GDT: SLU v. Vermont

SluSignGuy

26 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

At the end of the day, dozens of coaches around the country are routinely doing WAY more with WAY less than Ford has. 

You know now that recruiting isn't as big of a focus as find ways to pay players I am not near the Ford advocate I used to be, but your above statement is ridiculous.  

Please list your "dozens of coaches to educate everyone.   Thanks in advance for your education 

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

The point is that it's a rebuilding year whether it's freshmen or new to the team upperclassmen to lessen the blow.  It happens.  Nearly everywhere.

Not anymore, the portal and NIL have changed the game. It's not just the blue bloods reloading on 5* high school talent.

But for arguments sake: On what level does Travis Ford deserve or have earned the patience of a rebuild? I've said it before, not a single person on this board would be upset with this year had we gotten a tourney berth last year or the year before. 

Just now, billiken_roy said:

You know now that recruiting isn't as big of a focus as find ways to pay players I am not near the Ford advocate I used to be, but your above statement is ridiculous.  

Please list your "dozens of coaches to educate everyone.   Thanks in advance for your education 

I'll start:

1. the dude on the other end of the scorers table today.

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I don't want to waste a lot of time going into this, but at least a few in our own conference. So if theres a few in our own conference, im sure we can count a lot more pretty easily. 

30 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

Bruce can pass out of the center spot…..if someone will just get the ball to him inside.

Earl Austin said during the broadcast that Vermont has "post presence", which opens up their 3-pt shooters.  Bruce has the potential to be that post player for us.  

That said, it should be a pre-requisite for our posts to be able to kick the ball out.  If the post continually misses an open shooter for a forced "over the shoulder" heave, then we have other post options.

I like Dalger's hustle, but he has a total of 1 assist in 5 games.

4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

give me a break. Look at literally any mid major that has won a Tournament game or made multiple tournaments in the last 8 years and you have your answer.  I’d venture a guess that it’s a lot higher than 24. 

17 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Fine a grad transfer is exactly the same as a kid who's been with the team for years.  Got it.... 

isn’t the point of a grad transfer that they’re experienced and can contribute at a high level right away?   These excuses for Travis are getting really good. 

2 minutes ago, Dr Bird said:

Earl Austin said during the broadcast that Vermont has "post presence", which opens up their 3-pt shooters.  Bruce has the potential to be that post player for us.  

That said, it should be a pre-requisite for our posts to be able to kick the ball out.  If the post continually misses an open shooter for a forced "over the shoulder" heave, then we have other post options.

I like Dalger's hustle, but he has a total of 1 assist in 5 games.

Yes, it makes it easier.  But we're still given chances to shoot more 3's and passing on that chance. Not having a downlow game will make it hard for us to shoot 26, 27, 30 a game.  But we're able to at least get to 23 or 24.

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I don't want to waste a lot of time going into this, but at least a few in our own conference. So if theres a few in our own conference, im sure we can count a lot more pretty easily. 

Few = dozens?  Change your statement and I wouldn't say a word 

6 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Not anymore, the portal and NIL have changed the game. It's not just the blue bloods reloading on 5* high school talent.

But for arguments sake: On what level does Travis Ford deserve or have earned the patience of a rebuild? I've said it before, not a single person on this board would be upset with this year had we gotten a tourney berth last year or the year before. 

I'm with you about last year, but the year before that... the team's preseason conference player of the year was injured for the season. Expecting the team to STILL make the Dance that season is not a TF problem, it's a problem of those fans who held unrealistic expectations.

This will not be a popular take for some, but I thought Ford did an excellent job that season (2021-22) adapting to the sudden loss of Perk. In fact (and this might trigger people) Ford did a much better job with his team than board darling Mark Schmidt did that season with the experienced team that he had and projected to win the conference.

On the flip side in the big picture, I think it's fair to question whether TF is best to lead the program forward.

thetorch likes this

Just now, ACE said:

I'm with you about last year, but the year before that... the team's preseason conference player of the year was injured for the season. Expecting the team to STILL make the Dance that season is not a TF problem, it's a problem of those fans who held unrealistic expectations.

This will not be a popular take for some, but I thought Ford did an excellent job that season (2021-22) adapting to the sudden loss of Perk. In fact (and this might trigger people) Ford did a much better job with his team than board darling Mark Schmidt did that season with the experienced team that he had and projected to win the conference.

On the flip side in the big picture, I think it's fair to question whether TF is best to lead the program forward.

Great post. Solid points.

2 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

“We are gonna shoot 30 threes a game!”

Here's the thing, we know before we even play the game if a team is good down low. And if we dont, we know within 5 minutes of PT if they are good down Low.  I dont care if 3s are contested, we're gonna have a better chance with contested 3's than going against even above average bigs.  And this will be the case for about 75% of our remaining games if not higher.  Travis is all talk.  

2 minutes ago, ACE said:

Well written sir.

3 minutes ago, ACE said:

Thats fine, and I get that.  But at what point do we look into the mirror and say, you know what, Travis has been unlucky(which he has) but how long do we keep doing this. 

3 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Here's the thing, we know before we even play the game if a team is good down low. And if we dont, we know within 5 minutes of PT if they are good down Low.  I dont care if 3s are contested, we're gonna have a better chance with contested 3's than going against even above average bigs.  And this will be the case for about 75% of our remaining games if not higher.  Travis is all talk.  

I don't agree with this. We give up way to many open 3's especially in the corners. Todays game changed early on with them nailing 3's. Use your bench if you have to and hack the opositions big men. Make them shoot free throws if you have to. It's my opinion that games are won at the 3 point line. 

11 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Pat Kelsey

The same pat Kelsey from College of Charleston that got beat by the same Vermont team almost exactly the same way we just did and this moment is losing to the same Wyoming team we beat yesterday?  Guess that choice is up for review based on most recent performance.

28 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

The point is that it's a rebuilding year whether it's freshmen or new to the team upperclassmen to lessen the blow.  It happens.  Nearly everywhere.

I’d argue that for it to be a true rebuilding year there has to be a sense of hope for the future. At least when we were getting whacked at Dook under Majerus, you could tell Jordair, McCall, Loe, Evans, etc had a bright future, and they were getting valuable experience.  Does anyone honestly feel like we are headed in the correct direction under Ford?

not trying to constantly come after you, Rich, you’re just one of the few Ford Defense Team brave enough to post after that debacle today, which is respectable. 

2 minutes ago, willie said:

I don't agree with this. We give up way to many open 3's especially in the corners. Todays game changed early on with them nailing 3's. Use your bench if you have to and hack the opositions big men. Make them shoot free throws if you have to. It's my opinion that games are won at the 3 point line. 

Im talking about on offense for us.