guys and girls get off the arena web site. When I first opened it, it was very fast. Now when I'm trying to show my son, it won't load. If the rest of you get off, I sould be able to log on.

Thanks.

Just kidding. It sure didn't take long for word to spread.

damn, i wanted to show this off....I got to see it all last week, fun stuff!!!!!!!

Everyone is going to get to see a real renaissance of Midtown and Grand Center...as excited as I am to see Billiken sports, pro sports and concerts on campus, I'm doubly excited to see SLU continue to contribute to the rebirth of downtown. I don't think anyone realizes how much small business and housing this will spur!!!!!

As those Metropolis kids say:

The City is back. Back the city.

I didn't really catch it, but my son pointed out the similarity between the old arena and the new one in regard to the two towers. I just thought it looked good without trying to read anything into it. You all probably caught on right away.

unless something has changed very recently, the "inbetween the lines" messages i have gotten the last couple of times i have talked to doug woolard lead me to believe that the grand center choice has little chance of being the final site. i believe it will be the corner of compton and market where that school and the tennis courts and softball field are at now.

another point to everyone, while this site is neat, i am telling you it isnt even the full deal. i have seen the powerpoint presentation that also shows the outer hallways, practice courts, banquet rooms, weight room, academic center, locker rooms, billiken stuff store, offices, sculptures (inside and out) etc. i am telling you all this is first class all the way. the way i see it, is it completes and defines the eastern edge of the campus.

i dont like the fact that a few current landowners think they can hold slu hostage for the property. yes it would have been neat to help revitalize the grand center, but not at a massive premium.

btw, who are you talking about with your statement, "Roy, you seem to be able to rile these guys up."?

I much prefer the Compton/Market option. Grand Center is starting to experience a renaissance on its own, and the Grand Center site that SLU has in mind would take out too many existing buildings that could be reused as lofts, small office space, restaurants, etc. Momentum has been building along Locust Street over the last year or two, and I think that having an arena there would squelch that momentum somewhat. Not to mention the fact that the arena would be off campus and incompatible with its surroundings while costing the university an exhorbitant amount of money.

Just judging from the renderings (and they look awesome), the arena is perfect for the Compton location.

You know what I love about this.....

Its ALL BLUE!!! No purple seats....no hockey boards....no pictures of Bernie Federko in the lobby....no pictures of MVC all-stars...no hockey themed designs all over.....no descending nooses during the second half and PA announcements telling fans to "get the hell out" so that we can prepare for the hockey game tonight...no more 60 degree arenas so the ice doesnt melt....no more commercials for Arch Madness during time outs....no more Guy Phillips (sorry, just dreaming)

Whoever mentioned "goosebumps", I concur

I meant it in a positive way!!....you seem like one of the ringleaders!!!

An arena in grandcenter will make a lot of dominoes fall....the proposed location would still leave the buildings that could be used for storefronts and lofts....and, create the incentive for people to build and set up shop there...

The BIGGEST problem GC is facing is a lack of a tenant of the woolworth storefront of the Continental Life building (during homecoming....take a tour...they've done a fantastic job!) and a new owner for the Metropolitan building (grand and olive) which has three great storefronts. Just walked by it at lunch on my way to the Best Steak House (steak sammich on texas toast anyone?)...it's a shame there isn't a LITTLE more happening there