Is May done?

May on KMOX this morning. 

Woman's title was announced at the Zac Brown concert.

Geno Auriemma made the initial recommendation to May for Coach Tillett.

Schertz was on top of the very short list of coaching candidates.  The committee talked to a lot of various people during the process, community leaders, local press, other coaches, national press, etc.  Schertz is meeting with May this afternoon with the Press Conference tomorrow.  He will tour the O'Loughlin Champion Center and Chaifetz today.

What attracted him to SLU?  Ask Coach that tomorrow.   

Any players from ISU coming?  Who knows. 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

See the thing about that is…the criticism of May has nothing to do with on field winning or losing. Rather the dysfunctional culture under his leadership. 

And (1) NCAA bball appearance in 10yrs 

TheA_Bomb likes this

38 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

See the thing about that is…the criticism of May has nothing to do with on field winning or losing. Rather the dysfunctional culture under his leadership. 

Game day operations, NIL strategy (previously), marketing to include social media, media press releases, failure of the compliance for multiple players this basketball season.....

C student level no innovation, no leadership

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

May on KMOX this morning. 

Woman's title was announced at the Zac Brown concert.

Geno Auriemma made the initial recommendation to May for Coach Tillett.

Schertz was on top of the very short list of coaching candidates.  The committee talked to a lot of various people during the process, community leaders, local press, other coaches, national press, etc.  Schertz is meeting with May this afternoon with the Press Conference tomorrow.  He will tour the O'Loughlin Champion Center and Chaifetz today.

What attracted him to SLU?  Ask Coach that tomorrow.   

Any players from ISU coming?  Who knows. 

Question.

When we hired Ford, where was he on our list for the job?  Presumably not 1st, probably not 2nd/3rd?

16 minutes ago, Fraz said:

Question.

When we hired Ford, where was he on our list for the job?  Presumably not 1st, probably not 2nd/3rd?

I think this is revisionist history. I believe most of us were pretty excited by the hire. 

We've already brought up the old thread and many of us that wanted him gone the last couple years, didn't want him in the first place.  One astute poster advocated for TJ Otzelberger.

So keep going with your revisionist history to try and tell us we were all wrong in an effort to excuse the bad hire and contract.  The board is not a monolithic group. Just because some of you light candles and grab the Jurgens whenever Chris May does something doesn't mean we all do.

In fact I correctly predicted Ford's tenure 8 years ago.  Billikenstradamus if you will.

I wanted Leon Rice, who's done well. 

My post 8 years ago, "5 tourney appearances 1 win.

So he recruits great right? Gets to the tournament 5 of 8 years. 1 Tournament win? Bad luck all those times or you just suck? Probably suck. Usually I'm not one of the posters that lose their head but this hire is bull . I really hope I'm wrong but this is just dumb. I knew the B Drew deal was real tenuous cause he's at his alma mater blah blah blah but there were/are plenty acceptable candidates. Leon Rice, Ingelburt, TJ Otzenhausershein etc. We let Stansbury, and others go for T. Ford? 1 tourney win at OSU?"

5 minutes ago, Fraz said:

I do remember a good portion of the board pretty excited about TF, but maybe more because Crews was leaving rather than TF coming.

There is truth to this. 

5 minutes ago, willie said:

There is truth to this. 

"Good portion". Look at the thread aren't you always the one that wants the proof? Many of us were upset by the hire.  We were right, we're still right. Sure there were a few that liked the hire.

But what I'm interested in, is why does it matter now? Even if a "good portion" of the board was excited?  That "good portion" was wrong.

But those that weren't enthused, like me gave him a chance. He came in hot on the recruiting. That turned the negative sentiment but in the end it never mattered.

It doesn’t matter who was right and who was wrong 8 years ago.  More so an observation that, at least from the surface, we had a much more successful outcome on this coaching vacancy than the previous one.

Attributed to what?  

We already reviewed the Ford hired thread. There was definitely a decent amount of negativity and mainly skepticism but people happy for a fresh start with a guy who can actually recruit 

1 minute ago, slufan13 said:

We already reviewed the Ford hired thread. There was definitely a decent amount of negativity and mainly skepticism but people happy for a fresh start with a guy who can actually recruit 

Correct. I think the fan sentiment around Ford was really warped by the last two years under Crews. The talent level dipped so sharply that we were all begging for recruiting instead of looking at the big picture. I haven’t gone back and looked but I’m probably one of those willing to or wrongly look past the red flags for a guy who had charisma and could bring in recruits. 

CenHudDude likes this

Ultimately, what does it matter what happened 8 years ago. Whatever misgivings people had, Travis Ford was our coach. Time for all Billkens to rally to the new coach, and they did. After 3 or so years, the hire looked pretty good. Towards the end of year 8? Not good at all. 

Will the Josh Shertz hire look good 4 years from now? I don’t know. All I know is that he is now our coach, this is our team, so let’s get excited about rooting for our team and wishing them tons of future success. 

Adman and willie like this

1 hour ago, Fraz said:

It doesn’t matter who was right and who was wrong 8 years ago.  More so an observation that, at least from the surface, we had a much more successful outcome on this coaching vacancy than the previous one.

Attributed to what?  

Because May was not running the show - the big donors were.

Fraz likes this

40 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Were you?

You the one making the statement. 

Go away and make stuff up. No one will know the difference, since you were in the room where it happened, the room where it happened…..and no one else was. 

25 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

Man, I'm just here for the drama between the board, Doc, and Hoosierpal

One is an idiot and one isn't even a SLU fan.  You decide which is which.

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

One is an idiot and one isn't even a SLU fan.  You decide which is which.

Not gonna comment on any of that, but it's very entertaining.