Womens Basketball 2023-2024

thetorch

As long as we’re playing the guessing game, I hope it’s Maryam Dauda from Arkansas. Yes, only listed as 6’4”, but in playing 946 minutes and starting 33 games for the Razorbacks, she averaged 10.1 pts a game, 6.3 rebounds a game, 74 total blocks. 

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

As long as we’re playing the guessing game, I hope it’s Maryam Dauda from Arkansas. Yes, only listed as 6’4”, but in playing 946 minutes and starting 33 games for the Razorbacks, she averaged 10.1 pts a game, 6.3 rebounds a game, 74 total blocks. 

Not asking TOO much are you? 🤣

Coach Tillett gets two today, Mya Glanton AND Marilena Triantafylli. Mya Glanton (from East St Louis) 6 ft forward has 1 year left coming from Indiana State, Marilena Triantafylli had 3 years left, born in Athens, Greece. Mya was Indiana State’s leading scorer, 11.2 ppg, 6.9 Rebs/game. Marilena got very little playing time last year at Syracuse, only 23 total minutes. Let Brooke Flowers teach her all summer. Between them, much more depth close to the basket, should be a great help to the team. Still one scholarship left.

Pistol and BuiltFordBills like this

1 hour ago, Lord Elrond said:

Between grabbing their men’s coach, 2 top players off the men’s team, and now Mya Glanton, how much do you think Indiana State fans hate us right now? 😁

Don’t see anything on their message board about Mya yet.

On 4/30/2024 at 12:32 PM, Lord Elrond said:

Coach Tillett gets two today, Mya Glanton AND Marilena Triantafylli. Mya Glanton (from East St Louis) 6 ft forward has 1 year left coming from Indiana State, Marilena Triantafylli had 3 years left, born in Athens, Greece. Mya was Indiana State’s leading scorer, 11.2 ppg, 6.9 Rebs/game. Marilena got very little playing time last year at Syracuse, only 23 total minutes. Let Brooke Flowers teach her all summer. Between them, much more depth close to the basket, should be a great help to the team. Still one scholarship left.

And Kiley Bess was the second leading scorer on the ISU team:  11.1 ppg.  

• 5 weeks later...

A few things for women’s basketball.  It looks like Nafatoumata Haidara will be returning next year.  Back in November of last year I was told that she was trying to come back from her knee surgery, and was hopeful of getting into games before the end of the season, but she was planning on getting her degree in the spring and moving back to Mali regardless of playing or not. Apparently she has changed her mind, she’s still on the revised roster on the SLU website which has all the newcomers added (transfers and freshmen) and people not coming back removed. So it looks like she’s coming back, which means we could have two 6’5” players on the court at the same time. It also means that we are still 2 short of the NCAA women’s limit of 15 on our roster, I’m not aware of any offers to fill those yet. Also, the A10 Championship for women’s Basketball will be at the Henrico, VA site through 2026. I was not aware that it set attendance records for the event, but per the A10 website it did. Makes sense given how close it was to many A10 schools. If attendance still keeps going, they may need a bigger site (there was one session this year that sold out, but the place only holds 3500 spectators max).

8 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

A few things for women’s basketball.  It looks like Nafatoumata Haidara will be returning next year.  Back in November of last year I was told that she was trying to come back from her knee surgery, and was hopeful of getting into games before the end of the season, but she was planning on getting her degree in the spring and moving back to Mali regardless of playing or not. Apparently she has changed her mind, she’s still on the revised roster on the SLU website which has all the newcomers added (transfers and freshmen) and people not coming back removed. So it looks like she’s coming back, which means we could have two 6’5” players on the court at the same time. It also means that we are still 2 short of the NCAA women’s limit of 15 on our roster, I’m not aware of any offers to fill those yet. Also, the A10 Championship for women’s Basketball will be at the Henrico, VA site through 2026. I was not aware that it set attendance records for the event, but per the A10 website it did. Makes sense given how close it was to many A10 schools. If attendance still keeps going, they may need a bigger site (there was one session this year that sold out, but the place only holds 3500 spectators max).

Do you know if Bri Johns will be back? She's the only other one I was uncertain about. (Edit: She's on the updated roster as a grad student, so I guess she is.)

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Do you know if Bri Johns will be back? She's the only other one I was uncertain about. (Edit: She's on the updated roster as a grad student, so I guess she is.)

She's listed on the SLU NIL store as well.

14 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

She's listed on the SLU NIL store as well.

That's the definitive factor, then. She's back.

6 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

Problem is, that’s not the time of year Coach Tillett’s teams are playing their best.

We gotta break that sometime, we can't do the .500 to heater in postseason every year, lol.

58 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

We gotta break that sometime, we can't do the .500 to heater in postseason every year, lol.

It’s a 3 year trend, however

2021-2022 at Longwood, her team opened up 7-10, then flipped the switch Jan 19th, went 15-2 from that point on, including 3 wins to win the Big South tournament and automatic bid to the NCAA, won the play in game in the NCAA, then lost in round 1

2022-2023 at St Louis, her team opened up 6-16, then flipped the switch Jan 28th, went 11-2 from that point on, including 3 wins to win the A10 tournament (for the first time in program history), went to the NCAA (for the first time in program history), but drew a much harder seed in the tournament and lost in the first round

2023-2024, the team opened up 9-15, then flipped the switch Feb 11th, went 13-3 from that point on, including 6 straight wins (only 1 of those at home) to win the first WNIT in program history 

Once is luck, twice is lucky beyond belief, but three years in a row?  That’s a stunning trend that proves she’s a coach who makes players better and builds an outstanding cohesive team,but I’d sure like to see some wins in Nov, Dec, and Jan as well. Heck, maybe she can keep this trend going…

2 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

It’s a 3 year trend, however

2021-2022 at Longwood, her team opened up 7-10, then flipped the switch Jan 19th, went 15-2 from that point on, including 3 wins to win the Big South tournament and automatic bid to the NCAA, won the play in game in the NCAA, then lost in round 1

2022-2023 at St Louis, her team opened up 6-16, then flipped the switch Jan 28th, went 11-2 from that point on, including 3 wins to win the A10 tournament (for the first time in program history), went to the NCAA (for the first time in program history), but drew a much harder seed in the tournament and lost in the first round

2023-2024, the team opened up 9-15, then flipped the switch Feb 11th, went 13-3 from that point on, including 6 straight wins (only 1 of those at home) to win the first WNIT in program history 

Once is luck, twice is lucky beyond belief, but three years in a row?  That’s a stunning trend that proves she’s a coach who makes players better and builds an outstanding cohesive team,but I’d sure like to see some wins in Nov, Dec, and Jan as well. Heck, maybe she can keep this trend going…

Coach Tillett is a women's empowerment guru who happens to be a basketball coach.  Unusual arcs to her seasons but you can't argue with the results.