2024 SLU Men's Basketball Head Coaching Search

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

I'm suspect of any players assessment of coaches anymore. Thanks Tramaine.

He was a one year mercenary at SLU, his opinion means squat to me.  He likes Ford because he let him play his game and shoot at will, regardless of who was on the court with him.

I take Conklin’s opinion to heart because he was under Majerus, with Moser as an assistant, and says he likes Holtmann out of the list.  

3 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Gotta give the full picture right? 

image.png.e0160206972927d7d05c1632b0c41791.pngimage.png.9a3109938dfd91eced3f30290ac247d1.png

Can we further refine this by showing the two coach's salary level and also the amount of overall program budget for each?

2 minutes ago, Soderball said:

Can we further refine this by showing the two coach's salary level and also the amount of overall program budget for each?

image.jpeg.fe50dfba7776cf089755622d1bd75128.jpegA10CoachSalariesWins.jpg.2631e4da2dd76a963c182e1b1b07ffe6.jpg

SLU-Geo likes this

24 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I'm suspect of any players assessment of coaches anymore. Thanks Tramaine.

Surprised Brian even responded to it. I'm reading too many tea leaves nowadays.

I can see it; feels a little too retread to me though. I'm very up on Schertz and McCollum.

2 minutes ago, Soderball said:

That's an interesting question because after those Gilyard et al teams Mooney is making like 2.3 milli this season. 

Just now, Soderball said:

Surprised Brian even responded to it. I'm reading too many tea leaves nowadays.

I can see it; feels a little too retread to me though. I'm very up on Schertz and McCollum.

I think Holtmann has that big energy, ie not an "old dude" which helps him in a lot of peoples eyes. 

8 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I think Holtmann has that big energy, ie not an "old dude" which helps him in a lot of peoples eyes. 

Butler -> OHST -> SLU

it's just giving me a little too much CTF deja vu.

On 3/6/2024 at 1:24 PM, ACE said:

Mack famously said that Majerus was playing chess while he and other coaches were playing checkers.

He earns some points for that.

I always loved that quote. 

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Mooney's program absolutely bottomed out in 2018 with a 12-20 season followed by a 13-20 season.  That's where the Fire Mooney billboards came from.  But there was a path to redemption because he at least had a system.

-come on, be fair, CFord has a Plan to implement for next season

-also, couldn't The Weave With No Purpose be defined as a system?

6 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I always loved that quote. 

Just as importantly Majerus recruited players that bought into that and wanted to learn from the most knowledgable. He did not recruit guys that were not ready to absorb that coaching.

Those teams were very good; they still lost some games; but they always played fundamentally sound even when the shots weren't dropping everywhere. Will never forget how close we came to knocking off Mich St

1 minute ago, Cowboy II said:

-come on, be fair, CFord has a Plan to implement for next season

-also, couldn't The Weave With No Purpose be defined as a system?

trust the plan(to plunder SLU's treasury)

20 hours ago, SLU-Geo said:

F... Ford, May and anyone else who complaints of attendance at mid-week games, this town likes basketball and wants SLU to be good...the old fans remember the huge crowds when the teams were good.  Here are some attendance highlights from the 1994 season.  These were fun games and hot tickets.

Date Day of Week Attendance Opponent
2/23 Tuesday 18,411 Cincinnati
2/19 Friday 18,033 UAB
2/9 Tuesday 16,453 Iowa St
2/6 Saturday 17,209 Depaul
2/2 Tuesday 14,791 Dayton
1/26 Wednesday 18,158 Marquette
1/11 Tuesday 18,073 Memphis St.
12/30 Thursday 17,117 SUIC

Man I remember these times.  I was a senior in high school.  Had to use the phone to order tickets with my mom’s credit card.  A few friends and I would jump in the car and drive 40 miles on a school night to go see a game.  We’d park in someone’s yard because it was cheaper than parking in the lot.  Some great times for sure.  

1 minute ago, Soderball said:

Just as importantly Majerus recruited players that bought into that and wanted to learn from the most knowledgable. He did not recruit guys that were not ready to absorb that coaching.

Those teams were very good; they still lost some games; but they always played fundamentally sound even when the shots weren't dropping everywhere. Will never forget how close we came to knocking off Mich St

I'd disagree with this.  Rick brought in some guys who weren't total gym rats / not "ready to absorb his coaching".  Those guys (mostly) just transferred out.  If you didn't execute the way Rick demanded, you'd probably sit & he'd make things not very fun for you in practice.  Guys like Cody Ellis & Mike McCall I think are examples who stuck it out despite tough love.  I'm assuming guys like Ruben Cotto, Brett Thompson, Justin Jordan, etc. all left because they weren't "ready to absorb his coaching".

Soderball likes this

1 minute ago, RUBillsFan said:

I'd disagree with this.  Rick brought in some guys who weren't total gym rats / not "ready to absorb his coaching".  Those guys (mostly) just transferred out.  If you didn't execute the way Rick demanded, you'd probably sit & he'd make things not very fun for you in practice.  Guys like Cody Ellis & Mike McCall I think are examples who stuck it out despite tough love.  I'm assuming guys like Ruben Cotto, Brett Thompson, Justin Jordan, etc. all left because they weren't "ready to absorb his coaching".

McCall and Ellis both ended up being some serious ball players.

NextYearBill likes this

7 minutes ago, Soderball said:

McCall and Ellis both ended up being some serious ball players.

I seem to recall Majerus valuing guys who just love the game of basketball because when Rick Majerus calls you a C U Next Tuesday in front of the entire gym you really gotta love basketball to stick around. A guy like Kyle Cassity comes to mind as well as Cody Ellis. Those guys enjoyed themselves ALOT off the court. The kind of shithousery you wouldn't expect Majerus to tolerate.

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

I seem to recall Majerus valuing guys who just love the game of basketball because when Rick Majerus calls you a C U Next Tuesday in front of the entire gym you really gotta love basketball to stick around. 

Majerus called me a C U Next Tuesday once when I was setting out shirts for the blue out during his pregame walkthrough and he thought I was a spy

1 minute ago, slufan13 said:

Majerus called me a C U Next Tuesday once when I was setting out shirts for the blue out during his pregame walkthrough and he thought I was a spy

I've known you for how long and you've never told me this. 

6 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

called you a James Kennedy fan?  I'm hoping no one gets this awful joke/reference 

Littlebill likes this