Very Interesting...

Schasz

Everyone defending Ford sound like the same people defending Lisa Stone last year. I don’t hate Ford, I really thought he was a good pick 7 years ago, but what job could you not hit your targets/plan 6 out of 7 years, get paid a lot of money and still have your job? I think it’s a fair question to ask. Every year the program gets hyped up, great recruiter, best team in program history, under performs,  rinse and repeat. There are coaches that can recruit and coach out there you know. Travis Ford isn’t Phil Jackson or Coach K. That’s my point. He for sure helped build program up after Crews era. Just wondering why people think this program can’t demand better? I trust AD and BoT so maybe they know more than the rest of us do. They’ve definitely invested the money. 

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, HenryB said:

Since you have identified yourself as one who knows the future can you go ahead and tell us the complete roster and our won/lost record next year? Also, wondering if some on this board actually enjoy basketball?  Never seen such depth of misery in something that is an optional activity. 

You know I did notice the negative trends this year ahead of most.  I believe i have a win record already. Give me a bit on the roster etc. I'll have to consult the oracle.

The thing is for some of us this is a big part of our life.   7 years now maybe another is a long time to keep just caring so much and never quite getting there.  Yeah it's optional and yeah it shouldn't affect us so much but it does. 

PS sick burn though with that telling the future bit.

Bizziken likes this

12 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

You know I did notice the negative trends this year ahead of most.  I believe i have a win record already. Give me a bit on the roster etc. I'll have to consult the oracle.

The thing is for some of us this is a big part of our life.   7 years now maybe another is a long time to keep just caring so much and never quite getting there.  Yeah it's optional and yeah it shouldn't affect us so much but it does. 

PS sick burn though with that telling the future bit.

Lol...a sick burn would have been me predicting what will be said on this board 5 years from now when Ford is still our coach. 

1 minute ago, HenryB said:

Lol...a sick burn would have been me predicting what will be said on this board 5 years from now when Ford is still our coach. 

That truly would've made me sick.

But I would've gone to the 2 NIT Appearances he led us to in that time.  

5 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

well show me the money.   detail exactly how we fire ford, hire a big name coach that is almost a guarantee to take us to the next level and get in the NiL game.   then please list the boosters and how much they will contribute to make that all happen.   if you think slu just bucks up, you need to research the track record of the BoT.   they arent going to pay what the bill will be for those three things to happen imo.  

so yes there is a barrier.   i just asked you to explain to everyone how we can get past it.   you do that you not only help all of the rest of us get completely on your side but also i guess you would help our administration make this decision.   i am pretty sure that is our administrations "barrier" as well.  so you would be doing the entire billiken world a big favor.  thanks so much for your service.

I never said hire a big name coach. The will come when enough people have had enough and it starts as a trickle always. I also have said he will be back next year so take a longer view as some have. The big money people will also grow tired of their money not producing. It has to start somewhere and now is somewhere. He has the off season to start so now onus is on him

On 3/6/2023 at 9:01 PM, 2010andBeyond said:

Not sure I get all the hand wringing over May’s comments. What’s he supposed to say? The conf tourney hasn’t even started. 

IMO, he should have at least acknowledged fan climate. I hate buzzwords, but it almost reached gaslighting the way he talked about this season. Don't treat fans like they are stupid. He could have easily said, this season has been tough, Travis Ford is our coach and Brooklyn is a "new opportunity" for this team.

In fact, I've been around Chris May enough to know that's exactly something that would come out of his mouth. I've seen him be non-committal on countless occasions. 

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

Sharp doesn't have any eligibility left unless he gets some special kind of waiver from the NCAA.  He was hurt last season at MO St., but he played after the midway point of the season.  That means he cant get a medical waiver.

Hampton is from St. Louis.  He played at U City and then went to Link Prep.

Not that this is important, Sharp isn't coming to SLU, but the MO ST website has him playing 8 games in the 20-21 season, with his last game right before the mid point of the season.  I am intrigued to see how this package deal works out, and at what cost.  (I really don't know why I bothered to check.)

7 hours ago, wgstl said:

So firing Ford, and hiring a big name coach who can get us winning would not help our chances?  Even though at some point they will expand the BE?  Sitting on our arse and being content is why. And we're doing that right now.  Always trying to better your program is something they want to see. 

One of the analysts during the Memphis game called Chaifetz a P5 like venue. If the national media can see the potential, then the fanbase and boosters should as well.

So yes, I am on board to stick with Ford to see if he can figure out how to step up to the next level of winning

What in his quarter century history of coaching does it suggest that what you are saying might happen ?

Chris Collins had one of the hottest seats in college basketball heading in this year, will be a front runner for national coach of the year after the job he had done with Northwestern. 

Let's light some fire under Travis for the first time in his tenure and see how he performs. If he doesn't perform, good riddance. 

Dr. Holly Hills likes this

1 minute ago, gabriel said:

Chris Collins had one of the hottest seats in college basketball heading in this year, will be a front runner for national coach of the year after the job he had done with Northwestern. 

Let's light some fire under Travis for the first time in his tenure and see how he performs. If he doesn't perform, good riddance. 

Not trying to deflect from collins, but Lowry was a huge reason for that defense to be what they were 

gabriel likes this

2 hours ago, VeniceMenace said:

Can Tillett coach both teams? That would be great, miraculous turnaround this season!

Incredible! I watched my first women’s game this year. I believe May hit a home run with her and Beatty. He’s actually hired really well. 

VeniceMenace likes this

6 hours ago, Schasz said:

Agree winning 20 games when you play in a league that isn't Power 5 is not a reason to have a parade and once we lose in this year's A-10 Tourney Ford (the highest paid HC in the A-10) will be 1 for 7 in making the NCAA. With a pearl like Chaifetz fans should expect much more than that from their HC who is the highest paid in his conference. Not too many conferences allow their head basketball that much leeway!

Small time sports department delivers small time results.

look at the baseball program. Yes, they’re winning, but the resources are the pits. The fact that Lindenwood has better facilities than them should be a cause for concern.

Just now, DOC said:

Incredible! I watched my first women’s game this year. I believe May hit a home run with her and Beatty. He’s actually hired really well. 

But his apparent vision for the SLU Men's Basketball team is in stark contrast to his visions when it comes to the recent hires who have all brought culture with them. Ford is a talent guy over culture. Our most entertaining years were when dudes were living and breathing Team Blue. Now it just feels like a hashtag.

10 minutes ago, gabriel said:

That came with a pretty notable assistant shakeup. Chris Lowery totally revamped their defense. I don’t necessarily feel like that’s in the cards here. Tate and Phil are not going anywhere for their respective reasons. Corey is tied to STL, Phil to Travis. I doubt Bailey is going to bolt after a year considering he was coming back to Travis after initially accepting at UMass. So it’s harder to see something changing  considering the voices are all the same. 

I don’t think the program will fall off the map, and we’ll likely win between 18 and 20 games. But it’s the same position of limbo we’ve been in for a couple seasons. That doesn’t exactly excite me. 

11 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

But his apparent vision for the SLU Men's Basketball team is in stark contrast to his visions when it comes to the recent hires who have all brought culture with them. Ford is a talent guy over culture. Our most entertaining years were when dudes were living and breathing Team Blue. Now it just feels like a hashtag.

The culture in Fords first 5 years was excellent. Bully ball and teamblue were staples of the program. In the last 2 years it’s dropped off considerably. No argument there. But it’s as much on the players to develop it and spread it to the new players. Guys like Goodwin, Bess and French. Those guys were top notch leaders. We don’t have anyone who comes close to that this year. Thatch was as close as it got to it. 

56 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

SLU doesn’t even get in 

2014 was the last time the Bills won an NCAAT game and the Cardinals a game in the NLCS round.  Only one playoff series win since then and that was because Atlanta spit the bit.

6 minutes ago, DOC said:

The culture in Fords first 5 years was excellent. Bully ball and teamblue were staples of the program. In the last 2 years it’s dropped off considerably. No argument there. But it’s as much on the players to develop it and spread it to the new players. Guys like Goodwin, Bess and French. Those guys were top notch leaders. We don’t have anyone who comes close to that this year. Thatch was as close as it got to it. 

You can’t think that here. When players play poorly and we lose it’s bad coaching (except sometimes it’s also bad Yuri). When players play well and we win. It’s all due to the players

4 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

You can’t think that here. When players play poorly and we lose it’s bad coaching (except sometimes it’s also bad Yuri). When players play well and we win. It’s all due to the players

I guess I'm not sure where this is going.  We talk about how great it was with those guys and the leadership, but we were one shot away from that group of players being a bigger disappointment then the current 4 year group.

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

I guess I'm not sure where this is going.  We talk about how great it was with those guys and the leadership, but we were one shot away from that group of players being a bigger disappointment than the current 4 year group.

Talking about the culture under Ford. 

1 hour ago, BC1764 said:

2014 was the last time the Bills won an NCAAT game and the Cardinals a game in the NLCS round.  Only one playoff series win since then and that was because Atlanta spit the bit.

My point is the Cards at least get in to lose where as the Bills don’t even get in. Not sure why you are having such a tough time understanding this